Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

6 hours ago, John B said:

Surely you can see from today's first half it is the errors of Salisu and A Armstrong that are causing the bad results not the tactics

We could be 2 0 up with a complete team on the field and will no doubt lose

Come on master tactician what is Ralf going to do to win this one

Sorry for late response I was out celebrating not sat on a noddy forum point scoring. He got it spot on today I can admit that can you when wrong like Brighton no don’t think so

Diallo, Valery and KWP were superb

On 28/12/2021 at 22:10, Dman said:

100% agree, once again we move away from the ridiculously, over attacking, formation and look a better side as a result. It’s shame it’s taken so long but we seem to this season be much more tactically fluid. 

Credit where it’s due, Ralph got it spot on today after the sending off and on another day we could have nicked it.  

Personally I’m not a huge fan, but continue with the current form from the last 2 and you can’t argue with results. A huge game on Sunday (if on), however, lose that and the 4 points gained is almost irrelevant. 

Spot on. There are signs that he’s coming around to the idea that he needs to be flexible in his tactics . Hopefully this will continue but there’s still a long way to go.

Still think he needs to use Tella more over Walcott and Long.

2 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Spot on. There are signs that he’s coming around to the idea that he needs to be flexible in his tactics . Hopefully this will continue but there’s still a long way to go.

Still think he needs to use Tella more over Walcott and Long.

Only thing I’d add is Ralph started the season doing just this, then weirdly went all stubborn again and reverted to rigid formations and we struggled more. 

Im imagining he thinks he will play different ways for different teams, but the recent change seems to really suit us. 

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Only thing I’d add is Ralph started the season doing just this, then weirdly went all stubborn again and reverted to rigid formations and we struggled more. 

Im imagining he thinks he will play different ways for different teams, but the recent change seems to really suit us. 

Fans are so fickle though, he tried the exact same formation against Liverpool that he did vs Spurs and got berated for it as it didn t work.

12 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Fans are so fickle though, he tried the exact same formation against Liverpool that he did vs Spurs and got berated for it as it didn t work.

Not at all. The criticism was about playing it away at Liverpool, with people pointing out that it may not be the best idea to try something new up there. Nobody criticised the principle of getting away from his obsession with 4-2-2-2, just the timing. Matching up spurs at home, is entirely different to doing so at Anfield. Anyway he himself said is was a mistake, so is Ralph also fickle? 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

15 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Not at all. The criticism was about playing it away at Liverpool, with people pointing out that it may not be the best idea to try something new up there. Nobody criticised the principle of getting away from his obsession with 4-2-2-2, just the timing. Matching up spurs at home, is entirely different to doing so at Anfield. Anyway he himself said is was a mistake, so is Ralph also fickle? 

Why is it different? We more than often have reverted to back 3s against bigger clubs. 
Timing as you say has nothing to do with it, you adapt your formation based on the opposition not whether your 4-2-2-2 formation has worked in previous games.

Fans cannot grasp this and based on your comment cannot either.

11 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Why is it different? We more than often have reverted to back 3s against bigger clubs. 
Timing as you say has nothing to do with it, you adapt your formation based on the opposition not whether your 4-2-2-2 formation has worked in previous games.

Yet it was quite clearly not working and he did nothing to address it. That was the criticism against him.

Edited by Sarisbury Saint

43 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Did he? I thought he had 2 up top and we were light in midfield.

Also, during the game, he didnt really seem to be able to make any changes to combat the fact we were getting destroyed.

And I am still in the keeping Ralph camp btw, just recognise he does get quite a lot of stuff wrong, and appears to have one hell of a stubborn streak.

19 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Ralph grasped it, he admitted he made a mistake. He agreed with us, it was the wrong formation for that game. What more evidence do you need that you’re wrong, when the bloke who decided the tactics held his hand up. 

#cult

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about Ralphs future since the takeover. My perception from the comments made on the day of the announcement is that he doesn't have too much of a future here. I definitely don't see him managing "big name" signings if that is the intention of the new regime.    

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about Ralphs future since the takeover. My perception from the comments made on the day of the announcement is that he doesn't have too much of a future here. I definitely don't see him managing "big name" signings if that is the intention of the new regime.    

Not sure they’ll be too many big name signings.  More rough diamonds (which he’s perfect for).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I don't know where you've got that from? What comments were made? It's clear that we're not going to make big money signings.

If anything he fits the setup more than anyone else would, I don't see anything has changed.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Which comments are you basing that on? 🤔 

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't know where you've got that from? What comments were made? It's clear that we're not going to make big money signings.

If anything he fits the setup more than anyone else would, I don't see anything has changed.

I just read the Echo article, I thought the comments re Ralph's future were very non - committal

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Which comments are you basing that on? 🤔 

“Yeah, I think in the short term not much change,” Semmens told BBC Radio Solent, when asked what Sport Republic’s acquisition means for Hasenhuttl’s future.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19824924.southampton-takeover-mean-ralph-hasenhuttl/

I think the report may have been toned down a bit since I first read it a couple of days ago. Of course I may have got the wrong end of the stick. 

In most cases the incumbent looks vulnerable when new owners come in, but in this case I reckon he’s pretty secure. He obviously can’t afford to produce some of the cluster fucks we witnessed the second half of last season, but I’d say he’s pretty safe. The takeover appears to have taken his main excuse away so let’s see how he does. 

Given that Saints are currently the flagship (only) club in the Sporting Republic portfolio, I'm sure they will not want us to to lose our PL status. It seems to me that the financial backing that has been alluded to in enabling possible transfer targets to be brought forward without waiting for player sales would also enable the manager to be replaced if relegation became a real possibility.

While I'm sure that they will continue with Ralph at least in the short term, I think that the days of 'we can't afford to sack him' are behind us. I would hope, however, that Ralph will perform well enough for that not to be necessary.

31 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

In most cases the incumbent looks vulnerable when new owners come in, but in this case I reckon he’s pretty secure. He obviously can’t afford to produce some of the cluster fucks we witnessed the second half of last season, but I’d say he’s pretty safe. The takeover appears to have taken his main excuse away so let’s see how he does. 

What was “his” main excuse? And why has it gone away?

feels like the transfer policy will be pretty much the same as it was under the previous owner, just with smoother cash flow. No huge one signings that require some soft of `name' manager. A manager able to get the best out of young and hopefully improving players will be the order of the day, but as with any owner of a £100m+ business, they will want to protect that investment - which requires premiership survival and that requires results. 

Has there been any talk of targets since the new owners were announced?

• 2 weeks later...

If you take into account that of that expediture there was a total of £86m spent on Boufal, Clasie, Lemina, Hoedt, Carrillo and Gunn of which he had very little service out of and they left the club either on a free or peanuts then he has done an even better job.

19 minutes ago, CAH61 said:

If you take into account that of that expediture there was a total of £86m spent on Boufal, Clasie, Lemina, Hoedt, Carrillo and Gunn of which he had very little service out of and they left the club either on a free or peanuts then he has done an even better job.

Looks like we’ve found TWar’s twitter. 

• Haha 2

Contrast the 2 city performances this season with last. We went up there last season and won the Pep team of the month award, by passing it around nicely, playing pretty patterns and playing the exact game they wanted us to. Contrast that to yesterday, at the final whistle 3 or 4 of their players were arguing with the referee, they were hurt by our performance, they weren’t  blowing smoke up our arse and telling us how nice we played.

We were easy to beat and easy to play against last season , with a softness that came to the fore when the going got tough. There definitely seems a different mindset and culture at the club this season and that starts at the top with the manager.

There’s even 2 or 3 I wouldn’t want as a son in law anymore…..

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Contrast the 2 city performances this season with last. We went up there last season and won the Pep team of the month award, by passing it around nicely, playing pretty patterns and playing the exact game they wanted us to. Contrast that to yesterday, at the final whistle 3 or 4 of their players were arguing with the referee, they were hurt by our performance, they weren’t  blowing smoke up our arse and telling us how nice we played.

We were easy to beat and easy to play against last season , with a softness that came to the fore when the going got tough. There definitely seems a different mindset and culture at the club this season and that starts at the top with the manager.

There’s even 2 or 3 I wouldn’t want as a son in law anymore…..

Yep and despite us being lucky to only concede 5 some on here were celebrating the fact their manager said for 20 minutes we were the best team to play them that season. It was good to see some of our players getting stuck in to them, we should be horrible to play against, loved it that Grealish was pretty ineffective the whole game and ended up waiting in the tunnel for Romeu, what he was going to do is beyond me but means Romeu got right in his head, great to see. 

As someone who said he should have gone last season or in the summer I'm glad he stayed. I'm not sure what's happened, but there's been a change. Gone is the same system regardless of the opponents or it not working, gone is keeping the ball for the sake of it, gone is killing our players with relentless pressing and then being exposed for a seeing to. This season we've seen a mixture of systems, styles, good counter attacking, and a lot more steel to the players with a bit more edge to us. Fair play to Ralph this season. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, egg said:

As someone who said he should have gone last season or in the summer I'm glad he stayed. I'm not sure what's happened, but there's been a change. Gone is the same system regardless of the opponents or it not working, gone is keeping the ball for the sake of it, gone is killing our players with relentless pressing and then being exposed for a seeing to. This season we've seen a mixture of systems, styles, good counter attacking, and a lot more steel to the players with a bit more edge to us. Fair play to Ralph this season. 

This 100%. My opinion has remained the same throughout; this is the first season Ralph has no excuses, so come the end of the season his success or failure will be down to him, and we should react accordingly. As it stands he is actively changing many of the things we could reasonably criticise him for, and we’re achieving results and a league position reflective of our squad and ability.

If this remains the case at the end of the season, he deserves a lot of credit.

• Like 1

See, I cant stand the ‘where are the Ralph outers now’ rhetoric. At the time people wanted to change the manager, almost every club in the EPL would have sacked him. He was pointlessly stubborn and RH made some horrendous decisions. It was binary - he can be a good manager for us, but went through an incredibly lengthy shit run of form where he should have been sacked.

That he hasn’t, and it has worked out, doesn’t make anyone who wanted him gone look like a dick or anything, as much as it doesnt make anyone who wanted to keep him look like they deity they want to be seen as.

If RH goes through another really shit spell, id be amazed if he kept his job next time, although hopefully he has learned from some pretty obvious mistakes.

But please can anyone doing the whole Where are the RH outers now go a boil their heads in their own piss. It isn’t just on here, exactly the same on the ‘Not’ forum, and boils me piss i tells ya.

Edited by Billy the Kidd
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

There is similar rhetoric if we lose 3 on the bounce as well, certain posters bump this thread and 'the cult of Ralph' gets trotted out etc. 

For a club like us I've always said that you're not going to get a better fit than Ralph, no chance. It's a bit old school in the sense that he's not just the 'first team coach', he's involved in all areas of the club and across all age-groups. Some people may be a bit uncomfortable with that, but if the club and the manager believe in the approach then I don't see what's wrong with it.

The lack of a squad was always looked at as an excuse last season, but it very clearly wasn't an excuse. When you have to include the likes of Watts, Vokins, Ramsay, Jankewtiz, N'Lundulu in the squad on a regular basis in PL games then you really have no chance. The fact they're all now playing at a much lower level says it all.

His approach is absolutely spot on for modern football. High press, intensity, counter pressing. You never really get bored watching us and we are always on it, I certainly don't miss the days of watching us under Puel where we'd just pass it around the back four for approx 85 mins. Or Pellligrino where we'd have no idea where we were actually passing it. 

I like a club with a philosophy and a style to get behind and he's 100% created that. There will be bumps in the road, but it was always a daft idea to do away with him.

• Like 18

Yeah I agree with what you say @S-Clarke above, and yeah the cult thing does get said. For me though, the main issue isn’t losing 3 on the bounce as you say, it was some of the strange stuff that RH was doing on our terrible run, he just didnt seem to want to learn. 

This season, he has changed tactics and formations and it works miles better, just didnt understand why that couldnt have been done last season. I get the injuries and players we shouldn’t have had to reply on, we did absolutely have it tougher than anyone has had before or since I think, just thought playing the same way last season was suicide. That said, he has learned, has some of those poor players not here now, and is a good manager for us.

Still wouldn’t put it past him to go weird again though 😅

Lol at the haters of the "Ralph cult" now coming out and saying that everything has changed. We know fully well that if one of the City chances that hit the woodwork had gone in and we had lost they would have started their grumbles. "2 consecutive defeats," "the pressure on Ralph when we play Tottenham, " "the new owners will be appointing their own man. " etc etc.

Yesterday gave Ralph some breathing space but our next two matches are tough ones against Spurs and Man U. Lose those and I daresay the grumbles will start again. 

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, egg said:

Gone is the same system regardless of the opponents or it not working, gone is keeping the ball for the sake of it, gone is killing our players with relentless pressing and then being exposed for a seeing to. This season we've seen a mixture of systems, styles, good counter attacking, and a lot more steel to the players with a bit more edge to us. 

Exactly. 

He clearly identified that things needed to change and has changed them. The contrast between our mental toughness last season and this is worlds apart and there’s a tactical flexibility that was lacking last year. We’re not there yet, as there’s still the odd game where he loses the plot, but we’re definitely heading in the right direction. Let’s hope it continues. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tamesaint said:

Lol at the haters of the "Ralph cult" now coming out and saying that everything has changed. We know fully well that if one of the City chances that hit the woodwork had gone in and we had lost they would have started their grumbles. "2 consecutive defeats," "the pressure on Ralph when we play Tottenham, " "the new owners will be appointing their own man. " etc etc.

Yesterday gave Ralph some breathing space but our next two matches are tough ones against Spurs and Man U. Lose those and I daresay the grumbles will start again. 

What a load of old pony.

We lost to Wolves and I didn’t see one post stating the new owners want their own man, or that the pressure is now on Ralph.

I presume “haters” mean the people who wanted Ralph to change and become tactically more flexible, as well as insert some backbone  into the players and stop making stupid selection decisions/substitutions . There were others  who thought his tactics were fine and he was doing ok as he was. I guess Ralph must be a  hater then, because he’s realised that’s exactly what was required, and done it. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, egg said:

I d go as far and say, Ralph finally made the right move changing a system which worked absolutely great in the German Bundesliga to a system which finally suits Premier league requirements really well

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl