Saints 0 Arsenal 5 Post match hilarity

Ohio Saint

PEH definitely isn't anywhere as good as he is made out on this forum. **** him off in the summer.

He gives the ball away a lot. I think fans see some talent and he is at least forward thinking, which is why he gets an easier ride than Classie and JWP. He has youth on his side thankfully.

Puel should have been more balanced in the rotation. Resting players who might have got a strain or a pull after midweek - no resting any players otherwise not at risk before Swansea though, that game is less important. And Forster should have played. Crazy resting a keeper. Sadly Claude can't help himself. If he can rotate he will, like a lapsing alcoholic. The scale of that defeat damaged the confidence of our squad players and the goodwill of the fans far more than the benefit of resting a few extra for Swansea and letting Forster have a lie in and a beer in front of Jeff Stelling. Very annoyed with Puel - again.

Should have been more balance in the rotation. Resting players who might have got a strain or a pull after midweek - no resting for Swansea though, that game is less important. And Forster should have played. Crazy resting a keeper. Sadly Claude can't help himself. If he can rotate he will, like a lapsing alcoholic. The scale of that defeat damaged confidence and the goodwill of the fans far more than the benefit of resting a few extra for Swansea and letting Forster have a lie in and a beer in front of Jeff Stelling.

Far too man changes today. This defeat will do more damage than will be offset by a couple of days sitting around. After Wednesday they'd have been really buzzing and feeling invincible. I feel sorry for all thos poor little kids who were taken along tonight. They won't want to go to another match for a long while.

No excuses for me. Poor selection. We are not going to qualify for Europe on the league why not try and win both cups? Imagine what a legend Puel would be?

Personally I think he isn't cut out for it. League Cup is fantastic but everything else has been unconvincing.

Spot on. I'm amazed that he's got us to Wembley given the football we've played this season. In fact, getting us to the final has probably just bought him time in the job. Whatever happens in the final, I'd still like him gone. He does nothing to inspire any confidence at all. Today's team selection being a case in point. The fans were on a high after Wednesday and then he goes and ****es us all off with this nonsense.

Personally, I'm still elated about the cup final, so I didn't care so much about tonight's result, as weird as that feels. However, it did show that Isgrove and Reed are not good enough for this league, Gardos probably not worthy of being near the first team (currently) and same with Martina (contract running out in the summer?). Having said that, our fairly inexperienced and injury recovering back line were facing proven internationals so the writing was always on the wall.

PEH definitely isn't anywhere as good as he is made out on this forum. **** him off in the summer.

He has a talent but he doesn't do what a player like Romeu is doing endlessly, taking mental photographs of who is where on the pitch, PEH invariably picks up the ball with his head down then ploughs into trouble, fair play to him though invariably when he has dropped a clanger he cleans up his own mess.

Welbeck and Walcott can **** off.

We didn't deserve to lose 5-0. Complete bull**** reflection of the game. Ridiculously flattering on Arsenal.

Stats say we had more shots.

It's ****ing annoying, but it's not the end of the world. Let's bounce back with a win against Swansea and let's win the league cup.

COYS.

Personally, I'm still elated about the cup final, so I didn't care so much about tonight's result, as weird as that feels. However, it did show that Isgrove and Reed are not good enough for this league, Gardos probably not worthy of being near the first team (currently) and same with Martina (contract running out in the summer?). Having said that, our fairly inexperienced and injury recovering back line were facing proven internationals so the writing was always on the wall.

My elation is somewhat dented after that result. Today could have been a great day, a final and further progress in the FA cup, what an opportunity!.

No better preparation for a big final than a string of good results. On Talk Sport after the win at Liverpool the pundits were saying that saints are going to be really up for the Arsenal game and brimming with confidence, like me little did they know that Puel was planning on putting out a extremely weak side with no chance of winning.

What makes me angry is that if that team selection was made due to our injuries and the amount of games we have, why have we not strengthened the squad in this transfer window?, and as someone else has said on here, the squad put together this season was meant to cope with the extra games the Europa cup gave us but to most it is abundantly obvious that we do not have a strong enough squad to rotate.

also, let me add, after Swansea (Tuesday) we will have West Ham on Saturday, on just 3 days rest again. So, 9 straight matches on either 3 days rest or 2 days rest.

Interestingly, 9 matches in January / 3 matches in February / 3 matches in March.

so the fixtures are going to lighten up considerably in the next 2 months.

I agree with this. You can't just march the same 11 out there for all 9 matches. So Puel made a determination after looking at the schedule where to sit players. After advancing in the EFL, and the priority of the PL, I can't knock him for this.

Welbeck and Walcott can **** off.

We didn't deserve to lose 5-0. Complete bull**** reflection of the game. Ridiculously flattering on Arsenal.

Stats say we had more shots.

It's ****ing annoying, but it's not the end of the world. Let's bounce back with a win against Swansea and let's win the league cup.

COYS.

No we didn't deserve to lose 5-0. It should have been 8 or 9 at least. They took pity on us and eased up.

Is it just me that finds the situation where we supposedly have to rotate to protect the players from injuries , baffled by the amount of injuries we have...despite the rotation. Never any guarantees.

I had wondered this as well . Our injuries are shocking . Players seem to take longer to recover as well .

Unlucky or ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

If you were angry at Pochettino for his selection at Sunderland, you can't make excuses for this.

Pochettino hadn't got us to a cup final three days prior to that Sunderland game (even though his selection wasn't that bad).

I didn't even get to see the game so can't comment on performance, but I really don't understand why people have such trouble getting their heads around the team. Yes it's annoying for people who went to the game, but given our place in one cup final, our somewhat unconvincing league position/performances and injury status of the first team squad at the moment, the FA Cup is a reasonable sacrifice. Not every season, in fact not many seasons at all, but this one it is.

I had wondered this as well . Our injuries are shocking . Players seem to take longer to recover as well .

Unlucky or ?

A bit of both, I think. As I've said before, the club should look into what Leicester are doing so successfully in that regard. The difference in their injury lists and ours over the last couple of seasons is like, umm ... the difference between SMS and Krap Nottarf.

Agreed.

After 3 major cup finals in 41 years, do people really think we're going to get to two in one season. After Weds effort players like Yoshida,OR & Davo needed a rest and as the modern full back is vital to the game , prob best to rest them as well . It's a pretty good idea to give the young keeper a couple of run outs, I'm sure the moaners will have a field day had his debut been the EFL cup final.

Still, it gives people another chance to moan about Puel and how backwards we've gone this season. How did Everton get on today BTW. And to compare this to Sunderland away under Poch is bizarre. We had nothing to play for then. We're in a cup final now ffs. As far as I'm concerned every single game should be played with that final in mind. If someone's 50/50 leave them out. If someone needs a rest, rest them. I'm pretty sure if we turn Utd over that Jose will blame their work load and number of games played since the turn of the year.

Stop it, stop it! This is much too sensible for this bedwetting thread.

Unprofessional.....disgusting.

Puel should be ashamed.

All the the last 10 days work undone.

Completely dampened the feel good factor.

God knows what it's done for the nippers' confidence.

Channon ,Boyer....Hayes...etc must think it a joke that you can't play a few games in a row.

Especially with what is available now.

We won't win the league or get top six....we aren't going down....so play the best squad available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on. I'm amazed that he's got us to Wembley given the football we've played this season. In fact, getting us to the final has probably just bought him time in the job. Whatever happens in the final, I'd still like him gone. He does nothing to inspire any confidence at all. Today's team selection being a case in point. The fans were on a high after Wednesday and then he goes and ****es us all off with this nonsense.

You're talking ********. As is he. Get a life and grow up.

:mcinnes:

Puel should be ashamed.

Channon ,Boyer....Hayes...etc must think it a joke that you can't play a few games in a row.

We won't win the league or get top six....we aren't going down....so play the best squad available.

:mcinnes:

Agree. Which makes today's team selection even more disappointing.

Not really.

The league cup final is soon. There's also a think called being tired. The players must be shot after the semi final win..

Not only was the game itself physically and mentally draining. But the celebrations after would have been.

Don't try to blame the manager for his team selection when you have nothing to do with the players and don't have a clue about how some of them are feeling. Puel obviously felt he needed to rest and rotate certain individuals. You aren't the boss, he is. When the club employ you you'll be in a position to make the big calls. Until then be quiet.

Puel should be ashamed.

You should be ashamed. Be quiet child.

No we didn't deserve to lose 5-0. It should have been 8 or 9 at least. They took pity on us and eased up.

Rubbish. Don't make stuff up.

He has a talent but he doesn't do what a player like Romeu is doing endlessly, taking mental photographs of who is where on the pitch, PEH invariably picks up the ball with his head down then ploughs into trouble, fair play to him though invariably when he has dropped a clanger he cleans up his own mess.

PEH is no where near as good as claimed on here. He's half decent, but some seem to worship him on here. Romeu is a top player, PEH isn't even close to that. Hopefully PEH improves and becomes one in the future.

Is it just me that finds the situation where we supposedly have to rotate to protect the players from injuries , baffled by the amount of injuries we have...despite the rotation. Never any guarantees.

I think the squad in general is quite injury prone. We have two centre forwards that play on the edge and with high intensity, as a result both are prone to injury. Boufal and Tadic both seem injury prone. As does Davis a bit (plays on the edge mentally and physically). Bertrand plays on the edge, so he gets injured more too than some. Romeu is robust, so despite playing on the edge seems to rarely get injured (just needs the occasional rest).

The likes of Cedric are small statured (not a dig, just a fact) so are more prone to injury it seems. Not many of our players are particularly robust so I do understand the rotation.

Edited by FriendlySaint

You should be ashamed. Be quiet child.

Rubbish. Don't make stuff up.

I think the squad in general is quite injury prone. We have two centre forwards that play on the edge and with high intensity, as a result both are prone to injury. Boufal and Tadic both seem injury prone. As does Davis a bit (plays on the edge mentally and physically). Bertrand plays on the edge, so he gets injured more too than some. Romeu is robust, so despite playing on the edge seems to rarely get injured (just needs the occasional rest).

The likes of Cedric are small statured (not a dig, just a fact) so are more prone to injury it seems. Not many of our players are particularly robust so I do understand the rotation.

Do you 'play on the edge' pal?

Edited by shurlock

I don't care, not even 1% of me gives a toss.

That is all.

This, more or less, sadly. I learned a lot from that performance, as I suspect Puel did. I could explain what I learned but I can't be arsed. I will just say this, it's late in the window, we don't know where we stand in negotiations but presumably Puel does, consider what would have happened if any of what remains of the spine of our team had played and had got injured in that match. We could have been left with some or all of what was out there today for forthcoming fixtures including potentially a cup final.

Really wondering what of any benefit will come todays exercise. Our youngsters will feel really great about being butt-f**ked by Arsenal, wont they ?

Puel does a really good job if destroying any trust or faith he generates...

For first time ever I kinda agree with this. It was on the cards we were going to not bother, but to not even participate to this extent and allow someone a score against the club like this is surely just detrimental to what we have achieved recently. I guess a bit like when we threw the cup game to Liverpool we can hear them crowe about 5-0 / 6-1 even when we next beat them in the league. I just don't understand why when we are riding on a wave we don't continue to surf it, why crash intentionally in order to start again.

Puel should be ashamed.

Typically clueless knee jerk mouth foaming comment from you, get a grip ffs.

we have far too many lightweight, slow and small midfielders. The game may have changed a great deal in recent years, but we don't win any headers, tackles or second balls. Because of that we do so much running after opponents. Id sell Classie if we got an offer. He is so limited. Reed is very similar. Both are neat and tidy and decent footballers, but if we want to progress then we need better players than them. I guess they and Hojbjerg are reserves behind Romeu, Davis and JWP, but apart from Romeu no one offers any physical presence at all. Poor squad balance.

Clasie has had plenty of good games and is far from useless. He has played part in some of our weak lineups though so hasn't helped him progress.

Crap result but perspective time. We lost to a stronger Arsenal side. Liverpool lost to Wolves at Anfield. Spurs were very nearly embarrassed by Wycombe. We have a ton of injuries. It is not the end of the world.

Football is never the end of the world and with all due respect a little trite to compare other teams misfortune and shrug oh well could be worse. Always has been cas but setting d1cked 5-0 at home was not acceptable and we all knew after selection it was likely.

Manager had little choice than to pay the team he did. The game highlighted the fact that some of the who played last night are not good enough. Gardos and Stephens lacked understanding and the former had not played at this level for some time. Isgrove and Reed are not up to this standard and PEH seemed so slow and his shooting capability and that of Clasie is appalling. Some lessons will be learned from this and some players may benefit but we must move on.

Clubs like saints only really have 2 genuine chances of winning anything.. efl and fa cup. Given that we won't make Europe or get relegated it's an absolute disgrace that we've prioritised Swansea away over this game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why is it? Let's look at it like this.

Austin, Boufal, Rodriguez, Ward-prowse, Yoshida, Van Dijk, Targett, McCarthy out injured and the players that did play against Liverpool like Romeu, Redmond, Tadic etc put in such a monumental effort that they needed the rest.

If we'd played them they'd have been ****ed against Swansea and we need some momentum in the league. We got a tough draw, we surrendered but we are in a cup final anyway.

What exactly is there to moan about?

Claude said "Je ne regrette rien."

Strange that we lose 5-0 and he doesn't regret the side he chose. Strange because 30,000 paid to turn up and watch it. They seem to have been rather overlooked in all this, which is a shame.

about 15k of them turned up to get a better purchase history lol

Manager had little choice than to pay the team he did. The game highlighted the fact that some of the who played last night are not good enough. Gardos and Stephens lacked understanding and the former had not played at this level for some time. Isgrove and Reed are not up to this standard and PEH seemed so slow and his shooting capability and that of Clasie is appalling. Some lessons will be learned from this and some players may benefit but we must move on.

Yet both redmond and radical can come on when we are three nil down? Should have started a stronger team to get a foothold in the game then introduced others it was ridiculously unfair on sims and isgrove and similarly the back four and in particular Lewis it's so harsh putting a young keeper behind such a weak defence.

Why is it? Let's look at it like this.

Austin, Boufal, Rodriguez, Ward-prowse, Yoshida, Van Dijk, Targett, McCarthy out injured and the players that did play against Liverpool like Romeu, Redmond, Tadic etc put in such a monumental effort that they needed the rest.

If we'd played them they'd have been ****ed against Swansea and we need some momentum in the league. We got a tough draw, we surrendered but we are in a cup final anyway.

What exactly is there to moan about?

Why? We are comfortably going to finish mid table the Swansea game will have little impact one way or the other. One cup final is fantastic no getting away from that but I don't see why getting to one should mean we just blow the other cup off just to prioritise one league game that will have make very little difference at the end of the season.

Claude said "Je ne regrette rien."

Strange that we lose 5-0 and he doesn't regret the side he chose. Strange because 30,000 paid to turn up and watch it. They seem to have been rather overlooked in all this, which is a shame.

True. But they (we) didn't pay very much. It's been explained why he chose the side that he did. It was a disappointing result but I'm not going to get hugely upset by it.

Sims did well, Gardos was competent considering his layoff, Lewis was on a hiding to nothing. That concludes the 'positives'.

Isgrove is never going to be good enough for a prem team, possibly Reed as well. Stephens and McQueen were well below their best, Hojbjerg has gone so far backwards you wonder whether he can get back to match his presumed promise, Martina's decison making is glacial, Clasie brings nothing to the game, Long was completely isolated.

Puel completely ballsed this one up.

I agree with the player assessments but whether Puel ballsed it up is a moot point. If Puel was undecided about whether some of those that played last night were just squad players, or need to be moved on, then I suspect he has probably got a clearer view on some than others. I guess with so many Premiership teams putting out under strength teams it proves that most clubs value being in the PL rather than the FA cup looks like we are no different.

pretty much this.

there was going to be an emotional let down after Wednesday regardless.. I am not sure are best XI would have won today.

I might be in the minority, but a FA Cup run just didn't seem realistic with the EFL Cup looming, our mid table status in the PL (a game 3 days away mind you) and the injuries that are beginning to pile up.

throw the youngster out there and maybe you get lucky.. I am not happy with the result, but I understand the team selection.

This

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Clasie has had plenty of good games and is far from useless. He has played part in some of our weak lineups though so hasn't helped him progress.
just to be clear I said limited, not useless. When the side is weakened he doesn't stand out at all. He doesn't get hold of a game and lead by example, he just disappears into the mediocrity. When in a stronger side we carry him. As I said, he's a decent tidy footballer, but we should be able to do much much better. RK bought Morgan. Why didn't he come back for,Clasie? Edited by Chez

On seeing our team sheet, I forecasted 0-4. CP obviously had his reasons why he played so many fringe players but if he wasn't interested in going further in the FA Cup, the most prestigious cup in the world, why didn't he play this team in the last tie?

Hope the first teamers enjoyed the rest.

On seeing our team sheet, I forecasted 0-4. CP obviously had his reasons why he played so many fringe players but if he wasn't interested in going further in the FA Cup, the most prestigious cup in the world, why didn't he play this team in the last tie?

Hope the first teamers enjoyed the rest.

He did pretty much go with the same as the last FA cup tie

Southampton beating Norwich in the replay was

Lewis

Martina Yoshida Stephens McQueen

JWP Clasie Reed

Sims Long J Rod

Yesterday was

Lewis

Martina Stephens Gardos McQueen

Hojbjerg Clasie Reed

Sims Long Isgrove

Two of the three changes were down to injury.