Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

Just now, BARCELONASAINT said:

Please god not Sorloth, he is utter gash. He is like Ely in as much as they both found their level in really shit leagues where they shown......however the minute either of them entered the premiership both were found out immediately. 

If it is him then you feel the club are taking a gamble.

What price do we put for staying in the EPL?

£28m is only a good deal if the money is spent on an adequate replacement. Judging by some of the names being banded about I am not sure I have confidence in Ralph’s judgement. Fans were quick to celebrate unloading Ings for a decent fee but if it’s frittered on below average, unproven wannabes from Europe then I fear for the future. Personally - although I am not convinced he is PL standard - I  would go for Armstrong who, if we get relegated would at least score us goals in the Championship. Crucial few days coming up. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

£28m is only a good deal if the money is spent on an adequate replacement. Judging by some of the names being banded about I am not sure I have confidence in Ralph’s judgement. Fans were quick to celebrate unloading Ings for a decent fee but if it’s frittered on below average, unproven wannabes from Europe then I fear for the future. Personally - although I am not convinced he is PL standard - I  would go for Armstrong who, if we get relegated would at least score us goals in the Championship. Crucial few days coming up. 

Surprise, you are knocking Ralph again. Anyone would think it was personal....Most players are not scouted or signed by the manager these days as well you know.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Katalinic said:

Surprise, you are knocking Ralph again. Anyone would think it was personal....Most players are not scouted or signed by the manager these days as well you know.

Sorry forgive me for having a view. It’s not personal but I don’t think he is a good manager or good enough the keep us up.  
I came to that conclusion towards the end of last season. I may be wrong, I sincerely hope I am but that’s just the way I feel. 
And I’m not sure how the player selection process goes but I believe the manager (quite rightly) has the largest input in transfers. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I find it surprising that a supposed historian is so unable to judge the validity of evidence that they are willing to take every half-arsed transfer rumour as fact. Let's see where we are at the end of the window

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Sorry forgive me for having a view. It’s not personal but I don’t think he is a good manager or good enough the keep us up.  
I came to that conclusion towards the end of last season. I may be wrong, I sincerely hope I am but that’s just the way I feel. 
And I’m not sure how the player selection process goes but I believe the manager (quite rightly) has the largest input in transfers. 

So, has Ralph put the suggested names into the media, or is that to quench the thirst of blood hungry journalists, or mere fans like you and I?

Also, has Ralph got us relegated in the last three seasons? I thought not.  

So, why is this year different?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

You came to the conclusion he wasn’t good enough to keep us up in a season he kept us up? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Don't agree with this, I think Abraham has looked quality for Chelsea when I've seen him. Scores a good number of goals too. At his age I would take a straight swap of Abraham for Ings in a heartbeat even if Ings had a contract signed.

Totally and utterly agree. Abraham would be a great upgrade on Ings - taller, quicker, younger. Won’t happen, but the happy clappers on here thinking it’s their own money that’s being spent amuse me…

If we were a wealthier club, the saddos on here would be extolling it as a great deal.  We should aim high, everyone heart on heart knows he would be an upgrade, but no, the saints web rules say he’s crap because he’s expensive.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Sam Gallagher isn't a Premier League player. You're going to have to get over that some day.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Where are the ITKs? Is the problem that club don't have any idea what they are going to do either!?! 😂

I'd be disappointed if we sign Sorloth after his complete failure at Palace. 

Surely Matthew Hoppe from Schalke for £5-10M and  Nketiah from Arsenal for £10-15M are more worthy of a gamble.

Nketiah would be a very good shout, but where did you get that price from? Arsenal would want serious money for him - they dismissed £25m out of hand for Smith-Rowe and this lad is just as much a talent. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

Nketiah would be a very good shout, but where did you get that price from? Arsenal would want serious money for him - they dismissed £25m out of hand for Smith-Rowe and this lad is just as much a talent. 

They want to keep ESR, though.

Believe Nketiah’s contract is up end of next season, too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Nketiah is much worse than Smith-Rowe imo. I don't really rate Nketiah at all whereas Smith-Rowe looked really good last season.

Just now, TWar said:

Nketiah is much worse than Smith-Rowe imo. I don't really rate Nketiah at all whereas Smith-Rowe looked really good last season.

Nketiah knows where the back of the net is though. Strikers attract a premium. None of that explains the price - people seem to pluck a figure from the air and believe that to be a players actual value. Quite odd. 

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

5 goals in 38 Premier League games suggests otherwise.

How many starts Matthew? 

16 goals in 17 England u21 games pretty impressive, yes? 

Edited by egg

I dunno, Sorloth for me is an interesting option. He had a stonking season in Turkey and not as good a year at RB, but I think there's something there.

Great physicality and arguably the sort of centre forward you could say we're missing and have done since Pelle left.

Be interesting to see how much he'd cost, but I wouldn't be so dismissive of him.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

5 goals in 38 Premier League games suggests otherwise.

In fairness most of those were subs and he only actually played 1100 minutes. 5 goals in 1100 mins is about a goal every 2.5 games which isn't dreadful. I don't rate him personally though as I say

Just now, TWar said:

In fairness most of those were subs and he only actually played 1100 minutes. 5 goals in 1100 mins is about a goal every 2.5 games which isn't dreadful. I don't rate him personally though as I say

Would we be insane to sign him?

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Would we be insane to sign him?

Depends on the price. I'd have him for £10m or so, maybe slightly more. If we end up spending closer to £20m and he becomes our main striker then it certainly isn't a sensible option.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

True, but that is a much lower standard than a PL game.

He's looked good when I've seen him. Pace, touch, finishing. If it's not him, my gut feeling is that we'll end that type of player, ie a young player from a big club who's not quite done it there. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

He's looked good when I've seen him. Pace, touch, finishing. If it's not him, my gut feeling is that we'll end that type of player, ie a young player from a big club who's not quite done it there. 

Probably a fair shout. I don't think it's a bad idea tbh at the right price, I just don't think he is comparable to ESR who in my opinion is on course to be incredible.

Just now, TWar said:

Probably a fair shout. I don't think it's a bad idea tbh at the right price, I just don't think he is comparable to ESR who in my opinion is on course to be incredible.

On that we agree. He's a very very good player. In my fantasy league team this year. 

Few press reports this week saying Arsenal were offering Leicester Nketiah, Willock, Maitland-Niles or Nelson in a deal to keep the price down for James Maddison. 

Arsenal want all of them gone (Willock more a case of he wants to go - and will return to Newcastle). 

Most bits I've read suggest they value Nketiah at 20m. If we could maybe get him for 18m I don't think that would be a bad deal. Even if he doesn't set the world alight, you'd like to think we could recoup at least £10m in a future sale.

Nketiah is just not a particuarly good player. He's a basic poacher who doesn't poach much. His all round game is non-existent.

Couldn't get a game in the Championship at Leeds for that very reason: Bielsa needed more from his forwards than simply ghosting about hoping for tap ins.

So do we.

Just now, egg said:

On that we agree. He's a very very good player. In my fantasy league team this year. 

Mine too, although I'm torn between Robbo ESR or Trent Tella. If Tella is out of position up top then the latter might swing it. ESR tends to be a lot more the pass before the assist than direct goal involvements which worries me from a fantasy perspective.

1 minute ago, egg said:

Christ no. Shocking player. 

Agreed. Plus Liverpool are very good at selling. A player that might cost £10m from Arsenal or Chelsea Liverpool seem to be able to get £20m for. It's uncanny. I think Ings is probably their only bad sale of the last few years or so (I'm sure I'm forgetting someone)

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Strikes me as a Brewster type signing - a lot of hype. Hopefully we wouldn’t end up as shite as Sheffield Utd.

1 minute ago, saintrich said:

Few press reports this week saying Arsenal were offering Leicester Nketiah, Willock, Maitland-Niles or Nelson in a deal to keep the price down for James Maddison. 

Arsenal want all of them gone (Willock more a case of he wants to go - and will return to Newcastle). 

Most bits I've read suggest they value Nketiah at 20m. If we could maybe get him for 18m I don't think that would be a bad deal. Even if he doesn't set the world alight, you'd like to think we could recoup at least £10m in a future sale.

Why would we go into something think we could only lose £8m, doesn’t make sense to me with where our recruiting has been lately.  I’m thinking we have been miles better in recruiting lately. 

So we are all agreed….the options we appear to have are all utter dross or untested at a higher level in the premier league,or failed at a higher level in the premier league in some way or beyond our financial clout.

well that clears that up. 

we are buggered and in for a long tough and I suspect humiliating season at times.
groovy.   

11 minutes ago, saint lard said:

So we are all agreed….the options we appear to have are all utter dross or untested at a higher level in the premier league,or failed at a higher level in the premier league in some way or beyond our financial clout.

we are buggered and in for a long tough and I suspect humiliating season at times.
groovy.   

Which one in the list are you keen on us signing?

I am just hoping it’s all a smokescreen for real target

Edited by Give it to Ron

18 minutes ago, saint lard said:

So we are all agreed….the options we appear to have are all utter dross or untested at a higher level in the premier league, or failed at a higher level in the premier league in some way or beyond our financial clout.

groovy.   

You do realise they tend to go for £40m plus as a starting price? I'm glad we're signing players who are untested at a higher level, they represent appalling value for money. We spent £12m on Shane Long, which is closer to £25-30m in today's money and he was thoroughly average at relegation fighting Hull.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Gotta admit i’m somewhat biased against sorloth because he couldn’t make an impression on a palace team that have such huge striking issues.

I think that has swayed most of us he was terrible almost Carrillo bad.

Just hoping this is agent touting him rather than us being interested 

7 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Gotta admit i’m somewhat biased against sorloth because he couldn’t make an impression on a palace team that have such huge striking issues.

From what I can remember of his time at Palace, he was always played coming in off the right wing. Completely against his game. That said I wouldn't have him as an Ings replacement. I can't see him either scoring or assisting enough to replace Ings goals

22 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Why would we go into something think we could only lose £8m, doesn’t make sense to me with where our recruiting has been lately.  I’m thinking we have been miles better in recruiting lately. 

Well I would hope that if we were to sign him it would be because the club have full confidence, if the club arent interested I wouldn't lose sleep over it. The recouping point is just my own insecurities on failed transfers - we have done better in the market like of late like you say and the numbers I plucked out the air. 

If there are a few options on the table then I would prefer us to play it safer (IMO) with someone like Armstrong or Nketiah who in the worst case scenario could score in the league below or be sold for a reasonable fee, than someone new to English football who could be great or a complete let down. If we still had Ings and were in the market for another striker than I wouldn't mind us taking more of a gamble.

I think think Nketiah would complement our other strikers well - Adams being a good link man, Tella pace in behind, Nketiah penalty box player. One of the posts above suggests he stands around alot though - so unsure on his movement qualities. But with Arsenal a camp in the opposition half team, I guess it can be harder to find good positions, especially when other teams set out to defend for long periods. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Look, we know your daughter is with Sam Gallagher who is a pretty bog standard championship player. What is it that RH did against him that was so bad?

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 3

This thread is getting just like the one when we were linked with Danny Ings initially. Not good enough, injury prone, not really proven at PL level etc.....

Why dont we wait until we actually sign somebody and reserve judgement until we see them in a saints shirt. In fact given some of the left field signings we've made so far, it'll likely be a striker that the experts on here have no knowledge of (bar wikipedia or transfermrkt which they'll base all their assessments on)

• Like 2

Is the reason people don't want Sorloth based on his time at Palace? He hardly played for them and when he did he usually had Benteke occupying his best role and even at Leipzig he has often faced a similar situation with Poulsen. Youtube eye test suggests that he is quite a good player, fast, strong, good technical ability, very good in the air and his stats are good too, 0.50 non penalty goals and assists per 90 minutes last season (Ings was 0.58) and presses a lot (94th percentile). One thing that stands out from watching his youtube highlights is how often it shows him playing deep at Leipzig whereas at Trabzonspor he is usually in the box, think Trabzonspor got more out of him than any other club not because of the quality of the league but simply because they consistently played him in his best role. Leipzig sometimes did and he has been decent, Palace never did and he was shite.

I would take him for the 15 million euros Leipzig supposedly want although I would also want Armstrong, we need both. Signing only one still leaves us short on goalscorers and would be putting all our eggs in one basket, getting both would be an insurance of sorts in case one of them flops for whatever reason.

• Like 3