Danny Ings

sisi1992

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Jesus! Ings isn’t even top 5. He’s probably the worst Danny we’ve ever had!

inb4 MLG gets his stats and gifs in order...

And we haven’t even mentioned our best two Danny Wallace and Dani Rodrigues, he was our young hungry and guaranteed to improve signing in the 1999 transfer window 

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Little fat balding cripple. Just a midget from netley that got lucky. He’ll get found out 

Yeah, chancer! Couple of lucky goals here and there, set for life. Doesn’t seem fair to real talent like Reddy Redders Redmond . He couldn’t even cut it as cheerleader/ mascot , had to get Theo in for that ffs!

Edited by Toussaint

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Yeah, chancer! Couple of lucky goals here and there, set for life. Doesn’t seem fair to real talent like Reddy Redders Redmond . He couldn’t even cut it as cheerleader/ mascot , had to get Theo in for that ffs!

Redders is a proper club man and rarely injured Not like that balding cripple Shithouse. Everytime he laughs he probably cracks a rib, few taps ins like Ings got for us and Adam Armstrong will Show he’s much better. 

• 4 weeks later...

On Football Focus now. Even though lots of people have said it before, I think today is the first time I've actually ever heard him describe Saints as "his boyhood club" and "his team" etc.

Probably not particularly interesting to most, but think I've seen a few people on here denying that it's the case...

3 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

On Football Focus now. Even though lots of people have said it before, I think today is the first time I've actually ever heard him describe Saints as "his boyhood club" and "his team" etc.

Probably not particularly interesting to most, but think I've seen a few people on here denying that it's the case...

Thanks. Interesting but just goes to show money is what matters to most modern footballers - his team/boyhood club offers him the best deal the club have ever offered to anyone and he still moves to an arguably slightly better club (not top 6) for a few dollars more.

Not sure he's a great loss so far - he hasn't really been on fire for Villa and would we have done better with him - not sure?

18 hours ago, Red said:

Thanks. Interesting but just goes to show money is what matters to most modern footballers - his team/boyhood club offers him the best deal the club have ever offered to anyone and he still moves to an arguably slightly better club (not top 6) for a few dollars more.

Not sure he's a great loss so far - he hasn't really been on fire for Villa and would we have done better with him - not sure?

It's always been this way, players have always played for the best wages.

He had a nice assist yesterday.

On 18/09/2021 at 12:28, Red said:

Most people, if they're being honest, would take a job that offers 20% + more pay, especially if it's probably their last job before retiring. In Ings case, that 20% is about £1m a year. 

He's been good for them, and he's a big loss for us. We'd have a couple of wins on the board if we had Ings rather than Armstrong. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Apparently injured but don’t know how bad just been told in a group chat by a Villa fan .. possibly reoccurrence of his knee injury.

That's a damn shame. I don't like how he left but he is so talented, it's sad to see his career so hampered by injury. 

6 hours ago, egg said:

Most people, if they're being honest, would take a job that offers 20% + more pay, especially if it's probably their last job before retiring. In Ings case, that 20% is about £1m a year. 

He's been good for them, and he's a big loss for us. We'd have a couple of wins on the board if we had Ings rather than Armstrong. 

Pure conjecture. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm not sure what Valery/Perraud / Livramento have to do with my point that Ings is a better player Than Armstrong. 

Because we can only afford those other players thanks to selling Ings and Vest to raise funds. We did have Ings last season and we didn’t win any of these fixtures.

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Because we can only afford those other players thanks to selling Ings and Vest to raise funds. We did have Ings last season and we didn’t win any of these fixtures.

Well using Valery is a poor comparison as he would never have been a starter for us. 

The fact we needed to sell 1 or 2 of our best players to buy 2 full backs which cost a combined fee of c.15m is an absolute shambles, to start. 

But it doesn’t really have any relevance to Eggs point that Ings would have almost certainly put the chances Armstrong hasn’t, away. 

• Like 2

The point is that if we hadn’t sold Ings, we wouldn’t have signed the players to create those chances, so it’s a moot point. That and the fact we’d have likely conceded enough goals that a couple of extra from Ings wouldn’t have helped. In these fixtures last season we either conceded 3+ goals or failed to score ourselves.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

Well using Valery is a poor comparison as he would never have been a starter for us. 

The fact we needed to sell 1 or 2 of our best players to buy 2 full backs which cost a combined fee of c.15m is an absolute shambles, to start. 

But it doesn’t really have any relevance to Eggs point that Ings would have almost certainly put the chances Armstrong hasn’t, away. 

Wrong (as usual). 

Ings might have scored one or two goals more than Arma has if he were still here, he might not have. He equally may have picked up an injury in the first match and not featured since. We will never know.

As Lighthouse quite rightly stated without the money we got for him (and Vest) we wouldn't have been able to bulk out our squad as we have. And no, it is not an 'absolute shambles' that we bought 2 (1 potentially very good, 1 so far decent) fullbacks for the fee we received for an average (during the most of his spell with us) CB. That is good business. With the money from Ings we brought in his younger replacement (who could likely do better with us over the spell he is here than Ings may have done had he stayed - not as good yet, but offers more years and potentially many more matches), 1 x CB (not ready yet, but Salisu is proving a far better player than Vest has ever been - so Lyanco doesn't need to be there yet), 1 x CB for the future (Simeu) and 1 x (very promising/highly rated - Small) LB for the future.

We are not a big club with a wealthy owner. Get over it!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, egg said:

To an extent, yes, but I've yet to meet anyone who believes Armstrong has done better for us than Ings would have done. 

Trouble is the Ings people use as a yardstick is the fit and firing on all cylinders one from his good spell, mainly 2020 prior to injury. Not sure from his early days with us, or the often injured/coming back from injury Ings, or the 'going through the motions' at the end of last season version would offer significantly better, or enough to turn down £25/30m.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Trouble is the Ings people use as a yardstick is the fit and firing on all cylinders one from his good spell, mainly 2020 prior to injury. Not sure from his early days with us, or the often injured/coming back from injury Ings, or the 'going through the motions' at the end of last season version would offer significantly better, or enough to turn down £25/30m.

I've made a very simple point that I feel we would have won a couple of games if we had Ings (as he's played this season) rather than Armstrong. We've had responses about signing full backs and now querying which version of Ings we'd be comparing to, and speculating that he may have got injured!! 

It's really simple. Ings is better than Armstrong. I think he'd have taken chances that Armstrong hasn't and we'd have won as a result. 

Some people will argue for the sake of arguing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Spot on. Let's wait until the end of the season to see if Arma matches the 11 goals of Ings (not including penalties) last season.....

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I've made a very simple point that I feel we would have won a couple of games if we had Ings (as he's played this season) rather than Armstrong. We've had responses about signing full backs and now querying which version of Ings we'd be comparing to, and speculating that he may have got injured!! 

It's really simple. Ings is better than Armstrong. I think he'd have taken chances that Armstrong hasn't and we'd have won as a result. 

Some people will argue for the sake of arguing. 

Which chances in particular?

Not arguing for the sake of it. Just stating that yours is simply an opinion which cannot be backed up or proved in any manner whatsoever. 

Yes, an on form Ings is better than a current day Armstrong. No one will disagree with that. However, surely you can see the point that if we hadn't sold Ings (i.e. he were still here) we wouldn't have bought other players. Therefore, it would be an entirely different team out on the pitch. Therefore, the chances may not have existed in the first place.

As I said, pure conjecture.

You have a habit, although not as bad as SKDman, of always trying to put the club down. Don't get upset when others point out the errors in your thought process.

Just now, Minsk said:

Which chances in particular?

Not arguing for the sake of it. Just stating that yours is simply an opinion which cannot be backed up or proved in any manner whatsoever. 

Yes, an on form Ings is better than a current day Armstrong. No one will disagree with that. However, surely you can see the point that if we hadn't sold Ings (i.e. he were still here) we wouldn't have bought other players. Therefore, it would be an entirely different team out on the pitch. Therefore, the chances may not have existed in the first place.

As I said, pure conjecture.

You have a habit, although not as bad as SKDman, of always trying to put the club down. Don't get upset when others point out the errors in your thought process.

Of course it's an opinion, 90% of the nonsense posted on here is opinion. 

I'm not putting the club down. I've said that Ings is better than Armstrong, which he is. If you disagree, you're in a tiny minority. 

You're being contrary for the sake of it. 

• Confused 1

Who is saying that Armstrong is better than Ings? I think no one.

Equally, why the fuck people are offering up the idea that Ings is currently a better player than Adam Armstrong as some kind of killer insight is equally baffling.

Obviously he is, I'm lost as to what the debate is.

What's the next topic, if only we had Van Dijk instead of Stephens?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Who is saying that Armstrong is better than Ings? I think no one.

Equally, why the fuck people are offering up the idea that Ings is currently a better player than Adam Armstrong as some kind of killer insight is equally baffling.

Obviously he is, I'm lost as to what the debate is.

What's the next topic, if only we had Van Dijk instead of Stephens?

Simple point - I think Ings is a loss for us, and that he would have put away chances that Armstrong hasn't, and that we'd have won a couple of games as a consequence. Various points in response. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Simple point - I think Ings is a loss for us, and that he would have put away chances that Armstrong hasn't, and that we'd have won a couple of games as a consequence. Various points in response. 

If we’re going that simplistic then yes, I agree. However, that’s as generic as saying if we’d collected all our best players from recent history into one squad we’d be a better team, which is obvious.

You are right in a literal sense but it’s still a moot point. Rather like saying we’d have won the league in 2016 if we had Pelle, Mané, Tadic, Pahars, Niemi and Lallana.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

If we’re going that simplistic then yes, I agree. However, that’s as generic as saying if we’d collected all our best players from recent history into one squad we’d be a better team, which is obvious.

You are right in a literal sense but it’s still a moot point. Rather like saying we’d have won the league in 2016 if we had Pelle, Mané, Tadic, Pahars, Niemi and Lallana.

You had a bad day mate?! Yes, I am being that simplistic - it's a very simple point that Ings would have (imo) taken chances that Armstrong hasn't. Responses have gone off at all sorts of tangents, and you've now gone back 5 years. 

It's no crime to agree with someone, which we've established you do after numerous responses. 

Ings being viewed as a little more perfect than he was. Everyone misses chances. I reckon ings won't score more than 5 more goals in the league than Armstrong given his injury risk (putting myself out there a bit!). Next season when ings is 30 and Armstrong is still 25 I back Armstrong to surpass him. Season after that Armstrong will be in his prime and Ings will be close to retirement based on his injury record.

We are having a transitional year with a bunch of young lads developing so buying longer term is smart. Swapping ings for Armstrong plus £15m in a years time will be excellent business imo. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

I'm not putting the club down. I've said that Ings is better than Armstrong, which he is. If you disagree, you're in a tiny minority. 

Please point out where I have said that Armstrong is better than Ings. I said the exact opposite in the post you quoted. Let help you by quoting exactly what I wrote: With the money from Ings we brought in his younger replacement (who could likely do better with us over the spell he is here than Ings may have done had he stayed - not as good yet, but offers more years and potentially many more matches). I have even put the important bit in bold for you. Simple enough?

Once again, I am not being contrary (or argumentative) for the sake of it. I have merely pointed out a very simplistic concept: us still having Ings would have meant we don't have other players in our squad. That should be simple enough even for you to understand. Therefore, your statement of 'We'd have a couple of wins on the board if we had Ings rather than Armstrong' IS pure conjecture - as we have no idea who else would be in our squad. As others have said, maybe keeping Ings we would have played a weaker defence and conceded more. So Ings scoring 1 might have meant we lost matches that we have drawn because we conceded 2 more. All conjecture. Sorry if my saying it upsets you.

That said, I still believe it is very conceivable for Arma to match the 11 goals scored from open play that Ings achieved last season.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for you to state exactly which chances Armstrong missed that Ings DEFINITELY would have scored. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Please point out where I have said that Armstrong is better than Ings. I said the exact opposite in the post you quoted. Let help you by quoting exactly what I wrote: With the money from Ings we brought in his younger replacement (who could likely do better with us over the spell he is here than Ings may have done had he stayed - not as good yet, but offers more years and potentially many more matches). I have even put the important bit in bold for you. Simple enough?

Once again, I am not being contrary (or argumentative) for the sake of it. I have merely pointed out a very simplistic concept: us still having Ings would have meant we don't have other players in our squad. That should be simple enough even for you to understand. Therefore, your statement of 'We'd have a couple of wins on the board if we had Ings rather than Armstrong' IS pure conjecture - as we have no idea who else would be in our squad. As others have said, maybe keeping Ings we would have played a weaker defence and conceded more. So Ings scoring 1 might have meant we lost matches that we have drawn because we conceded 2 more. All conjecture. Sorry if my saying it upsets you.

That said, I still believe it is very conceivable for Arma to match the 11 goals scored from open play that Ings achieved last season.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for you to state exactly which chances Armstrong missed that Ings DEFINITELY would have scored. 

I'm not sure why you keep insisting that Armstrong is better than Ings.  Practically no one agrees with that.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, egg said:

Armstrong needs to get a few more games under his belt yet before he is judged imo. Plus it seems that more attention has been given to firming up our back line and not shipping goals like last season rightly so, but that means a trade off with our attack. Once we get a balance I think he will start knocking some in. 

3 hours ago, egg said:

It’s pretty obvious to all but a few mentalists that Ings would have scored a couple of the changes Armstrong has had and possibly won games for us. Although given our abject ability to hold onto leads I’m not sure we’d have won those games. However I like the look of Armstrong and I like what Ralph is building. Adams and Armstrong won’t be the most prolific pair but they’ll cause teams problems, confident they’ll get c10 goals each this season provide Ralph doesn’t do made things like drop adams for redmond which is pointless

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings