Ryan Bertrand

Saint Garrett

7 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I think everyone needs to.read that thread. Brilliant share thank you Lighthouse. They absolutely despise Bertrand and Vestergaard.

Brings me some confidence in our decision making. 

56 minutes ago, Nick75Sfc said:

I think everyone needs to.read that thread. Brilliant share thank you Lighthouse. They absolutely despise Bertrand and Vestergaard.

Brings me some confidence in our decision making. 

They are stupid in saying that we mugged them. Bertrand was a free agent. Him going to Leicester was totally their choice..

9 hours ago, farawaysaint said:

Was absolutely brilliant for us for years be fair.

I'd probably use words more along the lines of: "solid" or "dependable". Yes, he was one of our better players for the majority of his time here, but my natural instinct wouldn't be to use a superlative to describe him. That said, football is all about opinions of course. 

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

There were people on here complaining that we didn't give him a new contract...

Yep. He was shot last season. Releasing him was the obvious decision. The posts on the Leicester forum are great, and not surprising. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'd probably use words more along the lines of: "solid" or "dependable". Yes, he was one of our better players for the majority of his time here, but my natural instinct wouldn't be to use a superlative to describe him. That said, football is all about opinions of course. 

I can only compare him to the rest of the team to be fair, we are what we are 😂

55 minutes ago, trousers said:

IMO he was top notch. At his best, no opponent ever beat him, he was so quick and his decision making was excellent. Great first touch and he kept the ball well. He also got forward to create chances. I guess he didn't score goals many goals, but he was probably the best left back in the country at one point. He ain't now, and players that rely heavily on pace, as he did, often fall of a cliff in terms of overall output and effectiveness once the legs go. I'd of liked to have kept him (on a much reduced contract) as backup to a younger player, but that was never going to happen. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

IMO he was top notch. At his best, no opponent ever beat him, he was so quick and his decision making was excellent. Great first touch and he kept the ball well. He also got forward to create chances. I guess he didn't score goals many goals, but he was probably the best left back in the country at one point. He ain't now, and players that rely heavily on pace, as he did, often fall of a cliff in terms of overall output and effectiveness once the legs go. I'd of liked to have kept him (on a much reduced contract) as backup to a younger player, but that was never going to happen. 

I'd agree with that. I'd go as far as to see in the past few years he and Romeu were our most important players, the type that go relatively unnoticed but get the job done.

But all good things come to an end and we let him go at the right time.  I've guessed from this thread's re-emergence that Leicester played last night so have just found the highlights.  I can honestly say from watching that I have no idea what position Bertrand was - or thought he was - playing in last night.  Slow chasing back (after only 3 minutes) for their 1st, played them all onside for their 2nd. You could argue that he was very exposed for their 3rd goal, having to cover a player in the centre and out on the wing, but even when he got to the player with the ball he was bypassed easier than a pitch invader avoiding an overwewight steward.

Edited by Wurzel
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

I'd agree with that. I'd go as gar as to see in the past few years he and Romeu were our most important players, the type that go relatively unnoticed but get the job done.

But all good things come to an end and we let him go at the right time.  I've guessed from this thread's re-emergence that Leicester played last night so have just found the highlights.  I can honestly say from watching that I have no idea what position Bertrand was - or thought he was - playing in last night.  You could argue that he was very exposed for their 3rd goal, having to cover a player in the centre and out on the wing, but even when he got to the player with the ball he was bypassed easier than a pitch invader avoiding an overwewight steward.

Bertrand was such a good player for us until the last 12 - 18 months - but his decline came quickly and it was a surprise when Leicester re-ignited their interest in him.   At his top those pacy, marauding runs, crosses and link up play were at the highest level.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, farawaysaint said:

Was absolutely brilliant for us for years be fair.

Season 1: Best LB in the league

Season 2: One of the top four best LBs in the league

Season 3: Quite good, dependable but nothing special

Season 4: Hardly match fit, mistakes creeping in.

Season 5: Lazy, unmotivated, never looked like he could be arsed.

Season 6: Utter garbage

Season 7: Taking this season in isolation, possibly one of the worst players we've had since returning to the PL.

1 hour ago, Instant Classic said:

Season 7: Taking this season in isolation, possibly one of the worst players we've had since returning to the PL.

I think this is too harsh. He was decent enough defensively last season, just offered nothing going forward. Still streets ahead of someone like Danny Fox

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Instant Classic said:

Oh, I wasn’t claiming that he was consistently brilliant. We let go at the right time. I am just saying that he had some phenomenal seasons.

Betrand was a good player, it was obvious for a while he was not at the same level as he had been, but was still our best available LB. But it left this glaring weakness in our side. I was encouraged when the club actually made the decision to let him go, we have not been so good at seeing the writing on the wall of some of our aging players and persisted past the point we should have let them go. In the old days players reaching the ends of their careers would slide down the scale to keep playing at their level. The current generation seem to want to stay put, I know its about money so is unlikely to change, but hey that's the way it is.

5 hours ago, Instant Classic said:

each to their own, but for context, and admittedly it would be based on only half a season, what would your assessment be of Perraud?

3 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Vestergaard a funnier one. Signing defenders who you beat 9-0. He was good in the euros, but he needs a back 3. Even then, we've all seen him misjudge long balls countless times and get destroyed for pace by average prem players. A likeable player, a nice footballer, but not a great defender. Ours can be erratic, but I wouldn't put Vestergaard above Bednarek or Stephens in performance levels, even though I don't much rate them. Salisu is definitely better by some way.

Slow defenders are a liability. It doesn't mean they can't play well and a great defensive unit can be built with them in. I mean Leicester won the league with Wes Morgan at its heart, but why buy a slow CB when you have the funds (as Leicester did) to buy one with strength, power, ball skills and that pace? 

Maybe that was the scouting brief: another Wes Morgan, big and good in the air, maybe a but better with the ball. Perhaps the headed goals earlier last season and Euros glossed over the poor second half to the season and the quite frankly shite seasons prior.

All being said, not sure we've upgraded in Lyanco though.

• 2 years later...

He's still without a club but hasn't announced his retirement. Surely worth signing on a short term deal for the last few months of the season with the issues with we have at left back currently. I'm very concerned that KWP will get injured and Bree or Meghoma at the same time. Leaves us really short and weak in the full back position. Also would be a good role model for the youngsters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Saint IQ said:

He's still without a club but hasn't announced his retirement. Surely worth signing on a short term deal for the last few months of the season with the issues with we have at left back currently. I'm very concerned that KWP will get injured and Bree or Meghoma at the same time. Leaves us really short and weak in the full back position. Also would be a good role model for the youngsters.

Wasnt he consistently injured over the past few years with Leicester?

2 hours ago, Saint IQ said:

What have you been smoking?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ryan Bertrand

Also would be a good role model for the youngsters.

This seems to be the go to quote for any player over 35 who’s not a violent sex offender. I’ve no idea what it means or what he’s supposed to add to the squad. Anyway, Bertrand is crocked and would be worse than Manning if he ever got on the pitch.

• Haha 1

He's been injured for almost 2 years. He may not have officially retired, but he's all but retired in top level terms. Best he can get now is some money thrown at him by Wrexham for 6 months.

But he probably does need to hang it up now. Was great for us in the Koeman years, one of our best LB's in the PL era imo.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

This seems to be the go to quote for any player over 35 who’s not a violent sex offender. I’ve no idea what it means or what he’s supposed to add to the squad. Anyway, Bertrand is crocked and would be worse than Manning if he ever got on the pitch.

Older more experienced players teach younger ones. They've been through what they're going through. Not that hard to understand for most people IMO.

Edited by Saint IQ

2 minutes ago, Saint IQ said:

Older more experienced players teach younger ones. They've been through what they're going through. Not that hard to understand for most people IMO.

But do they though? How do you Bertrand will?

I have no doubt there are plenty of veteran players who turn up, do their own thing and fuck off home again. There's no way they are all bloody mentors and teachers.

In contrast there are young players (Harwood-Bellis) that are leaders now and will be leaders for the next decade.

Not that hard to understand IMO.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Saint IQ said:

Age and experience doesn't automatically make people good teachers. 

I’m sure older players can be role models, set an example and inspire younger players. But they’ve got to be good enough & Bertrand hasn’t fucking been since he left us. If we want a has been who can’t get in the squad, we might as well re sign Mick Mills. He was a better captain, role model & leader than Bertrand ever was, and he’ll probably want less money for not playing. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1