Saints vs Man Utd - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Just now, trousers said:

What are the odds on a Utd victory right now? #insurancebet

A filthy forlorn figure in a putrid Govan bedsit counts the last of his change...”come on United...it never used to be this hard...” he mutters as he reaches for his bin liner to help keep the Glasgow chill off of him... 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Every replay I’ve seen looks worse and worse. Incredible that he wasn’t killed.

Agreed, he's a lucky lucky man. Think the car splitting in half was a god send. Switched the saints stream from my phone to the telly just as jwp whipped the second goal in, lovely! 

First goal was absolutely crucial, they were all over us until that and they've completely dropped off since.

I predict they will do the same second half - all out intensity for the first 15-20 minutes, then get too tired.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of subs from United at half time.

Pleased with that. I would say we have played better as the half has gone on - the goals have definitely given us the confidence to do well and Man Utd have grown deflated as they have fallen behind.

More specifically in terms of performance, some players have been on it more than others. Walcott, Romeu and KWP are all having great performances, whereas Armstrong's performance has been more mixed - though it has got better as the half has gone on. In the early part of the half some of his passing was not great.

I also think Djeneppo has also been good - and increasingly so as the half has gone on.

Finally, Ward-Prowse has clearly been the star with such brilliant set-pieces. He seems to be getting better and better in that regard!

Mad game. We've been slack, accident prone, almost conceded twice from catastrophic defensive mistakes, and yet if Armstrong (who has been terrible) hadn't missed a sitter this match would be over. 

Can't help but think about the Wolves game last season where we were fortunate to be 2-0 at half time and got marmalised in the second half. 

Hope the manager gets them refocused. Second yellow for Prowse wouldn't be too clever.

Come on, Saints.

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

Wow. Replay shows it was a triple save.

Yeah think I saw it come off his elbow after the second save which knocked it safe. Fantastic even if it were his fault. Niemi-esque like Antti’s against Arsenal.

United have another gear, insurance bet going on as it would otherwise be a fantastic win for us.

Just now, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I also think Djeneppo has also been good - and increasingly so as the half has gone on.

He has unlocked the United defence 2-3 times. The incoming players need to do a bit more to give him the easy pass for a tap in.

Come on Saints, hold onnnnn

• Like 1

Typical stream commentary whenever a glory team is playing us, particularly United; when they were on top the commentary was all them. Naturally our goal was against the run of play, fair enough, but then gradually it grew more to praise how we were playing and how we were gaining more possession and looking more dangerous. Then when Ward-Prowse struck his incredible free kick, and we were playing really well after our confidence boost, it became a case of saying that get a goal back and United could be back in it. Also out came the statistics about how many times we/them have gone on to win/come back to win/draw from a two goal deficit.

If we manage to hold on to a win, or increase our goals, it will normally said that United played poorly, rather than we played well, but the way that we have played recently is changing the punditry towards what a difficult team we have become to defeat.

9 minutes ago, hackedoff said:

Just need to stop the needless,relentless back passing and keep 11 men on the pitch.

It's far from needless. Pass it back and keep the ball, or hoof it long and lose the ball. 

Edited by egg