Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

I don't understand the logic of some of you on here. You expect us to just throw money at Blackburn and not haggle a bit to get the price down but at the same time complain we have no money to spend. 

Surely it's smarter business to have a few target and then start the negotiation process to get the price down a bit?

We have been haggling for the last month !  We have the money to buy him.  He looks a very good fit to our system of play.  Other clubs are showing interest ...get it done ffs!

• Like 2

Just now, gammon cheeks said:

We have been haggling for the last month !  We have the money to buy him.  He looks a very good fit to our system of play.  Other clubs are showing interest ...get it done ffs!

Just because we have money shouldn't mean we pay over the odds, we still have to be careful. If we were talking the odd mill here then maybe we should just bite the bullet, but I think we want to pay around £10m but Blackburn want 20 odd, that's a huge difference and having money shouldn't automatically mean you overpay by that amount.

It does sound like the club are going to revisit the 'lower value' targets first to see what is available. At the end of the day this fee needs to stretch to a few players, not just one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gammon cheeks said:

Indeed. We’ve already had one bid turned down. We’ve been talking to them for weeks must know what they’ll accept. Just get on with it.

Just now, Turkish said:

Indeed. We’ve already had one bid turned down. We’ve been talking to them for weeks must know what they’ll accept. Just get on with it.

Yeah it’s weird. The ings deal showed how quickly these things can progress if you’re a serious buyer. 

3 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Why so hysterical? He’s  a championship player 🤦‍♂️. There are plenty more around. Im sure we’ll get someone. Im quite glad were not panic buying again. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Just because we have money shouldn't mean we pay over the odds, we still have to be careful. If we were talking the odd mill here then maybe we should just bite the bullet, but I think we want to pay around £10m but Blackburn want 20 odd, that's a huge difference and having money shouldn't automatically mean you overpay by that amount.

It does sound like the club are going to revisit the 'lower value' targets first to see what is available. At the end of the day this fee needs to stretch to a few players, not just one.

Surely a goal scorer is the priority though. Good ones cost money and come at a premium. You can get away with gambling on a winger but not someone who could be the difference between promotion and relegation.

4 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

No one has had an offer accepted and if they do, I'm sure Armstrong's agent will let Saints know about it so we can match it. There's really no rush when can try to get the price down

3 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The prices these days are ridiculous. I’m sure a lot of us remember our first one million pound player. It doesn’t seem that long ago.

I remember we paid a club record£4 million for Rory Delap. We have plenty of time yet to spaff the little money we have. Seems a decent window so far. Lots of dead wood out and some nice non flashy acquisitions 

Edited by Warriorsaint
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Yeah it’s weird. The ings deal showed how quickly these things can progress if you’re a serious buyer. 

£15m isn’t unreasonable for a good championship striker, it’s What we paid for Adams. Players like Scott Hogan and Ross McCormack cost more then we’re offering for Armstrong 4 years ago. Not saying we should roll over and give them £20m but surely £15m is a fair price and should get the deal done? And our fans moan about Levy 🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

I remember we paid a club record£4 million for Rory Delap. We have plenty of time yet to spaff the little money we have. Seems a decent window so far. Lots of dead wood out and some nice non flashy acquisitions 

The biggest tragedy in all that is he was our record signing for 10 years 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Surely a goal scorer is the priority though. Good ones cost money and come at a premium. You can get away with gambling on a winger but not someone who could be the difference between promotion and relegation.

I don't disagree, I still don't think we should overpay by 10mill though or however much (speculative figures by me, but that's what I've read). Most other clubs are baulking at that as well. We'll see what happens. It's a huge bit of scouting, biggest this 'new' lot have had to do and they've had a fair amount of time to draw up the targets to be fair.

Given the Ings deal was supposedly done quickly, it was money that we didn't expect.

This would probably enable us to widen our options for a new striker.

Whereas the Norwich link to Armstrong was probably designed to pressure us to put in a quick raised bid.

We need to spend the money well, and not be forced into rash decisions

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nolan said:

Given the Ings deal was supposedly done quickly, it was money that we didn't expect.

This would probably enable us to widen our options for a new striker.

Whereas the Norwich link to Armstrong was probably designed to pressure us to put in a quick raised bid.

We need to spend the money well, and not be forced into rash decisions

Sorry but how on earth could it be money we didn't expect? He was obviously going at some point this summer. I very much hope there has been succession planning for this scenario. Hopefully somebody is already lined up and we just don't know it yet. (Why wouldn't I be surprised if thats not the case...)

23 minutes ago, Wimborne_saint said:

Giorgios Giakoumakis from VVV-Venlo. Available for 5m 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/08/05/southampton-giorgios-giakoumakis/ 

Useful experience of a relegation fight.

How easy would it be for him to get a work visa under the post-Brexit rules ? Greece are outside the top 50 nations in the FIFA rankings, and the EREDIVISIE is a Tier 2 competition.

Edited by badgerx16

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Him plus another one would be alright. 

Not unrealistic at that price that we could get him AND Armstrong in.  Pelle and Tadic were seen as risky signings from Eredivise at the time and both proved bargains

2 hours ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Messi available for nothing, only wages..

1 hour ago, richardc said:

My sources said we were close but it broke down over our 30% sell on clause and Adams wouldnt give up his number 10 shirt

Think your sources are talking out of their arse pal. 

Good mate of mine who's ITK* tells me for a fact that Messi is already putting a bid in on either James Beattie's or Franny Benali's old pad (couldn't make up his mind which one) having already looked round and declined Martin O'Neill's proposed flat in Winchester. FACT.

*he's in the know with an estate agent chain not SFC though, but he wouldn't tell me no shit, so I believes him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forester said:

Not unrealistic at that price that we could get him AND Armstrong in.  Pelle and Tadic were seen as risky signings from Eredivise at the time and both proved bargains

Think both had performed well there for more than one season though.

3 minutes ago, Forester said:

That’s what I was thinking considering we were rumored to be in for another striker when we were being told Ings was staying 

52 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

One 'new' senior Pro signed and your suggesting a decent window so far.........

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1423359692475142146

Open and honest communication from Villa CEO Purslow.

Very good use of a release clause, good forward planning knowing that it was likely to be activated.

Why does it only seem to be Saints that are unable to replace a player before we sell them?

Surely with a player of Ings' importance the club know right now who they are moving for and a well in the process of doing so? They would clearly have known at the start of the summer what the budget was with Ings staying and that if he went it would be for a fee in the £20m-£30m range. So no excuse for being caught on the hop by it and therefore can only assume we haven't been.

Clearly there is no point massively overpaying for a player but if we felt Armstrong was a good signing earlier in the summer, enough so that we made an official bid for him then I am sure having extra cash makes it extremely possible to sign him if we want him and if he wants to move down south, and if its going to happen then it will do so quickly.

If they think he is that good then to not get him would be a shame but would be compounded by a rival at the bottom of the league signing him instead.

We have had a year of knowing Ings was likely to go this summer so I am sure they know what they want to do.

57 minutes ago, SKD said:

What you mean is if you are prepared to pay the asking price. Would you pay twice as much for a car that you thought was worth half as much or would you haggle?

Just now, sadoldgit said:

What you mean is if you are prepared to pay the asking price. Would you pay twice as much for a car that you thought was worth half as much or would you haggle?

Depends on if you sold your existing car for more than it’s worth and urgently need a decent new one otherwise you won’t be able to get to work so will lose all your income having shit loads of debt and probably have to declare yourself bankrupt. A ridiculous analogy from you though.

Edited by Turkish

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1423359692475142146

Open and honest communication from Villa CEO Purslow.

Very good use of a release clause, good forward planning knowing that it was likely to be activated.

Why does it only seem to be Saints that are unable to replace a player before we sell them?

Surely with a player of Ings' importance the club know right now who they are moving for and a well in the process of doing so? They would clearly have known at the start of the summer what the budget was with Ings staying and that if he went it would be for a fee in the £20m-£30m range. So no excuse for being caught on the hop by it and therefore can only assume we haven't been.

Clearly there is no point massively overpaying for a player but if we felt Armstrong was a good signing earlier in the summer, enough so that we made an official bid for him then I am sure having extra cash makes it extremely possible to sign him if we want him and if he wants to move down south, and if its going to happen then it will do so quickly.

If they think he is that good then to not get him would be a shame but would be compounded by a rival at the bottom of the league signing him instead.

We have had a year of knowing Ings was likely to go this summer so I am sure they know what they want to do.

We have no money, that's why we can't replace before we sell. So we will always remain on the back foot until we get new ownership.

It's a consistent theme over most recent windows to be honest. We're good for the first signing, Salisu or Perrud - 10ishm outlay. We seem to be able to do that, I'm guessing that's paid for by commercial revenue, bit of the PL riches or the new sponsorship deals etc. But then anything else we want to do has to be fully serviced by the players we sell. And that money has to be in the bank before we can move for our targets.

Edited by S-Clarke

24 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Useful experience of a relegation fight.

How easy would it be for him to get a work visa under the post-Brexit rules ? Greece are outside the top 50 nations in the FIFA rankings, and the EREDIVISIE is a Tier 2 competition.

Edit; I think he gets 20 points looking at the FA criteria, and needs 15 to qualify.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We have no money, that's why we can't replace before we sell. So we will always remain on the back foot until we get new ownership.

It's a consistent theme over most recent windows to be honest. We're good for the first signing, Salisu or Perrud - 10ishm outlay. We seem to be able to do that, I'm guessing that's paid for by commercial revenue or the new sponsorship deals etc. But then anything else we want to do has to be fully serviced by the players we sell. And that money has to be in the bank before we can move for our targets.

I’m amazed that some still don’t get it but hey ho let’s just knock the club.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I’m amazed that some still don’t get it but hey ho let’s just knock the club.

The club 'now' is being run quite well, I think. That might seem like a crazy thing to say, but after the crazy and wasteful years under Wilson, Kruger, Reed etc we have an actual local board who I trust with my club. I know what they are doing is with the best interests. There's no agenda, no fluffy bollocks - I've listen to Martin Seemens a few times and he's straight to the point, no bollocks with him. All you got with Kruger was an hour of management fluffy buzzwords that meant nothing.

As I said the other day - see the club as two parts. The invisible, non-entity ownership, and the actual board who are now running the club amazingly well in the circumstances they are in.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The club 'now' is being run quite well, I think. That might seem like a crazy thing to say, but after the crazy and wasteful years under Wilson, Kruger, Reed etc we have an actual local board who I trust with my club. I know what they are doing is with the best interests. There's no agenda, no fluffy bollocks - I've listen to Martin Seemens a few times and he's straight to the point, no bollocks with him. All you got with Kruger was an hour of management fluffy buzzwords that meant nothing.

As I said the other day - see the club as two parts. The invisible, non-entity ownership, and the actual board who are now running the club amazingly well in the circumstances they are in.

👍 from me.

3 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

A mate has just sent me a text to say that Armstrong is in advanced talks with Palace and he could be their player by tomorrow. Anyone else heard this or am i being wound up?

That seems to be the case according to the Palace forum.

Just Googled it. Seems to be Sky who are reporting it. I thought it was a mate just trying to wind me up. 

I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing. I guess time will tell. 

Do we pay a lot for someone unproven at Premiership level or do we move on and sign someone else who will probably cost us less? Given our usual stance, I think we'll let him go elsewhere and then end up with someone really shit! 😄

19 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

A mate has just sent me a text to say that Armstrong is in advanced talks with Palace and he could be their player by tomorrow. Anyone else heard this or am i being wound up?

Been in advanced talks with Palace and ourselves. Problem is nobody has met Blackburns valuation yet

14 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Been in advanced talks with Palace and ourselves. Problem is nobody has met Blackburns valuation yet

Cos there valuation is crazy...  Crazy to gamble that much on a player unproven at this level.  

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Cos there valuation is crazy...  Crazy to gamble that much on a player unproven at this level.  

Agree, I think around 15 million would be a fair price for him considering he has 1 year left. We're clearly testing Blackburns resolve because the longer it goes into the window the more his value will drop

1 hour ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

One 'new' senior Pro signed and your suggesting a decent window so far.........

Yes I am, in relative terms we don’t have a lot to piss in. We have got rid of Lemina, Hoedt, Carrillo amongst others. No mean feat in one window. A left back in, two for the future. Yes, so far I’m happy. Throwing our limited funds around has not worked so I reiterate again I am happy so far. No need to get defensive. It’s all about opinions. Still plenty of time to go my friend. Patience..... we happy no control over these things. We just have to accept the club are doing their best. Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt until the window “ slams shut”

• Like 2