Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

3 hours ago, SKD said:

I haven’t seen him (Armstrong) play. From clips, he looks to be a true number 9 and comes alive in the box - almost opposite of Adams funny enough. 

Personally, I wouldn’t look at goals alone as a sign of potential success. It could be that he was playing in a team who were sticking them On a plate for him (he won’t get that here). 

As, I think you, have previously said, there is a big Gap between the PL and Championship. As shown by Redmond ripping apart a championship defence in Bournemouth. 

Physically, he looks pretty short. Will he be strong enough for the league? Can he create a chance from nothing? 

If we’re going into next season relying on Adams and Armstrong to score enough to keep us up, imo, we’re fucked (especially given we get no goals from Our midfield either). 

Negative Nancy alert!!!

Never seen him play yet you can make an educated opinion on him?? When you do watch a player or  team, like Saints hopefully, your opinion is we are fucked? Imo your opinions are fucked. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, SKD said:

It’s not convenience at all. His goal return was a solid contribution last season.

We know he’s very good at free kicks. But to bank on them is foolish. 

We don't bank on any one thing really. JWP pitches in but so does Che, Ings, and Stuart Armstrong. We get a decent number from a combination of Walcott and Redmond too, and Tella should step up. Plus JWP ability from setpieces and corners means we get a good number from our CB's too heading in goals. 

I'd like to sign Armstrong, or a quality attacking mid like Danjuma but when you look at the goal scoring numbers of players at Wolves, Brighton, Burnley, Palace (who all survived comfortably) you realise we actually do have a good number of goals in our side and probably won't be relegated even if Ings' replacement does flop and only get 5 or so.

Edited by TWar

38 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Negative Nancy alert!!!

Never seen him play yet you can make an educated opinion on him?? When you do watch a player or  team, like Saints hopefully, your opinion is we are fucked? Imo your opinions are fucked. 

Yet many others who haven’t watched him, are making a judgement that he’ll be perfect and that’s okay…? 

Football is a game of opinions. In mine, I don’t think he’ll be good enough and/or a good fit for us. 

Time will tell, let’s hope i’m wrong. 

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

1) Yet many others who haven’t watched him, are making a judgement that he’ll be perfect and that’s okay…? 

Football is a game of opinions. In mine, 2) I don’t think he’ll be good enough and/or a good fit for us. 

1) Who said that?

2) You admit you haven't seen him play... Yet have written him off already. Can you not see the issue/conflict between those two things?

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

1) Who said that?

2) You admit you haven't seen him play... Yet have written him off already. Can you not see the issue/conflict between those two things?

1) TWar for one has said it’d be an ‘exciting’ signing. Many others seemingly are excited by the thought of getting him. 

2) Possibly, but we’ve also had people wet their pants over YouTube videos and articles on some ‘insane’ incomings without watching them Play. No difference really? 

Edited by SKD

8 minutes ago, SKD said:

1) TWar for one has said it’d be an ‘exciting’ signing. Many others seemingly are excited by the thought of getting him.  

Little difference between calling someone an exciting signing and saying they "will be perfect". Don't think any player ever is guaranteed to be perfect, does perfection even exist? Who knows? Question for the philosophers.

Edited by TWar

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Little difference between calling someone an exciting signing and saying they "will be perfect". Don't think any player ever is guaranteed to be perfect, does perfection even exist? Who knows? Question for the philosophers.

I'm loving how much you 'trigger' certain posters. It's like moth to a flame. Keep up the good work. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Nixon is very good in that region (as Turkish & Erwin said) and WAY back he was repeatedly saying we wanted Ings when nobody else was.

yes thats true about Ings as well, he was all over that one.

Amusingly despite being spot on many times i remember one time he put a negative tweet on about saints not being able to decide what player they wanted and some on here were incandescent with rage about what would nixon know. It was highly amusing. 

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

Fair point. 

Some Think he’ll be a good signing, some think he’ll Be a shit signing. The only thing that we can agree on is that judgements have been made on YouTube videos without watching him. 

I guess football is a game of opinions.

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not due to the quality of our first choice XI... it is largely due to our lack of squad depth in some areas screwing us.

Im surprised at you for saying that, its a bit of a myth isnt it ? At the end of last season everyone bar Romeu was back yet we were still poor and still losing.

Unless you are saying that Romeu makes ALL the difference but as good as I think he is thats not the case.   

Edited by beatlesaint

16 minutes ago, TWar said:

Do yourself a favour fella and stick Ducky, SKD, Turkish and MLG on ignore. It has greatly improved my forum experience :)

Edited by igsey
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Im surprised at you for saying that, its a bit of a myth isnt it ? At the end of last season everyone bar Romeu was back yet we were still poor and still losing.

Unless you are saying that Romeu makes ALL the difference but as good as I think he is thats not the case.   

Actually, I think a fit and on-form Romeu does make all the difference to us. He gives us something that none of our other midfielders do. He adds some bite and gives an extra layer of protection to the back 4 that neither JWP or Diallo are capable of. It's no coincidence that our collapse in form correlated to him being out.

Also bear in mind the fatigue levels towards the end of last season. The intensity of the schedule, combined with the injuries we had to endure and the lack of access to the recovery facilities at Staplewood, meant we couldn't rest players when we clearly needed to, and it took its toll. The players returning from injury were thrown straight back into the team and playing twice a week, instead of being eased back in as they ideally would be otherwise. By the end of the season the whole squad was obviously exhausted.

• Like 1

Just asked a girl in our office about Armstrong as her boyfriend is a Blackburn fan and she’s seen him a fair bit. She rates him but thinks he might be a bit slow for the premier league. She wouldn’t swap him for Obafemi. Funnily enough I thought he looked fairly pacy on The YouTube but who knows? She had no stats to back up her opinion which is fairly pathetic in this day and age.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Just asked a girl in our office about Armstrong as her boyfriend is a Blackburn fan and she’s seen him a fair bit. She rates him but thinks he might be a bit slow for the premier league. She wouldn’t swap him for Obafemi. Funnily enough I thought he looked fairly pacy on The YouTube but who knows? She had no stats to back up her opinion which is fairly pathetic in this day and age.

I always feared Sir Lambert would be too slow for the next league up , fortunately I was wrong every time !

1 hour ago, igsey said:

Do yourself a favour fella and stick Ducky, SKD, Turkish and MLG on ignore. It has greatly improved my forum experience :)

If you want a forum where everyone nods along in agreement with each other do what Igsey had done and put anyone whose opinion you dont like on ignore.

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If you want a forum where everyone nods along in agreement with each other do what Igsey had done and put anyone whose opinion you dont like on ignore.

This - personally I have one person on ignore hesiing/Bournemouth/Glasgow saint. There’s a couple that are close mind but I do like to read others opinions.

4 hours ago, SKD said:

Did you watch the second half of last season? Have we done anything to realistically make much of a difference on that? What is there to be optimistic about? 

Yes, I did. I watched just about every minute of every match last season; both in the first half of the season, when we briefly managed to top the table, and in the latter half when, through a number of circumstances, we struggled. Did you watch the first half of last season?

Personally, I would say that our squad now - both with personnel and their fitness levels/injury status - is much more akin to how it was at the beginning of last season than it was at the end. We also won't have such a condensed fixture schedule. Wouldn't you agree? That being the case, I feel we will start this season in a similar vein to how we started last season. I doubt we will top the table this season, but I also don't think we will sit at the bottom (or even be in the bottom 3) at all during the coming season. I'm not expecting us to win the league, or qualify for the Champions League, but I think we will be comfortably mid-table. That is why I am feeling optimistic.

It appears you just want to concentrate on how last season ended without taking into account injuries, fatigue, lack of squad depth (meaning we were playing a lot of matches with youngsters 'not quite ready'), unable to use all the facilities at Staplewood, prioritising cup matches over league matches, busy fixture schedule, etc, etc, etc. That's up to you. Personally I feel sorry for the likes of you and Alpine, but at least you guys give the Samaritans something to do.

I note that, as usual, you ignored the points in my post that (yet again) proved you talking complete and utter bollocks (in regard to the number of goals scored by our midfielders). No surprise. I'm still waiting for you to explain your reasoning that we would have been better off loaning Loftus-Cheek vice Walcott last season (given it would have cost us, at least, twice as much and Theo far out performed RLC). I know, I know, it's all about opinions. And you consistently prove why yours are full of shit!

• Like 4

I'm really pleased with the direction the club are moving. We don't have the same money to compete with 60-70% of the other teams, so we changed our tactics in the recruitment area. I think we are in for a right old battle this season, with some glaring problems still to be resolved, but I much prefer going into it with unproven building blocks desperate to prove their worth. We could well have some little gems ready to shine. I hope Ralph seizes upon the support he's being shown, his leadership qualities are more important now, more than ever. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Personally, I would say that our squad now - both with personnel and their fitness levels/injury status - is much more akin to how it was at the beginning of last season than it was at the end. We also won't have such a condensed fixture schedule. Wouldn't you agree? That being the case, I feel we will start this season in a similar vein to how we started last season. I doubt we will top the table this season, but I also don't think we will sit at the bottom (or even be in the bottom 3) at all during the coming season. I'm not expecting us to win the league, or qualify for the Champions League, but I think we will be comfortably mid-table. That is why I am feeling optimistic.

I'm in the optimistic camp too.  Think we've done pretty well at balancing the squad out so far and pleased to see the back of several that were surplus to requirements (and on chunky wages).  Still plenty of work to be done, and there are a few clouds looming above us, but I generally feel we are in better shape than we were 12 months ago.

I expect this optimism to remain until at least 15 minutes into the Everton game 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I'm in the optimistic camp too.  Think we've done pretty well at balancing the squad out so far and pleased to see the back of several that were surplus to requirements (and on chunky wages).  Still plenty of work to be done, and there are a few clouds looming above us, but I generally feel we are in better shape than we were 12 months ago.

I expect this optimism to remain until at least 15 minutes into the Everton game 🙂

Assuming we don’t concede an early goal of course 🤪

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I’m always optimistic that said we have a tough start to the new season.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

This is the Transfer thread right?.....................so weres the transfer news if any?

Why talk about transfers when you can spend time slagging off your own players?

I really don’t get the negativity around JWP. Whilst he certainly isn’t the best midfielder we have ever had, he really isn’t that bad. He was our player of the year last year deservedly and has earned the captaincy with consistent performances.

It seems almost as if some people get some perverse pleasure from dissing our own players, management and club. No one and nothing is perfect.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What I saw was a midfield that were too easy to play through and offered fuck all protection for our  back 4.

You didn’t see that as much when Romeu wasn’t injured tbf. We’re still too thin in there though and a Romeu injury or loss of form away from reverting to our 2nd half of last season flimsiness. We need another option and that’s assuming JWP stays.

1 minute ago, stknowle said:

You didn’t see that as much when Romeu wasn’t injured tbf. We’re still too thin in there though and a Romeu injury or loss of form away from reverting to our 2nd half of last season flimsiness. We need another option and that’s assuming JWP stays.

No We don't. Didn't you know we get our recovery facilities back this year and thats going to make all the difference? Its even going to give Ralph the ability to assess a game in mid flight and adjust accordingly. It will definitely keep Romeu and Ings fit all season for sure

9 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

No We don't. Didn't you know we get our recovery facilities back this year and thats going to make all the difference? Its even going to give Ralph the ability to assess a game in mid flight and adjust accordingly. It will definitely keep Romeu and Ings fit all season for sure

I hope/assume this is sarcasm and you would view getting in - say - Thomas Delaney as a sensible if not quite insane move or indeed a cunning stunt.

Edited by stknowle

6 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

So that makes Juventus happy. Surely you aren't suggesting jwp is the best free kick taker in the world?

Ronaldo is one of the worst freekick takers of all time. He is the designated taker wherever he goes through sheer arrogance alone.

6 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

1) Why are you focusing on size? Is Messi too small for the Premier League?

2) You've admitted you haven't seen him play so how are you making the judgment he isn't good enough?

3) Armstrong outdid Ings for goals per game if you look at both of their last seasons in the Championship.

4) Do free kick goals not count? Why are you so dismissive of them? Saints will still get lots of free kicks outside the box next season and Ward-Prowse is likely to score quite a few from those opportunities.

Not sure why you guys all argue with him, he's full on Mr Negative about everything related to the club. 

2 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

We're beating Everton first game. No doubts.😎