Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

2 hours ago, TWar said:

I very much wouldn't say playing Walcott at a false 9 was a good move.

Leicester are a good side though and if we play well and miss out because their quality shines through, then that quality should be acknowledged. IE if we have about the same amount of chances as them but they put theirs away because Vardy is a lot better than what we have then that would be acknowledged as a contributing factor rather than saying they "out-tactic'd us". Similarly if one of our weaker players make a glaring error then that player would receive a good share of the blame.

So with your logic it’s always about the players not being good enough, never Ralphs fault ?

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Tactically Puel was very good, two wins over Liverpool, IIRC we didn't concede against them in 4 games that season, won at Arsenal when they were better as well. I dont agree he was too defensive, there were some great performances under him too, we scored 4 away in back to back matches at Watford and Sunderland, i remember we beat Burnley 3-1 at St Marys and we had something like 35 attempts at goal. We weren't defensive in Milan, it was crap finishing that cost us that night, we also weren't defensive at Wembley when we were so unlucky against Man United, he adapted his tactics to suit, he knew if we went toe to toe with the likes of Liverpool there would only be one result.

The trouble is people remember Puel for three things. Not qualifying from the group stages in Europe, yes that wasn't great, but people ignore the fact that under Koeman we didn't even make the group and we were absolutely bloody awful away in Denmark worse than anything we saw under Puel. They only seem to remember the last half a dozen home games, yes that was dull but also it's forgotten than he had in Yoshida and an inexperienced Stephens probably the worst centre back pairing the league, with Fonte sold and Van Dijk injured so he had to set up to give them protection otherwise we'd have got a few hammerings. Finally people moaned about him from the start because he wasn't a big name and not what they expected, people moaned about how boring his interviews were from the start of the season. All the good stuff he did is swept under the carpet. 

Another thing people ignore is that he had a lot more fixtures to contend with than any manager before or since, 6 European matches plus a cup final run and a squad that had lost 5 of it's best players from the previous year for at least half the season 3 for the full season. I like Ralph but tactically Puel was better, very good at being able to set up depending on the opposition and team available to him. 

Puel by miles.... Absolutely fucking miles a better manager than Ralph.

It's not even close.

I thought the club were wrong to sack Puel.

And it's the same story with the Ralphist, aficionado loyalist mob that it's never Ralph's fault.

Nothing is his fault.

It's weird.

Bizarre.

10 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

So with our offering we could attract a manager as good as Ralph, who isn't very good?

Just saying the lure of the Premier League and the extra money that comes with it could be attractive to an up and coming manager or someone more proven that eventually wants a position at a bigger club. You think the likes of Poch, Koeman and Ralph came here thinking we were going to be one of the best teams in the league or that they would have unlimited funds? 

As for the quality of manger - I didn't say (and haven't ever said) Ralph 'isn't very good' - my post even said I think he's doing OK this season - so either you're trying to put words into other peoples mouths or you're saying you don't think he's very good but every other manager is worse? I think some have overrated his performance since his time with us as a whole and that our current performance this season is about what I would expect from this squad and so the idea of someone else doing as well doesn't seem far fetched to me. You seem to be making the assumption that any possibly available manager would automatically perform worse than Ralph when you have no way of knowing that. Sometimes it just doesn't work for a manager in a particular league or club, sometimes tactics and management styles become outdated (see Mourinho for a good example of this) it's not a simple case of 'he's good' or 'he's bad' but nuanced thinking seems to be beyond the comprehension level of a large number on here.

Regardless, it's only a 'what if' scenario right now and I wouldn't expect a change unless the season starts going particularly badly and we look to be in real relegation trouble.

33 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s very simple. Despite getting 2 more points, finishing 11th isn’t as good as finishing 8th. 

If Ralph gets 47 points and by some miracle gets relegated, will you still claim that it was a better performance than Puels 8th . Weird. 

Yes I would, not that it’s mathematically plausible. Your definition of how good a manager is performing seems to hinge on how other teams in the League are doing and not how good we are on the pitch.

Supposing every team in the league except Saints was caught fiddling their taxes and deduced 30 points from last season. We end up about 5th, so would that make Ralph better than Puel in your opinion?

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

You're kidding right?. Redknapp, Jones, Sturrock, Hughes, Pelligrino, Burley, Gray, Puel (even though i thought he got a raw deal here) were all much more frustrating than Hassenhuttl. You just dont like him and we all know the reasons why, it's personal, just be honest about it.

You are so wrong about it being personal. I think his personality is a great fit for our club inasmuch he cares about the youth and the overall way the club is structured. No other foreign manager has shown anything like the same amount of commitment to the infrastructure, the set up and the DNA. For that he should be applauded. I also like his personality, he interviews fairly well, has a nice sense of humour and most important the fans warm to him. He also seems to accept our limited budget. When I say frustrating and, comparing him to all those names you mention, I am talking mainly about team selection (which is obviously fundamental). He tinkers irrationally. Whether its Walker-Peters/Perraud or Walcott instead of Tella. Redmond was given far too much game time when his form went drastically off the boil. He only stopped alternating the keepers when it became obvious Forster was seeing out his contract. Picking Livramento exclusively at full-back. His recent treatment of Adams who came back from international duty on a high only to het yanked twice at half-time. I could go on but you are well versed enough to recognise he can baffle the hell out of us.

I am not saying he is worse than many of those names just incredibly frustrating and hard to fathom and this sometimes obscures his finer points. These next two home games are make or break for me. 4 points keep in anything less then I would start to cast my net if I was Semmens or at least dip a toe in the water.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

Just saying the lure of the Premier League and the extra money that comes with it could be attractive to an up and coming manager or someone more proven that eventually wants a position at a bigger club. You think the likes of Poch, Koeman and Ralph came here thinking we were going to be one of the best teams in the league or that they would have unlimited funds? 

As for the quality of manger - I didn't say (and haven't ever said) Ralph 'isn't very good' - my post even said I think he's doing OK this season - so either you're trying to put words into other peoples mouths or you're saying you don't think he's very good but every other manager is worse? I think some have overrated his performance since his time with us as a whole and that our current performance this season is about what I would expect from this squad and so the idea of someone else doing as well doesn't seem far fetched to me. You seem to be making the assumption that any possibly available manager would automatically perform worse than Ralph when you have no way of knowing that. Sometimes it just doesn't work for a manager in a particular league or club, sometimes tactics and management styles become outdated (see Mourinho for a good example of this) it's not a simple case of 'he's good' or 'he's bad' but nuanced thinking seems to be beyond the comprehension level of a large number on here.

Regardless, it's only a 'what if' scenario right now and I wouldn't expect a change unless the season starts going particularly badly and we look to be in real relegation trouble.

I think it comes down to the fact that under Ralph we've not ever been in serious danger of relegation. We could try a new manager to see if they do better, but the downside of them doing worse (relegation) is so much worse than the upside (gaining a few extra places in the league).

If things go badly in the next couple of months and it seriously looks like we'll be relegated then it will absolutely be time for a change

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Left Back said:

This I get.  I don't agree with the end of last season opinion but its seems coherent and thought through (And the carrot made me laugh out loud)

This I don't get.  It's so short-termist that it I just can't get on board with it.  If he's 'stuck and can't find a way out' and 'we need a fresh mind, fresh energy and fresh approach' why should your view depend on just two matches? From what you are saying, presumably if we win one of these games you are happy for him to stay  As this pendulum thread shows, there's room here for people who want to him to stay and those that want him to go.  So pick one but try and base it on something more substantial than 2 matches.

Edit.  As per Lord D, for the avoidance of doubt, I am for Ralph staying for the season.  We've played some good stuff so far, we just can't score.  Ralph has shown more flexibility (criticism has moved from being too stubborn to too tinker man).  The spirit seems there, were doing ok (but not great).

You miss my point. Its not "just about two games" it's about these two games on the end if all the rest. 

Hes had chance after chance and as much as I like him we are just not getting anywhere. Win these two and you'd probably stick with him for a couple more but for me he's st the end of the road....how close it is I'm not so sure 

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

Puel by miles.... Absolutely fucking miles a better manager than Ralph.

It's not even close.

I thought the club were wrong to sack Puel.

And it's the same story with the Ralphist, aficionado loyalist mob that it's never Ralph's fault.

Nothing is his fault.

It's weird.

Bizarre.

Can you clarify by naming the posters in this mob you speak of?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

So with your logic it’s always about the players not being good enough, never Ralphs fault ?

If he started Walcott as a false 9 it would be his fault. Or if he benched Salisu, JWP, or one of our key players for someone much worse. Or if he played a crazy defensive formation when we need a win or crazy attacking against a top side.

There are lots of things he could get wrong, but there are also lots of things that could go wrong out of his control. The latter list gets bigger the larger the quality disparity between our squad and that we are playing against.

If, as I say, the game is pretty even and both teams make a similar number of chances and it is decided by which strikers were more clinical/which GK is better then that is on the players, unfortunately.

Edited by TWar

I find this sudden, belated "Love-in" with Puel amazing. Having been watching Saints since the mid 50's, his season with us was the only one that I, along with 1000's others, didn't bother to stay for the traditional end-of-season "Lap of Honour" with the manager and team. Someone else used the word "turgid" to describe his football. It was generally painful to watch. He hasn't exactly set the world alight since he left.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Tactically Puel was very good, two wins over Liverpool, IIRC we didn't concede against them in 4 games that season, won at Arsenal when they were better as well. I dont agree he was too defensive, there were some great performances under him too, we scored 4 away in back to back matches at Watford and Sunderland, i remember we beat Burnley 3-1 at St Marys and we had something like 35 attempts at goal. We weren't defensive in Milan, it was crap finishing that cost us that night, we also weren't defensive at Wembley when we were so unlucky against Man United, he adapted his tactics to suit, he knew if we went toe to toe with the likes of Liverpool there would only be one result.

The trouble is people remember Puel for three things. Not qualifying from the group stages in Europe, yes that wasn't great, but people ignore the fact that under Koeman we didn't even make the group and we were absolutely bloody awful away in Denmark worse than anything we saw under Puel. They only seem to remember the last half a dozen home games, yes that was dull but also it's forgotten than he had in Yoshida and an inexperienced Stephens probably the worst centre back pairing the league, with Fonte sold and Van Dijk injured so he had to set up to give them protection otherwise we'd have got a few hammerings. Finally people moaned about him from the start because he wasn't a big name and not what they expected, people moaned about how boring his interviews were from the start of the season. All the good stuff he did is swept under the carpet. 

Another thing people ignore is that he had a lot more fixtures to contend with than any manager before or since, 6 European matches plus a cup final run and a squad that had lost 5 of it's best players from the previous year for at least half the season 3 for the full season. I like Ralph but tactically Puel was better, very good at being able to set up depending on the opposition and team available to him. 

That’s actually a really fair point about being defensive. I think it was the home games which gave him that defensive reputation. 

His style is great away from home where naturally teams will attack you a little more, but not great at home when teams look to sit back. Effectively causing both teams to cancel each other out. That being said, Leicester won the league doing exactly that. 

Had Puel had Gabbiadini from the start of the season, who knows how that season would have ended. He remains the only manager we had to get a tune out of him (he genuinely looked world class at times). 

I actually think the club learned a big lesson when they backed the players over Puel, with the benefit of hindsight, we should have fucked off Bertrand, Austin and co. Before the manager. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

I feel Norwich was out of Ralph’s control. Those two goals let in by McCarthy were way below substandard. Three points there and it would be a much rosier picture. 

Think you'll find Ralph picked him. And continues to. He is not good enough to keep goal for a Prem team

1 hour ago, miserableoldgit said:

I find this sudden, belated "Love-in" with Puel amazing. 

It’s not sudden or belated, and it’s not a love in. A lot of us felt he did a decent job and deserved another season. We’re now merely pointing out that Ralph has been given a lot more slack and backing from the board, and the fan base than Puel got. That maybe a good thing, but it’s not the point. 8th and a cup final is clearly a better record than Ralph’s. I wouldn’t want Puel managing us now, but I wouldn’t want Ronald Koeman managing us either, or Lawrie for that matter. He’s one of 3 managers to take us to a cup final in the last 100 years and only 3 or 4 have finished higher in the top flight. That’s a pretty decent season, better than anything Ralph’s produced, so far. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

I feel Norwich was out of Ralph’s control. Those two goals let in by McCarthy were way below substandard. 

The second half performance was pathetic - like it always is. Norwich, the worst team in the league, absolutely bullied us for 45 minutes. We were hanging on for a point.

Who carries can for our frequent dire performances after half time? There must be a reason for it - can't all be McCarthy's fault.

• Like 2

I thought Puel was unlucky, I didn't love him but thought he did a decent enough job. To be honest the only manager in recent times I was really keen on us getting rid of asap was Pellegrino.

No doubt there are some annoying moments with Hasenhuttl, but for the most part this season we've been enjoyable to watch. Frustrating in front of goal, sure, but in most games I have been on the edge of my seat more than I've been hiding behind my hands because of how we are playing - i.e. attacking, exciting. Being solid defensively with some good tactical decisions for a period was also reason for optimism as those areas were previously sore points with Hasenhuttl. Of course the last two results have flipped that back again, which is concerning, but on the whole this season I think our general play is decent.

53 minutes ago, DT said:

Think you'll find Ralph picked him. And continues to. He is not good enough to keep goal for a Prem team

True, but I'd make this counter argument: We had to decide whether to keep Forster OR McCarthy. We all know Forster's contract situation - one of the most extraordinary decisions that the club made financially in recent times, probably second behind the Carrillo purchase. He might do well from time to time, but Forster also has his own flaws as a GK so the choice purely on ability isn't an obvious one, so from a financial point of view it made sense to stick with McCarthy. So of course now we've chosen him as our number 1/future GK, we are going to stick with him unless he really falls apart. I agree that he isn't quite of the level we would like, and the Norwich goals, particular the second, were poor, but he has also played quite well in previous games and kept a few clean sheets, so he's not constantly catastrophic.

So, with that in mind, do you not think the "well Ralph picked him" is a little disingenuous? If we're going to criticise selection (esp from that game), I'd look more at bringing on Walcott ahead of Tella (and his continued overlooking of Tella), who had a shocker and missed a glorious chance at the end.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

The second half performance was pathetic - like it always is. Norwich, the worst team in the league, absolutely bullied us for 45 minutes. We were hanging on for a point.

Who carries can for our frequent dire performances after half time? There must be a reason for it - can't all be McCarthy's fault.

We really weren't, they barely had a shot on target outside the ones they scored. We on the other hand dominated possession and missed some key chances.

7 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

You're one of the posters on here who posts pretty decently.

But fucking hell.

That is a shocking post and you go to games.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one then.

Losing 9-0 twice makes no difference to me. The only time I ever think about it is when it gets brought up on here which seems quite regularly at the moment. I even work with Pompey fans and they don't really mention it. 

Seems like it bothers some people more than others but that's always going to be the way.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TWar said:

We really weren't, they barely had a shot on target outside the ones they scored. We on the other hand dominated possession and missed some key chances.

First half we dominated possession but it didn't seem like that in the second half. They had lots of territorial advantage although they only scored the winner because of some rank defending and goalkeeping.

The only other clear cut chance I remember was when McCarthy ran out for that cross and missed it, although I haven't watched the highlights since I was in the ground and didn't want to see any of that again!

Should have easily walked away from that with at least a point.

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

First half we dominated possession but it didn't seem like that in the second half. They had lots of territorial advantage although they only scored the winner because of some rank defending and goalkeeping.

The only other clear cut chance I remember was when McCarthy ran out for that cross and missed it, although I haven't watched the highlights since I was in the ground and didn't want to see any of that again!

Should have easily walked away from that with at least a point.

These things happen. We lost that game due to a couple of GK errors, but we held on to a point at united due to them being pretty poor finishers. It is the ebb and flow of football in a way. Sometimes you have to appreciate when you have been unlucky to come away with a loss and hope it levels out in the long run.

4 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

You are so wrong about it being personal. I think his personality is a great fit for our club inasmuch he cares about the youth and the overall way the club is structured. No other foreign manager has shown anything like the same amount of commitment to the infrastructure, the set up and the DNA. For that he should be applauded. I also like his personality, he interviews fairly well, has a nice sense of humour and most important the fans warm to him. He also seems to accept our limited budget. When I say frustrating and, comparing him to all those names you mention, I am talking mainly about team selection (which is obviously fundamental). He tinkers irrationally. Whether its Walker-Peters/Perraud or Walcott instead of Tella. Redmond was given far too much game time when his form went drastically off the boil. He only stopped alternating the keepers when it became obvious Forster was seeing out his contract. Picking Livramento exclusively at full-back. His recent treatment of Adams who came back from international duty on a high only to het yanked twice at half-time. I could go on but you are well versed enough to recognise he can baffle the hell out of us.

I am not saying he is worse than many of those names just incredibly frustrating and hard to fathom and this sometimes obscures his finer points. These next two home games are make or break for me. 4 points keep in anything less then I would start to cast my net if I was Semmens or at least dip a toe in the water.

it seemed that your anti Hassenhuttl stance started when it became apparent a certain former striker would not get much of a run in the team. I get it, i'm sure most of us would be the same in that situation and FWIW i think he should have been given a chance. Anyway that aside, all the managers i listed were guilty of strange tactics, formations, signings and subs all far more frustrating that Hassenhuttl. I definitely think Ralph gets an easy ride from a lot of fans, especially given the grief someone like Puel got who achieved more.

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

it seemed that your anti Hassenhuttl stance started when it became apparent a certain former striker would not get much of a run in the team. I get it, i'm sure most of us would be the same in that situation and FWIW i think he should have been given a chance. Anyway that aside, all the managers i listed were guilty of strange tactics, formations, signings and subs all far more frustrating that Hassenhuttl. I definitely think Ralph gets an easy ride from a lot of fans, especially given the grief someone like Puel got who achieved more.

I think all managers have a tendency for strange tactics/formations eg Klopp playing Henderson as CB.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Forster is hardly better though. You can only pick from the keepers you have.

This - however where I will criticise Ralph is that he knows neither keeper is up to standard, and had a whole summer to sign a quality stopper, but instead of sorting out that issue he sanctioned signing Walcott on a 2 year deal worth £75k a week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

This - however where I will criticise Ralph is that he knows neither keeper is up to standard, and had a whole summer to sign a quality stopper, but instead of sorting out that issue he sanctioned signing Walcott on a 2 year deal worth £75k a week.

Yep, that’s circa £7-8m down the toilet over 2 years. Not saying that would have bought a GK but could have used that money on loaning a better keeper in that pays for themselves in an increased league position. Relegated Forster to U23s with no first team pathway, he might actually have finally moved on for his good as much as the club’s and that would have saved a little bit.

Or not sign Theo at all. I like Theo and he did well in the early part of last season but has looked totally spent this term.

Hope he comes off the bench and sticks two fingers at me by scoring a 90th minute winner tomorrow night now!

PS - realise Crocker’s decision as well but managers need to insist on decent GKs whatever the budget, especially when the Theo and Long extensions would have bought one combined. 

Edited by saint1977

1 hour ago, TWar said:

These things happen. We lost that game due to a couple of GK errors, but we held on to a point at united due to them being pretty poor finishers. It is the ebb and flow of football in a way. Sometimes you have to appreciate when you have been unlucky to come away with a loss and hope it levels out in the long run.

So we lost the game due to a couple of GK errors, but also dominated possession and missed chances.

Did they not also contribute to the loss?

3 hours ago, mrfahaji said:

True, but I'd make this counter argument: We had to decide whether to keep Forster OR McCarthy. We all know Forster's contract situation - one of the most extraordinary decisions that the club made financially in recent times, probably second behind the Carrillo purchase. He might do well from time to time, but Forster also has his own flaws as a GK so the choice purely on ability isn't an obvious one, so from a financial point of view it made sense to stick with McCarthy. So of course now we've chosen him as our number 1/future GK, we are going to stick with him unless he really falls apart. I agree that he isn't quite of the level we would like, and the Norwich goals, particular the second, were poor, but he has also played quite well in previous games and kept a few clean sheets, so he's not constantly catastrophic.

So, with that in mind, do you not think the "well Ralph picked him" is a little disingenuous? If we're going to criticise selection (esp from that game), I'd look more at bringing on Walcott ahead of Tella (and his continued overlooking of Tella), who had a shocker and missed a glorious chance at the end.

Stevie fucking Wonder can see that Forster is the better keeper.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

You're kidding right?. Redknapp, Jones, Sturrock, Hughes, Pelligrino, Burley, Gray, Puel (even though i thought he got a raw deal here) were all much more frustrating than Hassenhuttl. You just dont like him and we all know the reasons why, it's personal, just be honest about it.

Let's not forget our dear old pal Steve Wigley. Form me he vies with Pellegrino as the most frustrating aka shit manager we've had since Branfoot.

18 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Stevie fucking Wonder can see that Forster is the better keeper.

This. McCarthy should be nothing more than a backup keeper at this level. Forster is somewhat error prone and has his faults but is a much more reliable keeper than McCarthy. Neither of them is an ideal long term solution but Forster in the short term should be a no brainer. I get the feeling Forster not being played is financial/contractual rather than that Ralph sees AMc as the better option.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Let's not forget our dear old pal Steve Wigley. Form me he vies with Pellegrino as the most frustrating aka shit manager we've had since Branfoot.

That was really weird. Sturrock sacked after 3 games of the season then Wigley interviewed where he was asked who was in charge now and he basically announced himself as the new head coach. Felt a bit sorry for him as he blatantly wasn’t ever right for the manager job, but at least he beat Pompey 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

That was really weird. Sturrock sacked after 3 games of the season then Wigley interviewed where he was asked who was in charge now and he basically announced himself as the new head coach. Felt a bit sorry for him as he blatantly wasn’t ever right for the manager job, but at least he beat Pompey 

🤣 I still remember how bizarre that was even now. Wigley saying “ no no, I really am in charge. I’ve been given the job, honestly”.

Edited by The Kraken

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah I felt sorry for him as well, so clearly and utterly out of his depth. I'm sure I remember him saying "I don't know what to do about it" or similar with a rabbit in headlights expression on his face when asked about our terrible form in a post match interview. 

1 hour ago, Bob76 said:

So we lost the game due to a couple of GK errors, but also dominated possession and missed chances.

Did they not also contribute to the loss?

Yes, they did. We should have killed the game. The gk was the biggest source of blame but our attack shoulders some too. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl