------------Forster

Cedric Yoshida VVD Targett

------------Romeu-----------

-------Hojbjerg-Davis

-------------Tadic

--------Redmond--Long--------------

I agree with all of that.

I agree with all of that.

Seconded! I had hopes that this 4-4-2 formation was trying out a possible alternative, but the extent that we've played it (have we played the 4-3-3 at any stage in the last few games?) suggests to me that 4-4-2 is very much plan A.

Be interesting to see if we have a poor few games at the start of the season, whether we will revert back to 4-3-3.

Seems a big ask to get a new manager to come in, lost a few of our best players, change formation, and still be successful....

When you look at your two suggested formations, there wouldn't be a huge amount of adjustment required to go to the 4-3-3. The main change would be Tadic going to the left, but everything else would be a minor tweak. Funny how different they seem (notwithstanding different player instructions) it practice though!

Unlikely they've been practising the diamond without an intention to play it and Watford looks to be an ideal opponent.

Long Redmond

Classie

Tadic Davis

Hojberg

Targett V.V.D Yoshida Cedric

Forster

Bench: McCarthy, McQueen, Fonte, Romeu, JWP, Austin, AN other

Unlikely they've been practising the diamond without an intention to play it and Watford looks to be an ideal opponent.

Long Redmond

Classie

Tadic Davis

Hojberg

Targett V.V.D Yoshida Cedric

Forster

Bench: McCarthy, McQueen, Fonte, Romeu, JWP, Austin, AN other

You would drop Romeu who has been our best midfielder for Classie who has contributed the sum of bugger all apart from looking neat and tidy?

Glad your not picking the team.

You would drop Romeu who has been our best midfielder for Classie who has contributed the sum of bugger all apart from looking neat and tidy?

Glad your not picking the team.

Why on Earth would anyone put clasie in the 10 position?

We have looked solid at the back against the Spanish sides hardly conceding a chance so that looks good

We lack a focal point for the attack we are constantly getting the ball wide in good positions and not crossing due to nothing to aim at which is a worry

We have looked very tidy in possession just wonder if we will score enough goals

http://www.wfcforums.com/showthread.php?58542-Southampton-v-Watford-13th-August-2016

Blimey, they sound even less confident that some of us lot on here. FWIW I think our team doesn't have the same level of quality as last year, but we're still a good team. There aren't many better opening fixtures we could have had this season than Watford at home. I can see us winning this fairly comfortably. 2-0. Long MOTM

Lovren = £20m

VVD= £11.5m

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

But 20m for lovren was a 2nd stage move. We bought him for 8m didn't we?

Saying that, vvd far better than lovren and pretty much every CB we've ever had!

http://www.wfcforums.com/showthread.php?58542-Southampton-v-Watford-13th-August-2016

Blimey, they sound even less confident that some of us lot on here. FWIW I think our team doesn't have the same level of quality as last year, but we're still a good team. There aren't many better opening fixtures we could have had this season than Watford at home. I can see us winning this fairly comfortably. 2-0. Long MOTM

Theyr'e much better bedwetters than us lot.

We've won on the opening day in all of our PL seasons just twice from 17 attempts, comfortably the worst stats %ge-wise in the whole of the league (yesterday's Sunday Mirror if someone can find it/link it).

A betting man might say one of two things: pile on Watford, Saints rarely win in the first game, or, in a contest with three reasonably equal outcomes there is a good chance of a sequence of 2/17 becoming 3/18.......

0-0 looks a good bet, 1-0 if we can nick one, 1-1 if we score and cock-up!

Haven't really seen much of pre-season other than some of the comments on here, the comments on the defense are reassuring, the comments on the lack of goals/creativity are concerning. Guess we will see on Saturday, a solid 2-0 would be just the ticket!

Presumably Watford have sold out their end?

Yes completely sold out 3300 according to their website. We must give one of the biggest allocations in the premier league.

Rare for August home games to sell out so good to see. If the open up resale for season ticket holders a few more seats might become available with people being away.

My prediction 1-1 draw. Game between 2 managers who have no experience of the Premier league and still trying to work out their best XI

Yes completely sold out 3300 according to their website. We must give one of the biggest allocations in the premier league.

Rare for August home games to sell out so good to see. If the open up resale for season ticket holders a few more seats might become available with people being away.

My prediction 1-1 draw. Game between 2 managers who have no experience of the Premier league and still trying to work out their best XI

That just sounds like they're 'rounding' up in a big way! Max visitors allocation is usually just over 3,100, it can't be any more because of the dividing barrier in the concourse and segregation netting behind the goal. The only way they could get another couple of hundred seats is if the club are just going to use a line of stewards to separate rival fans. I guess Watford fans may be seen as low risk.

That just sounds like they're 'rounding' up in a big way! Max visitors allocation is usually just over 3,100, it can't be any more because of the dividing barrier in the concourse and segregation netting behind the goal. The only way they could get another couple of hundred seats is if the club are just going to use a line of stewards to separate rival fans. I guess Watford fans may be seen as low risk.

Are you joking ... if The Brimson (?) Brothers are to be believed, they are The Top Firm ever. :mcinnes:

Think we'll either draw 0-0 or lose 1-0. The manager has already made a big error IMO in choosing a formation that doesn't suit the important players in the team and I think we'll struggle to score goals or even create chances. The back 8 looks fairly solid when all are fit so i expect a fairly dull season as it stands with a lot of low scoring games

Many reckon we will start with both Targett and Yoshida?! We will be in for a long afternoon :(

Well, Bertrand is definitely out so Targett is a given. Fonte may be fit enough but if he isn't then Yoshida will play. Obviously not ideal but no need to panic.

Think we'll either draw 0-0 or lose 1-0. The manager has already made a big error IMO in choosing a formation that doesn't suit the important players in the team and I think we'll struggle to score goals or even create chances. The back 8 looks fairly solid when all are fit so i expect a fairly dull season as it stands with a lot of low scoring games
Why are Watford better than us? Having us lose you think they are a better team, what players have they brought in to suggest that?

Why are Watford better than us? Having us lose you think they are a better team, what players have they brought in to suggest that?

I don't think they have a better team, but the better team doesn't always win. I just don't think they'll be set up as badly we will be. Hope I'm wrong on that one. On top of that we are without Bertrand, with Fonte and Cedric have played only 45 mins each of pre-season, I get the feeling the season is coming too soon for us and a few other clubs who had players going deep in the euros.

If it is true that we are giving the tickets to them for just £20 then ofc we will sell out at max capacity. I hope the Northam and Itchen will be ready for some high volume chanting.

We must be the nicest club in the Prem, sell our players regularly and now subsidise the away fans at SMS to £20.

Many reckon we will start with both Targett and Yoshida?! We will be in for a long afternoon :(

We played 3 centre backs against Watford last season as they play two forwards. So wouldn't be that surprising to see the same again with Targett as left wing back.

What I don't get with the diamond, is the lack of parternships. That's what a good central midfield is built on and we've had it go really well for us. I can't work out who plays where. Romeu, Clasie and Hojbjerg could all play the DM role, or in front of that, but then do you need three, would Davis play deeper, would we lose his link play further forward. It all just looks like a congested mess to me but guess we'll see in the next few weeks!

I just like width really, whether 442, 4411 or 4231 or 433. I don't recall 41212 working anywhere but football manager. Seems like something a panicked hodgson would do.

I think the diamond would work in the league. But I really do not think we have the players to do that over a stretch of games.

Seeing Austin drop well wide is just bizarre

Long will do well in this system, jrod should do.

Redmond not sold on at all. Neither were many of the posters on here as there was little love for him in another thread below about relegated players we would want

Get a cracking no.10 and we could be in business but move tadic centrally, Austin dropping wide and Redmond playing as a striker is a bit odd

We shall see

What I don't get with the diamond, is the lack of parternships. That's what a good central midfield is built on and we've had it go really well for us. I can't work out who plays where. Romeu, Clasie and Hojbjerg could all play the DM role, or in front of that, but then do you need three, would Davis play deeper, would we lose his link play further forward. It all just looks like a congested mess to me but guess we'll see in the next few weeks!

I just like width really, whether 442, 4411 or 4231 or 433. I don't recall 41212 working anywhere but football manager. Seems like something a panicked hodgson would do.

For the 41212 to work you really need Ibrahima Bakayoko as the number 10.

The diamond suddenly looks worthwhile if you have a Le tosser type in there. Two mobile forwards, 3 strong midfielders behind and a creative player running things. We don't have that.

Harsh mate. He was quite good for us!!

I think the diamond would work in the league. But I really do not think we have the players to do that over a stretch of games.

Seeing Austin drop well wide is just bizarre

Long will do well in this system, jrod should do.

Redmond not sold on at all. Neither were many of the posters on here as there was little love for him in another thread below about relegated players we would want

Get a cracking no.10 and we could be in business but move tadic centrally, Austin dropping wide and Redmond playing as a striker is a bit odd

We shall see

Surprised to read that, IMO he has looked very sharp in recent friendlies and I am confident that he will get into double figures for goals this season !

Once the system settles down I reckon that he could play a Walcott type role, using his pace through the middle !

All about opinions I guess !!

Surprised to read that, IMO he has looked very sharp in recent friendlies and I am confident that he will get into double figures for goals this season !

Once the system settles down I reckon that he could play a Walcott type role, using his pace through the middle !

All about opinions I guess !!

Batman's never seen a live game apart from t.v

Thought both Redmond and Hojberg looked v promising against Espanyol and Athletic. Nathan's got great balance, and Hodgeburger just looks to have something about him. Jeremy Pied didn't do himself any harm in the 2nd half against Bilbao either - one great cross for Charlie in particular.