Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

50 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It isn't clear at all, we don't know what they've done regarding Armstrong.

On 16/07/2021 at 22:32, Matthew Le God said:

Why is it impossible to see it? The club has already apparently bid twice for Armstrong with Ings still at the club. Had one of them been accepted we'd have both Armstrong and Ings at the club at the same time.

Forward it on to this guy as well I reckon.

Premier League Football GIF by Southampton FC

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

It isn't particularly realistic to add another striker to a list of Ings, Adams, Tella, Obafemi (with Redmond and Walcott also used as strikers if needed).

Tella and Obafemi are effective enough to be 3rd and 4th choice strikers. Another striker is only really needed if Ings is sold.

Saints don't have much in the way of cash this summer, so any cash they do have needs to be focused on improving depth in central midfield and fullbacks. An injury in either of those positions and Saints are screwed.

But really tella and obafemi are pretty much just youth players who have been blooded a little.. having them as back up to our first two strikers when we play two up front is not much differant from having say Vokins or Ramsey coveting Bertrand and kwp last year.. its very risky even though I do like tella

12 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

But really tella and obafemi are pretty much just youth players who have been blooded a little.. having them as back up to our first two strikers when we play two up front is not much differant from having say Vokins or Ramsey coveting Bertrand and kwp last year.. its very risky even though I do like tella

It is not remotely comparable to that. Both Obafemi and particularly Tella have shown they are capable of performing at Premier League level. They both have significantly more gametime in the PL than Vokins and Ramsey. 

Vokins and Ramsey are currently League One standard players. A long way below where Obafemi and Tella are in their development.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The caveat is the use of the word apparently.  That doesn't make it a contradiction. 

If that makes you happy, sure. 
you make some valid contributions on here most the time, just at others you’re like a dog with a bone and it is very tiresome. 

it  is ok to be wrong, or to put it another way, to not always be right. 

just sometimes, cant you just let shit go?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

18 and 32 first team appearances, 21 and 22 years of age. At what point do they become first team players. 32 first team games (and full international cap) is hardly "blooded a little". 

12 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

We're a club that relies on young players to back up the first team. The whole reason Simeu joined us from Chelsea is because there is a pathway to the first team here. As long as we have two or three 'senior' players for each two positions (Str, Am, Cm, CB, RB, LB) then we should absolutely be using the better of the young talent to pad the squad. (Tella, Obafemi,  Smallbone, Watts, Chauke, Simeu,  Valery and maybe even Ferry could all see game time this season.)

Yes it's risky but it is what a club with our finances and ethos do. And perhaps it is the reason we can pilfer young players from top 6 academies going forward.

Don't forget Obafemi's decent goal against Chelsea a couple of seasons back. I still think he has something to offer as a back up striker.

11 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

18 and 32 first team appearances, 21 and 22 years of age. At what point do they become first team players. 32 first team games (and full international cap) is hardly "blooded a little". 

How many of those appearences  where starts ?..  if you wanna go with those appearances as proven though that adds up to 5 goals between them in 50 appearances, does that fill you with confidence If say ings got crocked for the season?

smallbone has 12 appearances would you want him as the main back up to jwp and romeau ?

lets be honest we don’t really know ourselves if tella and obafemi are up to it yet.. tella does look very quick and something differant but maybe more suited to being a winger/10 and obafemi finishing wise does not look great and was out of favour for the majority of last season and looked set to leave to a lower level 

6 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

We're a club that relies on young players to back up the first team. The whole reason Simeu joined us from Chelsea is because there is a pathway to the first team here. As long as we have two or three 'senior' players for each two positions (Str, Am, Cm, CB, RB, LB) then we should absolutely be using the better of the young talent to pad the squad. (Tella, Obafemi,  Smallbone, Watts, Chauke, Simeu,  Valery and maybe even Ferry could all see game time this season.)

Yes it's risky but it is what a club with our finances and ethos do. And perhaps it is the reason we can pilfer young players from top 6 academies going forward.

Don't forget Obafemi's decent goal against Chelsea a couple of seasons back. I still think he has something to offer as a back up striker.

Don’t forget about Olaigbe, a huge talent!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

How many of those appearences  where starts ?..  if you wanna go with those appearances as proven though that adds up to 5 goals between them in 50 appearances, does that fill you with confidence If say ings got crocked for the season?

smallbone has 12 appearances would you want him as the main back up to jwp and romeau ?

lets be honest we don’t really know ourselves if tella and obafemi are up to it yet.. tella does look very quick and something differant but maybe more suited to being a winger/10 and obafemi finishing wise does not look great and was out of favour for the majority of last season and looked set to leave to a lower level 

I see it differently with these 3 players. I see the first two, Obefami and Tella, as players who are learning their craft, and showing improvement all the time. If you want the finished object, do as Manchester United did, and import a Cavani, or a Fernandez. You'll have to pay them, though.....

As for Smallbone, it was a shame he was injured when he was. He looked to me to be someone who was 'getting it' pretty quickly.

Personally, I get a lot more satisfaction, and feel a lot more involved, when the club are able to introduce players who have come up through the ranks. Give 'em a bit of support!

• Like 3

Got a tweet this morning saying Vestergaard had held talks with Spurs, and may still go there if other signings don't come off. £25m was mentioned. Think it was the Mail, original source. Should take that if true.

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Got a tweet this morning saying Vestergaard had held talks with Spurs, and may still go there if other signings don't come off. £25m was mentioned. Think it was the Mail, original source. Should take that if true.

Should have taken Toby as part of the deal seeing he went for 3M.

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So apparently we’re after a full back, centre back and defensive midfielder. No mention of a striker or wide attacker 

We will obviously replace Ings when he goes.

But wide attacker we have Armstrong, Redmond, Walcott, Djenepo, Tella and Elyounoussi who play there plus even Smallbone when he is fit again.

Not saying we shouldn't target that position but we would surely need to let two of those go first? Personally I don't think Elyounoussi deserves another chance, nothing against him but its a tough business and he 100% isn't good enough to have an impact at PL level.

If we got him out on loan then I could see another loan for Minamino late in the window. But for a permanent signing I don't think we could afford what it would take to sign a starting player...and its the one position where we have plenty of cover.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

So apparently we’re after a full back, centre back and defensive midfielder. No mention of a striker or wide attacker 

Or Goalkeeper too which I find strange as most on here seem to think Forster and McArthy  are crap

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, John B said:

Or Goalkeeper too which I find strange as most on here seem to think Forster and McArthy  are crap

IMHO Forster is marginally less crap than McCarthy who is extremely so. Will lose us a lot of games this season. A good goalie is worth x points a season, discuss.

10 hours ago, Dusic said:

We will obviously replace Ings when he goes.

But wide attacker we have Armstrong, Redmond, Walcott, Djenepo, Tella and Elyounoussi who play there plus even Smallbone when he is fit again.

Not saying we shouldn't target that position but we would surely need to let two of those go first? Personally I don't think Elyounoussi deserves another chance, nothing against him but its a tough business and he 100% isn't good enough to have an impact at PL level.

If we got him out on loan then I could see another loan for Minamino late in the window. But for a permanent signing I don't think we could afford what it would take to sign a starting player...and its the one position where we have plenty of cover.

I think this highlights how bad the Theo deal was. Just another big standard attacking midfielder. From that above list, Armstrong is competent enough and Tella is looking promising, but raw, the others are way off the pace. 

Seems though Blackburn are expecting Armstrong to go this summer. Surely you wouldn’t say this about your star player if they weren’t certain he was going (we haven’t struck this tone about Ings yet). It looks like us or Watford at the moment. If you were Armstrong I think you would want to come here

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/blackburn-rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-outlines-transfer-stance-over-southampton-and-watford-target/

Just now, Sir Ralph said:

Seems though Blackburn are expecting Armstrong to go this summer. Surely you wouldn’t say this about your star player if they weren’t certain he was going (we haven’t struck this tone about Ings yet). It looks like us or Watford at the moment. If you were Armstrong I think you would want to come here

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/blackburn-rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-outlines-transfer-stance-over-southampton-and-watford-target/

Can you see us spending more than £15m? Not sure I can. Hope so though, and for once as an extra, not cheapie (relatively) Ings replacement

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Can you see us spending more than £15m? Not sure I can. Hope so though, and for once as an extra, not cheapie (relatively) Ings replacement

If vestegaard goes and we get a cheaper replacement centre back I could see it. As the window gets closer to closing I think Blackburn will drop their price. 

I also didn’t realise that obafemi contract is expiring at the end of this year. Surely we want to get some money for him this window. 

Also tella and djenepo only have 2 years left. If either has a good season we are going to have to sell next summer. Surprised the club haven’t signed them up to new deals yet bearing in mind the Vestegaard and Ings situation. Stephens also expiring next summer.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

If vestegaard goes and we get a cheaper replacement centre back I could see it. As the window gets closer to closing I think Blackburn will drop their price. 

In which case it will depend on whether we , Watford, or another are better placed at the time to afford him ie who we have sold by then.

38 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

I also didn’t realise that obafemi contract is expiring at the end of this year. Surely we want to get some money for him this window. 

Also tella and djenepo only have 2 years left. If either has a good season we are going to have to sell next summer. Surprised the club haven’t signed them up to new deals yet bearing in mind the Vestegaard and Ings situation. Stephens also expiring next summer.

Have either shown enough to warrant a contract extension ? 

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Tella absolutely has, he is a big asset to the squad. I also think Djenepo is also worth persisting with.

I agree - tella does deserve one. I can’t imagine he is on much a week so increasing his wages to keep him would surely be worthwhile in risk terms bearing in mind potential shown. Djenepo is only 23 and one year older than tella - I think he is worth keeping as he has shown flashes. Losing him next summer at a reduced rate I think would be bad business.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DT said:

IMHO Forster is marginally less crap than McCarthy who is extremely so. Will lose us a lot of games this season. A good goalie is worth x points a season, discuss.

Difference for me is Forster does make saves you don't expect him to, McCarthy only ever makes simple saves. 

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Played 23 league games, scored 2 goals and was voted by Hoffenheim's fans as player of the month in November (not bad for a 20 year old in the Bundesliga).

I know a few German guys who don't think he has a future as a left-back, which is likely where we'd want him to play the majority of the time. 

1 hour ago, Sir Ralph said:

I agree - tella does deserve one. I can’t imagine he is on much a week so increasing his wages to keep him would surely be worthwhile in risk terms bearing in mind potential shown. Djenepo is only 23 and one year older than tella - I think he is worth keeping as he has shown flashes. Losing him next summer at a reduced rate I think would be bad business.

Tella is on 900 quid a week apparently. Give him what he's worth.

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Second bid expected suggests Villa have been encouraged, plus a current niggly injury.

Every player has a price, especially if they push for a move.

They wouldn’t have made an offer if they didn’t think they had a chance. 

The way these things work is clubs speak to agents to gage an interest first. 

I wonder what our price is? 35-40m and I think he’d go. 

4 minutes ago, SKD said:

They wouldn’t have made an offer if they didn’t think they had a chance. 

The way these things work is clubs speak to agents to gage an interest first. 

I wonder what our price is? 35-40m and I think he’d go. 

If Saints know that he wants to go to Villa then I'm sure they would consider any bid upwards of £40m if it were structured right.

Whether Villa would go that high, who knows?

For the club it wouldn't be a great look to lose him to a team that finished 11th last season!

Not convinced by his injury in light of this.

Edited by Dusic

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If Saints know that he wants to go to Villa then I'm sure they would consider any bid upwards of £40m if it were structured right.

Whether Villa would go that high, who knows?

For the club it wouldn't be a great look to lose him to a team that finished 11th last season!

It’s the same argument with Ings / Everton and West Ham. 

Other than to be the main man, why would they want to stay at us? Villa with the backing they have, are a much better prospect than us at the moment.  

I can’t see a club higher in which JWP would get in, to be honest. 

Edited by SKD

£25m for JWP have a word. If Ben White is going for £50m I'd want at least that as well.

Can we engage in some shithousery too - we should offer Man City £5m for De Bruyne, see how they bite. At least we'd get some publicity too. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Sir Ralph said:

Unless say Watford go £20m final offer then we will see if we are in the running.