Lowest goals scored for five years

Mr X

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/14881714.COMMENT__Is_one_of_Saints_fans____biggest_pre_season_fears_being_realised_already_/?ref=rss

Surely we need to finally address this in the transfer window, no real replacements for mane & pelle

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Are you so fu_cking thick that you don't understand that Austin was bought as Pelle's replacement but the club moved in the Jan instead of waiting for the summer?

FFS, it's not hard.

Mane is a different matter but I'm all ears as to who we should get as a high scoring, fast, mobile striker because as far as I can tell the usual wan_kers hark on about a replacement without suggesting who.

Are you so fu_cking thick that you don't understand that Austin was bought as Pelle's replacement but the club moved in the Jan instead of waiting for the summer?

FFS, it's not hard.

Mane is a different matter but I'm all ears as to who we should get as a high scoring, fast, mobile striker because as far as I can tell the usual wan_kers hark on about a replacement without suggesting who.

Jesus, have your happy pills run out?.

Edited by Saint Billy

FFS, it's not hard.

Jermaine Defoe

FFS, it's not hard.

I reckon we should sign that Sofiane Boufal chap from Lille.

FFS, it's not hard.

Do you honestly believe that if he was Italian Austin would have represented that country in the Euros during the summer?

We have not 'adequately' replaced Pelle or Mane.

Last season we mostly played 4-2-3-1; this season it is 4-1-2-1-2 - although, really, more like 4-3-3. So, we are playing with more forwards yet have fewer on the books than we did at the end of last season. Despite the fact we signed Austin 'probably' as an early replacement for Pelle in January, given our extra games and fitness/stamina doubts over Charlie, JRod and Boufal's injury, we absolutely should have signed at least one more striker in the summer. We only have a squad of 23 which includes one injured for the season, an ancient 'keeper who hasn't played a competitive match in years and two who are nowhere near good enough for the prem. We absolutely had the money and the room in the squad to sign at least one more striker.

As to whom, why should that be my job to say? We have a team of scouts paid good money to identify possible candidates. But we could have gone for Benteke, Berahino, Bony, Negredo or countless others who would have given us other options. No doubt these are all rubbish in yours eyes but, to turn it around, do you think there was nobody whom we could have realistically signed who would have improved our attack?

FFS, it's not hard.

It's a myth that Austin was bought to replace Pelle perpetrated by those trying to convince us all that the club knew what they were doing. Back in January Pelle was in the process of negotiating an extension. So I agree with the OP when he suggests we did not adequately replace our departing goal scorers. The stats are now proving it. We made a mistake, believe it or not we are not infallible, but let's at least be honest enough to acknowledge it. There again we could just deny things with vitriol to anyone who dares to question.

It's a myth that Austin was bought to replace Pelle perpetrated by those trying to convince us all that the club knew what they were doing. Back in January Pelle was in the process of negotiating an extension. So I agree with the OP when he suggests we did not adequately replace our departing goal scorers. The stats are now proving it. We made a mistake, believe it or not we are not infallible, but let's at least be honest enough to acknowledge it. There again we could just deny things with vitriol to anyone who dares to question.

Jeremy Wilson is better connected than you and he said that's exactly what the club did, and it was painfully obvious that Pelle was going in the summer back in January 2016.

So the only myth maker here is, well, you.

Edited by CB Fry

Do you honestly believe that if he was Italian Austin would have represented that country in the Euros during the summer?

We have not 'adequately' replaced Pelle or Mane.

Last season we mostly played 4-2-3-1; this season it is 4-1-2-1-2 - although, really, more like 4-3-3. So, we are playing with more forwards yet have fewer on the books than we did at the end of last season. Despite the fact we signed Austin 'probably' as an early replacement for Pelle in January, given our extra games and fitness/stamina doubts over Charlie, JRod and Boufal's injury, we absolutely should have signed at least one more striker in the summer. We only have a squad of 23 which includes one injured for the season, an ancient 'keeper who hasn't played a competitive match in years and two who are nowhere near good enough for the prem. We absolutely had the money and the room in the squad to sign at least one more striker.

As to whom, why should that be my job to say? We have a team of scouts paid good money to identify possible candidates. But we could have gone for Benteke, Berahino, Bony, Negredo or countless others who would have given us other options. No doubt these are all rubbish in yours eyes but, to turn it around, do you think there was nobody whom we could have realistically signed who would have improved our attack?

I absolutely agree with every word of this, particularly those players you mentioned as to who we could have gone for.

At this stage last season we had

Mane

Pelle

Juanmi

This season we have

Austin

Boufal

Redmond

So we clearly have replaced the players that have left . Whether they are good enough replacements is open to debate, what isn't, is whether we have replaced them or not.

Personally I think Austin will score as many goals as Pelle. Redmond is clearly better than Juanmi and at the moment Mane is clearly better than Boufal. However lets judge Boufal when he's fit and compare him to Mane in a Southampton shirt , not Mane in a Liverpool shirt.

The club thought Pelle was going to China in the January transfer window I believe thus the need to sign Austin.

Boufal is not a goalscorer and Jeremy Wilson while being a thoroughly decent chap and a good journalist does not know everything. In the end the stats will tell their own tale and, that is, when it comes to finding the net our current strike force is not as potent. End of!

And you do know everything?

Pelle was obviously leaving in the summer back in January, Austin was the replacement. It's pretty simple.

By this time last season Mane had scored 3 league goals, actually his entire tally this side of Christmas.

Redmond has also scored 3 league goals so doesn't actually have to bother scoring before New Years Day to match Mane exactly. In fact Mane didn't score again until March, so Nathan has got four months off.

Pelle had scored a dazzling six by remembrance Sunday, more than Austin on his pathetic five league goals. Pelle scored the breathtaking tally of 11 league goals last season which is clearly the kind of superhuman goalscoring only Jermaine Defoe could replace.

Boufal is not a goalscorer and Jeremy Wilson while being a thoroughly decent chap and a good journalist does not know everything. In the end the stats will tell their own tale and, that is, when it comes to finding the net our current strike force is not as potent. End of!

It is true the stats will tell in due course, but according to The Echo, the stats are that Pelle and Mane scored 11 goals each last season. Not so many as to be unreplaceable. It's true that scoring is a weakness so far this season but Austin has 5 so far this season which looks on course to do better than 11 but we do need the whole team to convert the many chances being created. Claud and his staff must be working on it, which might be what we need rather than bringing in one more player at the expensive of the talented players we already have.

FFS, it's not hard.

You need to pipe down and watch your tone. Completely uncalled for. It's a football forum. Have some perspective.

The disappointing thing about our goals scored column is that we actually are creating enough chances (4th behind Liverpool, Spurs and City) BUT currently our conversion ratio is 9.2% which is based on 68 shots and 12 goals is the worst in the division. Interestingly, Spurs stats are not much better ours with 72 shots, 15 goals and just a 10.7% conversion ratio BUT they have only conceded 6 compared to our 12! Also, if you look at Burnley who sit one place above us in the league, they have scored one less than us so I think that that there are many points that can be discussed/debated but I think there is a long way to go yet before we have definitive answers. See below link for conversion rate league table which makes interesting reading

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/chancenverwertung/wettbewerb/GB1

Very rarely ITK, but Pelle was a neighbour. He was told by the club he would not be offered an extension due to his age. As posted before, he wanted to stay and was happy at the club.

It is true the stats will tell in due course, but according to The Echo, the stats are that Pelle and Mane scored 11 goals each last season. Not so many as to be unreplaceable. It's true that scoring is a weakness so far this season but Austin has 5 so far this season which looks on course to do better than 11 but we do need the whole team to convert the many chances being created. Claud and his staff must be working on it, which might be what we need rather than bringing in one more player at the expensive of the talented players we already have.

Yes, but looking at the goals scored statistic in isolation is often misleading. How many of Austin's goals are penalties? With Mane, it wasn't just the goals he scored but the speed with which he attacked and turned round defences - and his incisive passing and assists. Boufal looks like a top player to me, but he's a different player to Mane - he's more a hybrid of Tadic and Lallana.

A massive differential has been the relapse of Long to his more typical form *****il injury of course).

From about December onwards last year he was our main striker but is yet to score for us this season I think.

In his defense he was only starting in the first few games when the whole team was still getting used to the system. Since the team have started clicking and playing well I think he's only made a couple of sub appearances and got injured.

FFS, it's not hard.

You're so macho.

Jeremy Wilson is better connected than you and he said that's exactly what the club did, and it was painfully obvious that Pelle was going in the summer back in January 2016.

Well, Wilson repeats what the club feeds him so if the club wants to rewrite history he will too.

I don't know when we knew Pelle was leaving but relying on only having Austin and Long as proper front men and an unreliable Rodriguez was always going to be a risk.

I think we're doing OK this season but it's perfectly fair to question why we didn't boost the forward line a bit more. We are completely reliant on Austin for any sort of consistency in front of goal and it's not good to be completely reliant on one person.

Jeremy Wilson also said in one of his articles that Redmond is Mane's replacement.... many on here disagree with that.

Jeremy Wilson also said in one of his articles that Redmond is Mane's replacement.... many on here disagree with that.

God help us if that's true, i like Redmond & he's done well but a totally different player to mane, mane offers complete unpredictability, serious pace, natural talent & a real eye for goal, Redmond is a work in progress & being asked to play a position that isn't natural to him, Redmond is a very cheap poor mans mane replacement if that's what he is

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who thinks that we have had the same problem every season in the PL.

The number of games I've come away from the last few seasons and thought how did we not score more has been many.

Truth is we have not had a truly prolific striker since our return to the top flight. Jrod would probably have been the season he got injured.

Obviously a very emotive subject depending upon people's favourites. Factually, Tadic, Austin, Redmond has been our strike force of choice and it just isn't effective in the Premier League. Those three players must shoulder the lion's share of the blame as in most matches they get plenty of time on the ball but fashion very little from all their possession. It's a cop out to blame Holberg, Davis and Ward prowess for not contributing enough and shying away from the unpalatable truth for many that our strike force isn't good enough at this level.

Of course more constructive debate than "told you so" is needed but don't hold you breath for reinforcements to arrive anytime soon if Kat and her boys are focused on selling up and cashing in their chips.

And you do know everything?

Pelle was obviously leaving in the summer back in January, Austin was the replacement. It's pretty simple.

You are just arguing for arguments sake and of course you must have the last word. I don't know everything but I am confident I know more than you do if only for the fact you waste so much time and effort picking fights on here.

Obviously a very emotive subject depending upon people's favourites. Factually, Tadic, Austin, Redmond has been our strike force of choice and it just isn't effective in the Premier League. Those three players must shoulder the lion's share of the blame as in most matches they get plenty of time on the ball but fashion very little from all their possession. It's a cop out to blame Holberg, Davis and Ward prowess for not contributing enough and shying away from the unpalatable truth for many that our strike force isn't good enough at this level.

Of course more constructive debate than "told you so" is needed but don't hold you breath for reinforcements to arrive anytime soon if Kat and her boys are focused on selling up and cashing in their chips.

I was happy for us to sign Redmond as a midfielder but, played out of position as a striker, he simply doesn't look up to it at this level. He seems a bit short of pace and his decision making in the final third is poor. Also he doesn't seem to have a particularly good shot or heading ability. He is a reasonable midfield runner, open to improvement but he is never going to fill Mane's shoes up front. I've thought that for a while now but seeing him in the England U21 game confirmed it for me. Even at that level, he didn't look sharp enough to be a striker, in contrast to Demarai Gray, who was everything I hoped Redmond would be.

It is a cop out to say we have replaced Mane with Redmond. We haven't.

And we are consistently not putting them in the back of the net which is the whole point of the game isn't it?.

Better to have one main issue to solve then the issue of setting up the chances in the first place. Our strikers/forwards cannot all stay out of form indefinitely. Even if they do, then at least the area for improvement is explicitly obvious.

Am I the only one who thinks that we have had the same problem every season in the PL.

The number of games I've come away from the last few seasons and thought how did we not score more has been many.

Truth is we have not had a truly prolific striker since our return to the top flight. Jrod would probably have been the season he got injured.

You are not alone. It is one issue that is consistent under different coaches, players and tactics, so it seems hard to solve. Most teams don't have a main striker anymore, it's now an attacking trio who press, create and score.