Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

It is 100% relevant as a counter to writing off a player due to his CV. Which is what the context of my post was.

And I’m not sure even Danny had done that much prior too 26? One good championship season and 1 decent pl season

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

It is 100% relevant as a counter to writing off a player due to his CV. Which is what the context of my post was.

I understand that some players peak late in their career. However you're implying that we should never be disappointed with a players career output because they may just randomly become good one day like Pelle did.

We have every right to be disappointed in the prospect of signing a 26 year old who has had one good season throughout his career in a poor standard of football. You'd be a lot more useful to the forum if you tried to actually think rather than just looking to 'one-up' everyone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

You're implying that we should never be disappointed with a players career output because they may just randomly become good one day like Pelle did.

I did no such thing. Bizarre you've twisted my words in such a way.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Confused 1

Having seen the Greek fella on YouTube I didn’t think he looked that great. No guarantee of anything and it’s a subjective opinion but whilst we need to be careful how we spend money we shouldn’t be spending it on players just because they’re affordable. In any case it looks more to me like a club and/or agent trying to manufacture a move rather than any interest on our part. I reckon we’ll get Armstrong but at a price that’s more to our liking.

It seems like Armstrong has been our primary striking target all summer. We went in with, what was probably a take the piss bid, no that we have a bit "extra" to spend, we seem to be backing away from it. It makes you wonder if actually Armstrong himself as shown no indication that he wants to come here. Maybe he sees Palace or Watford as a better option.

4 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

So we Sell Ings and we are going to bring in some unknown lumper for 5 million this club...... :mcinnes:

Armstrong, Edouard or Tammy Abraham 

Anything less and we might as well prepare for the championship..

We won’t be signing Abraham why do people keep thinking that’s likely?

Atlanta have apparently agreed the 40m for him

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Terrible at Palace, followed by a good loan spell in Turkey and a poor season in Germany.

His time at Palace stands out for me so on that alone I'd look elsewhere. Would rather we go for Armstrong but that boat may have been missed.

8 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

So we Sell Ings and we are going to bring in some unknown lumper for 5 million this club...... :mcinnes:

Armstrong, Edouard or Tammy Abraham 

Anything less and we might as well prepare for the championship..

Been one spurious link that’s about it the rest is just posters speculating on how/if it would/could work.

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Atalanta are willing to meet Chelsea’s asking price of €40m for Tammy Abraham, a meeting has been scheduled.

- @dimarzio

If correct, and it’s 40m euros (not £), that’s a very good deal. works out, only slightly more than we got for Danny. 

Still surprised Villa didn’t go for Tammy over ings, if I’m honest. 

41 minutes ago, DT said:

Must be some sort of record to be 'down to the bare bones' before the season actually starts.

Indeed, we haven't exactly addressed the threadbare aspect of our squad yet have we? Ignoring the deadwood - Ings and Bertrand out; Perraud, Livramento, Simeu in. 

That ain't exactly a lot stronger is it? We need to be a nett 3 or 4 starting quality first team players up on last season to be relatively sure we won't be starting matches with benches full of rookies again.  Lose Vestergaard (likely) that's 4 or 5 players we need to secure in less than a month. 

Not sure about Sorloth, turns 26 this year and has already struggled in the prem. Doesn't really fit the model of buying young talent to develop for a profit that our press have been touting.

From a personal perspective I'd take him for £10m or so. 7 goal involvements in 1400 minutes isn't dreadful in the German league. Would be worried if he were more than a depth option though. Would rather we spend £5m on the Greek fella for depth and then spend a good chunk grabbing Armstrong.

1 minute ago, Saint_Tony said:

Abraham would be a massive downgrade on Ings (admittedly, any of the targets on our budget would).

Don't agree with this, I think Abraham has looked quality for Chelsea when I've seen him. Scores a good number of goals too. At his age I would take a straight swap of Abraham for Ings in a heartbeat even if Ings had a contract signed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Fuck sake Sorloth? The guy is effing shit. 
I remember him coming on for Leipzig in champions league and commentator saying Leipzig forward had really suffered since came on.

The state of our scouting FFS

you'll have his name on your shirt in 6 weeks once hes ripped in 6 goals lol

7 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Not sure signing a 26 year old from the Bundesliga, with some experience in the Premier League is really "scouting" to be honest. 

But I agree it doesn't feel like a particularly adequate replacement. 

Palace fans will probably have a good old laugh if we signed this guy and they get Armstrong.

Edited by CB Fry

The names that have been mentioned are all so underwhelming aside from maybe Armstrong, but he seems very highly priced.

The Greek lad has a stack of red flags - massive avoid signals there.

Personally at the prices we could stretch to Edouard would most fit the bill and probably be the least risky - but seems he is off to Brighton (if he does well I think they will push top 10).

Really hope they have something as yet seen up their sleeve otherwise its hard to see anything but a monumental struggle to stay up. Last season we conceded way too many but did have a goal threat. This year we could well be shit at both ends.

31 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Fuck sake Sorloth? The guy is effing shit. 
I remember him coming on for Leipzig in champions league and commentator saying Leipzig forward had really suffered since came on.

I expect Sorloth et al are just smoke screens, leverage creators for our real targets

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

I expect Sorloth et al are just smoke screens, leverage creators for our real targets

I agree. We've had this sort of thing before where we're linked to dross and then get someone no one else has mentioned. My money is on a decent youngster from a bigger club. 

10 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Whatever happened to that striker 'Augustin' everyone was talking about before his bizarre Leeds move, has he completely flushed his career after his bright start with Ralph at Leipzig.

Had/has long Covid so hasn’t been able to play at all recently

Where are the ITKs? Is the problem that club don't have any idea what they are going to do either!?! 😂

I'd be disappointed if we sign Sorloth after his complete failure at Palace. 

Surely Matthew Hoppe from Schalke for £5-10M and  Nketiah from Arsenal for £10-15M are more worthy of a gamble.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Whatever happened to that striker 'Augustin' everyone was talking about before his bizarre Leeds move, has he completely flushed his career after his bright start with Ralph at Leipzig.

Isn’t there still a legal wrangle over whether Leeds have to pay the full amount for him? 

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

Where are the ITKs? Is the problem that club don't have any idea what they are going to do either!?! 😂

I'd be disappointed if we sign Sorloth after his complete failure at Palace. 

Surely Matthew Hoppe from Schalke for £5-10M and  Nketiah from Arsenal for £10-15M are more worthy of a gamble.

Reasonable shout. Wouldn’t mind either of those with perhaps someone a bit more experience coming in as well. 

I can’t see either of those replacing Ings goals alone though. 

Please god not Sorloth, he is utter gash. He is like Ely in as much as they both found their level in really shit leagues where they briefly could shine......however the minute either of them entered the premiership both were found out immediately. 

Edited by BARCELONASAINT
spelling

1 minute ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Please god not Sorloth, he is utter gash. He is like Ely in as much as they both found their level in really shit leagues where they shown......however the minute either of them entered the premiership both were found out immediately. 

Really hoping Sorloth is a blind to camouflage our real target and stop the likes of Palarse sniffing round. Yeah, I know there's 2 hopes..

• Like 1