Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

7 hours ago, CB Fry said:

How come he hasn't played for two entire seasons? Has he had a really bad injury?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/phil-jones/verletzungen/spieler/117996

yes been out for a year with a bad knee injury. 

interesting one, obviously a good player who would give us experience and cover in a few positions, but injury record a bit of a concern. But that’s the only way we’re going to get a player of that quality at the price talked about. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cartman said:

Don't think many on here are fully aware just how bad Jones' injury record is, he is more McQueen than Ings. If fit... he will never be fit for more than 5 minutes, an ex-footballer who will likely spend the next 2 years collecting the 100k per week Man Utd owe him before retiring. Would be an awful, pointless signing though fortunately it looks like Graeme Bailey just threw our name out there as an afterthought along with half the league and there is nothing in this.

He's had a knee injury and unspecified knocks on the last couple of years. What's the knee issue? Acl? 

I'd take Jones. He had some long term injuries , fair enough but I think he's been fit for a while now but can't get back into the united side so he's not getting the chance to do anything. 

Obviously he needs to be fit enough to play but if he is then I think he'd be a great signing. Fergie always rated him extremely highly and he was a regular for England. I agree with some others that he might go the West Ham route and get paid a hundred grand a week, but if we are prepared to take a chance we could be a good fit. I'm sure he'd have a beneficial effect on the entire squad not just the CB position. And he's free....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, SonicBoom said:

I'd take Jones. He had some long term injuries , fair enough but I think he's been fit for a while now but can't get back into the united side so he's not getting the chance to do anything. 

Obviously he needs to be fit enough to play but if he is then I think he'd be a great signing. Fergie always rated him extremely highly and he was a regular for England. I agree with some others that he might go the West Ham route and get paid a hundred grand a week, but if we are prepared to take a chance we could be a good fit. I'm sure he'd have a beneficial effect on the entire squad not just the CB position. And he's free....

I agree that he has the quality, leadership, flexibility to add to our team. He was in the England squad just 3 years ago so is of decent quality. But if his wages are £100k per week for the next 2 years that equates to £10m (ish) - of course he may be prepared to take  cut or Man U might subsidise like Theo. 

But his injury record is horrendous - over a longer period worse than Danny Ings when he joined. Based on his record even in a "good" season he would only be available 20+ games per season and who knows if the most recent injuries have caused long term impact to his capabilities. 

It is a risk - we could be lucky and he could be injury free for much of the next 2 seasons or his injury could flair up in the first game and we don't see his again for 2 years. Assuming that a very thorough medical doesn't show anything up I 'd probably suggest that this could be a potential option - but if we do, I suggest we all keep our fingers crossed every time he goes into a tackle. 

It's a risk - 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Anyone who thinks we might sign Phil Jones please have a listen to the last fans forum where Matt Crocker explained in detail the recruitment process that is followed and in particular the key criteria that should be met.

He said in the past we had veered away from that and made costly mistakes so are looking to stick to it.

• Like 1

Leon Bailey, exciting, but not going to happen (but would be a really good signing).

Phil Jones, no, just no, better than Bednerak? LOL no, even if he was fit and was able to play regularly he isn't. 

I mean really comparison to Jonny Evans? Have people actually ever watched football? Jonny Evans was always a classy defender that was maybe not quite top level to hold down a regular spot at Utd. Jones was just a walking mistake that occasionally threw his ugly mug in front of the ball and now there are doubts about whether he could even walk to that mistake....... 

He's the centre back equivalent of Tom Cleverley, someone that would get nowhere near an England squad if he wasn't at Utd. 

• Haha 1

Phil Jones should’ve made that move to a Saints/West Ham/Burnley about 3 years ago, the ship has sailed for him now unfortunately I think. He’s very reckless and unrefined, which is a cause of a lot of his injuries, as mentioned above he’s not Jonny Evans.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Saints have signed Ollie Lancashire back as defensive back up. Great signing.

Defensive coach ??

FFS - I thought your post was a piss take but have now seen the other thread.

Must be a place for Ali Dia somewhere, fitness or strikers coach.

Edited by Badger

20 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Doubt we are, but I'd hope we were monitoring Lee Buchanan (20) at financially troubled Derby. Current England U21 left back, a year left on his contract, and with Celtic and Nottingham Forest sniffing about at around £1.2m.

If we can't find that holy grail of an affordable back up full back who can play equally well on both sides, maybe the next best option is to invest in a talented, quite experienced English youngster at left back (with sell on potential if he develops well), in the knowledge that we've at least got some alternative options in the squad to Walker-Peters at RB if needed.

Possibly a better use of our limited funds than £2m plus £4m in wages for a year of Brandon Williams.

your post got a little lost in the Jones discussion. Interesting prospect - with Forrest already bidding for him. The question is, is he good enough to play in the Prem. I don't remember him in the two Derby games I watched last season. Have you any insight? I've watched one youtube video. He's very one footed, looks composed, decent pace, decent size. The clicks showed some decent passes and crosses, but not enough content to make an assessment.

He wont be going for £1.2m. I think Derby has an option to extend his contract by another year, so he won't be walking for a free next summer. Probably have to pay about £5m before they got interested - I think Bogle went for about that as part of a dual sale to Sheff United.

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

Anyone who thinks we might sign Phil Jones please have a listen to the last fans forum where Matt Crocker explained in detail the recruitment process that is followed and in particular the key criteria that should be met.

He said in the past we had veered away from that and made costly mistakes so are looking to stick to it.

can you give us a short synopsis of that criteria? Perhaps a four or five point check list that we on here can choose to ignore when its a player we'd like Saints to sign.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

can you give us a short synopsis of that criteria? Perhaps a four or five point check list that we on here can choose to ignore when its a player we'd like Saints to sign.

I'm guessing this criteria was pre Theo contract as well as I'm pretty sure he wouldn't fit in with it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Interesting prospect - with Forrest already bidding for him. The question is, is he good enough to play in the Prem. I don't remember him in the two Derby games I watched last season. Have you any insight? I've watched one youtube video. He's very one footed, looks composed, decent pace, decent size. The clicks showed some decent passes and crosses, but not enough content to make an assessment.

Good enough to play in the Premier League? Hard to gauge. I mean, how many of our squad outside the first XI really qualify? In the Derby games I've seen where I've kept an eye out for him, he's been unremarkably decent. I suppose I'd liken him to another young left back - Luke Thomas at Leicester. Came in for them last season when Justin got injured and did a job. Nothing too noteworthy about his performances, but nothing disastrous either.

It'd be a punt, I'm sure. But we were prepared to go into last season with Vokins as our back up LB - a lad with about 3 senior appearances under his belt. Buchanan has 40 Championship games in the bank already: for his age, he's got good experience (albeit in a struggling team) at a tough level, and you wouldn't expect him to be anything like as defensively naive as Vokins was.

Anyway, it's all hypothetical, as I've not seen any links to him for us and don't expect to.

Think he'll go quite cheap, though. Derby's financial situation means they've got a pretty weak negotiating hand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Good enough to play in the Premier League? Hard to gauge. I mean, how many of our squad outside the first XI really qualify? In the Derby games I've seen where I've kept an eye out for him, he's been unremarkably decent. I suppose I'd liken him to another young left back - Luke Thomas at Leicester. Came in for them last season when Justin got injured and did a job. Nothing too noteworthy about his performances, but nothing disastrous either.

It'd be a punt, I'm sure. But we were prepared to go into last season with Vokins as our back up LB - a lad with about 3 senior appearances under his belt. Buchanan has 40 Championship games in the bank already: for his age, he's got good experience (albeit in a struggling team) at a tough level, and you wouldn't expect him to be anything like as defensively naive as Vokins was.

Anyway, it's all hypothetical, as I've not seen any links to him for us and don't expect to.

Think he'll go quite cheap, though. Derby's financial situation means they've got a pretty weak negotiating hand.

Not many England U21 international from the championship will go under the radar, so you'd hope we have had a good look at him, especially seeing as we had a pretty good idea we needed a left back from a long way back. 

I hope we had a very good long look at Omar Richards too who went on a free from Reading to Bayern Munich.  With us going for Perraud, it will be interesting to compare these three players over the next three years (fat chance we will remember) as you would assume we could have got any of them had we tried. Having said that, why Richards would have turned down Bayern for us I am not sure...

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

That's what he said.

Didn't mention an attacker (?!)

Also confirms he wanted to keep Lemina (!)

I'm pretty sure we will bring in another striker. Hoping obviously for Edouard. 

Shame Mario departed like I said the other day. Ralph was impressed with him since returning for pre-season. 

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

That's what he said.

Didn't mention an attacker (?!)

Also confirms he wanted to keep Lemina (!)

Surprised by a CB, unless 3 at the back is seen as an option.

Attack wise I'm guessing he's planning around what we have. Long is our saviour.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Surprised by a CB, unless 3 at the back is seen as an option.

Attack wise I'm guessing he's planning around what we have. Long is our saviour.

I know this will be incredibly unpopular, but IF Moi is sticking around, I suppose it takes up Minamino's role.

35 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I know this will be incredibly unpopular, but IF Moi is sticking around, I suppose it takes up Minamino's role.

If we have limited funds I can see why Ralph's priority would be making us most solid defensively. We were frankly appaling last year in that department (probably our worst season since promotion in defence.)

Edited by hypochondriac

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

If we have limited funds I can see why Ralph's priority would be making us most solid defensively. We were frankly appealing last year in that department (probably our worst season since promotion in defence.)

Isn't that a good thing? 🤔

(hypochondriac has now edited his typo)

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

The “ #6 “ is an interesting one as we knew with:

1) Janewitz likely leaving 

2) The likelihood of Lemina leaving 

That we would probably need one.

But it never seemed to feature in Ralph’s previous interviews as he often mentioned that Stuey can fill in there. 

Our CB pairing isn’t right and Ralph has tried them all. They all have too many big mistakes in them at this level and aside from Stephens (who is the worst CB skill wise of the lot) are too quiet. It’s a position we can probably upgrade cheaper / easier than the others. Of course it shouldn’t be our priority - but if you don’t have the resource to upgrade other areas you have to do what you can. Also think Vest will be sold to generate funds.

What worries me is that we've heard this many a time from Ralph.

''We need more players''

''We need more players at full back''

''I need a right back''

and every time he's been left short because we don't have the money. Let's see how it pans out.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

What worries me is that we've heard this many a time from Ralph.

''We need more players''

''We need more players at full back''

''I need a right back''

and every time he's been left short because we don't have the money. Let's see how it pans out.

This is absolutely a recurring thing… & we haven’t made enough in sales to get enough of them, you would imagine. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, TWar said:

In what world do we need a 6 more than an attacker. We don't create enough! Mental.

Generally, I agree with most that you post. However, on this occasion:

Attackers: Ings - Adams - Obafemi - Long - Walcott - Tella - Redmond - Armstrong - Djenepo - Elyounoussi = 10 for 4 starting places

6's: JWP - Romeu - Diallo = 3 for 2 starting places (after that you have to include Armstrong, which takes him away from his best position of being a 10)

Then there is Smallbone, when he is fit, who I think is also more of a 10 than a 6.

Looking at the squad like this I can easily see how a 6 is needed over an attacker. 

Give me a choice now of signing Delaney or Adam Armstrong (for example) and I would choose Delaney all day long.

That said, I don't think either Long or Elyounoussi should be retained for this season or any beyond. If they were to go we would certainly need one more in. (I am hoping this will be the case.)

I can honestly see Tella and Obafemi being used a lot this coming season, and both of them doing okay (not great, but okay).

Obviously if Ings goes we definitely need to bring a striker in (but I don't think he will go). 

I also think that Che will have a good goal return this season. (Well, better than last season at least).

14 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Generally, I agree with most that you post. However, on this occasion:

Attackers: Ings - Adams - Obafemi - Long - Walcott - Tella - Redmond - Armstrong - Djenepo - Elyounoussi = 10 for 4 starting places

6's: JWP - Romeu - Diallo = 3 for 2 starting places (after that you have to include Armstrong, which takes him away from his best position of being a 10)

Then there is Smallbone, when he is fit, who I think is also more of a 10 than a 6.

Looking at the squad like this I can easily see how a 6 is needed over an attacker. 

Give me a choice now of signing Delaney or Adam Armstrong (for example) and I would choose Delaney all day long.

That said, I don't think either Long or Elyounoussi should be retained for this season or any beyond. If they were to go we would certainly need one more in. (I am hoping this will be the case.)

I can honestly see Tella and Obafemi being used a lot this coming season, and both of them doing okay (not great, but okay).

Obviously if Ings goes we definitely need to bring a striker in (but I don't think he will go). 

I also think that Che will have a good goal return this season. (Well, better than last season at least).

I think it is a quality over quantity issue personally. I do agree with a lot of what you are saying, especially regarding Che having a good season, but in my opinion we need 1 great player and 1 good player for every position. In central midfield we have two great players in JWP and Romeu and one good player in Diallo. Ideally we'd get another good player to be backup but we have Armstrong who can play there and Smallbone coming through so I'm ok with that.

In attacking midfield we have one great player in Armstrong, a couple of good players in Tella and Walcott, and a few patchy players in Redmond, Ely, and Djenepo. We have a lot of depth but I worry for quality to be honest as we only have one really quality attacking mid.

With regards to Armstrong vs Delaney. I think we'd be more improved by having a starting front four of A. Armstrong, Adams, Ings, and S. Armstrong (assuming A. Armstrong can play as a 10 as Tom Leach suggested, if not I'd rather us sign a 10) than benching Romeu for Delaney or having Delaney sat on our bench. First 11 is number one priority for me, depth comes second.