Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

4 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

Abraham been a real threat\handful every time I've watch him play. 

Only 23 years old

46 league goals in 93 games over the last 3 seasons, pretty much a goal every other game, for comparison Ings is 41 in 91 so very similar record. 

25 of those goals were in the Championship, so it isn't really a like for like comparison.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Arsenal want £35-40M for Abrahams and he supposedly want £130,000 a week.  If it was subsidised loan maybe - but Chelsea want to sell him.  Its  not going to happen - hew will probably end up at Arsenal.

I think it will be Armstrong and then someone like Hoppe or Nketiah to replace Long/Obafemi.

I can see up getting Ethan Amapdu to cover centre back and defensive midfield - as others have said he fits the bill as a player from one of the big six on loan or with a buy-back option - and there is no real pathway for him at Chelsea.

I fully expect Vestergaard to go before the transfer window closes. Question is who do we replace him with.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Josh Doig and Matt Grimes end up at Saints to provide some cover and competition either.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Arsenal want £35-40M for Abrahams and he supposedly want £130,000 a week.  If it was subsidised loan maybe - but Chelsea want to sell him.  Its  not going to happen - hew will probably end up at Arsenal.

I think it will be Armstrong and then someone like Hoppe or Nketiah to replace Long/Obafemi.

I can see up getting Ethan Amapdu to cover centre back and defensive midfield - as others have said he fits the bill as a player from one of the big six on loan or with a buy-back option - and there is no real pathway for him at Chelsea.

I fully expect Vestergaard to go before the transfer window closes. Question is who do we replace him with.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Josh Doig and Matt Grimes end up at Saints to provide some cover and competition either.

What’s it got to do with Arsenal, not sure why they’re wanting money from lil’ Tammy. 

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The buck stops with Ralph. If he wanted to he could spend some of the Ings money & saved wages on a keeper. If he thinks we can make & mend that’s down to him. 

I may be wrong but I think Ralph (and Managers generally) supply a wish list to those in charge of the finances and they, with the help of recruitment, find affordable players to meet Mangers requirements.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Our defence was absolutely awful last year. Losing vestergaard for a decent fee may help us to improve it. I'd sell him personally. 

Me too but then again DT has rubber bed sheets.

Start of last season we would all have driven him anywhere. We conceded 68 goals so don’t get the bed wetting

3 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I'm not sure we will get £35m for Jannick, think it will be £18-20m, somewhere around there.

LOL, £35m? Who thinks we'll get that?

We'll get £20m tops.  We should get rid if he wont sign though. 

Tammy A would be the perfect Ings replacement. I doubt we’ll have the money to get it done though.

Don’t think we’ll be doing any GK business - we’ve got the best 2 we could hope for given where we’re going in the league (possible relegation fodder).

We really need an Ings replacement and someone as good as Armstrong to bolster midfield - Redmond and Elynonousey fill me with dread.

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

LOL, £35m? Who thinks we'll get that?

We'll get £20m tops.  We should get rid if he wont sign though. 

20 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'd take £25m/£30m for him tbh. Salisu takes his place, Bednarek or Stephens step up. Simeu the future.

Ideally we bring in someone who is better than both Bednarek and Stephens.

£60 odd million would really help us improve the squad.

There you go, although to be fair he didnt say we would get it, more about taking it, which we all would!

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

Ralph has mentioned we want a CB who can also play as a #6.

One name springs to mind that totally fits to our usual signing principles...Ethan Ampadu.

- Plays both of those positions

- 25 apps for Sheff Utd last season

- 26 caps for Wales

- Still only 20yo

Came on as a sub in Chelsea's last friendly but surely would be available on a loan with option or a permanent move with a buyback option for Chelsea.

Needs a longer term home as unlikely to get many minutes for Chelsea but is still a very highly rated player.

Absolute shite for club and country last season.

Surprised he's still only 20, though - seems to have been around quite a while.

There's a Red Bull link, for those that like to read too much into that.

I'd take a loan to make up the numbers, but I wouldn't fancy him as a starter ahead of any of our current CBs or sixes.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

WHU don't have a great track record in taking Centre Backs from us if we think of Man United-bound Jose Fonte (very much the Ings of his day) and poor old Richard Hall.

Vestergaard going for decent money i am incredibly comfortable about, if it allows us to roll the dice on a replacement.

People pissing their pants about departures from a defence that were ropey as fuck last year I really don't understand.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Our defence was absolutely awful last year. Losing vestergaard for a decent fee may help us to improve it. I'd sell him personally. 

Or... it was made to look awful by:  Bertrand's feeble efforts, Romeus absence, sendings of, an injury crisis, poor midfield play, poor forward play - recycling the ball back through defence continually. Replace the RB, which we have, provide LB cover, which we have, have our best DM back, which we have, I don't think its too bad. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

If we can sell Ings in the same situation, then we can sell Vestergaard, depending on there being offers. Three good months in three years here. His diagonal balls will be the biggest loss.

Agreed. Which, as a CB, shouldn't really be your best attribute.

A quote from a Blackburn fan on Armstrong -

‘Armstrong is quick, and when playing with confidence is a handful - very good at pressing, but he won’t replace Ings from a shot conversion rate unless he’s been working on his finishing over the summer’

sounds like another Che Adam’s to me.

3 minutes ago, ozzmeister said:

A quote from a Blackburn fan on Armstrong -

‘Armstrong is quick, and when playing with confidence is a handful - very good at pressing, but he won’t replace Ings from a shot conversion rate unless he’s been working on his finishing over the summer’

sounds like another Che Adam’s to me.

Friend of mine who supports them said the same, said he misses an awful lot of chances. 

52 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hits a cracking cross field pass to KWP and brings the ball out to add another body in midfield........but yeah, I agree with you on this. Freezes at the wrong moments, capable of playing us into trouble and his positional sense is appalling. A threat also at set pieces,  but hes there to defend first and foremost and he feels like a liability a lot of the. Just my opinion obvs.

28 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

WHU don't have a great track record in taking Centre Backs from us if we think of Man United-bound Jose Fonte (very much the Ings of his day) and poor old Richard Hall.

Vestergaard going for decent money i am incredibly comfortable about, if it allows us to roll the dice on a replacement.

People pissing their pants about departures from a defence that were ropey as fuck last year I really don't understand.

I dont think anybody on here is pissing their pants about losing anybody other than KWP from last season's back four. That might be the one thing everyone on here agrees on 😂

• Like 1

The fact that nearly all of us are quite happy about Vestergaard being sold tells you everything you need to know about him. He has improved but was an integral part of a dismal defence last year. Some of that was iffy tactics but he has to take some responsibility. If his heart is not with Saints, then say thank you and get rid asap. If they get £20 million for him I will be amazed, possibly Leicester will be forced to pay that but doubt anybody else has the funds.

I think he's daft, he should sign a contract and back himself to impress enough to earn a big move. If he goes to Leicester he'll be 3rd choice as soon as their regular pairing are back. Very different situation to Ings as we have cover in the short term and can afford to be choosy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Sky reporting Palace in advanced talks with Armstrong…

If that goes through there's a guy on Twitter whose ITK credentials are going through the roof - called Ings and this one on the same day.

Could still be a lucky bullshitter but quite a strong days work.

17 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Sky reporting Palace in advanced talks with Armstrong…

Is it unreasonable to think that Armstrong was our target on the basis that Ings would possibly stay until the end of his contract?  Am hoping we've now upgraded our search to a more substantial signing rather than assuming the worst (that we've messed the transfer up).

6 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

yes, and that Saints are "looking at other options". Doesn't say what/who they are.

Surely we'd have finalised the Armstrong deal before the Ings sale, if we really wanted him? No good reason not to.

So maybe there's another out of the blue, Tino style signing on the way?

Just now, BARCELONASAINT said:

I do hope this is absolute rubbish because he's an awful striker!!!

RB Leipzig striker Alexander Sørloth is set to be on his way out of the Red Bull Arena, with Premier League side Southampton showing an interest.

You haven't linked to the source. I'd guess it is a rehash of the Athletic article which said he was an option, not that he is definitely signing.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

The idea of a football club signing a player from another football club and none of it having anything to do with Saints is just… oh I’m sorry I can hardly breathe.

What do you mean it has nothing to do with saints? Clearly it does if our interest in him is true. If he’s a top target of ours, we need to be doing everything we can to persuade him to sign. 

Again, we’d be either not able to offer as much money or palace are a better option than us (wouldn’t disagree with that, building a good young team And I think the manager will do well). 

4 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

So let me get this straight - people moaned that they didnt want Adam Armstrong, and are now pissed off we arent getting Adam Armstrong.

Ok.  Be back later to see who we dont want as Adam Armstrong's replacement...

Who’s pissed off?