Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I can’t believe how relaxed people are about our goalkeeper situation. We need someone decent in nets, we’ve clearly got some dough from the Ings deal so not getting someone else in nets is down to Ralph’s priorities. What’s the point in signing a 15 a season goal scorer if lurch & McCarthy are going to chuck 12 in at the other end? 

Truth is we need both. Gonna a loooong season

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I can’t believe how relaxed people are about our goalkeeper situation. We need someone decent in nets, we’ve clearly got some dough from the Ings deal so not getting someone else in nets is down to Ralph’s priorities. What’s the point in signing a 15 a season goal scorer if lurch & McCarthy are going to chuck 12 in at the other end? 

I imagine it’s to do with the extortionate wages we’re already paying to two of our goalkeepers. And with Hart going to Celtic, it doesn’t look like Forster will be off there.

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

100% this

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Yeah I wouldnt mind some 5mil spent on a goalie from a non trendy league who is solid and can kick a ball, would make a difference to both our defenders and our goal difference

7 minutes ago, Mikey88 said:

I imagine it’s to do with the extortionate wages we’re already paying to two of our goalkeepers. And with Hart going to Celtic, it doesn’t look like Forster will be off there.

But wages aren’t packaged as X amount on keepers, X amount on defenders etc. Whether we sign another keeper or not we still have to pay our existing keepers  wages.

Unless we’re going to sign a top proven striker, I’d get a decent body in nets & spend less/loan to replace Ings. As I said it’s choices, if lurch or McCarthy cost us this season, that’s down to the choices the manager has made. 

12 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If we can get a new GK and still replace Ings and add to CM, then i'm all for it - let's do it.

I don't think we can though, and as others have alluded to - there's over 100k p/w hooked up already in our two average goalkeepers, it's like a weight around our necks. I think before we get a goalie we need to shift one of McCarthy or Forster - but there isn't anyone crazy enough to provide either the wages they are on now, so as they're entitled to they're not going to kick up to move. So we're stuck.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think we can though, and as others have alluded to - there's over 100k p/w hooked up already in our two average goalkeepers, it's like a weight around our necks. 

What difference does the position we recruit for make. Have we a budget for specific positions  or an overall wage budget? 

If we sign a new keeper, the 2 existing ones get paid, & if we don’t, the 2 existing ones get paid. 

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If we can get a new GK and still replace Ings and add to CM, then i'm all for it - let's do it.

I don't think we can though, and as others have alluded to - there's over 100k p/w hooked up already in our two average goalkeepers, it's like a weight around our necks. I think before we get a goalie we need to shift one of McCarthy or Forster - but there isn't anyone crazy enough to provide either the wages they are on now, so as they're entitled to they're not going to kick up to move. So we're stuck.

Which makes McCarthy's new deal all the more mystifying. Especially as he's not very good at keeping goal.

• Like 1

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

What difference does the position we recruit for make. Have we a budget for specific positions  or an overall wage budget? 

If we sign a new keeper, the 2 existing ones get paid, & if we don’t, the 2 existing ones get paid. 

I guess the issue is whether the top brass think we can mend and make do with McCarthy and Forster. 

If we were paying £0k per week on keepers, we’d clearly sign one. If we were paying £400k a week on seven poor or mediocre keepers, I very much doubt we would (Ralph would be told to get that wage bill down or muddle through with what he had or both).

Of course all wages come out of a general wage bill rather than separate earmarked accounts for full backs, wingers, keepers etc, but if you’re spending a lot on one area, you might think muddling through with 5/10 quality is the best option.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Until the right offer comes in ‘too good to turn down’. 

Even as pessimistic as I am, I can’t see allowing JWP Also going to villa after ings has. 

Edited by SKD

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Until the right offer comes in ‘too good to turn down’. 

Even as pessimistic as I am, I can’t see allowing JWP Also going to villa after ings has. 

Agree on this, but another good season and I think JWP will be off, maybe not to Villa, but think he will help fund more of our much needed rebuild.

1 minute ago, Appy said:

Won’t read too much into that. 

He’s been banging that drum that Ings would only go to a CL club. 

That’s what Ings’ camp were saying, can’t imagine the club gave two shits where the £30mil came from. It’s different to saying a player won’t be sold because the club don’t want to sell him. 

34 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

I guess the issue is whether the top brass think we can mend and make do with McCarthy and Forster. 

The buck stops with Ralph. If he wanted to he could spend some of the Ings money & saved wages on a keeper. If he thinks we can make & mend that’s down to him. 

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The club have not confirmed any new deal for him.

You're right; I'm wrong. His deal runs until next summer. Sorry. Thought I read that somewhere. Must have been a nightmare...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The buck stops with Ralph. If he wanted to he could spend some of the Ings money & saved wages on a keeper. If he thinks we can make & mend that’s down to him. 

I get your point, but think you are being too balck/white with this.

There is a budget that has to be adhered to, that Ralph has to make the most with.

It may be if we got a new keeper, we cant afford a good enough striker etc.

Add to that, we cant shift either of the two shit keepers we have, people dont want them. 

I certainly dont put the fact we cant get rid of keepers at Ralphs door.

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Of course the buck stops with the Manager ain’t that always been the case? How about we need better CD’s to stop the problems? And that is where any extra money will be spent after we get a striker. 

I get what you are saying but it seems to me that you just want something to beat the manager with. Get a striker - great! But wah, wah, wah we needed a GK. get a GK and it would be something else! We are not Man U with a bottom less pit of money.

Ralph has mentioned we want a CB who can also play as a #6.

One name springs to mind that totally fits to our usual signing principles...Ethan Ampadu.

- Plays both of those positions

- 25 apps for Sheff Utd last season

- 26 caps for Wales

- Still only 20yo

Came on as a sub in Chelsea's last friendly but surely would be available on a loan with option or a permanent move with a buyback option for Chelsea.

Needs a longer term home as unlikely to get many minutes for Chelsea but is still a very highly rated player.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

But we have a very limited budget. 10-15M and 40k a week on wages for a keeper is money we don’t have elsewhere for positions we have no adequate cover for. I’m much more comfortable having McCarthy and Forster in goal then I would be having Long and Redmond up top.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

One name springs to mind that totally fits to our usual signing principles...Ethan Ampadu.

- 26 caps for Wales

- Still only 20yo

Came on as a sub in Chelsea's last friendly but surely would be available on a loan with option or a permanent move with a buyback option for Chelsea.

Needs a longer term home as unlikely to get many minutes for Chelsea but is still a very highly rated player.

Looked horrible last season for Sheff Utd...but so did the rest of the team. 😅

23 minutes ago, Dusic said:

- 26 caps for Wales

- Still only 20yo

@Cartman mentioned him last night.  Thought it was a logical choice if you take Ralph's comments on board.

Ridiculous that he's only 20 years old & as Cartman & you both said - Fits in with the Lyall Thomas tweet about Top 6 buy-back target.

He's more of a "sweeper up'er" of a centre-back than a dominating aerial one which (if Vesty goes) might be an issue but if we literally want a ball player who can play both positions, he'd be good.

Edited by SuperSAINT

I would do everything we can to get Tammy Abraham we need somebody to hit the ground running and has a proven record of at least putting the ball in the back of the net at a Premiership level. That's the kind of calibre of player we need because if we get the Ings replacement wrong dress it up how you want we are relegated. 

Thing is we still have a few variables and unknowns if we sell Prowse and Vest more money to play with. 

Fantasy scenario for me; 

Tammy Abraham > Ings

Lookman on loan > Prowse 

Delany -   new def mid option 

New Centre back > Vest

Brandon Williams on loan - Full back cover

any money left over then get Armstrong in and use Obafemi as bait 

That would be a good window 

48 minutes ago, Dusic said:

- 26 caps for Wales

- Still only 20yo

The limited time I've seen him be it sheff utd or Wales he's looked very poor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

I have a feeling the GK situation has been parked for next season, I reckon we are stuck with both of them this year. 

I am less worried about the GK situation if the defence has been significantly tightened up. If a GK has a defence in front of him that he has confidence in  it must help his performance.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

I would do everything we can to get Tammy Abraham we need somebody to hit the ground running and has a proven record of at least putting the ball in the back of the net at a Premiership level. That's the kind of calibre of player we need because if we get the Ings replacement wrong dress it up how you want we are relegated. 

Thing is we still have a few variables and unknowns if we sell Prowse and Vest more money to play with. 

Fantasy scenario for me; 

Tammy Abraham > Ings

Lookman on loan > Prowse 

Delany -   new def mid option 

New Centre back > Vest

Brandon Williams on loan - Full back cover

any money left over then get Armstrong in and use Obafemi as bait 

That would be a good window 

Due to that JWP comment, you're credibility has gone straight in the dog house whilst your reputational promiance has sky rocketed... For shear crazy talk! Going to take a while to recover from that 😅... Well maybe not given what normally gets said on here... But I doubt I am the only one who read that post and wtf'd out loud. 😜

• Like 1

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

Can someone anyone convince me why we should sign Tammy Abraham? What’s his goal scoring record like? 

Two Championship seasons with 20+ goals and a 15 goal Prem one at the age of 23 despite never really being Chelsea's main choice.

He'd definitely be my number 1 choice but I imagine there's teams out there willing to sign him permanently which we won't, also teams who are far better such as Atalanta. Also, if he was suddenly available for loan then I imagine he'd end up at West Ham.

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Two Championship seasons with 20+ goals and a 15 goal Prem one at the age of 23 despite never really being Chelsea's main choice.

He'd definitely be my number 1 choice but I imagine there's teams out there willing to sign him permanently which we won't, also teams who are far better such as Atalanta. Also, if he was suddenly available for loan then I imagine he'd end up at West Ham.

Thanks

I'd be very happy with Ings out and Tammy Abraham in, would be exceptional business in my eyes.

Abraham been a real threat\handful every time I've watch him play. 

Only 23 years old

46 league goals in 93 games over the last 3 seasons, pretty much a goal every other game, for comparison Ings is 41 in 91 so very similar record. 

Excited by that transfer

• Like 1