Saints 0 Arsenal 5 Post match hilarity

Ohio Saint

Understand people being frustrated but I think Puel did the right thing and 'took a bullet' for tonight.

Only criticism I have was that he should have played Taylor ahead of Lewis; bit harsh for a nineteen year old to play against Arsenal behind a centre back pairing who have played a combined four times for saints in the last two years.

Have previously not had a bad word to say about Claude but tonight was a fcking joke.

Obviously expecting some rotation but Isgrove and Gardos? Nothing against them but poor old Lewis thrown in with no experience whatsoever in front of him.

Thrown the FA cup and a p1ss take selection.

Forster would have been shattered Tuesday of course if he played.

Really disappointed with that. I haven't moaned about the rotation policy but that wasn't rotation, it was called throwing the towel in.

I was bang up for tonight, as most people probably were with the buzz from Wednesday night. I thought the club would have been too. Could have been a great atmosphere and could have had a real go at them, but it was well and truly thrown with the selection. You cant say forster needs a rest. I doubt Lewis would even have expected to get any games this season. Isgrove has been out of his depth even when we have played him against lower league opposition, why would we think that has suddenly changed. Bizarre.

Waste of time and money, club should be ashamed about that.

We're a mid table club the cups should always be a priority for me. Our best side would have given that Arsenal team a good game. If we were in a relegation scrap or battling for top six I could understand the team selection but people saying Swansea game is more important GTFO really who cares? I'm not anti Puel, I really don't get that bothered about squad rotation, I love seeing youth players come through but today Puel ****ed up. We fielded to many youngsters with no senior players to lead them on the pitch I don't see how a tonking like that will help the youngsters. Feeding one or two in to a team of senior pros is fine and a lot of our younger players have played well when put into the team that way but just chucking them all in together was always going to be crap.

Meh its done now but I always get ****ed when it feels like we haven't taken a cup competition seriously when in reality they will always be our best chance to achieve something as a club.

Just got home decided to call it a night when the fourth went in only the third time I have left early tonkin from Pool and when the wife was in hospital. When I saw the team selection I thought we are not going to anything tonight but then what did we expect from the tinker man's apprentice. With Martina in the side it was like having ten men, Sims gave it a go, Long didn't get any service as for the rest it was men against boys. Yes Puel has got us to Wembley but after nine changes we need to get results at Swansea and West Ham at home.

I am with the "dont really care" bunch on here, Puel threw this away and I cant complain. 15 days off before a Wembley final while our opponents play three times is just fine with me.

A couple of people saying we threw away a chance of getting to Wembley again, sorry but in our history how many time have we made a major final? Why should we think we would get to in a season.

Also worth saying a couple of the lads out there tonight really don't look like making the grade here. Isgrove needs to leave, 24 years old and can see this isn't he level. Should go and find himself a career lower in a lower league.

Having taken the decision to exit this competition the expectation is now that our league form really picks up. If it doesn't then we should be asking questions. If it does then the end justifies the means.

Also means we get over two weeks rest before the EFL Cup Final. Man Utd have to play three games in those two weeks off (two in Europa, last one is away on the Wednesday before the final) and an FA Cup game at the weekend inbetween them assuming they qualify tomorrow.

Is it just me that finds the situation where we supposedly have to rotate to protect the players from injuries , baffled by the amount of injuries we have...despite the rotation. Never any guarantees.

We don't rotate to protect players from injuries we rotate to keep players fresh to play with a good energy apparently.

That was weaker than any team Maurice or Ronaldo ever put out for us wasn't it?

Yes and weaker than the sides we put out against Norwich which is strange because the teams have been pretty decent in the cups so far. I can only assume the club decided one cup run was enough this season and we can now just concentrate on a solid league placing.

Only bonus was Sims performance. Reed, Clasie, Hojberg and Isgrove had a mare.

Poor keeper what does that do for his confidence? Why did we sign Taylor I don't get it if you're scared to play him.

In the summer we need to recruit some big strong running battlers.

Far too lightweight and no cover for Romeu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My hope is that we are saving ourselves for the second half of the season. So we can have a repeat of last year where we came on strong at the end of the season. We saw how Poch's spurs gave out at the end of the season, we can expect something similar from Klopp's Liverpool, because the pressing game does stand up over a full premier league season.

Well that's what I am hoping anyway....

Having taken the decision to exit this competition the expectation is now that our league form really picks up. If it doesn't then we should be asking questions. If it does then the end justifies the means.

Seems fair to me, personally i'm not too fussed by this result, it's sh*t to lose like this at home but it's not the end of the world.

Also means we get over two weeks rest before the EFL Cup Final. Man Utd have to play three games in those two weeks off (two in Europa' date=' last one is away on the Wednesday before the final) and an FA Cup game at the weekend inbetween them assuming they qualify tomorrow.[/quote']

Yeah that's a something i'm holding on to, though i can't help but think that Mourinho is canny enough to manage the rotation.

I'd expect our reserves to lose to theirs.

I'd expect our U23s to get battered by their reserves.

Basically what happened.

pretty much this.

there was going to be an emotional let down after Wednesday regardless.. I am not sure are best XI would have won today.

I might be in the minority, but a FA Cup run just didn't seem realistic with the EFL Cup looming, our mid table status in the PL (a game 3 days away mind you) and the injuries that are beginning to pile up.

throw the youngster out there and maybe you get lucky.. I am not happy with the result, but I understand the team selection.

I don't care, not even 1% of me gives a toss.

That is all.

Agreed.

After 3 major cup finals in 41 years, do people really think we're going to get to two in one season. After Weds effort players like Yoshida,OR & Davo needed a rest and as the modern full back is vital to the game , prob best to rest them as well . It's a pretty good idea to give the young keeper a couple of run outs, I'm sure the moaners will have a field day had his debut been the EFL cup final.

Still, it gives people another chance to moan about Puel and how backwards we've gone this season. How did Everton get on today BTW. And to compare this to Sunderland away under Poch is bizarre. We had nothing to play for then. We're in a cup final now ffs. As far as I'm concerned every single game should be played with that final in mind. If someone's 50/50 leave them out. If someone needs a rest, rest them. I'm pretty sure if we turn Utd over that Jose will blame their work load and number of games played since the turn of the year.

Shame the club didn't say they weren't going to bother tonight, in return I wouldn't have bothered either and saved myself time and money.

Getting done 5-0 at home is an embarrassment. Puel may have bought himself a bit of credit after Wednesday, but that won't last forever with this mass rotation bull****.

Pressure is on the 'rested' players to win Tuesday, otherwise what was the point.

In the summer we need to replace Reed, Clasie, Isgrove in the squad as we just get battered and overrun. Height, power and ability have a look lower down leagues for best promising youth we don't breed that type of player.

Our first 15 are ok but rest are not up to it.

Poor Lewis in goal that was cruel . I don't get Taylor even the Irish keeper from Euros who didn't have a contract makes sense.

So Taylor is named for Prem games yet when was last time he played a competitive game if Forster has to come off?

This part of the pre-match commentary appears pertinent:-

You what? Another Southampton game? How can this be? Since Santa shuffled down his final chimney Southampton have played a faintly comical nine games and Arsenal a mere six (an FA Cup replay and a two-legged EFL Cup semi-final the difference). Claude Puel has described this schedule as “crazy”, saying his side have had “no time to take pleasure” in their good results - partly because most of them are injured, but also because those that aren’t have been too busy preparing for their next fixture. Still, they’re getting better the more then play: those nine matches can be handily split into three groups of three: the first three were all lost, the last three were all won, and in the middle three everything happened, with a win, a draw and a defeat.

Both teams have midweek Premier League fixtures to worry about - Southampton at Swansea, Arsenal at home to Watford - and significant squad-rotation would seem to be likely. The teams should be coming through any minute now, so hold on to your hats!

Puel in his post match interview claimed that injuries made it difficult to have picked a different team, when I arrived at the stadium I was fairly bullish that we were capable of beating Arsenal, but when I heard the team selection, my first reaction proved to be right; we were going to get tonked. 10 changes to the team was farcical. The whole of the defence changed from Wednesday apart from Stephens, who himself was a debutant for Van-Dijk and not even an experienced goalkeeper behind them. We needed to have mixed some experience into defence, or some real steel into midfield, but the midfield consisted of midgets, who were bullied off the ball. It needed the likes of Romeu or Davis to close down the space that Arsenal need to function at their best. Also, it was clear that without Bertrand, Cedric or Yoshida, we would be done for pace by Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain from any balls over the top of the midfield.

Clearly Arsenal had the quality to be able to field a second string comprising of players who would make our first team. Had we not lost so many players to injury, we could have fielded a rotation team much more able to have given them a match. After the ease with which Arsenal scored their first two goals, I console myself that they didn't score the six or seven that I expected. We did have some opportunities to have scored a couple ourselves, their defence looking shaky and in particular Ospina looking very dodgy, but we didn't have the fire-power to convert our chances.

The only pluses I can garner are that we now don't have the match commitments that Man Utd do before the League Cup final and it is crystal clear that we desperately need a CB and a striker before the transfer window closes. Whether there was any benefit in Puel being able to assess the potential of Gardos, Lewis or Isgrove during the match is a moot point, as it won't have done their confidence much good.

Best thing is it highlighting that our second string aren't good enough. Needs some investment to add depth.

Wasn't even a second string though, was it.

Martina and McQueen are our 3rd choice FBs. Lewis is our 3rd choice GK (or even 4th with Taylor hanging around). Prior to Fonte's departure, Stephens and Gardos were our 4th and 5th choice CBs. Reed isn't even a regular on the bench despite having only Romeu in front of him in his position, and Isgrove is nowhere near the first team usually (surely that's the last time we will see him in a Saints shirt now - he's had so many years to prove himself and he is nothing like PL quality)

Of the players who started tonight, only Long, Hojbjerg and Clasie are regulars in the PL matchday squad, but not even regular starters (and few people on here would class them in our best XI).

Shame the club didn't say they weren't going to bother tonight, in return I wouldn't have bothered either and saved myself time and money.

Getting done 5-0 at home is an embarrassment. Puel may have bought himself a bit of credit after Wednesday, but that won't last forever with this mass rotation bull****.

Sorry but this is ********. Firstly the manager has rotated all season, we're in the middle of 3 games in 6 days and we've got quite a few injuries, what did you expect team selection wise? Isgrove aside the side was fine and predictable. No idea why he's still here, suspect he might not be in the next few days but him and maybe Gardos aside (oh and Lewis), the rest of the team are first team players now but can fully understand why we've not risked Maya and we don't have many other options going forward right now (Issue with the board not team selection). So yes we've got beat but there's logic in the team selection and you should have known that was likely when you bought your ticket if that's an issue for you.

It's utter nonsense that they didn't "bother" tonight. We got beat by a better team, get over it, don't go to games against better sides if you don't like it as it's going to happen occasionally.

I agree with your last line though, Tuesday is a big game.