Manchester City Build up & Match Thread

niceandfriendly

Yup, we had a great break brewing down the left just before their disallowed equaliser. If I'm not mistaken, the usual suspect was responsible for the decision to pick a high percentage ball into midfield rather than the riskier ball down the line, and as a result we handed possession back and almost gave up the lead. It doesn't even make a lot of sense - I'd much rather lose the ball near city's corner flag than on the centre circle.

And it's counter-productive in the longer term, because opposition won't feel threatened so much, gain confidence and attack more.

We're giving them way too much in our half and relying on their mistakes to keep the lead.

Apparently Man City are having an off day. This is a well known phenomena when Saints play a "big" team and things don't go as expected.

Plenty of time yet

Haha, yup. Yet again a team "playing badly" when Saints are doing well against them.

A discussion which came up on a recent thread (maybe the Inter game?). Also happened in the matches with WHam, Burnley, Palace, Swansea, etc etc.

Strange that...

For me Clasie could do with coming off. There have been a few opportunities for him to get the ball forward but he's passed sideways or backwards instead. Couple of dodgy passes and on a yellow card. Might be time for Hojberg.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Good half... well played lads

Clasie, Romeu and Redmond doing very well that half

Hope we have enough fuel in the tank to see this one out

We've not won away at City for ages?

We've done nothing other than lose on our last 5 visits. Last time we got a result Beattie, Phillips and Pahars were up front.

Still think that if/when we concede- we'll crumble.

Get to the 75th minute and then I'll begin thinking of a win.

Man City are currently 2-1 to win. Not sure whether to put on an 'insurance' bet now or hope we hold out for another 10 minutes or so to get better odds...

Superb effort by Saints. Redmond gets more exciting every game. Our core defensive engine of VVD Fonte and Romeo is unbelievable. I'd sub yellow-carded Clasie for JWP. We're getting a lot of set-plays and could use JWP's guile. Fingers crossed that McQueen can grow in the second half. I saw a great tackle toward the end. Maybe he can breathe and find some more confidence.

C'mon Saints. This could turn out a truly epic afternoon.

Overall not bad at all, the negatives for me is that we are giving alot of possession away playing hoofball especially from Forster. Clasie poor again and Mclean finding it tougher today.

We are going to be under more pressure 2nd half but I hope we dont sit back as they are weak at the back. Hopefully we can get better service to Austin.

If anyone had to get a yellow, Jordy Clasie would have been my choice. With Højbjerg and JWP on the bench I'd expect an early substitution in the second half which might even improve the midfield. Expecting to see Boufal at some point. To have a £20m player as a sub shows the depth available.

First question on half time analysis - "How good have Southampton been?"

Excellent, focussing on us!

"They've been fantastic, but you have to say City..."

Sigh.

Aye it's like that :(

Redmond even got grudging late acknowledgement for his finish.... then the focus went back onto the defensive arguing.

Their fans are booing them at half time - ****ing hell that's embarrassing.

The high press from goals kicks are great, worked well against inter and is working well against city - wired more teams don't do it.

It's great seeing the keeper thinking 'I'm meant to play it out from the back, but how?'

If anyone had to get a yellow, Jordy Clasie would have been my choice. With Højbjerg and JWP on the bench I'd expect an early substitution in the second half which might even improve the midfield. Expecting to see Boufal at some point. To have a £20m player as a sub shows the depth available.

Boufal on for Tadic halfway through the second half could be a masterstroke (if we're still winning) as he seems more capable of creating something by himself for himself, which could be valuable if other players are sitting back.

Great tackle from Clasie, won the ball cleanly. Yellow card. Terrible foul from behind by Fernadinho on Austin. Nowhere near the ball. No yellow card. Random refereeing. You have to win these games twice against expensive players. COYR!

That's a good call; Clasie got the ball; Fernadinho got Charlie's calf.