Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

13 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/08/02/palace-delaney/

not exactly young, but proven.

I’d take him …having some experience with our younger players will be priceless.. he had a good Euros so at that price definitely worth it ..jwp Romeu and diallo with Delaney would be a good midfield so good business 👍🏻

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

To be fair this is a rumour that just won't go away. There must be something in it.

I wonder if there's a potential for a loan deal there as the window creeps to the end?

Also wonder if it’s lined up to replace JWP today, mate of mine spoke to him today and he seemed to think it’s in the clubs hands, he doesn’t want to leave. 

9 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Also wonder if it’s lined up to replace JWP today, mate of mine spoke to him today and he seemed to think it’s in the clubs hands, he doesn’t want to leave. 

If he doesn't want to leave then it is not in the club's hand as it would already be settled. The club can't force him to sign a contract for another club.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If he doesn't want to leave then it is not in the club's hand as it would already be settled. The club can't force him to sign a contract for another club.

That depends if the club needs the money…if the club accepts a bid then I think it’s difficult for him to stay…

Personally I think he stays regardless, just passing on info. 

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

That depends if the club needs the money…if the club accepts a bid then I think it’s difficult for him to stay…

Personally I think he stays regardless, just passing on info. 

If he wants to stay how would they get him to sign for another club? It is upto him, not the club. They aren't going to stop playing him for the next 4 years if he refuses to leave.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If he wants to stay how would they get him to sign for another club? It is upto him, not the club. They aren't going to stop playing him for the next 4 years if he refuses to leave.

I don’t need you to believe me, for someone who lives on FM you do say some odd things. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

When was the truly last signing anyone was excited by before being inevitably let down? I can only think of the hype around Rudi Skacel at the time. It’s been a while that’s for sure, maybe Rickie Lambert but I remember thinking that Skacel was to be the undiscovered Maradona.

Forgot to mention Augustine Delgado. Hype around him also, especially when he scored against Man Utd. Again to be let down, mainly by injuries though.

Edited by Warriorsaint

2 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

When was the truly last signing anyone was excited by before being inevitably let down? I can only think of the hype around Rudi Skacel at the time. It’s been a while that’s for sure, maybe Rickie Lambert but I remember thinking that Skacel was to be the undiscovered Maradona.

Gaston ramirez. 

• Like 1

Just now, Warriorsaint said:

Without a doubt - Gaston Ramirez. 

Just promoted, signed a young South American talent being tracked by numerous top clubs - starred in the 2012 Olympics etc. It was exciting, it was a big statement at the time that we meant business.

But it just never happened. Apart from that game against Villa. 😅

Other than that in recent times....could probably say Osvaldo as well, we'd just signed a Roma first team player....Italian international. Clearly had all the talent but nothing up top.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

I asked a reasonable question. You didn't answer it. 

I'll answer it on his behalf.

The club accepts a bid, demonstrating to the the player that he's no longer wanted. That forces the players hand. Of course, the player can still stay, but in reality, his pride won't allow it, he doesn't want to be where he is not wanted (who does?) and he thus leaves. It's other side of the coin to a player going on strike. In that circumstance the club can dig their heals in, but in reality you cant keep an unhappy player, so you end up selling.

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'll answer it on his behalf.

The club accepts a bid, demonstrating to the the player that he's no longer wanted. That forces the players hand. Of course, the player can still stay, but in reality, his pride won't allow it, he doesn't want to be where he is not wanted (who does?) and he thus leaves. It's other side of the coin to a player going on strike. In that circumstance the club can dig their heals in, but in reality you cant keep an unhappy player, so you end up selling.

That may work in the case of a fringe player and he'd get the message. However it doesn't when the player in question is one of your best players and captain. If he refuses to leave then do you really think the manager would not play him in the team?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

That may work in the case of a fringe player and he'd get the message. However it doesn't when the player in question is one of your best players and captain. If he refuses to leave then do you really think the manager would not play him in the team?

Who said anything about the manager not playing him ?

8 hours ago, Stu Man Do said:

I can see this happening for us, even if it means Obafemi heads in the opposite direction. Armstrong has one year left on his contract and they aren't going to want to see him leave next summer for nothing, nor IMO would we be willing to wait a year when he'll have plenty of admirers as a good, mid-20s striker on a Bosman. There's a deal to be done here IMO, and we will be stronger for it, although we need to make sure we have a sell on clause for Obafemi. I guess we're in a similar situation with Ings, although nobody has made concrete enquiries for him yet.

According to the article, Armstrong hasn't scored in any pre-season friendlies, so maybe he's not putting the effort in with views to a move. Either way if it happens, I hope it happens in the next couple of weeks. We don't want him starting the season well for Blackburn and other clubs becoming interested.

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

I can see this happening for us, even if it means Obafemi heads in the opposite direction. Armstrong has one year left on his contract and they aren't going to want to see him leave next summer for nothing, nor IMO would we be willing to wait a year when he'll have plenty of admirers as a good, mid-20s striker on a Bosman. There's a deal to be done here IMO, and we will be stronger for it, although we need to make sure we have a sell on clause for Obafemi. I guess we're in a similar situation with Ings, although nobody has made concrete enquiries for him yet.

According to the article, Armstrong hasn't scored in any pre-season friendlies, so maybe he's not putting the effort in with views to a move. Either way if it happens, I hope it happens in the next couple of weeks. We don't want him starting the season well for Blackburn and other clubs becoming interested.

I’ve looked at a Blackburn forum and they are not happy with him.

He's suddenly become a poor player but in fact his mind is elsewhere. Maybe it’s his way of saying I want a move otherwise I will play shit.

Bit like some of our strikers in the past :)

PS as I can only post 3 times.

Will Ferry is out on loan which must suggest we have a new left back coming in as cover plus for the No 3 shirt.

Edited by Pilchards

4 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I’ve looked at a Blackburn forum and they are not happy with him.

He's suddenly become a poor player but in fact his mind is elsewhere. Maybe it’s his way of saying I want a move otherwise I will play shit.

Bit like some of our strikers in the past :)

In that case do we really want a player with that attitude? He could do it to us in the future.

1 minute ago, rooney said:

In that case do we really want a player with that attitude? He could do it to us in the future.

In fairness to him, I think most people lose their edge when their heart is set on something else. Doesn't mean he's isn't trying IMO.

This is why it's important to sort Ing's future out too, I don't think the current situation is good for either party so he needs to sign up or move on (if there's a buyer).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

In fairness to him, I think most people lose their edge when their heart is set on something else. Doesn't mean he's isn't trying IMO.

This is why it's important to sort Ing's future out too, I don't think the current situation is good for either party so he needs to sign up or move on (if there's a buyer).

True. Ings hasn’t exactly been banging them in this preseason…

• Like 1

Think the whole don’t mention we’re interested in a striker/Armstrong might be a little power play. The Obafemi/Armstrong deal is there to be done but the longer we wait and more we act like we can do without the closer to the deadline it gets and the team with the more pressing need for the cash (Blackburn) will have a decision to make. 

10 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Have you ever given notice on a job?

In your last weeks can you honestly say you gave 100%?

Unless i hate the job, why would you give less? You're either a hard worker who cares about his colleagues, or a lazy tosser who's taking the piss. Doesn't change until maybe the last afternoon etc. when everything is done 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Just now, SaintBitterne said:

"Ralph Hasenhuttl has confirmed Southampton are still in the market for a centre-back and a defensive midfielder. A player who can play both positions ‘would help’. "

Delaney please :)

Phil Jones name all over that!

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, SaintBitterne said:

"Ralph Hasenhuttl has confirmed Southampton are still in the market for a centre-back and a defensive midfielder. A player who can play both positions ‘would help’. "

Delaney please :)

That suggests JV is definitely on his way doesn't it?

14 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Yes

Same here. 
I give everything until the very last minute. Whether i m staying or going it isjust my nature.

it will leave a very good mark on my management and my employer. Its a small world out there and you might run into the same people in the future

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

That suggests JV is definitely on his way doesn't it?

Probably yeah. To be honest I think JV is nailed on to leave. We might run down Ings' contract as he's so important but no chance we do that with two players imo

11 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Same here. 
I give everything until the very last minute. Whether i m staying or going it isjust my nature.

it will leave a very good mark on my management and my employer. Its a small world out there and you might run into the same people in the future

Spot on.

26 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Same here. 

Exactly that, don't burn bridges and keep your reputation in tact.

Giving your all? depends on circumstances.

I was made redundant in 1982 and spent my last month's notice wandering around the Soton Uni campus with a clipboard which seemed to deflect any questions on what the flip I might be doing, which was bugger all.

Ironically the Uni (spured on by panic during Thatcher's fund cutting) got all the mechanics of dumping me wrong, ended up having to pay £8000+ (a lot of money in 1982) to make me go which did make me feel slightly guilty (for about 30secs). Guess I'm just a bad man.

Footy players on the whole will always 'look' bad as being paid big dollops of dosh rarely gains you sympathy as you try to get even more enormous dollops elsewhere.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Because we don’t have a lot of options.

That really is flawed as Dan outlines...

1 minute ago, Danbert said:

So, what you're saying is we gave him a new contract because we didn't have a lot of options, but we're looking to bring in a replacement.