Saints 1 Everton 0

St Chalet

MotM vs Everton (Home 2016/17)  

325 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Everton (Home 2016/17)

On a different note, very glad to hear the Cedric chant properly going now - maybe now the usual suspects will stop their hilarious "all Saints chants are the same, clap clap" routine and actually keep trying when a new chant pops up. It takes time for people to hear WTF is being chanted, don't expect the whole stadium to join in after 2 verses of it.

Much needed victory - and finally played with a bit of urgency. Should never have been hanging on at the end though. Our profligacy remains a huge issue.

Really pleased for Sims. He looked a prospect and a half a couple of years ago but then seemed to lose his way. He has a lovely first touch and quick feet. Lallana-esque, albeit with more pace. The beard is equally crap, mind you.

I thought Cedric played fantastically as well. Ward-Prowse and Hojbjerg were decent, Austin actually held the ball up quite well and generally the performance was a promising step in the right direction after a mediocre spell.

On the downside, Redmond was poor. Has he just been overplayed? Where has his pace gone? Presumably the same place his touch and decision making are hiding out. I can't help but laugh every time he cuts inside and goes to curl the ball into the far corner with his instep - a la Henry - and every time contrives to cut across the ball and slice it miles wide. It's Redmond's signature move.

And I think Van Dijk was lucky for the second home game in a row not to concede a penalty for a needless lunge on Lukaku. He's an immense defender for us, but there's a streak of carelessness about him that comes out at least once a game.

Puel's substitutions were a bit detrimental as well. We were well on top, but he sacrificed our shape and counter attacking threat with his changes. Long came on way too late. For ten minutes there our dynamic forward line was a knackered Austin, nominally supported by a left back.

Credit to Stekelenberg - or whoever that was impersonating him - for some top banana saves.

I thought Cedric played like one of the best RBs in the game today and VVD proved again he is among the most commanding CBs in world Football. I hadn't seem much of Simms previously but his speed, control and willingness to run channels was impressive. I note many positive comments about Prowsey's performance - I was once again frustrated with his play - often charging into attack, fluffing his lines and leaving acres of space for counters or not really providing much defensively in CM; largely safe and predictable with his passing - I must be missing something and comments about us looking better with JWP than Davis in the side leave me puzzled. On the other hand Romeu and Hojbjerg in midfield were brilliant - Romeu the rock and Hojbjerg the attacking box-to-box force. Such a good win to greet RK.

As bad as our performance Thursday my experience out there meeting so many saints fans (and franny , mlt and kelvin) this performance and result puts a massive positive spin on what could have been a bit of a damp squib of a week!

On a different note, very glad to hear the Cedric chant properly going now - maybe now the usual suspects will stop their hilarious "all Saints chants are the same, clap clap" routine and actually keep trying when a new chant pops up. It takes time for people to hear WTF is being chanted, don't expect the whole stadium to join in after 2 verses of it.

I'm a bit slow and a bit deaf - what is the Cedric chant?

Me and the boy were listening in from block 36 and managed to get the majority of it but not the last line ?

I'm a bit slow and a bit deaf - what is the Cedric chant?

Me and the boy were listening in from block 36 and managed to get the majority of it but not the last line ?

He's our Cedric

Running down the right wing he's electric

He does things that are so unexpected

And he sh*ts on Clyne...

Not 100% on the third line, might be "those things that I never expected" but meh, both sound similar.

Edited by Saint_clark

A much needed 3 pts, well chuffed for young Josh Sims, I remember him scoring for england youths in his debut some years ago and thinking this lad is a bit special, his performance today was a proper two fingers to Mr Koeman.

Agree we should've won by more but I'll take the win!

Can you let those of us that weren't at the game today know how the Cedric chant goes?

He's our Cedric

He does those things that are so unexpected

And he sh*ts on Clyne...

Not 100% on the third line, might be "those things that I never expected" but meh, both sound similar.

Can you let those of us that weren't at the game today know how the Cedric chant goes?

To this tune btw...

He's our Cedric

He does things that are so unexpected

And he sh*ts on Clyne...

It's he's done things I've never expected

Not a great performance, but a win's a win.

We still look short on confidence and inspiration, still too much holding on to the ball by passing backwards. Today our opponent was worse than us, and that IS your problem, Koeman! Good debut from Sims, another water carrier to add to the squad. But we need to add a couple of artisans to the squad in January, one in midfield and one up front.

Strong side on Wednesday please, and hope Wenger plays the youth team (he won't) but we need to try to win it. Can't kill off the game on Wednesday, Arsenal are a class above Everton. But happy to win today. Now do it again.

That today was the spoonful of sugar to take away some of the bitter taste still in the mouth from Thursday.

When Josh Sims first burst onto the youth scene a few years ago, you thought I wonder if he will make it through to the first team or was that his peak. Wow he was like a bottle of pop, Puel shook the bottle and unscrewed the lid and the lad just fizzed all over the pitch. Always showing for the ball, not scared to get stuck in, superb movement to make his own space, putting Baines on his backside was amusing, then burning up the pitch Wow the noise must have put him slightly off being selfish (never seen so many backsides leave seats in anticipation for a very long time).

........... Maybe young Josh should give Redmond extra training on how to burn past opposition players without having to stop and let them gang up on him.

Ron looked and sounded like he had the right hump in his BBC interview. Beautiful.

What we needed to do was make sure he had an effing sh## day. And we did. Sleep easy Ronald.

And yet he still took credit for our back six. Despite the fact for large swathes of the season he preferred Martina over Soares. Ungracious **** ignoring the Sims question too. I've gone right off him. Hope he continues to struggle there and he replaces the departing Lukaku, Coleman and Barkley with some crud from the Dutch league.

Surprised at how ungracious Koeman was. Sure he has to do these interviews after a loss, and sure, the Sims question was meant to show him up. Be he could have smiled and laughed it off quite easily, rather than coming over all haughty and a bit of a twot. And as SNSUN says, taking the credit for the defence......twot. Romeu was a bit part player when Vic wasn't banned and is a COMPLETELY different player this season.

Edited by angelman

That today was the spoonful of sugar to take away some of the bitter taste still in the mouth from Thursday.

When Josh Sims first burst onto the youth scene a few years ago, you thought I wonder if he will make it through to the first team or was that his peak. Wow he was like a bottle of pop, Puel shook the bottle and unscrewed the lid and the lad just fizzed all over the pitch. Always showing for the ball, not scared to get stuck in, superb movement to make his own space, putting Baines on his backside was amusing, then burning up the pitch Wow the noise must have put him slightly off being selfish (never seen so many backsides leave seats in anticipation for a very long time).

........... Maybe young Josh should give Redmond extra training on how to burn past opposition players without having to stop and let them gang up on him.

True! One passage of play summed up the main issue I have with Redmond at the moment. Sims did some skill, beat his man and put over a great ball, which was deflected away by an excellent clearance. Everton were on the back foot, we had 5 men in and around the box and the loose ball ended up on the left at the feet of Redmond. He then just stood there with it for about 5 seconds (which seems like an age), eventually passing back to Bertrand, by which time the entire Everton team were back to defend. The move ended when Redmond tried to take someone on and went down too easily.

I think Redmond does his duty well enough, but he's supposed to be a pacey, tricky winger-come-striker. Would like to see a bit more sharpness from him to make things happen.

Koeman claiming "maybe seven or eight players" from the U21s made their first team debuts under him. Is that even nearly true? I can think of Hesketh, Seager and (I think) Gape.

I'm so happy that result got under his skin, whether it was because of us or just the way Everton played.

True! One passage of play summed up the main issue I have with Redmond at the moment. Sims did some skill, beat his man and put over a great ball, which was deflected away by an excellent clearance. Everton were on the back foot, we had 5 men in and around the box and the loose ball ended up on the left at the feet of Redmond. He then just stood there with it for about 5 seconds (which seems like an age), eventually passing back to Bertrand, by which time the entire Everton team were back to defend. The move ended when Redmond tried to take someone on and went down too easily.

I think Redmond does his duty well enough, but he's supposed to be a pacey, tricky winger-come-striker. Would like to see a bit more sharpness from him to make things happen.

Except he can't run. He looks like he ought to be able to but he can't. He's about the slowest player we've got over a 10 yard sprint. On many occasions I've seen him have a good 2 or 3 yard advantage going for a 60/40 ball and every time the opposition goalkeeper or defender has beaten him to it easily. He's even slower over 30 yards. When we have a counter attack and look to play the ball through to him he's still lumbering along behind the halfway line so we have to wait for him to catch up with play by which time any advantage is lost. He's not a bad midfield player in the Steven Davis mould and would probably be an improvement on Ward-Prowse but he hasn't got the pace to play up front.

Looking at PL debuts given by Koeman, I hardly think with Gape for example, that putting him on for 1 minute really counts. He had one minute in December 2014 while 3-0 up against Everton and was never seen again. Not in any senior competition either in 14/15 or 15/16. Seager got 1 minute in February 2015, never to be seen again. Or maybe he is referring to the 3 minutes McCarthy got while 3-1 up against Palace in Dec 2014 (never to be seen again), or the 8 minutes Isgrove got in August 2014 in the 2-1 loss at Liverpool (never to be seen again). Hesketh managed 52 minutes in 2 games in December 2014 (never to be seen again). Targett did rather better. Reed, given his debut by Poch in 13/14, played a bit in 14/15 but only once in 15/16. NO academy player got a debut last season.

One might almost think that Koeman did this so he could turn around and say "See, I have given some of the academy their debuts" but the only one he used, before completely shooting him down in an act of high ****ishness, was Targett.

Edited by angelman

Good win over Ronald Konman and done with some academy players that he clearly didn't rate makes it all the more sweet.

Think it might be starting to dawn on some of the Everton fans that maybe they haven't got their messiah to lead them out of the darkness after all.

Would have loved it if we could have got a couple more as not taking our chances has been our achilles heel all season.

Really hoping we have one game soon where we score a hatful as this team's not far off from being a very good side indeed and the confidence they'd get from giving somebody a spanking could well see us move to the next level.

Very, very impressed with Josh on his debut. I was screaming for him to take the ball on when he made that break and maybe with a bit more game time under his belt he would have done. I know there were defenders tracking back however his pace and willingness to go forward really caused some problems for Everton.

Fully deserved his standing ovation and I really hope we see more of him.

I thought the team as a whole played incredibly well, Virgil was an absolute monster in both attack and defence, Oriol the same. They both weren't letting Everton get away with anything. I also thought the Ref was very good (although some of the holding from Everton was verging on the ridiculous at times)

THIS is the kind of performance we want to see more of (with a few more goals please)

Enjoyable game- nervous at the end though- just wanted to shout out to anyone outside the family centre who helped me and my dad and my nipper after my dad took a tumble coming out the ground- quite a few people stopped and helped and the St Johns and the NHS practitioners who patched him up and looked after us till we could get him home!

Great to get back to winning ways. More goals would be welcome especially when we are creating good chances. I thought the whole team played well, our shape and discipline were excellent, yes VVD, Sims, Rom, Cedric were the pick of the bunch but all contributed positively. As for RK completely ungracious. Everton fans need to realise he had a better bunch of senior players than the veterans squad he now has, and he won't use youth so mid table is the best you will get from him.

Interesting how much more effective we were in a 4 3 3 formation . Wonder if it was pressure from the fans that forced Puels hand .

Fantastic game from Sims . Prowse and Redmond were poor , Redmond especially.

Much better pace and attitude from the team . Deserved to win by a bigger margin .

Wonder if Puel will ditch his poxy formation and style for something that works

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

No.

It wasn't.

What a pleasure to see Southampton players, Sims, Soares and Cedric in particular running forwards with the ball and taking on and beating defenders, rather than stopping at the halfway line and passing backwards.

If only Cedric had played even just half the game in Prague we'd have won at a canter given the space Coco The Clown had.

Looking at PL debuts given by Koeman, I hardly think with Gape for example, that putting him on for 1 minute really counts. He had one minute in December 2014 while 3-0 up against Everton and was never seen again. Not in any senior competition either in 14/15 or 15/16. Seager got 1 minute in February 2015, never to be seen again. Or maybe he is referring to the 3 minutes McCarthy got while 3-1 up against Palace in Dec 2014 (never to be seen again), or the 8 minutes Isgrove got in August 2014 in the 2-1 loss at Liverpool (never to be seen again). Hesketh managed 52 minutes in 2 games in December 2014 (never to be seen again). Targett did rather better. Reed, given his debut by Poch in 13/14, played a bit in 14/15 but only once in 15/16. NO academy player got a debut last season.

One might almost think that Koeman did this so he could turn around and say "See, I have given some of the academy their debuts" but the only one he used, before completely shooting him down in an act of high ****ishness, was Targett.

And yet wasn't it Targett that he humuliated after a (Leicester?) game and used him as an example as to why the young players weren't good enough?

So what was it then ? Puel goes against his precious formation for the first time .

You seem to know why ?

The formation wasn't hugely different to what we've used previously. In fact, since Austin has been first choice, we have played more of a 4-3-3 than 4-4-2. Aince the 4-4-2 is a diamond, the two are very similar anyway.

Edit: Can't believe so many of us have bitten...!

What a pleasure to see Southampton players, Sims, Soares and Cedric in particular running forwards with the ball and taking on and beating defenders, rather than stopping at the halfway line and passing backwards.

If only Cedric had played even just half the game in Prague we'd have won at a canter given the space Coco The Clown had.

So good our right back played twice !

Some sympathy for Everton fans who thought they had obtained a brilliant manager in Koeman, although not so much for the few who came onto the Saints' forum to boast that they had "taken our manager because they could". Rather like us, Everton fans have found that a billionaire owner is no longer able to pour unlimited funds into a team even if willing to do so and in due course they may find that Koeman is not as good as he thinks he is. In retrospect, the Everton owner's decision to stuff Koeman's mouth with gold showed us a lack of integrity of which we were not aware. It's well documented that he had little interest in the Academy while he was here and his post-match comment on Josh Sims was sufficiently ill-judged to have done his reputation no good. He came over as an embarrassment that Southampton are well rid of.

We've been playing this way for a long time.

Something was certainly different from our last few games . We were getting progressively slower and slower .

If we only made an effort because of Koeman I wouldn't be impressed . We should be playing at a this pace every game

At the start of the year Koeman was incredulous that anybody would try and 'impose' the youth on our first team.

Funny how things work out. :lol:

He made himself look a right tit yesterday with his post match comments.

Looks like the Everton fans are crying out for some of their youngsters to be given a chance... didn't we warn them about this (and the winter slump) when he signed? :lol:

Not a great performance, but a win's a win.

We still look short on confidence and inspiration, still too much holding on to the ball by passing backwards. Today our opponent was worse than us, and that IS your problem, Koeman! Good debut from Sims, another water carrier to add to the squad. But we need to add a couple of artisans to the squad in January, one in midfield and one up front.

Strong side on Wednesday please, and hope Wenger plays the youth team (he won't) but we need to try to win it. Can't kill off the game on Wednesday, Arsenal are a class above Everton. But happy to win today. Now do it again.

Josh Sims, just another water carrier? Come on man give a little bit of credit where it is due. For a debut appearance the lad was simply outstanding showing a level of maturity that escaped many of the other senior players out there. I don't know if you have ever seen him before but many on here have watched his progress through the junior sides with excitement, he can carry the ball, pick out a cross, bet his man and shoes goals. He and Seagar are the bees knees make no mistake about it and water carrier he is not. He reminds me very much of the young Lallana all those years ago but this my friend is not League 1, this is the Premier League and what we saw and you saw yesterday was something rather special.

MotM? Not really but youngsters on here get excited or depressed at the drop of a hat.