Watford Build Up

Lighthouse

Quote Originally Posted by Batman

I think the diamond would work in the league. But I really do not think we have the players to do that over a stretch of games.

What is a league if not a stretch of games?

In Batman's world, it's about six thousand feet.

Edited by hutch

Quote Originally Posted by Batman

I think the diamond would work in the league. But I really do not think we have the players to do that over a stretch of games.

What is a league if not a stretch of games?

I think with the players we have, it (at the moment) would be similar to when Koeman reverted to 3 at the back.

worked for a short spell then he had to switch back to his the tried and tested set up.

Quite a few fans I've spoken to seem to be taking Watford for granted. Fortunately, I don't think the players will adopt the same attitude. Its easy to think of Watford as a recent arrival from the championship and its true this is only their second season of their current stay in the top flight but they did finish with 13th last season with 45 points, well clear of the relegation zone and above Bournemouth who had pipped them to Championship title when they were both automatically promoted. Last season we took 4 points of them, winning at home and drawing away. I'm confident we will win, especially because IMO the three outfield summer signings have added to our strength, but the team does need to settle down and manage the new system. We shouldn't expect it to be a walkover but I hope I'm wrong and its 5-0.

Can see us winning this one 5-0 unless we get too complacent at the back and let the odd one in. We'll probably beat ManUre as well next Friday as well but that's for a different thread and time.

This. We've been one of the best teams in the league for the last 3 years, if a little inconsistent. But we regularly beat the big teams, play decent footy and Watford are just fūcking Watford.

I think a lot of people take losing some good players every summer too much to heart. It won't EVER stop happening. Get used to it and trust that the people being paid a ridiculous money to run the club and team know what they are doing.

Mods - Please delete any trace of this post when we lose 0-2 on Saturday.

I

This. We've been one of the best teams in the league for the last 3 years, if a little inconsistent. But we regularly beat the big teams, play decent footy and Watford are just fūcking Watford.

I think a lot of people take losing some good players every summer too much to heart. It won't EVER stop happening. Get used to it and trust that the people being paid a ridiculous money to run the club and team know what they are doing.

Mods - Please delete any trace of this post when we lose 0-2 on Saturday.

Fair play

Let's be honest, we're all looking forward more to getting back to the Saturday ritual of a cheeky few beers, a small bet, and singing songs about what a c**t RoKo is.

Absolutely! My only prediction for Saturday is that by half time i will be on the outside of a couple of beers, and by full time i will be emotionally stressed in some way, good or bad.

Absolutely! My only prediction for Saturday is that by half time i will be on the outside of a couple of beers, and by full time i will be emotionally stressed in some way, good or bad.

Same here but being able to letch hot babes in swimwear if the football is sh!te helps!! 8)

Do you still have to go out on the balcony for Lucky Fag Breaks?

Didn't know he struggled with English, has to get every question translated!

I think he understands the gist of the questions but is just checking out any nuances with the translator to avoid any potential misinterpretations. Wise move IMO.

My god Puel is boring to listen to zzzzx

Didn't someone somewhere in the build up to us signing him say that Puel is completely different in front of the cameras compared to when he's with the players, I believe they went on to say to expect boring press conferences but behind the scenes the players all loved him.

He's got too many platitudinous replies and its going to be a question of checking the nuances of what he says it seems at these events..

Incidentally his translator / assistant is not all that good i'm sorry to say - don't like criticizing a mans work and potential livelihood but he clearly missed out aspects of the questions put to Puel in his English to French interpretations for him which then in turn did Puel no favours in assisting giving a meaningful accurate or intelligent sounding answer either, and actually make him look rather bad by directing him to not answer the sense of the question put. Hope that's not a sign of things to come because its going to be darn frustrating and id rather he answer from the heart in french than via a poor translator in very generic english terms which are largely meaningless. French to English is not all that hard so I'm very surprised. Example being when asked if the players+ squad had made a welcome for euro winners Soares and Jose the translator paraphrased it poorly in a generalized way to sound like what was the clubs response to them winning euros - NOT the question asked - clearly the obviously saints friendly questioner was hoping to get a nice "great reaction from the lads to cedric and jose when they arrived back and its a sign of great team spirit/ team bonding" type of answer so the question was basically a nice dolly ball to be hit away for 4 runs nicely - except it was badly translated so Puel missed that altogether and his low energy generic response about how good it was to have two winners come back came across as lame and "meh" about it.

My verdict impression of the conference im afraid was a 4/10. He must do better than that - not inspirational at all frankly, more sleep inducing than exciting to have him as our leader.

My god Puel is boring to listen to zzzzx

Didn't someone somewhere in the build up to us signing him say that Puel is completely different in front of the cameras compared to when he's with the players, I believe they went on to say to expect boring press conferences but behind the scenes the players all loved him.

He's got too many platitudinous replies and its going to be a question of checking the nuances of what he says it seems at these events..

Incidentally his translator / assistant is not all that good i'm sorry to say - don't like criticizing a mans work and potential livelihood but he clearly missed out aspects of the questions put to Puel in his English to French interpretations for him which then in turn did Puel no favours in assisting giving a meaningful accurate or intelligent sounding answer either, and actually make him look rather bad by directing him to not answer the sense of the question put. Hope that's not a sign of things to come because its going to be darn frustrating and id rather he answer from the heart in french than via a poor translator in very generic english terms which are largely meaningless. French to English is not all that hard so I'm very surprised. Example being when asked if the players+ squad had made a welcome for euro winners Soares and Jose the translator paraphrased it poorly in a generalized way to sound like what was the clubs response to them winning euros - NOT the question asked - clearly the obviously saints friendly questioner was hoping to get a nice "great reaction from the lads to cedric and jose when they arrived back and its a sign of great team spirit/ team bonding" type of answer so the question was basically a nice dolly ball to be hit away for 4 runs nicely - except it was badly translated so Puel missed that altogether and his low energy generic response about how good it was to have two winners come back came across as lame and "meh" about it.

My verdict impression of the conference im afraid was a 4/10. He must do better than that - not inspirational at all frankly, more sleep inducing than exciting to have him as our leader.

That is the problem with the French, they never understood cricket.

Another thing that often doesn't help with our club interviews is the muppet interviewer who starts every question with the answer he wants:

"How pleased are you that.....?"

"How pleasing was it that.....?"

"How much are you looking forward to.....?"

"How happy are the players that......?"

Sappy questions, like talking to a kid.

I can't understand what he is saying when he is speaking English. He should stick to speaking in French because I would much easily get what he is saying.

We can look forward to hearing him over the PA video then on Saturday.

I've tried. I have honestly tried, but I find Puel unlistenable. I don't have the attention span or the fortitude to get past 30 seconds. I just hope I didn't miss anything important.

Anyhoo...As long as he does a good job for us, I won't care about that. I just hope that the Arabian Eric doesn't have to rely on posting pics of the 'nonne sexy' to get us the results we need.

I'll still be taking lucky fag breaks though......And all the experts on this forum think it's all about formations!!! :o

Edited by Ohio Saint

Puel spoke well today. Much better at it when the questions are translated for him.

Managers, or players for that matter, don't need to speak fluent English.

Mane can't speak English very well but it didn't stop him scoring the fastest ever PL hat trick. Poch wasn't great at English either.

They all better at life than most of us I reckon. I can't iron for sh!t but I'm fùcking good on computers.