Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

A very West Ham signing. 

A very saintsweb comment. You do know they finished 6th last season and we haven’t beaten them since 2017, losing 6 of our last 7 against them. it’s about time people stopped sneering at West Ham. It’s a bit ridiculous.

• Like 4

On 25/07/2021 at 17:50, stevy777_x said:

I would love us to sign Kolo Muani.

Apologies looks like this was a goer and I was wrong  but lucky escape if we walked away??

🚨| The brother of Nantes forward Randal Kolo Muani is trying to become involved in negotiations, telling agents that he wants 80% to their 20% of fees - recently, in talks with Southampton, 9 different agents turned up #saintsfc [@Romain_Molina via @GFFN]

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

A very saintsweb comment. You do know they finished 6th last season and we haven’t beaten them since 2017, losing 6 of our last 7 against them. it’s about time people stopped sneering at West Ham. It’s a bit ridiculous.

All absolutely true.  He’s still a very West Ham  signing, though. 😄

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

I think you'll find that the sentiment of that statement is utter tosh. Until they do something meaningful that surpasses our recent achievements they remain fair game in my most humble opinion. We beat them in the championship, have been to Wembley more than them since our return, and they haven't bettered our league finish under Koeman despite being on a far better footing. In the trials and tribulations of medium sized clubs that don't win anything and have nothing better to do, West Ham are absolutely fair game 🥳...  We even took the gloss off their Payet season 😆. Who cares if we actually beat them every season 🙄

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

They've also spent circa £400m in the last 5 seasons on players.

• Like 2

One swallow does not make a summer, prior to last season they have been like a drunk man fumbling around in the dark, throwing money at anything that moved with no real plan, changing managers right left and centre and hilariously going back to a guy they deemed not good enough.

I mean can we point to Felipe Anderson, bought for nearly £40 million, sold on for less than £3 million back to Lazio I believe, or how about Haller, again bought for like £40 million, sold to Ajax for barely £10 million.  Who knows how many millions they threw after Wilshere on wages. 

We've achieved far more relative 'success' in the last 10 years than they have on probably a 1/4 of the Budget and we didn't get gifted a stadium either. 

Also have we not already seen that their fanbase is unhappy because they are going into a new season lacking depth with the added pressure of playing n Europe? 

They are hardly a model for a super well run club with a clear philosophy, just because we've f*cked up over recent years does not suddenly mean that West Ham are some sort of leading light, both them and Everton out of the middle of the road nothing clubs just have more money than most, that is about it.

If there is a model to follow and envy, it's Leicester.  

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 8

Don't disagree with Ralph in terms of where we are most light.

Attacker wise we could do with another but only if they are better than some of what we have, as numbers wise we have 6 who can play #10 (Armstrong, Redmond, Djenepo, Walcott, Tella, Elyounoussi) and 6 who can play as a striker (Ings, Adams, Obafemi, Long, Tella, Walcott).

So I doubt we will sign a #10 even if Elyounoussi leaves. Striker more likely but only to replace Ings when he goes.

The kind of depressing thing is that the positions Ralph mentioned (full back, CB, no6) would likely not be signings that come in and improve the starting XI - we can't afford those.

I would imagine of any signings we make only Perraud will be a regular starter and he is a replacement for a solid PL player rather than an upgrade in quality.

Shows how difficult it is if you can only spend £10-£15m on a single player. We are crying out for a couple of £25m signings at centre back and at #10 to really improve us.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Attacker wise we could do with another but only if they are better than some of what we have, as numbers wise we have 6 who can play #10 (Armstrong, Redmond, Djenepo, Walcott, Tella, Elyounoussi) and 6 who can play as a striker (Ings, Adams, Obafemi, Long, Tella, Walcott).

So I doubt we will sign a #10 even if Elyounoussi leaves. Striker more likely but only to replace Ings when he goes.

The kind of depressing thing is that the positions Ralph mentioned (full back, CB, no6) would likely not be signings that come in and improve the starting XI - we can't afford those.

I would imagine of any signings we make only Perraud will be a regular starter and he is a replacement for a solid PL player rather than an upgrade in quality.

Shows how difficult it is if you can only spend £10-£15m on a single player. We are crying out for a couple of £25m signings at centre back and at #10 to really improve us.

Get ready for another season of Yolo Ralphampton FC 🤷‍♂️

I'm actually really excited to see Tella get more game time this year. And i think with a fit Romeu and Perraud joining, our first 11 looks much more balanced and more dangerous than it did for most of last season.

A lot will hinge on whether Ings goes, and how interested he is if he stays.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

So a free transfer with a bad injury record isn't a very West Ham signing then.

The WHU tag is because despite all their bluster they ended up signing older “proven” players  . I can see why Moyes might have a soft spot for him though , a bit of a Walcott signing Ha Ha .

6 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

The WHU tag is because despite all their bluster they ended up signing older “proven” players  . I can see why Moyes might have a soft spot for him though , a bit of a Walcott signing Ha Ha .

another myth, unless Bowen, Benrahma, Soucek, Fornals, Diop are all older "proven" players. In fact if you look at their transfer history there are more of the young hungry and guareteed to improve players than there have been of the ones saintsweb snobbily dismiss as a typical West Ham signing. 

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Get ready for another season of Yolo Ralphampton FC 🤷‍♂️

I'm actually really excited to see Tella get more game time this year. And i think with a fit Romeu and Perraud joining, our first 11 looks much more balanced and more dangerous than it did for most of last season.

A lot will hinge on whether Ings goes, and how interested he is if he stays.

and what injuries we sustain is the more likely to determine our season

• Like 1

09:23

COSTA TO BESIKTAS?

Diego Costa is considering a £50,000-per-week contract offer from Besiktas after seven months without a club.

The Sun reports that the striker is weighing up a move to Turkey, having left Atletico Madrid in December 2020.

He had been linked with Benfica, Marseille, Atletico Minero, Sao Paulo and Palmeiras in January, but failed to secure a move.

24 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

09:23

COSTA TO BESIKTAS?

Diego Costa is considering a £50,000-per-week contract offer from Besiktas after seven months without a club.

The Sun reports that the striker is weighing up a move to Turkey, having left Atletico Madrid in December 2020.

He had been linked with Benfica, Marseille, Atletico Minero, Sao Paulo and Palmeiras in January, but failed to secure a move.

A very West Ham signing 😏

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Dusic said:

Agree. It was painfully obvious that we let in far too many goals last season. Lightweight at the back, always looking like we will concede. Can't see the addition of a left back making much difference to that to be honest.

another myth, unless Bowen, Benrahma, Soucek, Fornals, Diop are all older "proven" players. In fact if you look at their transfer history there are more of the young hungry and guareteed to improve players than there have been of the ones saintsweb snobbily dismiss as a typical West Ham signing. 

totally get where you are coming from, are the days of West Ham being like Everton and Sunderland just buying former expensive players from top clubs gone?

But I noticed you didn't quote this

I mean can we point to Felipe Anderson, bought for nearly £40 million, sold on for less than £3 million back to Lazio I believe, or how about Haller, again bought for like £40 million, sold to Ajax for barely £10 million.  Who knows how many millions they threw after Wilshere on wages. 

or mention Joe Hart, Pablo Zab, Hugil, Snograss, Ayew, FONTE, Zaza, 

The truth is probably somewhere between the two of you

Some great signings there (and Coufal) but Benrahma hasn't really played as well as his potential (played 30 games with 1 goal and 6 assists last season) 

In other News:

They have paid Winston Reid £14million in wages since he last kicked a ball in anger for them. 

WOW

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, redkeith said:

There are some bargains to be had, particularly for back up players .

Real Sociadad haver signed Matt Ryan from Brighton and Rico from Bournemouth  for £1m a piece,. 

That’s a terrible example of a bargain, they’re both shit and nowhere near good enough for us, even as back up. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

totally get where you are coming from, are the days of West Ham being like Everton and Sunderland just buying former expensive players from top clubs gone?

Some great signings there (and Coufal) but Benrahma hasn't really played as well as his potential (played 30 games with 1 goal and 6 assists last season) 

In other News:

They have paid Winston Reid £14million in wages since he last kicked a ball in anger for them. 

WOW

!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

image.png.df5820840b76ae6b5e943038b27eb364.png
At £18.5m, if true, I guess this rules us out if we were interested?

Of course we may not rate him, which is fair enough, but It’ll be such a shame if were ruled out because can’t get 20m together to sign him.

Would be a very good replacement for Ings (imo). 

Generally speaking Brighton’s recent work in the transfer market has been pretty good, if they’re interested, I’d think he’d do a job for us. 

13 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

In other News:

WOW

That would be true if he'd not had 2 loans away from the club in that time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SKD said:

Of course we may not rate him, which is fair enough, but It’ll be such a shame if were ruled out because can’t get 20m together to sign him.

Would be a very good replacement for Ings (imo). 

Generally speaking Brighton’s recent work in the transfer market has been pretty good, if they’re interested, I’d think he’d do a job for us. 

Quite different stylewise to Ings, plays primarily as a lone forward, quite a big lad, good at holding the ball up, from what I've seen he is pretty strong but not very quick and quite one footed. He's actually a bit more like Che Adams than Ings. I think Adam Armstrong seems more like Ings than he does. I will say I've only seen him play about 5 times though so if any Celtic fans want to correct me that's fine.

Also, he scored 13 non-pen goals (18 over all) last season in the league so I think I probably would have Armstrong who got 22 (28). You could argue the championship is easier than the Scottish league but outside of Celtic and Rangers I'm not sure I'd agree.

I would take either, but I can see why Edouard might not top our list with Armstrong potentially available.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

In other News:

WOW

Winston Reid that signed for them as a promising 23 year old 11 years ago and was a regular starter for them for most of that time until getting a number of injuries about 3 years ago. Another “very West Ham signings” who is anything but. Quite a few of them aren’t there

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Winston Reid that signed for them as a promising 23 year old 11 years ago and was a regular starter for them for most of that time until getting a number of injuries about 3 years ago. Another “very West Ham signings” who is anything but. Quite a few of them aren’t there

Think you have taken my post in the wrong way! I wasn't talking about Reid in the transfer talk bit (young promising v over the hill PL players) but they did offer him a 6 year contract @ £80k then he got injuried

I did previse it with

IN OTHER NEWS

winston reid has cost them £18m since he kicked a ball

47 minutes ago, egg said:

That would be true if he'd not had 2 loans away from the club in that time. 

thought MLG was the pedantic one?

yep those huge loans to the US for £5kpw subsided and £10 (maybe 20k)pw subsidised at Brentford - or are you saying those Teams paid his weekly salary of £80kpw - during the loans? :rolleyes: 

hang on I will just work out those savings for you :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Snobbily ? I’m sure a few Saints fans would like a proven centre back to sort the defence out . No myth at all you just can’t resist being contrary then introducing another tangent to distract from your over reaction.

2 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

I’m sure a few Saints fans would like a proven centre back to sort the defence out . No myth at all you just can’t resist being contrary then introducing another tangent to distract from your over reaction.

Our centre backs and first choice full backs are fine. What screwed Saints last season was a lack of depth at full back and defensive midfield. When the first choice team plays we are fine, it is injury crisis in a few positions that fucks them.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, le_tiss said:

Think you have taken my post in the wrong way! I wasn't talking about Reid in the transfer talk bit (young promising v over the hill PL players) but they did offer him a 6 year contract @ £80k then he got injuried

I did previse it with

IN OTHER NEWS

winston reid has cost them £18m since he kicked a ball

thought MLG was the pedantic one?

yep those huge loans to the US for £5kpw subsided and £10 (maybe 20k)pw subsidised at Brentford - or are you saying those Teams paid his weekly salary of £80kpw - during the loans? :rolleyes: 

hang on I will just work out those savings for you :rolleyes:

Pedantic, behave. You were wrong, it happens. I've got no idea what the loan clubs paid...you're the one stating the "facts". 

Edited by egg

13 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Snobbily ? I’m sure a few Saints fans would like a proven centre back to sort the defence out . No myth at all you just can’t resist being contrary then introducing another tangent to distract from your over reaction.

“Very West Ham signing” hardly meant as a compliment was it. People are talking bollocks imply West Ham sign loads of has Beens wanting a last pay day, the facts are very different but the we all know people on here don’t like facts when it doesn’t suit them 

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

Annoyingly true - for all the ups and downs of recent seasons, you've always been able to count on West Ham coming along and absolutely bullying us for 90 minutes twice a year.

Are we still intrested in Armstrong?..............why not just sign him,he will be another option up front for when Ings visits the physios room for at least a month🙄 at least there will be an option rather than lets see if Bednarek is any good up front type style of football. If we want him bloody spend the cash the chairmans  funds will have to wait, speaking of which any sound bite about potential take overs yet?

2 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

Are we still intrested in Armstrong?..............why not just sign him,he will be another option up front for when Ings visits the physios room for at least a month🙄 at least there will be an option rather than lets see if Bednarek is any good up front type style of football. If we want him bloody spend the cash the chairmans  funds will have to wait.

They don't need another striker if Ings stays. Ings & Adams 1st choice pairing with Tella & Obafemi as 3rd and 4th choice is more than good enough, with Redmond & Walcott if we are desperate. It is a defensive midfielder and full back cover Saints need to prioritise.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

The “ #6 “ is an interesting one as we knew with:

1) Janewitz likely leaving 

2) The likelihood of Lemina leaving 

That we would probably need one.

But it never seemed to feature in Ralph’s previous interviews as he often mentioned that Stuey can fill in there. 

It was what was said at the Fans Forum (or reported). Seemed to get overlooked after that, suspect that was because Ralph hoped Lemina might stay. It was always the case that we needed an extra body in CM, two positions, 4 players. Romeu's injury brought this issue into stark perspective. 

26 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

They don't need another striker if Ings stays. Ings & Adams 1st choice pairing with Tella & Obafemi as 3rd and 4th choice is more than good enough, with Redmond & Walcott if we are desperate. It is a defensive midfielder and full back cover Saints need to prioritise.

Tella and obafemi are completely unproven though It’s a big ask to expect 10 goals between them over the season even if they played a fair bit. Both are Quick but neither have showed much finishing ability..

3 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Agree. It was painfully obvious that we let in far too many goals last season. Lightweight at the back, always looking like we will concede. Can't see the addition of a left back making much difference to that to be honest.

Is there anything in the rules that says we can't play Forster & McCarthy together. That should keep the goals against tally down.

42 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

For heaven's sake, it's a new season so let's not write them off even before they have kicked a ball!

Both looked decent in last night's friendly and Theo's goal was magnificent.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

For heaven's sake, it's a new season so let's not write them off even before they have kicked a ball!

It's not unreasonable. Neither Walcott nor Redmond are reliable finishers. They have other strengths, sure, but confidently tucking away chances isn't among them. Both far more likely to score the spectacular than put away a one-on-one.

59 minutes ago, Turkish said:

“Very West Ham signing” hardly meant as a compliment was it. People are talking bollocks imply West Ham sign loads of has Beens wanting a last pay day, the facts are very different but the we all know people on here don’t like facts when it doesn’t suit them 

I think we can accept light hearted comments on here without going over the top !

8 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I did not write them off. We were discussing striker options, Walcott and Redmond are primarily options for the two number 10 roles, not strikers. So when I said 'if Saints are desperate', not regarding their ability but having to use 5th and 6th choice strikers and move them away from being used as number 10s.

22 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Tella and obafemi are completely unproven though It’s a big ask to expect 10 goals between them over the season even if they played a fair bit. Both are Quick but neither have showed much finishing ability..

It isn't particularly realistic to add another striker to a list of Ings, Adams, Tella, Obafemi (with Redmond and Walcott also used as strikers if needed).

Tella and Obafemi are effective enough to be 3rd and 4th choice strikers. Another striker is only really needed if Ings is sold.

Saints don't have much in the way of cash this summer, so any cash they do have needs to be focused on improving depth in central midfield and fullbacks. An injury in either of those positions and Saints are screwed.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It isn't particularly realistic to add another striker to a list of Ings, Adams, Tella, Obafemi (with Redmond and Walcott also used as strikers if needed).

Tella and Obafemi are effective enough to be 3rd and 4th choice strikers. Another striker is only really needed if Ings is sold.

Saints don't have much in the way of cash this summer, so any cash they do have needs to be focused on improving depth in central midfield and fullbacks. An injury in either of those positions and Saints are screwed.

You might want to forward that onto Ralph and the club because up until now they've clearly been keen on signing a striker whilst keeping Ings.

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

You might want to forward that onto Ralph and the club because up until now they've clearly been keen on signing a striker whilst keeping Ings.

It isn't clear at all, we don't know what they've done regarding Armstrong.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

We were 11th in the league in goals scored last season and 19th in goals conceded with a full third of our losses being by 3 or more goals. I can believe we are tracking strikers with replacing Ings in mind, either before the start of the season or in preparation for the end of his contract, but make no mistake our problem last season wasn't putting the ball in the net it was keeping it out our end (which has been a consistent problem the last 3 seasons).

Strengthening our defensive depth so we no longer have to play the likes of Salisu, JWP or Dpenepo out of position at full back and can keep Armstrong further up the pitch rather than having him cover the midfield sounds like a good idea to me.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

We were 11th in the league in goals scored last season and 19th in goals conceded with a full third of our losses being by 3 or more goals. I can believe we are tracking strikers with replacing Ings in mind, either before the start of the season or in preparation for the end of his contract, but make no mistake our problem last season wasn't putting the ball in the net it was keeping it out our end (which has been a consistent problem the last 3 seasons).

Strengthening our defensive depth so we no longer have to play the likes of Salisu, JWP or Dpenepo out of position at full back and can keep Armstrong further up the pitch rather than having him cover the midfield sounds like a good idea to me.

I'd argue that in order to score goal we have to push too many forward exposing us at the back, which led to lots of goals. Our lack of talent to create chances therefore may actually be the problem, nit simply that defenders aren't good enough. Stop fullback bombing on for example and you will tighten at the back, but then watch us score fuck all.

That said, having the likes of Bednerak playing right back and the likes of marking Saint Maximin absolutely killed us last season - so strengthening there is also required. 

Honestly, I keep reading that we are well set in all these positions, but in reality we aren't. We may have the right number, but the right quality? Not for me. Finding better on ur budget is a different matter of course.

• Like 1