Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

On 08/07/2021 at 14:09, CB Fry said:

We are three weeks away from Danny Ings sat in a press conference saying "yes, well the manager and the chairman are very clear that the club expects to be in the Champions League regularly in the future so I know I am joining a great club with huge ambition to play at the highest level".

Just after his grinning photoshoot holding up an Everton/Spurs/Villa shirt.

Well, this is going to happen one week later than I anticipated but all in all I'm quite pleased with this prediction.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SKD said:

It’s a stupid comparison. Many players have scored a hat full in the championship and not in the premier league and vice versa. 

Ings played at Liverpool, clearly improved there and came to us and basically kept us up the last 2 seasons. 

It’s a huge downgrade, let’s not try and dress it up any other way. 

I actually feel for the lad, I’ve given him a bashing. I don’t think he’s a bad signing, just not a good enough replacement. 

we need him And another. Do we have £ to do so..? I doubt it. 

Er what? 

It's a fair comparison because Ings played in the PL BEFORE he went to Liverpool. The season after his last in the Championship he scored 11 in 35 in the PL for a relegated Burnley, also got an England cap AND got a move to Liverpool. 

How the fuck he supposedly 'improved' at Liverpool is beyond me when he had two serious injuries and barely played in 3 years, he might have learnt some new injury recovery techniques but that is about it. 

If he has improved anywhere it was here under Ralph, but very clearly he came out of a good season in the championship into the PL and played well. As more recently have players like Maddison, Watkins, Ebre Eze, even Che Adams has done alright.  The Championship is a strong and high quality league these days, the depth in quality is likely better than leagues like the Eredivisie, Portuguese top league, Scotland etc. mainly because Championship clubs can pay high wages and half of them are living of PL parachute payments. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Whilst almost certainly never going to happen in a million years, if we signed Armstrong and Abraham i’d probably pass out. Sorloth would be an interesting one, shite for Palace but it’s a bit of a strikers graveyard - was amazing in his loan spell in Turkey which meant Leipzig signing him, and offers a big focal point which Ralph always liked in the past and that we’ve missed since Lambert/Pelle.

4 minutes ago, Nolan said:

reports said Abraham was already on £80,000 a week.

I cant see us paying his wage.

We offered ings over 100k a week. Wages aren’t / shouldn’t be an issue. 

Transfer fee and convincing him to join may be however. 

10 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Armstrong I feel is inevitable now, but I do think we'll use Obafemi as part of the deal to keep costs down. That means we'll have Adams, Armstrong, Tella (who is versatile and can be played as AM) and Long as our strikers. Obviously Long isn't favoured any more so he'll be off, and we still need to bring one more striker in.

Sorloth doesn't fill me with confidence after his Palace spell, but as a target man he would give us something different that the other 3 could play off of. 

I don't think we'll sign Tammy Abraham, though I think he would be a fantastic signing for us. We simply couldn't afford him if Chelsea aren't prepared to loan him out.

What other strikers have we been linked with in the last couple of years? Darwin Nunez is one and Brighton are interested but I think he'd be out of our price range after recent comments by Benfica. I know Alexander Mitrovic wants out at Fulham - I'd take him.

I also think we may see Vestergaard go this summer, so we'll have money to replace him with and probably a bit extra to use on top of that.

Remember we also have two loan spaces we can fill...

8 hours ago, SKD said:

Ings played at Liverpool, clearly improved there and came to us and basically kept us up the last 2 seasons. 

The Liverpool coaching staff still speak today of the huge improvements made by Danny Ings in his 14 games across four years. So much improvement.

Really a bit strange that Liverpool sign a player for millions, that player then improves but despite this improvement the outcome is that Liverpool sell that player to a club in the relegation fight.

Kinda weird really, aint it?

Edited by CB Fry

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The Liverpool coaching staff still speak today of the huge improvements made by Danny Ings in his 14 games across four years. So much improvement.

Really a bit weird that Liverpool sign a player for millions, that player then improves but despite this improvement the outcome is that Liverpool sell that player to a club in the relegation fight.

Kinda weird really, aint it?

No think that playing with better (world class) players day in day out, naturally improves players then, nah?

Also, you do realise they signed him for something like 5m and then sold him for 20….

Edited by SKD

7 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Sorloth doesn't fill me with confidence after his Palace spell, but as a target man he would give us something different that the other 3 could play off of. 

A Player of 6' 4" would be handy in the box, especially if Vestergaard goes. 

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

No think that playing with better players day in day out, naturally improves players then, nah?

Also, you do realise they signed him for something like 5m and then sold him for 20….

How much day-in, day-out playing was Ings doing during the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons?

Absolutely full of shit.

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

Is Vest going, I keep seeing it on here, but can't say I've heard much outside this forum?

well a new contract hasn't been announced for him, he has one year left. Can we afford to let his contract expire?

5 minutes ago, Nolan said:

well a new contract hasn't been announced for him, he has one year left. Can we afford to let his contract expire?

I don't know what the thinking is, I was just wondered if you or anyone else knew something I didn't.

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

16 appearances in two years at palace. No goals. Sounds perfect!

No one scores at Palace, in Hodgson’s tenure.  24 in 34 for Trabzonspor in Turkey on loan meant Leipzig signed him for £20mil so he’s spent a year playing in the CL and Bundesliga, and done alright.

3 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

No one scores at Palace, in Hodgson’s tenure.  24 in 34 for Trabzonspor in Turkey on loan meant Leipzig signed him for £20mil so he’s spent a year playing in the CL and Bundesliga, and done alright.

5 goals in 34 appearances for RB Leipzig.  Not sure how many of them were sub appearances though.

3 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Not taking the piss here, but people were excusing Adams goal return for being a ‘second striker’. Sounds Like this bloke is another target man type.. is he what we need, if we already have that in Adams? Genuinely have never heard of him so don’t know. 

Pipedream says Armstrong and Tammy. 

Realistically I’d like Us to get Eduoard and Armstrong. 

• Like 1

Profiling this striker is essential, Ralph needs to lead on this signing rather than Crocker/Blackbox. 

Ings was much more than just our top goal scorer and this is where any ‘moneyball’ approach won’t work. Ings ability to combine on the edge of the 18 yard as well as the midfield/attacking third is a significant way we play. He was also incredibly effecting during attacking transitions. Very good at stealing possession, delaying play and forcing errors.

It’s not just about replacing goals, other variables such as character and conduct are clearly essential to Ralph.

The players linked so far are a mix of profiles, Sorloth & Abraham in comparison to Armstrong and then Madueke are very different. 

Then the financial package, the market is over the odds at the moment. 95% of the fees are well inflated, we will have to do very well get a striker on a financial package that presents a ‘good deal’. 

I think personally, we’ll move for Armstrong if wanting to replace Ings ‘like for like’. Still not convinced Edouard is out of the picture. 

Edited by Monk

6 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Part of me is thinking that the Villa announcement had been too quick for us to get some replacement players in. 
Knowing now how desperate we are for a striker could put an extra few million on our targets head.

That doesn't really make sense as Saints can decide when to sell the player, the player's registration has been transferred so Saints clearly happy for the deal to be completed when it was.

1 minute ago, Pilchards said:

Part of me is thinking that the Villa announcement had been too quick for us to get some replacement players in. 
Knowing now how desperate we are for a striker could put an extra few million on our targets head.

The club would have been lining up replacements ever since Ings turned down the contract offer, i'm sure that the club would have already been holding talks with some players and they may be in advanced talks with them.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

29 minutes ago, SKD said:

Not taking the piss here, but people were excusing Adams goal return for being a ‘second striker’. Sounds Like this bloke is another target man type.. is he what we need, if we already have that in Adams? Genuinely have never heard of him so don’t know. 

Pipedream says Armstrong and Tammy. 

Realistically I’d like Us to get Eduoard and Armstrong. 

I wouldn’t be happy with Sorloth as the Ings replacement, because as you say, we already have Adams who does everything but score regularly. My hope would be any interest in Sorloth is in addition to Armstrong, giving us Adams, Armstrong, Sorloth, Tella as our striking options whilst Obafemi and Long leave. I think that’s a pretty good mix of styles personally.

24 minutes ago, Monk said:

Profiling this striker is essential, Ralph needs to lead on this signing rather than Crocker/Blackbox. 

Ings was much more than just our top goal scorer and this is where any ‘moneyball’ approach won’t work. Ings ability to combine on the edge of the 18 yard as well as the midfield/attacking third is a significant way we play. He was also incredibly effecting during attacking transitions. Very good at stealing possession, delaying play and forcing errors.

It’s not just about replacing goals, other variables such as character and conduct are clearly essential to Ralph.

The players linked so far are a mix of profiles, Sorloth & Abraham in comparison to Armstrong and then Madueke are very different. 

Then the financial package, the market is over the odds at the moment. 95% of the fees are well inflated, we will have to do very well get a striker on a financial package that presents a ‘good deal’. 

I think personally, we’ll move for Armstrong if wanting to replace Ings ‘like for like’. Still not convinced Edouard is out of the picture. 

In terms of profile of player and style of play Armstrong fits closest with Ings IMO, has played out wide I think and is used to cutting in (which Ings has scored goals from for us before and our strikers tend to drift wide to create space for the no. 10s), seems to have good work rate and harries defenders so should suit the press, overall looks a very busy bustling sort of player with good movement and good finishing from both feet. Some of the goals he scored last year on the half turn or cutting in look very Ings like. 

Sorloth is a target man, which Ralph has used effectively before at Leipzig, Poulsen did that job with Werner the out and striker running in behind, but we don't really have that player. 

Armstrong and someone like Sorloth or Abraham might be able to create that sort of combo, but the target man on his own leaves either Long or Adams as the 'Werner' and neither is really that player. 

Just now, tajjuk said:

In terms of profile of player and style of play Armstrong fits closest with Ings IMO, has played out wide I think and is used to cutting in (which Ings has scored goals from for us before and our strikers tend to drift wide to create space for the no. 10s), seems to have good work rate and harries defenders so should suit the press, overall looks a very busy bustling sort of player with good movement and good finishing from both feet. Some of the goals he scored last year on the half turn or cutting in look very Ings like. 

Sorloth is a target man, which Ralph has used effectively before at Leipzig, Poulsen did that job with Werner the out and striker running in behind, but we don't really have that player. 

Armstrong and someone like Sorloth or Abraham might be able to create that sort of combo, but the target man on his own leaves either Long or Adams as the 'Werner' and neither is really that player. 

In fairness Adams scored 3 goals more than Werner in the Prem last season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Premier League Football GIF by Southampton FC

I mean maybe, he's got the pace but I am not sure there is much evidence of the goalscoring yet. 

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

In fairness Adams scored 3 goals more than Werner in the Prem last season.

Yeh but Werners lack of ability in front of goal last year basically became a meme, but I more meant in style of play. I like Che, I think he's decent and improving, I also back him to get maybe 10-11 goals this year in the league, but he's not a natural finisher he rushes a lot of chances and needs to get more composed, plus he doesn't have lightning pace in behind and seems actually best dropping off, picking passes and bringing people in. 

I mean people criticise the 'second striker' tag as an excuse for his lack of goals, but that is what he is, he's a striker who drops into space and brings people into play more than a genuine runs in behind on the last shoulder sort of player. 

Armstrong looks like more that sort of player, he looks Vardy like to me if anything. 

Sorloth is a Heskey, he's the kind of striker that I think the team would play better around and would get the best out of other people, but aside one season in the Turkish league he's never scored a lot of goals. 

80 in 232 is his career record, with 33 of those coming in one season in the Turkish league and another 23 coming in the Danish/Norweigan leagues.

His record in the Bundesliga and PL is 5 goals in 45 games, now a lot of those might be substitute appearances, and the guy is only 25 so still might improve, and maybe whatever happened in Turkey can be replicated to get the best out of him, you never know sometimes players work very well in certain set ups and not in others. But that is a lot of ifs going on.

Edited by tajjuk

44 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Isn’t Madueke a winger?

If we sign Madueke that would be a really good deal done. Dutch media reporting Borussia Dortmund and Spurs are after his signature. Madueke has been amazing for PSV in the build up to the coming season and expectations are high for him this season. 

Someone at Blackburn telling porkies to Nixon to drive price up before our inevitable bid? Or maybe pinkun is fibbing to make the gazump more covert. Wonder if rumoured Palace interest is similar espionage. 

7 minutes ago, Appy said:

I reckon we’ll see a Carrillo type buy come in towards the end of the window. Miss out on our targets and panic buy some absolute clown for massively over the odds. 

• Haha 2

I can’t believe how relaxed people are about our goalkeeper situation. We need someone decent in nets, we’ve clearly got some dough from the Ings deal so not getting someone else in nets is down to Ralph’s priorities. What’s the point in signing a 15 a season goal scorer if lurch & McCarthy are going to chuck 12 in at the other end? 

• Like 1