The *new* striker debate thread

SuperSAINT

"Claude Puel insists he remains focussed on improving Saints’ fortunes in the Premier League and not on signing a new striker in January."

Anyone with half a brain reads this as Claude is not focussing on signing a new striker in January at this time. It doesn't mean he won't be signing one.

"Claude Puel insists he remains focussed on improving Saints’ fortunes in the Premier League and not on signing a new striker in January."

Anyone with half a brain reads this as Claude is not focussing on signing a new striker in January at this time. It doesn't mean he won't be signing one.

Added to which, if you believe all that you read, it isn't Puel's job to focus on recruitment as this rests with Les and his team of soccer boffins monitoring the black box.

I'm sure Puel has an input, but the prime mover in the bringing 'em in is Reed.

Are you two aware we are only 1 point from 7th and 4 points from 6th place??? :mcinnes: :mcinnes::mcinnes:

Plus have a league cup semi final to play and FA Cup to start.

I remain confused as to what the likes of Dalek2003, Batman and alpine_saint have gained from 10 years of positing utter nonsense on this forum.

It's a serious question, MLG. We're plenty good enough to stay up as-is, we don't seem to be mounting any sort of realistic challenge for Europe (which is 5th place, I'll remind everyone). Sure we have a 2 legged cup tie against Liverpool, but aside from that getting a new striker in January is going to be expensive and risky. Why not just ride the season out and assess our options better in the summer?

I don't think it's a ridiculous question to ask. I'm not even necessarily saying it's the course that should be taken, but I've yet to see any serious discussion around this point.

Saving money in the short term means more available later. There seems to be a foregone conclusion that we should get somebody NOW, but I don't see what we're realistically making a push for right now that we need the reinforcements for. I'd be ok with seeing it through til the end of the season, taking stock of our resources and then going after the best target we can in the summer for a better campaign next season.

I know as fans we always crave the instant satisfaction of a new signing, and there is nothing more thrilling than the news of a brand new striker - with the promise of all them GOALS - but is it really the move we should make right now, in the overpriced and under-supplied market that is the January transfer window? Particularly the idea of a 6 month loan, which would be $$$...for what ultimate benefit?

MLG, would really love to hear your counterpoints to this, rather than dismissing it as a ludicrous proposition.

Unbeliveable.

Hes like George Burley all over again. Dogmatic tw*t.

The only reason we arent going under is because the defence is still relatively good. WTF do we do if Virgil, Jose, or perhaps even both leave in January ???

Go and eat a KFC mega bucket and chill out you big fat girl!

If we decide not to buy a striker until the summer we need to bring Sam Gallagher back. Would prefer to play a saints academy player with a potential good future for 1/2 a season rather than an inflated priced player who is not going to improve the team. I doubt anyone available in January will improve us unless they come with issues...

If we decide not to buy a striker until the summer we need to bring Sam Gallagher back. Would prefer to play a saints academy player with a potential good future for 1/2 a season rather than an inflated priced player who is not going to improve the team. I doubt anyone available in January will improve us unless they come with issues...

Have a friend who is a Blackburn STH. Said Gallagher has been excellent for them, much better than expected and is a key player.

Also said he doesn't think he is near PL level at this stage and is quite raw.

Makes no sense to recall him. He is developing all the time, he wouldn't be a regular starter for us.

It's a serious question, MLG. We're plenty good enough to stay up as-is, we don't seem to be mounting any sort of realistic challenge for Europe (which is 5th place, I'll remind everyone). Sure we have a 2 legged cup tie against Liverpool, but aside from that getting a new striker in January is going to be expensive and risky. Why not just ride the season out and assess our options better in the summer?

I don't think it's a ridiculous question to ask. I'm not even necessarily saying it's the course that should be taken, but I've yet to see any serious discussion around this point.

Saving money in the short term means more available later. There seems to be a foregone conclusion that we should get somebody NOW, but I don't see what we're realistically making a push for right now that we need the reinforcements for. I'd be ok with seeing it through til the end of the season, taking stock of our resources and then going after the best target we can in the summer for a better campaign next season.

I know as fans we always crave the instant satisfaction of a new signing, and there is nothing more thrilling than the news of a brand new striker - with the promise of all them GOALS - but is it really the move we should make right now, in the overpriced and under-supplied market that is the January transfer window? Particularly the idea of a 6 month loan, which would be $$$...for what ultimate benefit?

MLG, would really love to hear your counterpoints to this, rather than dismissing it as a ludicrous proposition.

Very ambitious. Seriously, as long as the Club stay in the top league then I am happy.

Young Ryan Seager has just tweeted he is back in full training. He has certainly got the makings of a good player.

More good news. Going back a year or so, Seager was the striker who was showing most promise at U21 level. Was prolific at that level. Been out almost a year now hasn't he? Hope he picks up where he left off.

More good news. Going back a year or so, Seager was the striker who was showing most promise at U21 level. Was prolific at that level. Been out almost a year now hasn't he? Hope he picks up where he left off.

Yeah, he got injured in February. Striker options looking plentiful in the U23's.

Seager & Barnes now back to join Olomola who's done well by himself this season.

Get Ben Arfa and Sturridge in!

Ben Arfa who is playing regular Champions League football with PSG, on pretty big wages

Sturridge who:

Is regularly injured at Liverpool

Has a bit of an attitude and wouldn't try hard

Has huge wage demands

Is a very selfish player and has done f**k all of note since Suarez left

They wouldn't let leave anyway

Celebrates goals like a monumental helmet.

I know people have given up on Rodrigues and every time he shows a glimpse of his old self he gets injured, but he did try his heart out on Sunday, lasted the 90 minutes, had no luck and in my opinion wasn't a million miles away. If he could get a goal or two, get his confidence back and stay fit by the end of December we might not need another striker. Maybe a big if but it does show circumstances can change in a very short time.

I know people have given up on Rodrigues and every time he shows a glimpse of his old self he gets injured, but he did try his heart out on Sunday, lasted the 90 minutes, had no luck and in my opinion wasn't a million miles away. If he could get a goal or two, get his confidence back and stay fit by the end of December we might not need another striker. Maybe a big if but it does show circumstances can change in a very short time.

The only good thing about Charlie being out is that we will at least all know whether Jay still has it or not, because unless he gets injured, he is going to loads of game time now.

Anyone see Gallagher in 10 of the best, he gets the ball rolled to him on edge of box, 1st left foot then right with just goal and keeper in front, idea obviously to get 10, he got 3, it was awful very poor about 5 times not even hitting target from 18yds. So in summary he's got a hell of a way to go

And now we are thinking of recalling Frank Gallagher.

No way are spending money in January. But we arent adverse to raking it in for Jose and Virgil....

Kat's cashing her chips in, clearly...

Notice when he mentions chips there is an abrupt finish to the post.

I gave up on him about 40 years ago, was great for us in 76, but I think he's too old now. Great moustache though.

I agree. He needs a run of games which hopefully he will now get. Having 3 strikers in the squad is probably enough and they have all shown they're capable of scoring goals if we play to their strengths. It's up to the manager to get the best out of them

I've been banging on about getting Defoe for years. Often getting shouted down that he's useless etc. We've no chance now he's in such form and is so crucial to Sunderland's success. Think we've missed the boat on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been banging on about getting Defoe for years. Often getting shouted down that he's useless etc. We've no chance now he's in such form and is so crucial to Sunderland's success. Think we've missed the boat on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not useless just getting on a bit buying older players isn't generally good value for a club that develops players to sell on. As a short term loan for the second half of the season he'd be great but I doubt Sunderland or Defoe would see that as a good move.

I don't see Defoe as being a viable option tbh.

- Why would Sunderland let him go?

- He would cost quite a lot

- He doesn't fit the club philosophy of bringing in players to sell at a profit.

Whether we should be looking at him is another question, but just don't see the club being interested in a player like Defoe.

A focal point. Someone who can hold it up, bring others into play and obviously score goals. We lack that option this year, we have no presence up top.

'Dr' Barry Gale is a big lad, give us some presence up front. He's already on the books too.....

Sturridge will never happen, Liverpool would have to pay like £100k a week of his wages for him to fit our wage structure. That's before you try and convince him to leave a title challenger to go to a mid table club??

Think most ppl called this striker problem at the start of the season. Let your two top scorers leave, don't replace them and try and cope with two injury prone strikers

How bout something like a Rashford loan? To bring some energy and pace up top?