Saints 0 Arsenal 5 Post match hilarity

Ohio Saint

This has given rotation a whole different meaning and devalued cup competition completely, so much so that is hardly worth having any domestic cup competion at all. Apart from the big boys lets all just continue with surviving in the premier league, great fun eh.

News may not have reached you, but we are at Wembley in the League Cup Final....

Ending up today having to send out such a selection proved Claude Puel and Les Reed have well and truly been caught with their pants down. Liverpool are there for the taking by just about any team at the moment.

It is a crying shame shame that Reed and Puel have been farting about since the window and failed to bring in anyone.

Today saw the rose colored spectacles well and truly removed and stark reality facing us.

Sad, very sad indeed.

I was at the match. The team selection was a bloody disgrace and disrespectful to the fans who were paying to watch a mismatched, shapeless awful gutless performance. On the bright side, tonight showed that Isgrove isn't good enough, Reed's limitations were obvious, Clasie was a poor buy, Martina should be on his way and when VVD is fit or a CB brought in Stephens could cover right back. Young Lewis was from his confidence point of view hopelessly exposed. Gardos has a long way to go.

If Puel was going to do this in the fourth round, why didn't he send this team to Norwich, it would have saved us two crap matches and the need for rotation, everybody could have had a rest. Tonight was pointless.

If we don't beat Swansea now, we will forever have to wonder what was the point of this? Even if we do, still stupid.

Utterly ridiculous Claude.

CB this is totally not your normal style!!! We cannot afford more major injuries and for me anyway the League cup final is paramount. It is not worth thinking the consequences if Romeu , Redmond Yosh get injured

Sorry but this is ********. Firstly the manager has rotated all season, we're in the middle of 3 games in 6 days and we've got quite a few injuries, what did you expect team selection wise? Isgrove aside the side was fine and predictable. No idea why he's still here, suspect he might not be in the next few days but him and maybe Gardos aside (oh and Lewis), the rest of the team are first team players now but can fully understand why we've not risked Maya and we don't have many other options going forward right now (Issue with the board not team selection). So yes we've got beat but there's logic in the team selection and you should have known that was likely when you bought your ticket if that's an issue for you.

It's utter nonsense that they didn't "bother" tonight. We got beat by a better team, get over it, don't go to games against better sides if you don't like it as it's going to happen occasionally.

I agree with your last line though, Tuesday is a big game.

We beat a stronger arsenal side in the league cup - tonight's arsenal side which struggled against Preston was there for the taking. Surely the point of rotating over the season is to conserve energy, so we can deal with busier periods. We've reached a point where we're rotating from league game to league game, regardless of the cups or Europe. If we're not going to reap the benefits of this strategy for priority games like tonight, when are we?

Edited by shurlock

What total f***ing colossal waste of my time. We knew we were beaten as soon as we saw the line ups. Nothing to cheer about, no passion, no desire. Greatest Cup competition in the world? Do me a favour. Of the starting eleven today only one started against Leicester and only one against Liverpool. Like a bunch of strangers who had turned up for an audition. Apart from Long I wouldn't sign up any of them. McQueen and Stephens maybe. This match was thrown and there should be a stewards' enquiry, maybe a bloody great fine. I cannot believe that the club got anything out of this game. What was the ***** point.

And to think that I could have stayed at home and finished installing our new dishwasher. Much more rewarding.

seriously.. look let's take a look at the fixtures. We are going to end up play 9 matches this month.

02-01-17 Everton L

07-01-17 Norwich D

11-01-17 Liverpool W

14-01-17 Burnley L

18-01-17 Norwich W

22-01-17 Leicester W

25-01-17 Liverpool W

28-01-17 Arsenal L

31-01-17 Swansea

And since the first Norwich game, we have had a maximum of 3 days rest between each game after.

Since Leicester it had been: Leicester, (two days rest), Liverpool, (two days rest), Arsenal, (two days rest), and now Swansea on Tuesday.

I am cutting Puel some slack here. We don't have the squad depth and really we are not the type of club that can afford the required squad depth to make long runs in multiple cup (especially if you are going to draw teams like Arsenal).

seriously.. look let's take a look at the fixtures. We are going to end up play 9 matches this month.

02-01-17 Everton L

07-01-17 Norwich D

11-01-17 Liverpool W

14-01-17 Burnley L

18-01-17 Norwich W

22-01-17 Leicester W

25-01-17 Liverpool W

28-01-17 Arsenal L

31-01-17 Swansea

And since the first Norwich game, we have had a maximum of 3 days rest between each game after.

Since Leicester it had been: Leicester, (two days rest), Liverpool, (two days rest), Arsenal, (two days rest), and now Swansea on Tuesday.

I am cutting Puel some slack here. We don't have the squad depth and really we are not the type of club that can afford the required squad depth to make long runs in multiple cup (especially if you are going to draw teams like Arsenal).

There's a balance to be struck and this wasn't it.

We beat a stronger arsenal side in the league cup - tonight's arsenal side which struggled against Preston was there for the taking. Surely the point of rotating over the season is to conserve energy, so we can deal with busier periods. We've reached a point where we're rotating from league game to league game, regardless of the cups or Europe. If we're not going to reap the benefits of this strategy for priority games like tonight, when are we?

I dont think their team in the league cup was stronger to be fair. That's debateable anyway.

Point is, we've got 6 games in 3 days, Liverpool and United are the only clubs in a similar position. We've got injuries. We've got a league campaign to get back on track and we're in one final so they're a bigger priority than the FA Cup now, sorry but it is. The team picked was predictable (Apart from Isgrove), we've got to give ourselves the best opportunity for a win on Tuesday and risking the first team when we've got a young squad that needs that could do with the experience is madness.

We have 8 first team injuries. We have 9 points possible from winnable games for a team of our status in the next 3 games. But to maximize points we need to not have any more injuries.

Just this once, quite happy to play our second string.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Agreed. OK a heavy loss, but we do not have enough in reserve to stay in the Cup. Good decision by Puel to save our best players.

How many chances will Isgrove get? Totally pointless inclusion, he is not good enough for this level. Just move him on. Sims is still raw as hell, but already looks a million times better than Isgrove.

Reed as well, he needs a loan or something. Not anywhere near the quality for this level at the moment.

Good Accounts trump trophies in the cabinet it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prat - ever thought that the team that played Wednesday would be exhausted after that effort and, primarily, the same team that beat Leicester a couple of days before?

We have a ton of injuries and we do not have the strength in depth - that is clear. But what a stupid statement: we are in the EFL Final with a good chance of winning for gods sake - something neither Koeman or Pochettino achieved.

I dont think their team in the league cup was stronger to be fair. That's debateable anyway.

Point is, we've got 6 games in 3 days, Liverpool and United are the only clubs in a similar position. We've got injuries. We've got a league campaign to get back on track and we're in one final so they're a bigger priority than the FA Cup now, sorry but it is. The team picked was predictable (Apart from Isgrove), we've got to give ourselves the best opportunity for a win on Tuesday and risking the first team when we've got a young squad that needs that could do with the experience is madness.

The team wasn't predictable, I don't know a single fan that thought it was.

02-01-17 Everton L

07-01-17 Norwich D

11-01-17 Liverpool W

14-01-17 Burnley L

18-01-17 Norwich W

22-01-17 Leicester W

25-01-17 Liverpool W

28-01-17 Arsenal L

31-01-17 Swansea

also, let me add, after Swansea (Tuesday) we will have West Ham on Saturday, on just 3 days rest again. So, 9 straight matches on either 3 days rest or 2 days rest.

Interestingly, 9 matches in January / 3 matches in February / 3 matches in March.

so the fixtures are going to lighten up considerably in the next 2 months.

I was at the game, and it was obvious once the team was announced that we were going to get hammered. But I really don't know what else he could have done. We have seven first team squad members injured, and a premier league game on Tuesday. Normal rotation would have a core of experienced players, but he didn't have any to choose from.

It's also obvious from today that we desperately need another CB. Gardos was way off the pace, and Stephens suffered not having an experienced player along side as he did on Wednesday. Martina doesn't have a brain and Isgrove needs to move on and step down several divisions. Not convinced by Lewis either.

Harry Reed had a poor game, although showed touches of what he can do. But the midfield was physically lightweight.

One to forget

02-01-17 Everton L

07-01-17 Norwich D

11-01-17 Liverpool W

14-01-17 Burnley L

18-01-17 Norwich W

22-01-17 Leicester W

25-01-17 Liverpool W

28-01-17 Arsenal L

31-01-17 Swansea

So great we put a nice rested team out against Swansea and maybe get a result but in the end (probably a harder ask away from home than against a weak Arsenal squad at home) so what? 3pts here or there at the end of the season means **** all in the end a run in the FA cup would be much better. I don't see why a great run in the EFL means we need to ditch the FA cup. When it comes to the league unless you are in the top six or the bottom three it really makes little difference to the fans (granted for the club it equals more cash). My argument is for a club like us if you are prioritising games, and safely in mid table, surely cup should come before league?

Prat - ever thought that the team that played Wednesday would be exhausted after that effort and, primarily, the same team that beat Leicester a couple of days before?

We have a ton of injuries and we do not have the strength in depth - that is clear. But what a stupid statement: we are in the EFL Final with a good chance of winning for gods sake - something neither Koeman or Pochettino achieved.

eh didn't you right this earlier

Disgusted with the team that has been put out. Absolutely disgusted.

We may as well have just forfeited the match and refunded all the poor buggers that have paid to watch this utter ****e.

When did it become acceptable to charge £15 for a reserve team game?

I can understand some changes, but I don't know why we are giving Lewis game time. He is not good enough yet and uncles s Forster is carrying a knock then he should start. Perhaps the other changes were forced although Redmond and Tadic looked pretty sharp to me. If Yoshida was injured why was he on the bench?

I last saw Isgrove against Sheff United in that terrible cup game and he was woeful. He looked equally out of his depth tonight. It wasn't just that he was terribly lightweight, did nothing with and without the ball, he looked out on his feet after just 50 minutes. He stood around for about ten minutes before being subbed and that's not good enough. I can't get that Sheffield game out of my head and the CB partnership tonight offered equal measures of ineptnous. It's harsh to jump Gardos back first game, but Stephens had a poor night. More worrying for me is that midfield. Classie and Hojbjerg is £20m of spending and so far it doesn't look value. Classie is simply not good enough. Hojbjerg tries hard, but will need to improve a lot to justify the fee. Reed and Classie in the same side is folly.

Edited by Chez

When did it become acceptable to charge £15 for a reserve team game?

I can understand some changes, but I don't know why we are giving Lewis game time. He is not good enough yet and Unkess Forster is carrying a knock then he should start. .

Bit of a paradox really, they're protecting Forster from injury. And as proven by Lewis's inclusion, and Taylor on the bench, we have no adequate replacement for FF if he picks up an injury.

Need to add GK to the list for the window, but doubt we will.

In the summer we need to recruit some big strong running battlers.

Far too lightweight and no cover for Romeu

we have far too many lightweight, slow and small midfielders. The game may have changed a great deal in recent years, but we don't win any headers, tackles or second balls. Because of that we do so much running after opponents. Id sell Classie if we got an offer. He is so limited. Reed is very similar. Both are neat and tidy and decent footballers, but if we want to progress then we need better players than them. I guess they and Hojbjerg are reserves behind Romeu, Davis and JWP, but apart from Romeu no one offers any physical presence at all. Poor squad balance.

Bit of a paradox really, they're protecting Forster from injury. And as proven by Lewis's inclusion, and Taylor on the bench, we have no adequate replacement for FF if he picks up an injury.

Need to add GK to the list for the window, but doubt we will.

there is of course McCarthy, who I haven't seen much of, but it feels like a weak batch of keepers to me. Forster needs to get his confidence back and McCarthy his fitness and then suddenly it will look much better. I suggested we sign Gordon three years ago, but that ship has sailed.

If the FA want clubs to put out full strength sides may be they shouldn't shoe horn in a midweek league match straight afterwards!

A very good point, but sadly the FA seems to have no power whatsoever over the Premier league.

So many people making excuses in this thread if redmond and tadic are fit to come on when we ar e three down and dead then they are fit to start, send out a half decent side and have a go then take them off if we are winning or loosing after 50 odd minutes don't send our youngsters out to be slaughtered and demoralised. If we'd lost on Wednesday and then put this team out this place would have been on fire. what a wasted opportunity and we still might well loose against Swansea!

also, let me add, after Swansea (Tuesday) we will have West Ham on Saturday, on just 3 days rest again. So, 9 straight matches on either 3 days rest or 2 days rest.

Interestingly, 9 matches in January / 3 matches in February / 3 matches in March.

so the fixtures are going to lighten up considerably in the next 2 months.

we may find we have even fewer games in March - Man United at home is same weekend as FA Cup 6th round so could well have to be postponed to a future date if they make it that far. Will be really strange having such few fixtures after the mad run we've had from September to now.

Mediocre manager + kids + poor Danish midfielder = disaster.

I would let 6 of those players go in the summer.

Appalling team selection - why shouldn't we have had a crack at a second cup run?

Only reason not to pick a better side was - 1. To see if you have depth in the squad (Answer is no)

2. So as not to risk any further injuries as you Boardroom are refusing to buy you a replacement CB (or two!) and a striker. (Oh dear).

The extended break before Spurs didn't help us much thou...

that was my thought exactly, however we have such a bad injury record at the moment i think having a good break to build up the final will be better than Man United playing a 2 leg Europa league fixture just beforehand. Would be great to hear some good news regarding Van Dijk's injury in the next few days and / or a new signing before the window closes.

Lose on Tuesday and a relegation struggle may beckon. We need more depth if rotation is to work properly. Sell Isgrove to anyone who will take him.

Puel took all the blame post match, and deservedly so. However my anger has mellowed slightly. Sad that our young players got raped, but fact is we have a cup final to focus on, and a league to remain in.

There are 6 teams at the bottom who are far, far worse than us and the bottom 4 of those are awful.

We aren't going down, even if we get 2 wins and 2 draws from the rest of the season, we will likely stay up.

Ridiculous back line. How bad is gardos? .
first game back to be fair. He looked equally woeful in that quarter final game at Sheff United, but again I think it was a first game. I'm not convinced he will come good, but

He needs a run of games.

No excuses for me. Poor selection. We are not going to qualify for Europe on the league why not try and win both cups? Imagine what a legend Puel would be?

Personally I think he isn't cut out for it. League Cup is fantastic but everything else has been unconvincing.