Ryan Bertrand

Saint Garrett

3 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

But can't help but think selfishly in the short-term that its now two left backs we need to buy this summer with what I am assuming is a small transfer budget which isn't supplemented by his departure because we won't receive a fee for him.

I'd guess he'd be replaced by much younger players, who will be lower down the wage structure than Bertrand was. So money would be saved from that and we'd hopefully have a bigger asset if they turn out to be any good vs a player in their 30s.

16 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

For professional footballers the important location is the training ground and not the main stadium. In Chelsea’s case that is Chobham. Arsenal’s is at London Colney just south of the M25 to the north of London. Tottenham’s is just on the East to the north of Enfield. Geographically it is a mile from where I used to live in the 1960’s. 

I don’t think he will be going to either of these two.

Just had a look on Google Maps. Never knew Arsenal and Watford were next door neighbours. They are so close to each other that they could even write messages on footballs taking the piss of each other and kick them over the fence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

For professional footballers the important location is the training ground and not the main stadium. In Chelsea’s case that is Chobham. Arsenal’s is at London Colney just south of the M25 to the north of London. Tottenham’s is just on the East to the north of Enfield. Geographically it is a mile from where I used to live in the 1960’s. 

Just north.  (And around the corner from St Albans.)   

1 hour ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

I wish him well, can't complain based on the service he gave the club and overall body of work.

But can't help but think selfishly in the short-term that its now two left backs we need to buy this summer with what I am assuming is a small transfer budget which isn't supplemented by his departure because we won't receive a fee for him.

When Luke Shaw left, RB was the perfect replacement and a shrewd piece of recruitment - Mitchell's work I suspect.    The best memories I will keep of Bertrand are those barnstorming, overlapping  runs followed mostly with sweet left footed crosses into the box.    Even a couple of months ago I was in the camp hoping he would re-sign, but it is fairly apparent he has lost a yard and the attacking runs seem to have gone as a result.   Wish him well and I'll continue to follow his progress.

14 hours ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

I mean, i reckon we're going back in for Williams on loan.

Edited by Saint86

A class act, quality defensively and in possession. Personally, I would have been happy to see him stay on for a couple more years, but let's hope we can sign a younger replacement with some quality who can step into his boots.

Can't help speculating that there may have been some kind of tension recently with Ralph reading his Twitter sign off. Seems odd he would thank Semmens and Crocker but not mention the manager? The comment about finding a new  home that allows him "freedom to play and maximise his contribution to the team" is interesting. A hint of unhappiness with how Ralph has asked him to play recently? I could be reading too much into it though! It certainly seems a well thought out message, quite typical of Ryan I think.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up 👍

8 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I'd guess he'd be replaced by much younger players, who will be lower down the wage structure than Bertrand was. So money would be saved from that and we'd hopefully have a bigger asset if they turn out to be any good vs a player in their 30s.

I also reckon there was a weigh up between Ings staying and Bertrand staying ... I'm sure some of the cash saved off Bertie's contract will beef up Danny's new offer. 

I'll be sorry to see him go.

He's been an exceptional signing and for periods over the last 6 years he's been our best player and I think at times the best Left back in the Premier League, we've been lucky to have him for so long during his peak playing days.

I do think that now is probably the right time for him to move on, his performances have steadily declined over the last 2 years and I think the emergence of KWP has only highlighted that fact, he's still been a consistent solid performer however he used to be a consistent exceptional performer. 

My suspicion is he's been struggling for motivation, I think he's still got the ability to play for a better side and do a great job for them.

I suspect over the next 2 years there will be some Saints fans who'll see performances for his new club and think we made a mistake in letting him go however I doubt if we managed to keep him, you'd see that same level of performance. He needs re-invigorating and I think its only a new challenge/move that will allow him to do that.

Sincerely I wish him the best of luck, its been an absolute pleasure having him play for this club, signed as a replacement to the most expensive left back ever sold at the time and for the majority of the last 6 years his performance far surpassed those of Shaws

Exceptional business, exceptional player.

All the best Bertie and thank you.

Edited by Dan Johnson
  • Like 10

On 08/05/2021 at 09:50, Charlie Wayman said:

If Ryan Bertrand is allowed to slip away it will be one of the worst decisions this club has ever made in the transfer market.

Much emphasis is put on establishing a club 'culture' and Ryan epitomises all that is good about players that fit our ideas of 'culture'. Like JWP and I suspect Stuart Armstrong intelligence, club loyalty and decency are the outstanding hallmarks of his character. His influence on the team and its culture surely go way beyond his performances on the pitch. For the sake of a few quid or months on his contract we will be mad to let him go. We have no adequate back-up and the cost of replacing him probably will massively outweigh any savings made by being hard-nosed in negotiations.

It is well known that he has ambitions beyond playing so surely we can do deal on the basis of him having a player / coach role here as his playing days wind down. Heaven knows some of the coaches that we employ currently as 'coaches' have far less to offer than a player as experienced as Bertie as results would tend to confirm.

If he goes I will be out in Britannia Road with my "Sack the Board!" placard 

Dont forget to take some selfies in the middle of the road .......post em on the forum as proof.😇

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Chez said:

Very decent left back in the games that I've watched him play and he can provide cover for right back. Perfect type of player for us. Whether he can perform to the standard KWP has, I am not sure.

He's been really good for Manchester United in that position but he's not going to get ahead of Shaw.

People on here shouting for Henry at Brentford ought to have a word, Brentford don't let players go on the cheap, I remember when we were getting linked heavily with Mepham and then got beaten out by fucking Bournemouth.

I've also seen shouts for Toney aswell, he'll be about double what we could afford aswell from them.

Brandon Williams would be a good signing.

Edited by JustinSFC

One thing we may need to accept is that whoever we get to replace him, will probably not be as good as Bertrand at his best, but hopefully will be as good as Bertrand would be next season.

I thought Omar Richards was the ideal replacement, but obviously we need to look elsewhere. Perhaps Lloyd Kelly would be a good option is Bompey don't get promoted. He's possibly the most one footed player i have ever seen, but after Bertrand we should be used to that. Rico Henry is another option, but both players wont come cheap. I do wonder if Henry is quick and strong enough to dominate at the highest level, but he has the first touch to play in the Prem.

What about that Sessegnon bloke who was at Fulham and then at Spurs . He was the next big thing at one time.  I’m not a hipster, so haven’t got a clue what he’s playing like now or whether he’d be within our price range. But Graham Taylor always used to say that middling clubs should be buying players that were in a dip and then build them back up. Look at Bertrand, he wasn’t tearing up trees on loan at villa. If I remember Sessegnon was very attacking full back/left winger who would fit our preferred style of play. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

36 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What about that Sessegnon bloke who was at Fulham and then at Spurs . He was the next big thing at one time.  I’m not a hipster, so haven’t got a clue what he’s playing like now or whether he’d be within our price range. But Graham Taylor always used to say that middling clubs should be buying players that were in a dip and then build them back up. Look at Bertrand, he wasn’t tearing up trees on loan at villa. If I remember Sessegnon was very attacking full back/left winger who would fit our preferred style of play. 

He’s on loan from Tottenham at 1899 Hoffenheim. He joined Spurs in 2019 for a mere £25m.

Might be worth a punt though at the right price or even on loan.

57 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He was loaned to Hoffenheim by Mourinho with the brief to learn how to play left back week in week out. No idea how he's gone, but he's at least been getting games.

Looked miles out of his depth at Spurs. Too feeble defensively to play left back; too timid on the ball to play left wing. But, you know, he's only 20 so it's not like he's a write off.

A loan is probably the only serious option available to us.

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He's played both left back and left midfield for them, starting almost all the games when fit. I think they are pretty average side, like us.

Many fans will be genuinely sad that Ryan is leaving in the summer. He found his home here and will leave with a huge amount of respect and love. He will be sadly missed. He deserves to be remembered as a true Saint and receive a hearty welcome whenever he chooses to return as a fan or follower as he implies on his Twitter account. 

It is always sad when the career of a loyal servant such as Ryan inevitably winds down but it is probably right that he has quit now rather than let the years' take their toll. In Ralph's high energy, gut-busting playbook that might have been sooner rather than later.

He has a year or two left in his legs in a less demanding environment and deserves a final big pay day. Who knows, with his ambitions in club management we might well see him back soon as a coach. He has a lot of experience tp pass on.

Good luck Ryan and Thank You.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, qwertyell said:

He was loaned to Hoffenheim by Mourinho with the brief to learn how to play left back week in week out. No idea how he's gone, but he's at least been getting games.

Looked miles out of his depth at Spurs. Too feeble defensively to play left back; too timid on the ball to play left wing. But, you know, he's only 20 so it's not like he's a write off.

A loan is probably the only serious option available to us.

Sounds a bit like Walker-Peters. 

On 12/05/2021 at 22:50, austsaint said:

When Luke Shaw left, RB was the perfect replacement and a shrewd piece of recruitment - Mitchell's work I suspect.    The best memories I will keep of Bertrand are those barnstorming, overlapping  runs followed mostly with sweet left footed crosses into the box.    Even a couple of months ago I was in the camp hoping he would re-sign, but it is fairly apparent he has lost a yard and the attacking runs seem to have gone as a result.   Wish him well and I'll continue to follow his progress.

Perfect summary.  One of our very best players from Premier League era, been one of the best in his position in the country over seven years and there aren’t many Saints players who have held those standards for so long with us without moving.  Davis and Le Tisier I would put in that category, albeit Le Tiss some way out in front

• 2 weeks later...

Leicester were obviously impressed with his contribution during the 9-0...

I believe his best days are long gone but the frustration will be if he suddenly starts looking like an international full back again and it becomes apparent that we were not using him correctly in recent seasons.

• Like 1

Will be a good signing for Leicester, can still play at the highest level, and we'll miss him for sure.

Seems odd him wanting a 3 year deal and ending up with a 1 year deal at Leicester. Probably has options of 2nd / 3rd depending on appearances

Best of luck to him.

• Like 1

Good squad signing for Leicester, although I can imagine it would only be a short-term to cover the injury to Justin.

They have good full back options though, Pereria, Castange, Justin, Thomas (good young player). If he does go there he'll just be replacing Fuchs place in the squad.

1 hour ago, rallyboy said:

Leicester were obviously impressed with his contribution during the 9-0...

I believe his best days are long gone but the frustration will be if he suddenly starts looking like an international full back again and it becomes apparent that we were not using him correctly in recent seasons.

He may just need a new challenge too. I'm preparing for him to look great at his new club but it doesn't mean we should have kept him

• Like 1

Signing for Leicester is a weird one.  He’s going from being first choice at Saints to a bit part player.  I can’t imagine Leicester are paying a huge amount more than we would be, and also I would have thought it’s a longer commute, given he allegedly lives in Surrey!  Still, I hope he does well

On 12/05/2021 at 20:54, Whitey Grandad said:

Cobham, not Chobham.

We should’ve have kept him (if possible). 

Clearly still a very good player - and doesn’t bomb forward as much as he once did because of tactics (not because he can’t). KWP pushes high and the LB shuffles across to form a back 3, so Bednarek can cover the space KWP has vacated. It’s why Stephens & Salisu have done well there recently too. 

Feel this may be another Fonte. We complain that our squad is devoid of character, but then never retain senior players.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Signing for Leicester is a weird one.  He’s going from being first choice at Saints to a bit part player.  I can’t imagine Leicester are paying a huge amount more than we would be, and also I would have thought it’s a longer commute, given he allegedly lives in Surrey!  Still, I hope he does well

My thoughts too.

Who was it on here who said he was signing for Arsenal because he's wanted to be near London or something?

Whoever that was got that wrong.

Also...

Why leave here to sign a 1 year deal there?

It's not even as if they're in the champions League is it?

And are Leicester really offering THAT much more than us in wages to a player they're only prepared to offer a one year deal to?

It's weird.

I always thought that him not extending at Saints would be due to him wanting a 3 yr deal and us only offering two.

But sounds like it will be a short contract at Leicester which makes me wonder if maybe there was more to it? Perhaps we didnt offer anything that was likely to be accepted and maybe wanted him to leave on a free?

Or maybe, despite what he said he was actually quite keen to move.

On 12/05/2021 at 18:18, Badger said:

I suspect Leicester. Has a connection with Rodgers, and if they're in the CL next season it will give opportunity for game time.

On 12/05/2021 at 18:56, Lighthouse said:

Too far to commute, assuming the stories about him still living in Surrey are true. It'll almost certainly be one of the London clubs. 

If it does happen can I claim an ITK point ? Possibly the first one of summer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barsiem said:

I think he probably suspected he was going to become more of a bit part player for us going forward and decided that if he was going to sit on a bench, it might as well be a side pushing for champions league qualification rather than one stuck firmly in midtable boring obscurity.

58 minutes ago, Sideways Jim said:

He will be 3rd choice left back behind James Justin and Luke Thomas, unless the James Justin injury is going to keep him out for a long time

Justin is a right-back isn't he?

So they've got Ricardo Pereira & Castagne competing at right-back. (+ Justin when he returns).

Fuchs is leaving - So they've got Luke Thomas & a new signing to compete at left-back.

Pretty good options compared to us, currently!

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dusic said:

I always thought that him not extending at Saints would be due to him wanting a 3 yr deal and us only offering two.

But sounds like it will be a short contract at Leicester which makes me wonder if maybe there was more to it? Perhaps we didnt offer anything that was likely to be accepted and maybe wanted him to leave on a free?

Or maybe, despite what he said he was actually quite keen to move.

Inglourious Basterds Bingo GIF

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ryan Bertrand