Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

6 hours ago, CB Fry said:

He's back everyone.

If Potter was our manager (15th, then 16th) you'd fucking hate him and would have spent the last two seasons constantly shitting yourself about relegation as you did with our two seasons when we were far clearer of the drop than Brighton were for every single day of both those seasons.

If that was us there's no way you'd be predicting top half.

Absolute weirdo.

Hard not to argue that Brighton building a better squad than us though. They just need a goalscorer 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

there is quantity, especially with their `satellite' centres `stealing' talent from under or noses, but they also hoover up the best kids. Seems a long time ago that Luke Shaw turned them down for us. Not sure many do now.

Exactly this. A few nippers from my lad's team have spent time at their centres. And they are only nine.

21 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

Hard not to argue that Brighton building a better squad than us though. They just need a goalscorer 

People say this all the time, but Ings is our first 20 a season man since returning to the Prem, yet we’ve finished 6th, 7th and 8th with our strikers barely hitting double figures. Loads of Brighton’s signings have flopped, they’ve spent way more than us, and yet they drop more points from winning positions than anybody. Clearly scoring goals is not their only issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaptopSaint said:

Or better value from their attackers.

They didn't get any value from Jahanbakhsh, I imagine they'd have expected a decent haul from him. I'd also expect more from Trossard tbh.

I think they could do with someone better than Maupay, but they also need to be better in all attacking areas. They look great up until the box (well, they did last season). 

3 hours ago, Wimborne_saint said:

Blackburn not budging on their 25m valuation of Armstrong...

They will. Not a chance in hell anyone’s paying £25m for him, even without the fact he’s got a year left.

I suspect it’s the exact same with us and Ings. The later in the window, the less ballsy the club is and the lower that fee becomes.

The advantage we have is if we keep Ings, we benefit from his goals potentially keeping us up and another £100m through the door. If Blackburn keep AA and he runs his contract down, they don’t have the same monetary reward. I doubt they would be able to turn down £15m.

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Well this has come out of absolutely nowhere - gives me more hope for some other signings!

Looks like a sensible pick up, wish the lad well. U23s to start with an eye towards the first team I presume.

Interesting to see whether these players rejecting contracts will start a shift in Chelsea's policy of stockpiling players. Younger players I presume seeing the likes of Sancho and thinking they want some of that and want a proper pathway to the first team, which has probably gone with Lampard's departure. 

2 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Lets bloody hope this lad has learnt from all his brothers horrendous mistakes and 110% concentrates on his football and nothing else!

He certainly has the making of a very decent player for us.

Weird comment.

2 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Lets bloody hope this lad has learnt from all his brothers horrendous mistakes and 110% concentrates on his football and nothing else!

Link to what his brother has been up to please 

3 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Not really sure that needed dragging up if I'm totally honest. 

• Like 7

18 hours ago, igsey said:

Well this has come out of absolutely nowhere - gives me more hope for some other signings!

Looks like a sensible pick up, wish the lad well. U23s to start with an eye towards the first team I presume.

Has he seen the U23's results? I expect most of us could break into that team lol

5 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

I know we have to sell to buy, but if we really literally have to do it in that order rather than just balancing the books at the end of the window, we must be in a truly dicey place financially. 

Maybe not dicey, maybe just financially constrained. It wouldn't look too clever having effectively taken a hardship loan, to then spend what you don't have "in the banks". Pure speculation on my part, I'm no business guru.

7 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

I know we have to sell to buy, but if we really literally have to do it in that order rather than just balancing the books at the end of the window, we must be in a truly dicey place financially. 

It's been that way for a while. We are f*cked, if we get relegated we are in big trouble. incredible how badly run we've been.

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

Maybe not dicey, maybe just financially constrained. It wouldn't look too clever having effectively taken a hardship loan, to then spend what you don't have "in the banks". Pure speculation on my part, I'm no business guru.

I guess that's what I'm saying. It sounds like the club has no ability to cover even a short term positive transfer balance without it creating unacceptable risk (and as someone says above, Lemina is only going to bring in £4m or so).

If true, that's a staggering level of constraint for a PL club to be operating under compared to its peers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

I guess that's what I'm saying. It sounds like the club has no ability to cover even a short term positive transfer balance without it creating unacceptable risk (and as someone says above, Lemina is only going to bring in £4m or so).

If true, that's a staggering level of constraint for a PL club to be operating under compared to its peers.

Unfortunately I think the strategy unitil sold, will be to do just enough / spend enough, not to get relegated. It's not all the clubs fault, a lot of it is down to the monster the premier league has become.

47 minutes ago, rudi7s said:

Appreciate it might... but seems a bit odd that £4m (which is probably weirdly constructed with even less up front) would provide funds for Armstrong? 

Probably means we can get Williams over the line.

7 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Probably means we can get Williams over the line.

Still don't see the point of that if its a loan with no option, considering it would cost about £5m incl wages just for one season of a backup full back and then probably another £15m if we wanted to sign him permanently. Thats in total more than we will get for selling one of the best strikers in the PL!

Someone like Livramento would have been a great signing for us unfortunately!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Still don't see the point of that if its a loan with no option, considering it would cost about £5m incl wages just for one season of a backup full back and then probably another £15m if we wanted to sign him permanently. Thats in total more than we will get for selling one of the best strikers in the PL!

Someone like Livramento would have been a great signing for us unfortunately!

Exactly this.

Also to your Williams, point, if he’s good for us, he’d probably go to £25m after a good season.

58 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Surely, we will be in a better position soon.  We have shifted so many players over the last couple of years, including the 'dross' like Boufal 

One bonus this season is that Mark Hughes and his mates will finally be of the books. Managers can apparently draw their salary every month if the haven't yet found a new gig, until the end of the contract .

Call me cynical,  but that might explain why he has been all over the TV lately,  trying to find another mugg.

1 hour ago, rudi7s said:

Appreciate it might... but seems a bit odd that £4m (which is probably weirdly constructed with even less up front) would provide funds for Armstrong? 

I'd guess it is more to do with wages.

Either way, we're clearly fucked financially.

Edited by Suhari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, verlaine1979 said:

If he does go to Newcastle he'll be their first signing this window, with Ashley agreeing only very reluctantly to the move as he is over 27 and hence no resale value.  We know what's going on here but I suspect moans are widespread throughout the league from a good number of clubs. Let's hope that the ones doing more signings have Les Reed in charge..

20 hours ago, igsey said:

Seems unlikely we enticed the guy who captained Chelsea to the u23s title with the promise of playing more u23 football in a lower division.

I'd guess he'll either be part of the first team squad or loaned out to play proper football.

1 hour ago, Suhari said:

I'd guess it is more to do with wages.

Either way, we're clearly fucked financially.

I've not been paying full attention, which players have we managed to get rid of so far this summer? 

Trying to work out transfer fees received / wages saved. 

Obviously still a few more to go hopefully especially Lemina and Elynoussi 

Just now, JRM said:

I've not been paying full attention, which players have we managed to get rid of so far this summer? 

Gunn - £5.5 mil roughly (+ add ons)

Hoedt - undisclosed (I’d guess £1-2 mil)

Bertrand - contract expired

Jankewitz - 550k roughly

Nlundulu- Loan to Lincoln 

Minamino- End of Loan

Sims and Hesketh released

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

Bertrand / Sims / Hesketh / Hoedt / Gunn / Jankewitz

Around £200k a week, I reckon.

12 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Rumour mill doing the rounds….

Giorgos Giakoumakis is coming for £7m. Obafemi will go on loan to #afcb and Long is off to rejoin Reading. Source - Office staff at #saintsfc 😏🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

If so, this, from the excellent Rory smith, is well worth a read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/30/sports/soccer/when-the-goals-come-out-of-nowhere.html

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

It's been that way for a while. We are f*cked, if we get relegated we are in big trouble. incredible how badly run we've been.

When £100m + of signings don't pay off, and have no resale value, its inevitable that we can't spend on new players. Had we been able to offload those signings at cost we'd be better placed, but we have no way of recouping what we've wasted. Throw payoffs to shit managers, Forster, no commercial revenue, etc in the mix and its easy to see why we're on a mess. It's been a shit storm for years and the current lot have got an unenviable job. 

34 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Rumour mill doing the rounds….

Giorgos Giakoumakis is coming for £7m. Obafemi will go on loan to #afcb and Long is off to rejoin Reading. Source - Office staff at #saintsfc 😏🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Long isn't going to Reading. They haven't got a pot to piss in