Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Another potential replacement who will likely be gone before we know what is happening with Ings.

Shame our contract/financial situation forces us to be reactive rather than proactive.

Surely we can shape an offer with Moi & FF going the other way? Maybe they'd fancy Redmond.

Annoying to see decent 'Saints type' players available for relatively low ££, yet we're so fucked that we can't exploit it.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Another potential replacement who will likely be gone before we know what is happening with Ings.

Shame our contract/financial situation forces us to be reactive rather than proactive.

Brighton being a bit better than us again at most things

4 minutes ago, DT said:

This is true. Bassouma will net them even more perhaps

They have already brought in two replacements for Bissouma (Caicedo and Mwepu) so are in quite a strong position too.

They do have a very strong off-field operation with good experience in Paul Barber and Dan Ashworth and an owner in Tony Bloom who is one of the best in the PL.

I think if they sign a good striker they could push for top 10 as have good strength in depth in most other positions, and like you say - still a good bit of cash to do more.

28 minutes ago, Dusic said:

They have already brought in two replacements for Bissouma (Caicedo and Mwepu) so are in quite a strong position too.

They do have a very strong off-field operation with good experience in Paul Barber and Dan Ashworth and an owner in Tony Bloom who is one of the best in the PL.

I think if they sign a good striker they could push for top 10 as have good strength in depth in most other positions, and like you say - still a good bit of cash to do more.

Me too. I said in a different post that I thought they would be top half and got slated by the usual suspects

15 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Wonder if something changed re: Edouard as I’m sure I read The athletic reporter for Brighton said there wasn’t anything in their interest the other day.

Since then the only people linking have been the scottish mail and the scottish sun. Maybe they are more reliable than their english counterparts but I'm taking brightons interest with a pinch of salt for now.

Edited by TWar

Doubt we are, but I'd hope we were monitoring Lee Buchanan (20) at financially troubled Derby. Current England U21 left back, a year left on his contract, and with Celtic and Nottingham Forest sniffing about at around £1.2m.

If we can't find that holy grail of an affordable back up full back who can play equally well on both sides, maybe the next best option is to invest in a talented, quite experienced English youngster at left back (with sell on potential if he develops well), in the knowledge that we've at least got some alternative options in the squad to Walker-Peters at RB if needed.

Possibly a better use of our limited funds than £2m plus £4m in wages for a year of Brandon Williams.

Edited by qwertyell
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, DT said:

Me too. I said in a different post that I thought they would be top half and got slated by the usual suspects

I've got no idea where Brighton might finish. All I said was if Potter was our manager and had finished 15th then 16th you'd fucking hate him and you'd have spent two seasons shitting yourself about being relegated - because you did exactly that with Hasenhuttl's Southampton and we were above Brighton pretty much every single week of both of those seasons.

You're drooling over Brighton for the same reason you drooled over Fulham- anyone that isn't us you think is wonderful while everything we do you think is shit.

So just to be clear: I'm not slating Brighton. I don't give a shit what they do. Just slating you.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 9

52 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I've got no idea where Brighton might finish. All I said was if Potter was our manager and had finished 15th then 16th you'd fucking hate him and you'd have spent two seasons shitting yourself about being relegated - because you did exactly that with Hasenhuttl's Southampton and we were above Brighton pretty much every single week of both of those seasons.

You're drooling over Brighton for the same reason you drooled over Fulham- anyone that isn't us you think is wonderful while everything we do you think is shit.

So just to be clear: I'm not slating Brighton. I don't give a shit what they do. Just slating you.

*handbags*

Interested in Phil Jones on a free (according to twitter)… People on here wont like to hear that, but I think he’s better than Bednerak and is potentially that leader we’re lacking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SKD said:

Interested in Phil Jones on a free (according to twitter)… People on here wont like to hear that, but I think he’s better than Bednerak and is potentially that leader we’re lacking. 

God no, Phil fucking Jones? 
Our recruitment team is diabolical.

9 minutes ago, SKD said:

Twitter isn't a source, it is a collection of millions of sources with a very wide range of reliability. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Twitter isn't a source, it is a collection of millions of sources with a very wide range of reliability. 

You really are a cock, aren’t you. But yes, I already know what Twitter is but thanks for confirming. Graeme Bailey is the ‘source’.

Given people seem to wet their pants over tweets about potential transfers from ‘saints extra’, when it’s a positive one, I thought I’d share. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, SKD said:

They won't like to hear that he's arguably a better CB than anyone we have. Been out for ages though and made of glass. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, egg said:

They won't like to hear that he's arguably a better CB than anyone we have. Been out for ages though and made of glass. 

Used to be able to play right-back AND centre-mid back in the day.

Was a really good player but agree that injuries are the problem.

1 hour ago, SKD said:

He’s definitely better than Bednarek, not sure who our fans think we can get realistically at the moment, would be a good signing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

I'd rather get Jose back if we are going down the golden oldies route. 

Fonte is 38, Jones is 29. Hardly a golden oldie. 

Just because he isn’t quiet good enough for United, doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be a good signing for us, especially on a free. 

Look at Chris Smalling. Considered dead wood, been fantastic at Roma. 

Injuries are / would be a concern though. 

Edited by SKD

1 minute ago, egg said:

He's 29. Loads of years in him. 

Agree and the ‘type’ of player were after. Has a touch of Evans to Leicester about it, all be it jones has less recent playing experience. 

He’d bring experience, leadership and wear his heart on his sleeve. We’ve not had that since Fonte left. 

Keep him fit, big if, then he’d be a very good addition for us imo. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SKD said:

Agree and the ‘type’ of player were after. Has a touch of Evans to Leicester about it, all be it jones has less recent playing experience. 

He’d bring experience, leadership and wear his heart on his sleeve. We’ve not had that since Fonte left. 

Agree with all of that. He's a good player. If he's fit, I'd be delighted to sign him. An upgrade at CB, plus RB cover, and some proper leadership. 

This is the sort of signing fans turn their noses up to, but then proclaim 6 months later that ''they wished we were Leicester''  ''We wish we were West Ham'' - who both have Jonny Evans and Craig Dawson shoring up their defence.

I have no idea what the status is with his injuries, it seems chronic to me - or has it just been a case that he's lost his place? 

But as other's have said he would be our 'Johnny Evans' or 'Craig Dawson' - someone to add that bit of English league experience and knowhow to our ridiculously naive defence. Honestly, you'd struggle to make our defence worse than it was last year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SKD said:

Do you actually believe this rumour?.

Hardly a rebuild of a young squad if we bring in an injury prone 29 year old who has played only a couple of games in two years.

I hope his leadership qualities can be heard from the physio’s table.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Own up, who's adding the laughing face emojis? Why? 

I am, because the notion that Phil Jones would be a good signing is hilarious and fully deserving of laughing face emojis. He hasn't played a single minute over the last 18 months, he's effectively an ex-footballer at this point and wasn't even that good when he was a footballer. But some on here seem to think he is better than Bednarek 😂. No premier league club should be signing him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cartman said:

I am, because the notion that Phil Jones would be a good signing is hilarious and fully deserving of laughing face emojis. He hasn't played a single minute over the last 18 months, he's effectively an ex-footballer at this point and wasn't even that good when he was a footballer. But some on here seem to think he is better than Bednarek 😂. No premier league club should be signing him.

Well at least you've finally made your point in a proper way. People have said, if fit, he'd be worth a punt. You're entitled to a different view, but I think it's the wrong one. 

9 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

Do you actually believe this rumour?.

Hardly a rebuild of a young squad if we bring in an injury prone 29 year old who has played only a couple of games in two years.

I hope his leadership qualities can be heard from the physio’s table.

The injuries and his fitness are the one big concern and worry about this 'possibility'.

But we shouldn't turn our noses up to experience. That's what this squad lacks to be honest. It may not seem a sexy signing on the outset, but a lot can be said for a bit of old fashioned experience being added to a group.

I don't think West Ham fans were doing cart wheels when Dawson signed, but he turned out to be excellent and added that knowhow and experience.

Edited by S-Clarke

No question he's a decent player, frankly the type we need.

However his injury record is desperate. His general fitness will be an issue as well.

Nevertheless these are the type of players we need to look at. Just not too many.

51 minutes ago, egg said:

Agree with all of that. He's a good player. If he's fit, I'd be delighted to sign him. An upgrade at CB, plus RB cover, and some proper leadership. 

Definitely, and a leader and upgrade on all we have at cb. We need to get experience in and forget this young and for the future crap, with a mythical resale value nonsense. Need to change our tunnel vision strategy and get a bit of guile and experience in our side. Still think we need a big and nasty dm in to protect our glass defence and goalkeeper too, part of the reason we conceded so many goals last season…

34 minutes ago, egg said:

Well at least you've finally made your point in a proper way. People have said, if fit, he'd be worth a punt. You're entitled to a different view, but I think it's the wrong one. 

Don't think many on here are fully aware just how bad Jones' injury record is, he is more McQueen than Ings. If fit... he will never be fit for more than 5 minutes, an ex-footballer who will likely spend the next 2 years collecting the 100k per week Man Utd owe him before retiring. Would be an awful, pointless signing though fortunately it looks like Graeme Bailey just threw our name out there as an afterthought along with half the league and there is nothing in this.