• Bertrand
    • JWP
    • Romeu
    • Armstrong
    • Djenepo
    • Adams
    • Walcott

4 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Was that Theo miss really a 'miss' or just a good chance not taken. I mean Patrício is a good keeper, he was set quickly and his positioning was good, he had both posts covered. Yes Theo connected badly, but he did what most strikers would do and went for the rear post. Maybe hard and high would have been better. Didn't Ings fail with a similar one last season.

If he had missed his first that would have been a miss but was his second any more of a miss than Armstrong's.

He had an eternity and should have scored imo. 

Surprised by some of the criticism of Djenepo - thought he was excellent. Worked really hard to sprint and close down Traore quickly and help out Bertrand. He also shows good vision for a 'tricky winger' - he played a nice ball in the lead up to the goal, as well as setting Che up for a good chance with a beautifully weighted pass after cutting inside a couple of defenders.

I think he's really playing for the team at the moment and provides enough flashes of inspiration to justify his selection.

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, vin said:

Surprised by some of the criticism of Djenepo - thought he was excellent. Worked really hard to sprint and close down Traore quickly and help out Bertrand. He also shows good vision for a 'tricky winger' - he played a nice ball in the lead up to the goal, as well as setting Che up for a good chance with a beautifully weighted pass after cutting inside a couple of defenders.

I think he's really playing for the team at the moment and provides enough flashes of inspiration to justify his selection.

I agree.

11 minutes ago, egg said:

He had an eternity and should have scored imo. 

And that gives the keeper time to set themselves properly. One on one with a keeper is a battle that the striker won't always win. The advantage is with the striker but good keepers will save loads or force the striker to miss.

15 minutes ago, vin said:

This. 

I'm pretty convinced that Djenepo is under strict orders from Ralph, in games like this, to double up with our full-back in order to snuff out the opposition's main striking threat.

Indeed, in Walcott's post match interview he gave particular mention to Bertie and Djenepo 'doing a job' on Traoré, so it all sounds pre-meditated for Djenepo to play more defensively, to me. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

I thought Armstrong was not up to his usual standard. Disappointed with his miss that really should have gone in and the way he got caught for their goal.

If Wolves had scored first, and it did look like they would,  I can't see that we would have got back into the game as they are an upgrade on Burnley defensive wise.

17 minutes ago, trousers said:

This. 

I'm pretty convinced that Djenepo is under strict orders from Ralph, in games like this, to double up with our full-back in order to snuff out the opposition's main striking threat.

Indeed, in Walcott's post match interview he gave particular mention to Bertie and Djenepo 'doing a job' on Traoré, so it all sounds pre-meditated for Djenepo to play more defensively, to me. 

Why not  play a defender then e.g Stevens

7 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Why not  play a defender then e.g Stevens

If we used Stevens instead of Djenepo/Walcott it reduces the attacking threat Saints have and would require a change in formation or shoehorning a player to a position he isn't natural in. It worked fine with Bertrand and Djenepo working together on the left.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I thought Armstrong was not up to his usual standard. Disappointed with his miss that really should have gone in and the way he got caught for their goal.

If Wolves had scored first, and it did look like they would,  I can't see that we would have got back into the game as they are an upgrade on Burnley defensive wise.

I thought that Saints were looking a little leaden footed in the second half. I also think that Wolves tactics in the first half is to defend and aim to tire oppositions. A match of two halves and a draw was a good result in the end. 

• Like 1

Delighted with a point, Walcott missed a good opportunity but so did they - finishing isn’t his strongest point and we know that. Energy levels had dipped and Wolves gamble on taking a def out for a mid worked in killing our game plan of fwd passing down the middle - I thought we coped well with that and intelligently tried to go wide more given how good they are on the counter. I agree with some of the comments on Long - it’s been a while since I’ve seen him have any effect on a game as sub. For me we either need someone to hold the ball up and draw fouls (protecting a lead) or provide something a bit different (chasing a game) and what we generally get is him running around a lot with the game passing him by. My worry is that we are asking him to do a job he can’t do and it may be better to throw a youngster on instead with him being an influence in training / role model on professionalism.

Agree with all/most of your comments. It seemed to have a planned defensive performance. Djenepo and Bertie doing a defensive job on Traore. Came for a point. Used game management to stifle and contain Wolves. A pleasant surprise to go a goal up, but that was a red rag to a bull and Wolves stepped it up.

Yeah, would have been nice to see Theo take that second chance; believe Ings or Adams would have scored. But I'm very pro-Theo so can't grumble too long.

Was surprised to hear the commentator refer to Ralph giving the players 4 days off. Nice for them, but would account for tired legs.

Looking ahead to Man Utd, they are starting to click but can be beaten if we set the tone. We need to be on the front foot, which we weren't last night.

3 hours ago, vin said:

Agreed

Here are some stats for last season:

Redmond 2768 minutes:

4 assists

4 goals

Armstrong 1713 minutes:

3 assists 

5 goals

Djenepo 926 minutes:

2 assists

3 goals

Will leave you to do the maths.

Play Djenepo.

• Like 1

I’ve been really impressed with Djenepo’s commitment to the team the last two games. He has sacrificed his desire to go forward with a willingness to help out and double up on the most dangerous attacker. Saint-Maximan and Traore both did little damage in either game, when in the past they’ve scored or caused real problems. Add to that him putting a great pass in to Adams that led to the goal, he more than played his part. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

If we used Stevens instead of Djenepo/Walcott it reduces the attacking threat Saints have and would require a change in formation or shoehorning a player to a position he isn't natural in. It worked fine with Bertrand and Djenepo working together on the left.

Moussa playing as an extra full back meant he was out of position most of the time - also reducing the attacking threat when he was doubling up on Traorae

2 hours ago, Avenue_Saint said:

Agreed

Here are some stats for last season:

Redmond 2768 minutes:

4 assists

4 goals

Armstrong 1713 minutes:

3 assists 

5 goals

Djenepo 926 minutes:

2 assists

3 goals

Will leave you to do the maths.

Play Djenepo.

As ever stats don't tell the whole story. I thought Armstrong was good last night, and Djenepo kept getting caught or misplacing passes almost as badly as Redmond does. Armstrong was creative and strong off the ball, and presented a real threat. Sure, he got caught for their goal, but that was one dark spot. Personally I would cash in on Redmond this coming transfer window, and wondered when we heard he had a knock whether it was in fact him sulking about not getting picked again. But who knows. He distorts the way we play, which is about ball retention and re-transitioning quickly. He gives it away too much and dribbles down alleys. Anyone agree?

Just now, DT said:

As ever stats don't tell the whole story. I thought Armstrong was good last night, and Djenepo kept getting caught or misplacing passes almost as badly as Redmond does. Armstrong was creative and strong off the ball, and presented a real threat. Sure, he got caught for their goal, but that was one dark spot. Personally I would cash in on Redmond this coming transfer window, and wondered when we heard he had a knock whether it was in fact him sulking about not getting picked again. But who knows. He distorts the way we play, which is about ball retention and re-transitioning quickly. He gives it away too much and dribbles down alleys. Anyone agree?

Having said all of this I am so pleased about how we are turning out at the moment. Great team cohesion and unity, which is half the battle. Well done Ralph.

9 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Who's this bloke "Stevens," MLG?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, saintwbu said:

I’ve been really impressed with Djenepo’s commitment to the team the last two games. He has sacrificed his desire to go forward with a willingness to help out and double up on the most dangerous attacker. Saint-Maximan and Traore both did little damage in either game, when in the past they’ve scored or caused real problems. Add to that him putting a great pass in to Adams that led to the goal, he more than played his part. 

Could not agree more, SMH.

13 hours ago, OldNick said:

Not the first time Armstrong has been caught in possession leading to a goal, Ralph should drum into him this isn't the SPL where you can lose the ball without consequences 😡

8 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

Not the first time Armstrong has been caught in possession leading to a goal, Ralph should drum into him this isn't the SPL where you can lose the ball without consequences 😡

Yes, like many, I like Armstrong , he is a powerful, direct runner and creates chances in attacking positions - but he can be sloppy in possession; and lose the ball leading to costly turnovers.  In that respect he reminds me of Boufal....who received a lot of criticism because of that.

Yes, I like him too but the moment that turnover occurred I thought 'oh no', and these incidents do colour your views. Just a bit too ambitious in the wrong place, but it's not a fundamental weakness.

The fact that many of us are both happy and disappointed with the draw does indicate progress is being made!

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

Yes, I like him too but the moment that turnover occurred I thought 'oh no', and these incidents do colour your views. Just a bit too ambitious in the wrong place, but it's not a fundamental weakness.

The fact that many of us are both happy and disappointed with the draw does indicate progress is being made!

Armstrong should be banned from crossing into his own third, where he can be a bit of a liability!

Ahead of that, though, he is bloody useful. Great player.

On 23/11/2020 at 22:36, Colinjb said:

Yeah, Djenny seemed utterly resistant to running at his opponent...... But that's what he does..... Maybe an instruction to play it safe?

And Alex was on fire.

I have the imprression that Djenapo is doing what he is being asked to do but it stifles his natural instinct to run with the ball at opponents. Perhaps he is is still coming to terms with the balance between defence and attack

On 24/11/2020 at 11:33, Matthew Le God said:

*Stephens