Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

39 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

If the free kick had cleared the wall there is no way JWP would have been able to jump high enough to head it away which makes his decision all the more ludicrous.

Agree. We all know that the hypothetical free-kick that never happened went right into the top corner.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Agree. We all know that the hypothetical free-kick that never happened went right into the top corner.

On a side note, here's a question I've often wondered about. If a player who is standing on the line facing a direct free kick uses the cross bar to get the necessary height to head the ball clear, would that be legitimate?

8 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

On a side note, here's a question I've often wondered about. If a player who is standing on the line facing a direct free kick uses the cross bar to get the necessary height to head the ball clear, would that be legitimate?

Possibly ungentlemanly conduct, like climbing on your teammate's shoulders to gain extra height is (or used to be).

5 hours ago, trousers said:

No need to wonder... he'd have been hailed a hero/genuis if the free kick had cleared the wall and he'd prevented a goal. That's how the fickle-dom of football fan-ship works.

In the same way that Ralph would have been pilloried if he'd subbed McCarthy earlier and Lewis went on to concede two goals and lost us the game, or hailed a hero if Lewis had come on and pulled off a wonder save or two to preserve the victory. 

(Yes, I know the Saintsweb intelligentsia frown upon ifs and hypotheticals, so flak jacket duly donned. )

All that is irrelevant when Ralph himself comes out and publicly blames McCarthy for dropping points. 

It brings me back to my original point. He must’ve known McCarthy was injured if an outfield player is taking goal kicks.  

To me, that’s a player that’s not fit enough to be on the pitch when one of their key roles has been hindered enough for a defender to do for them.

To leave him on and then single him out for blame doesn’t look good. There are ways to make examples of players - this wasn’t justified.

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

All that is irrelevant when Ralph himself comes out and publicly blames McCarthy for dropping points. 

It brings me back to my original point. He must’ve known McCarthy was injured if an outfield player is taking goal kicks.  

To me, that’s a player that’s not fit enough to be on the pitch when one of their key roles has been hindered enough for a defender to do for them.

To leave him on and then single him out for blame doesn’t look good. There are ways to make examples of players - this wasn’t justified.

Unless Ralph has had enough of him.

2 hours ago, aintforever said:

Wouldn't need to be top corner - anything on target after clearing the wall would certainly have been well beyond JWP's reach.

23 hours ago, Mr X said:

This isn't all Ralph's fault but I do feel after three years we really aren't that much better, 71 points lost from winning positions is staggeringly bad when you think the next closest is 56, what's disappointing  is he just hasnt shown that he can consistently learn from his mistakes (I know Saturday was individual mistakes too), when you add in all the other heavy defeats after this season it may be time for a change, how long is Ralph's contract 5 years or four? 

I reckon if he can get a few more points on the sheet he will stun everybody by walking.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

We've been in free-fall for an entire YEAR.

Every excuse in the book has been made to absolve the manager of his responsibility for this side's terminal decline - and some do have merit; this is a poor squad with poor depth and limited funds.

But, regardless, he's had a year to prove he can turn our fortunes around and get a tune out of these players, and he patently can't and isn't going to.

What possible harm is there in trying something new? The worst they can do is fail, which is in keeping with the current status quo.

We're heading down if we do nothing.

• Like 3

Our shite form continues. 3 wins in 16, leaking goals for fun once again and he has absolutely no answers to turn around our diabolical 2021 form. He is an awful coach who has one way of playing and that way of playing hasn't work for nearly a whole year. He's not our own issue but the fact he seems so untouchable is scary. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He won’t be sacked and nor should he. Is he the best manager out there, no not by a long way. Can anyone else do better with this terrible, terrible collection of players, who would be willing to come here and work within our budget? I very much doubt it.

Exactly. Some people are totally deluded.

Koeman will not come back here, Lampard would be hilarious in how bad it would be (you think our defending now is bad). Anyone else would probably hold out for a better opportunity.

Then you've got morons who genuinely think Allardyce (relegated last season) would be a good option.

The fact is, until we get new owners who invest properly in the playing team, we are where we are.

Personally I think we should be doing better in the league and the two home draws were poor results but enough to sack Ralph? Absolutely not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He won’t be sacked and nor should he. Is he the best manager out there, no not by a long way. Can anyone else do better with this terrible, terrible collection of players, who would be willing to come here and work within our budget? I very much doubt it.

There will be loads. 

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

If we did sack Ralph I'd bring back Puel personally. No, not on the wind up, he'd get our defence in order at least.

Didn’t you just say to sack the players as they are shit, and Ralph isn’t the problem. 

now you’re saying another manager will be able to sort the defence out. 

Im confused. 

3 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

If we did sack Ralph I'd bring back Puel personally. No, not on the wind up, he'd get our defence in order at least.

It's a myth that his style of football was defensively solid, he was just very lucky to have Van Dijk, Fonte and Yoshida as his centrebacks.

• Haha 1

Just now, Saint_clark said:

It's a myth that his style of football was defensively solid, he was just very lucky to have Van Dijk, Fonte and Yoshida as his centrebacks.

Van Dijk was injured from January onwards, and Fonte left then as well.

We weren't very good going forward but we didn't concede many.

• Like 1

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Could anyone do better? Based on the last year, absolutely they could.

We had people genuinely arguing that our squad was better than villa, as an example (it’s was nonsense then as much as it is now). And when people have pointed out our 2 strikers are of championship quality; they get called a troll, Yet when we lose, we have a ‘terrible, terrible collection of players’.

It feels like any excuse is made to deflect from the manager who continually puts out the same team, in the same formation using the same tactics, which just aren’t working. 

Many managers, just like Ralph did, would see us a good stepping stone to bigger things in the PL, so I don’t buy this ‘we couldn’t do better’ nonsense. It’s a weak argument. 

Imo, we need to go back to basics. Defend we’ll hit teams on the counter attack. If we don’t win, at least we don’t lose mentality. Sack this high press bollox off, it doesn’t work for the squad we have, continuing with it is absolute madness. 

here’s a list of available managers: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

Farve or valverde would be my choice, but unfortunately we’d likely end up with someone like Lampard who’d be absolutely no better at organising our weak defensive shape.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Didn’t you just say to sack the players as they are shit, and Ralph isn’t the problem. 

now you’re saying another manager will be able to sort the defence out. 

Im confused. 

I don't want us to sack Ralph at all, I think it would be a disastrous decision.

Hence the word 'if'

1 minute ago, Dman said:

We had people genuinely arguing that our squad was better than villa, as an example (it’s was nonsense then as much as it is now). And when people have pointed out our 2 strikers are of championship quality; they get called a troll, Yet when we lose, we have a ‘terrible, terrible collection of players’.

It feels like any excuse is made to deflect from the manager who continually puts out the same team, in the same formation using the same tactics, which just aren’t working. 

Many managers, just like Ralph did, would see us a good stepping stone to bigger things in the PL, so I don’t buy this ‘we couldn’t do better’ nonsense. It’s a weak argument. 

Imo, we need to go back to basics. Defend we’ll hit teams on the counter attack. If we don’t win, at least we don’t lose mentality. Sack this high press bollox off, it doesn’t work for the squad we have, continuing with it is absolute madness. 

here’s a list of available managers: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

Farve or valverde would be my choice, but unfortunately we’d likely end up with someone like Lampard who’d be absolutely no better at organising our weak defensive shape.  

On that list, Nuno by a country mile.

Just now, Billy the Kidd said:

That isn’t what you said, you said it was the players, Ralph isn’t the problem, then said Puel would be better defensively. 

Right, let's just be completely clear here.

I don't think Ralph is the problem. My point is that IF we were to make a change, going for a manager with the same style would be pointless.

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

Right, let's just be completely clear here.

I don't think Ralph is the problem. My point is that IF we were to make a change, going for a manager with the same style would be pointless.

Agreed going for a manager who can’t get a team to score but concede a lot would be pointless 

4 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Get Lampard and Terry in. 
personal opinions aside I’d take a punt on lampard and John Terry to give us some fucking backbone 

We don’t like managers that aren’t lovely guys. Remember how people were against Brendan Rodgers because he said some not very nice stuff 4 years Before 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Get Lampard and Terry in. 
personal opinions aside I’d take a punt on lampard and John Terry to give us some fucking backbone 

Got to say I agree with this mainly as to keep doing the same thing and expect different results is surely madness.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Dman said:

Have read some positive stuff about Favre, but why would he (at 64) or some of the others look to come to a new league and join a relegation scrap ? Not an exciting and long term project as things stand.

I still think this squad is capable of doing better. Ralphs approach of picking a playing style and then matching players to positions is clearly not working and the players know it. The trouble is, I suspect Ralph would rather fail than change the system. 

• Like 6

Given that the match performances are the result of days spent on the training ground, you have to wonder if the training regime is at fault. Our marking and positioning when defending are poor, our free kicks and corners are probably the least effective in the division, God only knows what we do to practice throw ins, and our transition from defence into attack is invariably pedestrian. All of this is down to the coaches, and Ralph is the Head Coach.

Burn the fucking playbook.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LGTL said:

We have completely ran out of ideas. Time for a new direction as we are in desperate need of one. 

I suspect the nailed on Plan B that Crocker and Semmens had up their sleeve is now in Newcastle leaving them scratching their heads.

The new direction though for me has to start at the top, with the ownership for it to make a difference. Strikes me that there is a void of leadership throughout, from the owners to the team. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

I suspect the nailed on Plan B that Crocker and Semmens had up their sleeve is now in Newcastle leaving them scratching their heads.

The new direction though for me has to start at the top, with the ownership for it to make a difference. Strikes me that there is a void of leadership throughout, from the owners to the team. 

I think the team has the potential to produce better results, but that needs a different tactical approach, and Ralph is more stubborn than the 8 donkeys that live in the field at the end of our back garden.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

We've been in free-fall for an entire YEAR.

Every excuse in the book has been made to absolve the manager of his responsibility for this side's terminal decline - and some do have merit; this is a poor squad with poor depth and limited funds.

But, regardless, he's had a year to prove he can turn our fortunes around and get a tune out of these players, and he patently can't and isn't going to.

What possible harm is there in trying something new? The worst they can do is fail, which is in keeping with the current status quo.

We're heading down if we do nothing.

I don't think Ralph would get a tune out of the London Philharmonic.

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl