Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

2 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

£23 million is a lot for any Championship player IMO, but even more so one in the last year of his contract. 

But to be honest if we 'paid' with Obafemi making up 30-40% of the deal and actually paid out only around £10 million up front then I think we would have basically bought him for not a huge amount because Obafemi has not really played much role in the first team. 

I guess It depends if there is any real intrest in Obafemi. If someone is willing to pay £6m for him, then it’s still Costing us. If there’s not, then I agree it’s not a bad make way given he won’t play and is out of contract next season(?). 

36 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

If we get the two Chelsea youngsters, in addition to Perraud, and then get someone like Delaney in, plus Armstrong, AND get rid of Long, in addition to having already got rid off Lemina, Hoedt, Gunn, then yeh that could be an amazing window.

But there is still the big question of Ings and Vestergaard.

I feel like we are moving pieces round the edges pretty well but the biggest moves are still yet undecided. 

JWP is another where a big question remains

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

£23 million is a lot for any Championship player IMO, but even more so one in the last year of his contract. 

A lot of the top championship players go for over £30m nowadays, like Watkins, Benrahma, Buendia. Given he is in the last year of his contract I very much doubt he goes for over £20m but a top championship striker for £25m is pretty standard nowadays. Cheaper than Watkins, as I said, who went for £33m after addons with three fewer goals

Edited by TWar

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

A lot of the top championship players go for over £30m nowadays, like Watkins, Benrahma, Buendia. Given he is in the last year of his contract I very much doubt he goes for over £20m but a top championship striker for £25m is pretty standard nowadays. Cheaper than Watkins, as I said, who went for £33m after addons with three fewer goals

Difference is... Armstrong only has under 1 year left of his contract, the others had longer which increases their value.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Difference is... Armstrong only has under 1 year left of his contract, the others had longer which increases their value.

Yeah I agree. I think with one year left about £17m would do it, but to be honest if we did spend over £20m I wouldn't be upset as I think that is probably good value for a 29 goal championship striker. 

• Like 2

So Tino in, that's RB/LB cover sorted.

Armstrong in, with Obi leaving. Hopefully alongside Ings (i.e. if Ings goes we get another striker); or is that too much to hope for?

A no. 6 was menioned by RH a few days ago (presumably to add numbers, not replace existing)?

That'd be a decent window. Assuming we do replace Ings/Vesty if they go.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

We could only get him if we sell, surely? I read Jose wants him at Roma now.

Yep agreed maybe a loan from somewhere?

Think at 29 maybe not in our plans as we have a very young squad need that calm put foot in older head and I think looking lot better if can carry on. Lose a few fringe ones

9 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Couldn't we get in Loftus on loan for def mid cover?

If we bring Armstrong and then sell Ings would we buy another striker? if so who? that celtic lad?

I’d like us to go for Loftus cheek, but not sure he’d be good cover as a Defensive mid. More of an attacking midfielder. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SKD said:

I’d like us to go for Loftus cheek, but not sure he’d be good cover as a Defensive mid. More of an attacking midfielder. 

If he came in as the attacking midfielder and Armstrong dropped in as an alternative no. 6 maybe this could work. I always feel we lose something when Stu isn't playing as a no. 10 though. Oh god, no. 6, no. 10 - I've gone all "Ralph"... 🥴

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Couldn't we get in Loftus on loan for def mid cover?

If we bring Armstrong and then sell Ings would we buy another striker? if so who? that celtic lad?

I'm starting to think we don't need Ings ... or Armstrong... Adams and Tella look very comfortable together. However, I appreciate we aren't playing Cardiff and Swansea next season. Let's see how they get on vs the big sides visiting in the next 10 days.

22 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

I'm starting to think we don't need Ings ... or Armstrong... Adams and Tella look very comfortable together. However, I appreciate we aren't playing Cardiff and Swansea next season. Let's see how they get on vs the big sides visiting in the next 10 days.

Injuries?

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Might not be the only 'big 6' buy back deal Saints do...

Oooo exciting! Wonder who else it could be. Off the top of my head Tuanzebe, Yangel Herrera, Skipp (spurs are big-6 if not top 6), Willock maybe?

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Probably alone in this but I'd be very disappointed if we let Obafemi go.

I dunno, I don't think he's ever going to cut it. If we can use Obafemi in a deal to get someone I regard as a far more complete player (Armstrong) then we should be all over it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the saint in winchester said:

Adams and Tella weren’t playing up top together though. Long was playing with Adams and Tella was playing out wide.

37 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

You're not. He's got pace, good touch, can finish. Made of glass though and not had a run of games. I'd keep him. 

32 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

S-Clarke do you know if Edouard is still on our radar? 

Not proclaiming to know he ever was to be honest.

For me, I don't see us signing another striker unless Ings goes. I don't think we have the money for that.

3 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

I always feel we lose something when Stu isn't playing as a no. 10 though. 

Agree he has developed into our best ball carrier imo, seems fast on the ball, rather than just off it like someone like Redmond might be, is a very strong runner, is able to dribble/shoot well with both feet, and is probably our best shooter around the edge of the box bar maybe Ings. 

For what Ralph wants them to do in those spots, he does it very well imo, breaks the line, runs at people and shoots well from the 'red area' as he likes to call it, plus has much better composure/decision making than any of the other options. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SKD said:

I really like him too. Would add a great deal to our midfield.

If someone did offer £6m for Obafemi I think I would take it. I don't think it is one that would haunt us in the future. I can't see him ever leading the line or reaching 10 PL goals a season.

Although at the same time, how much would it cost to replace someone of his ability as a fringe player... 

7 minutes ago, DT said:

I really like him too. Would add a great deal to our midfield.

He did absolutely nothing of note at all last season. In fact he only scored 1 goal, with zero assists, and that goal was way back in November. Plus, as others have said, he is far more of a 10 than a 6.

I think Maitland-Niles or Herrera would be far better options. Not that I think we will sign either of them, but either would be nice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I'd be a bit surprised if we let him go. He has blistering pace, a decent touch, and can finish. He's been noticeable for what chance creation in preseason and adds something to our attack. In the past Ralph has criticised his training attitude and said he needs to be more serious, and i think if he were ever to get a run in the side that he'd prove a valuable player.

If we are to lose an attacking player then surely it needs to be long first and foremost? Nothing against the guy, but he's far and away our worst attacker now.

I could actually see us singing AA as a forward/CAM and using SA in the middle with JWP at times. 

Edited by Saint86

44 minutes ago, Minsk said:

He did absolutely nothing of note at all last season. In fact he only scored 1 goal, with zero assists, and that goal was way back in November. Plus, as others have said, he is far more of a 10 than a 6.

I think Maitland-Niles or Herrera would be far better options. Not that I think we will sign either of them, but either would be nice.

Agree. Loftus Cheek is not one I'd want to see in our squad. He made relatively little impact at Fulham. I wonder if the serious injury he suffered is still hampering him because he was a good player before that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Love a bit transfer speculation by-way-of shirt number speculation :D .

I'm not 100% sure I see us still wanting Williams considering the cost & the fact we've probably just reduced his prospective playing time by 50%.

Doig would make sense [at around £4m and fits our profile] but I've seen nothing too concrete on our interest.

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Love a bit transfer speculation by-way-of shirt number speculation :D .

I'm not 100% sure I see us still wanting Williams considering the cost & the fact we've probably just reduced his prospective playing time by 50%.

Doig would make sense [at around £4m and fits our profile] but I've seen nothing too concrete on our interest.

Can't see us getting another right footed player so I don't think Williams is likely. Doig would be great though. 

• Like 1