Ryan Bertrand

Saint Garrett

34 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

To be honest he’s played himself out of getting that extra year - if that’s what the dispute is - over the past few months. Always been desperate for him to sign but now, not so much. 

Players in his position drop off fast, unless they are a very defensive fullback. Aside from central midfield, fullback probably covers the most distance and carries out the most sprints per game. His pace is doing OK but stamina will start to go and it is showing with him being much less impactful up the pitch.

12 hours ago, TWar said:

We need two left backs imo. Would be great if Bertrand could be our back up as he could help guide the new lad and would save on a transfer fee. On the other hand I'm not too worried, he shouldn't be a regular starter next season and we have bigger fish to fry than worrying about LB backup when the likes of Salisu can play there if all else fails.

What I think we'll do is sign a new first choice left back, someone ready to come in and start every week. Then the 2nd signing will be cover who can play at RB and LB IMO. Most sensible approach I think, certainly in terms of financials.

No denying he has been a good left back for us, great servant. I'm not too fussed he's going though as I think he is someone we should be looking to evolve from now. We need a KWP style on the left, Bertrand just doesn't have the legs anymore.

Now that it looks almost certain that he's moving on and likely played his last game in a saints shirt, I think a Ryan Bertrand appreciation post is required.

A fantastic servant for us over the years. Came with little fanfare and many on here (including myself) would admit being a little underwhelmed with his signing as a replacement for Shaw. In the years under Koeman he was arguably one of the top 3 LBs in the league in my opinion. Even in the poor Pellegrino and Hughes spells, he was still a solid performer for us and you could see that the club mattered to him.

Never understood the suggestions of him being "lazy" or a "moan". He seems to be a laid back guy, but I never saw that reflected in his performances. Was always committed, gave us a great option on the overlap and very rarely you seen him taken on and beaten by opposing wingers.

He does seem to have lost a yard of pace this last 18 months, but still felt he would be a valuable player for us going forward, particularly if we brought in a younger LB to interchange and take some of the workload off him. The fact that cover at LB hasnt really been a big issue before this season shows how ever reliable hes been. However who can begrudge him seeking out a new challenge as he moves to the later years of his career. Hes been with us 7 years, stuck with us through some sh** years when he could easily have been away to a top 6 club. He deserves a proper send off and hopefully the limited fans in the ground at the end of the season can give him that 👏🏼👏🏼

• Like 22

27 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Now that it looks almost certain that he's moving on and likely played his last game in a saints shirt, I think a Ryan Bertrand appreciation post is required.

100% agreed. I think even those who think it's time to move on from him like myself will say he has been one of our best players in the last decade. Excellent servant, phenomenal player in his prime. Honestly during 2015/16 was one of the best left backs in the league. I hope whatever he does now he succeeds in (as long as it's not at our expense).

• Like 4

Feel a little sad that his time is coming to an end with us. There have been some unsavory comments about him (even one disgraceful comment about him as a cancer) but the reality is he has always come across as a really humble guy who has given us a number of years of service. I was listening to an interview with him and Ings a few weeks ago, and whilst those sort if interviews players are usually giving banter, and a bit braggy, it was noticeable how much credit he was giving his team mates. Not once did he come across as egotistical.

Not only a long service (in this day and age) but also has given us the best years of his career. At one stage he was one of the best left in the league, and certainly the best English left back. He should have been in the 2018 World Cup squad, and frankly it was his association with us that held him back, which has always been the fucked up way of choosing England squads.

He's also locked down the left back position for nearly seven seasons so that we don't have to worry about it, with only recently some doubt about it. That's pretty remarkable which meant we could focus on strengthening other areas of the pitch, which of course have largely fucked up. 

• Like 15

Agree with the recent positive comments re Ryan's time at Saints. From being on the fringes and loaned out in the early part of his career to settling down at Saints and proving the excellent LB is is. 

Gutted he wont be around to help integrate the next players in that position as that is the best possible education for anyone coming in.  However, as others have stated, if he can get 3 years elsewhere then it's a no brainer for him and his family. 

For a change we get to say good bye and good luck to a cracking player for Saints. One for the "once a saint, always a saint" category. 

• Like 1

Has been great for us during his time at the club and up until recently has always put in a shift while being a consistent, committed player we could rely on.

Despite this he seemed rather unappreciated by the fans and never had his name sung.

It's a slightly sad end to his career here and I wish him well at his next club.

• Like 1

If Ryan Bertrand is allowed to slip away it will be one of the worst decisions this club has ever made in the transfer market.

Much emphasis is put on establishing a club 'culture' and Ryan epitomises all that is good about players that fit our ideas of 'culture'. Like JWP and I suspect Stuart Armstrong intelligence, club loyalty and decency are the outstanding hallmarks of his character. His influence on the team and its culture surely go way beyond his performances on the pitch. For the sake of a few quid or months on his contract we will be mad to let him go. We have no adequate back-up and the cost of replacing him probably will massively outweigh any savings made by being hard-nosed in negotiations.

It is well known that he has ambitions beyond playing so surely we can do deal on the basis of him having a player / coach role here as his playing days wind down. Heaven knows some of the coaches that we employ currently as 'coaches' have far less to offer than a player as experienced as Bertie as results would tend to confirm.

If he goes I will be out in Britannia Road with my "Sack the Board!" placard 

Edited by Charlie Wayman

I can see the logic to moving on from Bertrand. Ralph clearly wants dynamic fullbacks like KWp and Bertrand isn't really that anymore. He's been a very good player for us and will probably carry on doing a job in prem for right team in right system for a couple of years.

Furthermore if he's holding out for a long deal and that's why he's rejected the contract offer i can completely understand the club's stance. I felt giving long a 2 year deal was odd and that's come back to bite us. Let's just hope whoever the club buy ends up looking as wise a purchase as Bertrand was.

41 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

If Ryan Bertrand is allowed to slip away it will be one of the worst decisions this club has ever made in the transfer market.

Much emphasis is put on establishing a club 'culture' and Ryan epitomises all that is good about players that fit our ideas of 'culture'. Like JWP and I suspect Stuart Armstrong intelligence, club loyalty and decency are the outstanding hallmarks of his character. His influence on the team and its culture surely go way beyond his performances on the pitch. For the sake of a few quid or months on his contract we will be mad to let him go. We have no adequate back-up and the cost of replacing him probably will massively outweigh any savings made by being hard-nosed in negotiations.

It is well known that he has ambitions beyond playing so surely we can do deal on the basis of him having a player / coach role here as his playing days wind down. Heaven knows some of the coaches that we employ currently as 'coaches' have far less to offer than a player as experienced as Bertie as results would tend to confirm.

If he goes I will be out in Britannia Road with my "Sack the Board!" placard 

How do you know that his influence on the team is a positive one? If it was, and with his experience, I suspect he'd be wearing the captain's armband. The fact that he's not, and that we seem a more committed team without him in it, makes we feel that he's not the best influence. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

How do you know that his influence on the team is a positive one? If it was, and with his experience, I suspect he'd be wearing the captain's armband. The fact that he's not, and that we seem a more committed team without him in it, makes we feel that he's not the best influence. 

So, are the other players apart from JWP bad influences then, on the basis they are not captain?

Btw, I'm agreeing we will be better off playing wise, but just dont see how people know either about his attitude or influence.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

That said, I'm just thinking back, didnt he fall out with Ralph ages ago and barely played? Think it was 2019?

And Puel and Pellegrino (although he was just incompetent).

10 minutes ago, egg said:

As I said in the build up thread, when he’s unhappy, he’s not. 

Not a troublemaker as such, just more like a stroppy teenager. 

He should have left years ago. Very good player for us in his prime in the Koeman years and good servant but hasn’t been at it for years now. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

That said, I'm just thinking back, didnt he fall out with Ralph ages ago and barely played? Think it was 2019?

Finally, someone has remembered, was beginning to think I'd imagined it. He didn't sign up to the Hassenhuttl vision initially, and there was some doubt for a while that he would even be involved. Can't recall the details but eventually he seemed to get on board, but I guess there has always been a bit of a doubt in Ralph's mind about his commitment to the cause (Ralph's way). Clear also with recent news that McQueen was seen as his backup and probably successor, but that all went pear shaped with Sam's unfortunate rehabilitation/recovery. Really not surprised that RB has not signed a new contract, Saints have clearly offered him one based on what they think he is worth which doesn't match up to his own view. His performance level in the last year or so has clearly deteriorated and Saints don't see him as a the answer for next season, they threatened his position this season with their pursuit of Brandon (?) Williams who was never going to come as a backup. He has been a good servant for Saints but he has passed his sell-by date and needs to be replaced. Sorry to see him go in some ways, but we need to find a replacement who will give us more than he does, and that shouldn't be too difficult. I can see us signing 2 LBs this summer, to replace the two that we are probably losing (can't see us renewing Sam's contract sadly). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Finally, someone has remembered, was beginning to think I'd imagined it. He didn't sign up to the Hassenhuttl vision initially, and there was some doubt for a while that he would even be involved. Can't recall the details but eventually he seemed to get on board, but I guess there has always been a bit of a doubt in Ralph's mind about his commitment to the cause (Ralph's way). Clear also with recent news that McQueen was seen as his backup and probably successor, but that all went pear shaped with Sam's unfortunate rehabilitation/recovery. Really not surprised that RB has not signed a new contract, Saints have clearly offered him one based on what they think he is worth which doesn't match up to his own view. His performance level in the last year or so has clearly deteriorated and Saints don't see him as a the answer for next season, they threatened his position this season with their pursuit of Brandon (?) Williams who was never going to come as a backup. He has been a good servant for Saints but he has passed his sell-by date and needs to be replaced. Sorry to see him go in some ways, but we need to find a replacement who will give us more than he does, and that shouldn't be too difficult. I can see us signing 2 LBs this summer, to replace the two that we are probably losing (can't see us renewing Sam's contract sadly). 

Yep, good points.

I think if he goes he will sign 1 LB, with a multi tasker brought in to cover both full back positions it is.

Jack Stephen's it is then!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

So, are the other players apart from JWP bad influences then, on the basis they are not captain?

Btw, I'm agreeing we will be better off playing wise, but just dont see how people know either about his attitude or influence.

Daft point. 

He's our senior player. A champions league finalist. He's the obvious captain, and he was our captain...you don't lose the armband by being the morale booster in the changing room. 

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

I could be wrong, but wasn't it the complete opposite? Didn't he slam down Hughes when Ralph arrived? I remember him posting something like, and I am paraphrasing 'That's how football is meant to be played, clear plan and tactics'

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, egg said:

He's our senior player. A champions league finalist. He's the obvious captain, and he was our captain...you don't lose the armband by being the morale booster in the changing room. 

Add in the fact that the bloke given the captaincy instead is clearly not captain material, something doesn’t add up. Looking from the outside his attitude seems fine when things are going well, but not when we’re up against it or he’s unhappy. Not great behaviour for somebody not playing week in week out, so I would question whether this “keep him as a back up” line is a goer. 

23 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

I could be wrong, but wasn't it the complete opposite? Didn't he slam down Hughes when Ralph arrived? I remember him posting something like, and I am paraphrasing 'That's how football is meant to be played, clear plan and tactics'

My aging memory seems to believe it as a bit of both. I remember the articles when Ralph arrived from Bertrand saying it was nice to have a clear direction at last. The clear implication being that there wasn't one when Hughes et al were here. However, it is possible to dismiss it just as a player trying to get in the good books of a new Manager, so should be taken with a pinch of salt. 

But, I also recall that Ralph didn't seem to totally believe in Bertrand when at the beginning of 2019-20 (following an absence through injury), Djenepo was preferred to Bertrand against Sheffield United and then the following game Danso was chosen again instead of Bertrand .....   These were very odd selections and I think it is fair to say that neither was a success. 

However, since then, Bertrand when fit seems to have been Ralph's first choice, so maybe he changed his mind (probably Danso's performance helped that .......) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Daft point. 

So, is it a daft point cos you said he would be captain, and alluded to him having a bad attitude otherwise he would be captain? okey dokey.

Do you know him, Ralph, any of the players? If so, fair enough as it would be an informed opinion.

We do have other players that have experience - Romeu for one. Is his attitude in Q as he isn’t captain?

Anyhow, i cant be arsed to argue about a player who is likely leaving and why he isn’t our captain, or about his attitude.

I think he has been great for us over the years, but time to move on as I think his legs aren’t what they were, no issues with him on my side.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

So, is it a daft point cos you said he would be captain, and alluded to him having a bad attitude otherwise he would be captain? okey dokey.

Do you know him, Ralph, any of the players? If so, fair enough as it would be an informed opinion.

We do have other players that have experience - Romeu for one. Is his attitude in Q as he isn’t captain?

Anyhow, i cant be arsed to argue about a player who is likely leaving and why he isn’t our captain, or about his attitude.

I think he has been great for us over the years, but time to move on as I think his legs aren’t what they were, no issues with him on my side.

You've overlooked that he lost the captaincy, and lost it for a reason. I'm all ears for explanations as to why hardworking, committed and effective captains lose the captaincy.

Romeu would be good captain material if his first language was English and he didn't spend his time injured or suspended.

4 minutes ago, egg said:

You've overlooked that he lost the captaincy, and lost it for a reason. I'm all ears for explanations as to why hardworking, committed and effective captains lose the captaincy.

Romeu would be good captain material if his first language was English and he didn't spend his time injured or suspended.

3 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Think you may be overlooking stuff fella.

My point, not that I’m trying to get you to change your opinion, is something happened, I thought they fell out, but that doesn’t mean Ryan has a bad attitude - perhaps if he did, he wouldn’t have played so many games as he has, and we wouldn’t have wanted him to sign a new deal.

You are purely speculating his attitude is bad.

3 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

They may have had a falling out but I also remember Ryan posting on social how good it was to have a manager with a proper plan (implying that was not the case under the previous two), so he was at least initially impressed

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

My point, not that I’m trying to get you to change your opinion, is something happened, I thought they fell out, but that doesn’t mean Ryan has a bad attitude - perhaps if he did, he wouldn’t have played so many games as he has, and we wouldn’t have wanted him to sign a new deal.

Someone ITK said that he has a good attitude when things are going well and he believes in the manager, but not at other times

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Someone ITK said that he has a good attitude when things are going well and he believes in the manager, but not at other times

Well, that is possible, it could be he wears frustrated under the utter crap he played in prior to Ralph, under MP2.  

It may be he Q’d Ralphs tactics, got a bollocking, knuckled down, and got on with it, and got back in the team.  

I think that attitude isn’t so bad personally.

6 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Yep, I am speculating that there's an attitude issue. Captains who are playing do not lose the captaincy without reason. If that reason was falling out with the boss and not sorting it out, that hardly shows a great attitude. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, I am speculating that there's an attitude issue. Captains who are playing do not lose the captaincy without reason. If that reason was falling out with the boss and not sorting it out, that hardly shows a great attitude. 

As i stated above this post, if he fell out with Ralph, and battled back into the team, he didnt do that with a piss poor attitude.

But ok, if it makes you feel better, it doesn’t matter who is right or wrong.

Anyhow, have this one on me 😉

• Like 1

As i stated above this post, if he fell out with Ralph, and battled back into the team, he didnt do that with a piss poor attitude.

But ok, if it makes you feel better, it doesn’t matter who is right or wrong.

Anyhow, have this one on me 😉

Ever decreasing circles...enjoy your weekend. 

25 minutes ago, egg said:

Do we know he lost the captaincy? Did he just not get it back after coming back from an injury? Or maybe he simply didn't want the extra off-field responsibility such as interviews/marketing etc that goes with the role.

3 hours ago, egg said:

Honestly, it is pretty daft speculation unless you have something a bit more tangible to back it up. Bertrand always strikes me as someone pretty softly spoken and quite introverted actually. He may have put his hand up for the captaincy as no one else did and he felt a responsibility as a senior player to do, and did so for the sake of the team. If that were the case, then it demonstrates a good attitude that he was willing to put himself in a position of discomfort for the sake of the side.

Both options are equally valid as they have no evidence either way. What I will say say is that in his interviews he always comes across as humble and willing to give credit to the side, other players, and deflect praise from himself. He has also played nearly every game in seven seasons where he has not been injured

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

Honestly, it is pretty daft speculation unless you have something a bit more tangible to back it up. Bertrand always strikes me as someone pretty softly spoken and quite introverted actually. He may have put his hand up for the captaincy as no one else did and he felt a responsibility as a senior player to do, and did so for the sake of the team. If that were the case, then it demonstrates a good attitude that he was willing to put himself in a position of discomfort for the sake of the side.

Both options are equally valid as they have no evidence either way. What I will say say is that in his interviews he always comes across as humble and willing to give credit to the side, other players, and deflect praise from himself. He has also played nearly every game in seven seasons where he has not been injured

Some on here don't like him so are trying to justify it, no matter how speculative.

He has always had that demeanour and because of the contract situation these people want to make it to be more than it actually is.

He's been a good professional and very good for us and deserves some respect.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Chapel End said:

Some on here don't like him so are trying to justify it, no matter how speculative.

He has always had that demeanour and because of the contract situation these people want to make it to be more than it actually is.

Exactly this. 

52 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

I have no issue with people having a different opinion to me, but I take issue with the suggestion that I'm trying to justify an opinion and/or being disrespectful. 

What I've seen for a long time is a declining player, both performance and demeanour wise. You may see his loss of captaincy as coincidental to that, I don't. 

That he's been a loyal servant is without question, but it's not disrespectful to have the opinion that he's gone off the boil. 

We'll have to agree to differ. 

4 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

They may have had a falling out but I also remember Ryan posting on social how good it was to have a manager with a proper plan (implying that was not the case under the previous two), so he was at least initially impressed

I don't think (don't know) they ever had a falling out, and yes RB did praise Ralph for having a plan, unlike his predecessor. But when Ralph came in he made PEH Captain, and RB was certainly on the fringes for a while, at the same time that Ralph marginalised other players like Cedric, Boufal, probably Hoedt and one or two others who weren't on board with the plan/Ralph's way of doing things. It was all about the same time that RB was dropped by England, which may have been injury related. It took a little while before RB was reintegrated into the squad. At least that's how I remember it, but the old memory is not what it was, and I can't be arsed to trawl back through the archives. Don't really have an axe to grind with Bertrand merely trying to justify why things are not turning out as he and some of his fans on here would wish.

25 minutes ago, egg said:

I have no issue with people having a different opinion to me, but I take issue with the suggestion that I'm trying to justify an opinion and/or being disrespectful. 

What I've seen for a long time is a declining player, both performance and demeanour wise. You may see his loss of captaincy as coincidental to that, I don't. 

That he's been a loyal servant is without question, but it's not disrespectful to have the opinion that he's gone off the boil. 

Yes we will agree to differ. 

34 minutes ago, egg said:

But hang on, you said originally he had a shit attitude, that's why he lost the captaincy. 

Now you're saying its also declining performance.

I'm with you on his performance had gone noticeably downhill, and I only Qd the attitude peice which was so subjective. That was what I disagreed with, and not that hes gone off the boil, think maybe you didnt quite explain that bit earlier, maybe I missed it 👍

To be fair in the last three games we have looked tighter at the back when he hasn't been playing. Both Salisu and Stephens have surprisingly done ok at left back. And i dont notice much difference in our attacking play down the left side either. 

He's been a great signing for us, if this is the end its a pity but he hasn't looked on his game the past couple of months. 

19 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

Think there's been an issue between RB and RH from early days.  There were a couple of times when he was injured, returned back to training but was still left out by RH for unspecified reasons for a number of games.

When was that? Looking through RB history since Ralph joined. He was injured when Ralph came in, having missed the two previous matches with injury before Ralph had even come in. I guess maybe then, but also hard to know as it was probably just a genuine injury. Bertrand had previously pulled out of an England squad with a back injury so probably more likely he had been playing most of the season with a problem. 

Since then Bertrand has pretty much played every game for Ralph until the last few games. 

On 09/05/2021 at 09:58, beatlesaint said:

To be fair in the last three games we have looked tighter at the back when he hasn't been playing. Both Salisu and Stephens have surprisingly done ok at left back. And i dont notice much difference in our attacking play down the left side either. 

He's been a great signing for us, if this is the end its a pity but he hasn't looked on his game the past couple of months. 

Neither of them offer anything going forward though. Although he hasn’t been the same threat as he used to be, at least he supports attacks down the left hand side. Most of our goals are conceded down the right flank.

Time to move on. Has seemingly been playing at 70% effort for about two years. Need to unearth a new gem and get as much for him as possible from Chelsea or whoever wants a good back up

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ryan Bertrand