Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

2 hours ago, Cartman said:

Tom Leach says we want a ball carrying CB who can do a job at DM and when we signed Livramento it was said that it wasn't the last purchase with buy back from a big 6 club that we were trying to make.

2 + 2 = 5

Ethan Ampadu?

In light of recent events... Eddie Nketiah?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cartman said:

Tom Leach says we want a ball carrying CB who can do a job at DM and when we signed Livramento it was said that it wasn't the last purchase with buy back from a big 6 club that we were trying to make.

2 + 2 = 5

Ethan Ampadu?

Good shout.

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

‘We lose an important striker who scored a lot of goals and we must split the goals he scored amongst our player, on their shoulder. Three more goals, four more goals from them and they can maybe replace him.

"We will hopefully get two or three more in and I am sure that we will replace him. We must have a look at what striker we need but we have a few alternatives, in Che, Longy, Obafemi and Redmond can play up front."

Gulp 🙁
Nathan Redmond…….fkin seriously Ralph ??

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

‘We lose an important striker who scored a lot of goals and we must split the goals he scored amongst our player, on their shoulder. Three more goals, four more goals from them and they can maybe replace him.

"We will hopefully get two or three more in and I am sure that we will replace him. We must have a look at what striker we need but we have a few alternatives, in Che, Longy, Obafemi and Redmond can play up front."

Gulp 🙁

Would rather Walcott played "up front" than Redmond. 

• Like 2

Whenever Ralph starts talking about Redmond as a striker I get worried. We really need someone with an eye for goal, as we’ve got pace but not really any finishers.

Ampadu is an interesting one. Would have thought he might cost a lot but maybe his star has waned in chelsea’s Eyes after his time at Sheffield utd. I’d personally like to see a proper dm come in rather than a cb who can fill in there, which is my gut feeling on ampadu.

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

So 2 or 3 more (maybe)

- Striker (obviously)

- centre-back / dm (either 1 of each or 1 who can play both)

- Left-back (if I'm being greedy - surely if we wanted Doig, we can afford him now)

If we can keep vesty, bring in Armstrong, Delaney plus competition for perraud then will be a good reinvestment from the ings money.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Gulp 🙁

Imagine a front two of Redmond and Long 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2
  • Sad 3

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Whenever Ralph starts talking about Redmond as a striker I get worried. We really need someone with an eye for goal, as we’ve got pace but not really any finishers.

Ampadu is an interesting one. Would have thought he might cost a lot but maybe his star has waned in chelsea’s Eyes after his time at Sheffield utd. I’d personally like to see a proper dm come in rather than a cb who can fill in there, which is my gut feeling on ampadu.

Tonight was classic Redmond. Did well and got himself into a good position, a decent player slots it into the bottom corner, he took not one but two touches too many and a defender came from miles away to nip it off his toe. No way is he a striker 

5 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Would rather Walcott played "up front" than Redmond. 

What is it with coaches and Redmond? Even Puel came in and tried to tell us he was like 'Henry'. He must look like some sort of prime Henry in training or something, but he's absolutely hopeless when push comes to shove and the pressure is on.

• Like 3

Just now, S-Clarke said:

What is it with coaches and Redmond? Even Puel came in and tried to tell us he was like 'Henry'. He must look like some sort of prime Henry in training or something, but he's absolutely hopeless when push comes to shove and the pressure is on.

He flatters to deceive in e ery respect. He's the one we need to sell, more than Vestergaard (unless he isn't signing).

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I thought he was better this summer, but tonight capped off what I think of him. When he went through late on, he cut inside, instead of going outside and shooting or playing it to Ely, and basically went inside where their defenders were. 

As soon as he cut inside I never thought he would score. Should have laid it off for Ely. 

I sometimes feel Ralph's words reflect a manager who is hiding the reality of how bad the situation really is from us, and is delivering the positive spin generated by the PR team on behalf of the Board whilst knowing it is really BS.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

Just now, badgerx16 said:

I sometimes feel Ralph's words reflect a manager who is hiding the reality of how bad the situation really is from us, and is delivering the positive spin generated by the PR team on behalf of the Board.

That’s exactly what’s he’s doing.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Keep the rebuild going, get Vest out the door and spend the £50m or so on some excellent replacements

If we could guarantee 'excellent' replacements then yes, but we cant. Leaving the Vestergaard situation aside, would like to see two strikers (Armstrong plus one other) as Obafemi could go the other way and Long is...well Long. Its a big risk to rely on a Championship striker to replace Ings' goals/contribution. Hopefully we can pick up another promising striker from Europe to give more depth. Would also like to see Delaney sign, or another DM 

2 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

If we could guarantee 'excellent' replacements then yes, but we cant. Leaving the Vestergaard situation aside, would like to see two strikers (Armstrong plus one other) as Obafemi could go the other way and Long is...well Long. Its a big risk to rely on a Championship striker to replace Ings' goals/contribution. Hopefully we can pick up another promising striker from Europe to give more depth. Would also like to see Delaney sign, or another DM 

Can never guarantee these things, but we had to replace him at some point. Even if he signed a deal this is probably around the peak of his value (we'd be getting more obviously as we could pick our price). Good time to reinvest to be honest.

Edited by TWar

9 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I sometimes feel Ralph's words reflect a manager who is hiding the reality of how bad the situation really is from us, and is delivering the positive spin generated by the PR team on behalf of the Board whilst knowing it is really BS.

Think he’s just aware his job is to build a team. If the alternative is a halfhearted player and Ralph not getting any money to replace him with if he walked for free, his relief at getting this done before the season is understandable.

3 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Not sure why a prolific scorer from the Championship can't be "promising". Does being from Europe make them naturally better than Championship players? What if the promising player from the Championship is European? At least a player from the Championship would already be used to living in this country and would presumably be used to the language etc,

• Like 2

Just now, miserableoldgit said:

Not sure why a prolific scorer from the Championship can't be "promising". Does being from Europe make them naturally better than Championship players? What if the promising player from the Championship is European? At least a player from the Championship would already be used to living in this country and would presumably be used to the language etc,

I remember the meltdown when we signed Jay Rodriguez, he was overpriced apparently.

1 minute ago, miserableoldgit said:

Where did I say Armstrong wasnt promising? He looks like he would be a good addition, but to ask him alone to replace Ings is a big ask imo. Europe was just an example, but think theres better value in those leagues compared to Championship. We're being quoted 20mill for a player with one year left so to chase another english based player would see the Ings money gone in no time

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Think he’s just aware his job is to build a team. If the alternative is a halfhearted player and Ralph not getting any money to replace him with if he walked for free, his relief at getting this done before the season is understandable.

It was the sense that although he mentioned 'working out what kind of striker we need', he seemed to hint that with Adams, Long, Obafemi, and Redmond we already had options. Even should we bring in a new striker, three of those 4 are NOT options to play alongside him. ( I was surprised he didn't include Tella, who certainly is a better bet than Long, Oba, or Redmond ).

Do NOT sign Armstrong. Totally Unproven in the premier league, i m unsure he has the strength and pace to make an impact in the league

Odsonne Edouard is exactly the type of striker we should replace Ings with, has a bit of everything, skill decent pace finesse

2 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Do NOT sign Armstrong. Totally Unproven in the premier league, i m unsure he has the strength and pace to make an impact in the league

Odsonne Edouard is exactly the type of striker we should replace Ings with, has a bit of everything, skill decent pace finesse

Interesting :) 

I will say this about Armstrong - We must be VERY sure he's the one for us with the money we're going to have to pay for him.

Edited by SuperSAINT

Just now, stevy777_x said:

And equally unproven in the premier league. 

You might of course be right but several strikers have made the step up from the Championship.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Don’t sign a striker because he is unproven in the premier league. Instead sign another striker who is unproven in the premier league. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

It was the sense that although he mentioned 'working out what kind of striker we need', he seemed to hint that with Adams, Long, Obafemi, and Redmond we already had options. Even should we bring in a new striker, three of those 4 are NOT options to play alongside him. ( I was surprised he didn't include Tella, who certainly is a better bet than Long, Oba, or Redmond ).

People need to stop taking everything Ralph says as gospel. He's just reeled off a few players to give them encouragement

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Are you aware how this is nonsense?

You dismiss Armstrong for being unproven but.. both Armstrong and Edouard are unproven in the Premier League.

If anything Armstrong is current playing in a far superior league. The Championship is a long way above the Scottish top flight for quality.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Both Armstrong and Edouard are unproven in the Premier League.

If anything Armstrong is current playing in a far superior league. The Championship is a long way above the Scottish top flight for quality.

Two people already made that point to him but why not go for the hattrick. 😜

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Both Armstrong and Edouard are unproven in the Premier League.

What he said does actually make sense. He's evaluated both players based on their attributes, and given doubts over Armstrong's attributes, it is particularly relevant that he is unproven in the Premier League.

2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

What he said does actually make sense. He's evaluated both players based on their attributes, and given doubts over Armstrong's attributes, it is particularly relevant that he is unproven in the Premier League.

He isn't being consistent in his argument. You can't dismiss one player for not having a certain level of experience and then suggest an alternative who is playing at an even lower level of football.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Based on highlights (which is all I've seen of either) Edouard looks to have attributes the attack is currently missing (power, height, bit of pace), that Armstrong wouldn't bring. We'd have more options of how to play with Edouard, so if those were the only two options on the table, I'd go with him.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He isn't being consistent in his argument. You can't dismiss one player for not having a certain level of experience and then suggest an alternative who is playing at an even lower level of football.

Yes you can, because he is more confident that Edouard will make the step up based on his physical attributes

If we end up losing out to Norwich then just shows the level of our ambition and the level of incompetence at the club. The ings deal happened rapidly but I’d imagine it’s been drawn up for a week or so already. To be fair it’s decent money for a player who’s chances of playing a full season are not that high. But we’ll be considerably weaker as a result in my opinion , no matter who comes in, if any. Who knows what Gao will do with the money, I wouldn’t be surprised if not all the money is spent. I just can’t help thinking we’re kick off from where we ended last season, it’s hard to see any positives at the moment. Club needs a new owner.

5 minutes ago, madge said:

If we end up losing out to Norwich then just shows the level of our ambition and the level of incompetence at the club. The ings deal happened rapidly but I’d imagine it’s been drawn up for a week or so already. To be fair it’s decent money for a player who’s chances of playing a full season are not that high. But we’ll be considerably weaker as a result in my opinion , no matter who comes in, if any. Who knows what Gao will do with the money, I wouldn’t be surprised if not all the money is spent. I just can’t help thinking we’re kick off from where we ended last season, it’s hard to see any positives at the moment. Club needs a new owner.

It really doesn't; it just shows they were prepared to spend more than we were.  Money talks.

I don’t think we’re lacking pace - Adams, Tella, Obafemi, Walcott and to a lesser extent Redmond and Armstrong all bring that in attacking areas. But pace only gets you so far, so if one of Edouard and Armstrong is quick and one is a good finisher, i’d rather have the good finisher please.