Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

Anyone fancy another #Ziyechwatch? Fully expect that the ship has long sailed in the respect of us, but Chelsea are seemingly open to loaning him out according to reports. Who knows what could happen if we suddenly sell Ings/Vestergaard.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Anyone fancy another #Ziyechwatch? Fully expect that the ship has long sailed in the respect of us, but Chelsea are seemingly open to loaning him out according to reports. Who knows what could happen if we suddenly sell Ings/Vestergaard.

Really - find that hard time believe.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Pepe has been a good player for them and will become more and more important. 

Gotta admit, I'm a bit of a Pepe truther. I think there is a quality player in there, he came into arsenal when they were a state and was very young so struggled a lot because of that. Since they have looked more settled on the latter half of this season he's looked quality. I tip him to be worth the money and more going forward. 

46 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Not sure I see us going above this.

I dare say that's it for us. Hope not obviously but I imagine we were hoping they would get more desperate and we could pick him up for closer to £10m. Now we know they have another option they will probably take it. 

52 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Not sure I see us going above this.

Nope,  that is probably that unless we really, really want him and this makes us shit our pants and pay over the odds for him. I assume we were hoping he'd put in a transfer request and Blackburn's hand would be forced but that doesn't seem to be happening either.

I hope we have other targets to pursue or we get closer to the season with Adams, Obafemi and Ings as our strikers, with Ings potentially on his way out. So Adams and Obafemi become our two options if he leaves, with Long and Walcott the other options if we are desperate.

#saintsfc have agreed a fee for Adam Armstrong in the region of £17m + add ons. Personal terms are being sorted currently with a breakthrough likely within the next couple of days. [Telegraph]

🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by saint lard

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

#saintsfc have agreed a fee for Adam Armstrong in the region of £17m + add ons. Personal terms are being sorted currently with a breakthrough likely within the next couple of days. [Telegraph]

🤷🏻‍♂️

Saw this on Twitter yesterday. Turned out to be a false report. Telegraph haven't made any such article.

• Like 1

If we do sign Armstrong, it will surely only be once Ings is sold given the likely cost.

Massive gamble as an Ings replacement given he has only really had one really good season.

Could probably get Edouard for a similar fee to what Armstrong will be.

Edited by Dusic

10 hours ago, TWar said:

I dare say that's it for us. Hope not obviously but I imagine we were hoping they would get more desperate and we could pick him up for closer to £10m. Now we know they have another option they will probably take it. 

Our only possible ace is if they want Obafemi on a perm more than they want Gray on loan

3 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Our only possible ace is if they want Obafemi on a perm more than they want Gray on loan

I think they just want cash by the looks of things. But Oba +£15m would be a decent deal for all concerned imo.

45 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think they just want cash by the looks of things. But Oba +£15m would be a decent deal for all concerned imo.

If they take cash they only get 60% of the value because of Newcastle's sell on clause, surely they'd want a player exchange? Or they'll have to accept one because no one is paying £25m

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

If they take cash they only get 60% of the value because of Newcastle's sell on clause, surely they'd want a player exchange? Or they'll have to accept one because no one is paying £25m

I think the main issue all the teams linked (us, Watford, Norwich) have very poor squad depth. This means out players we'd put up for exchange are probably a bit lacklustre. Oba seemed ok but he has a dreadful injury record for a young lad, and Gray is just very poor.

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

If we do sign Armstrong, it will surely only be once Ings is sold given the likely cost.

Massive gamble as an Ings replacement given he has only really had one really good season.

Could probably get Edouard for a similar fee to what Armstrong will be.

We should sign Armstrong and Edouard if Ings goes. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BILLY said:

I'm not sure we can we afford that. The saving on Ings wages would unlikely cover improved wages for Armstrong and Edouard - at the moment our strategy seems to be trying to get control of our spiralling costs - replacing one person with 2 isn't going to fit.

15 minutes ago, BILLY said:

I think Edouard will be about £25m. Armstrong hopefully we can get for around £20m. If Ings goes I'd rather one or the other and then spend the saved £20m on a better attacking mid/10. Che is a good starter, we don't need to sign £20m+ in his position when we are set to start Walcott, McCarthy, Bednarek who are much worse for me.

The longer this prospective Armstrong signing goes on the less enthused I am about getting him. 
just seems to me we might just stretch our spending limits on this one player and he’s just a second rate championship striker,who had a purple patch recently in a lower league. 
I’m not convinced he will be the solution to our problems. 
especially in the likelihood Ings will be off. 
If only we could get Tammy Abraham. 
Atleast he would fill me with a little hope. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BILLY said:

This is my hope. Probably a forlorn one though. Adams/Armstrong/Edouard would seem to give us great options up front. Having Redmond etc 'fill in' just doesn't work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I'm not sure we can we afford that. The saving on Ings wages would unlikely cover improved wages for Armstrong and Edouard - at the moment our strategy seems to be trying to get control of our spiralling costs - replacing one person with 2 isn't going to fit.

Isn’t Ings being offered a £100k a week…….?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saint lard said:

The longer this prospective Armstrong signing goes on the less enthused I am about getting him. 
just seems to me we might just stretch our spending limits on this one player and he’s just a second rate championship striker,who had a purple patch recently in a lower league. 

But we can't, which is kind of the point. We cannot afford/attract proven PL strikers, so we either have to look for cheap talent abroad or at the best players in the leagues below, i.e Armstrong. 

Whoever we sign will come with a large element of risk, but at least AA has shown he knows how to score goals. Whether he can do that in the PL who knows. I would be happy with him signing, although wouldn't want us paying more than £15m as we have other areas that need strengthening too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, saint lard said:

I've said this before (but got no likes for it, you utter bastards) - Armstrong's performance last season was pretty extraordinary.  He scored 28 goals in a faltering team (Blackburn finished 15th) - which was more than half of all Blackburn's goals.  Despite their poor season, Blackburn finished with a goal difference of plus 11 (better than Barnsley who finished 5th) and scored almost as many goals as Swansea who finished 4th. 

He seems worth a punt.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, saint lard said:

If only we could get Tammy Abraham

that was the one I would have ideally wanted as well. shame the numbers being mentioned have us nowhere near

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

What the fuck are you on about.

its a realistic target

You have a few anger issues don’t you?

it’s only realistic if we have the cash spare £8-10m because some noddy site links it doesn’t make it true. 
We have 8 players gone and got in 2 so far what does that tell you?

6 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

We have 8 players gone and got in 2 so far what does that tell you?

What do you think it tells us?

The majority of those who have left were not in the first team last season. Have you considered it is shifting deadwood to make room for incomings?

5 hours ago, Verbal said:

I've said this before (but got no likes for it, you utter bastards) - Armstrong's performance last season was pretty extraordinary.  He scored 28 goals in a faltering team (Blackburn finished 15th) - which was more than half of all Blackburn's goals.  Despite their poor season, Blackburn finished with a goal difference of plus 11 (better than Barnsley who finished 5th) and scored almost as many goals as Swansea who finished 4th. 

He seems worth a punt.

agreed by me :smug:

from a Blackburn fan/mate, after I asked him about AA goal scoring - We had Harvey Elliott on loan, who I think had the most assists in the league and two other strikers on the wing setting everything up for him, don;t think he is premiership quality yet but can improve. 

1 hour ago, le_tiss said:

agreed by me :smug:

from a Blackburn fan/mate, after I asked him about AA goal scoring - We had Harvey Elliott on loan, who I think had the most assists in the league and two other strikers on the wing setting everything up for him, don;t think he is premiership quality yet but can improve. 

Sounds like sour grapes that hes leaving, bit like us at the moment with Ings tbh. Buendia had the most assists in the league, Olise was second. And one of those strikers on the wing was a certain Sam Gallagher, who had a grand total of 3 assists all season.

Honestly wont know if hes PL quality until we see him in the PL. Thats the risk with Championship players, same as we had with Adams (who has given us a decent return imo). Think hes worth the risk, but closer to 15m than 20+m

• Like 1

It's an interesting one. Che Adams had one good Championship season before joining us and despite not being our primary goal scorer, he's still very much worth a place in our eleven. Jay Rodriguez didn't have as impressive a season as Adams, or Armstrong had before he joined us, although still a good record and he was going to higher places until his injury. Billy Sharp had a similar record to Rodriguez, and was key to helping get us over the finish line in 2011-12, but couldn't make the step up with us, or Sheffield United. Rickie Lambert had one standout League One season before joining us, like Lee Barnard, but one moved up each level with us with ease, while the other couldn't forge a Championship career.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hawkswood said:

Oh I dont know. I thought Dani Osvaldo was a good signing so Im staying well out of this one.

Every time I go to St Mary's I look for a poor guy in his old Saints replica shirt with OSVALDO printed on the back. There must be one somewhere. Haha.