Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

37 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I never understand why we don't buy before we sell - as soon as we sell a player like Ings or Vestergaard and need to replace them the price of the replacement goes up.  It  doesn't really help that we have no real strength in depth and thus a player who is ready to step up and replace them.  Ideally you do that and then buy a younger cheaper player with potential to fill out the squad.

I guess with Salisu we already have Vestergaard's replacement as the left centre back but I sometimes wonder why we didn't sign Kristoffer Ajer for example to replace Vestergaard in the squad before we are forced to sell him.

Maybe money is the problem - needing money to come in before we spend it out - but I thought that was what the loan was for.

Armstrong is overpriced with 1 year on his contract at 20-25M.

Edouard at £20M is a risk at the Scottish Premiership is really equivalent to League 1 in standard and competition so you have to judge the player on European games, internationals and youthful potential.

Nketiah at £20M is also overpriced with 1 year on his contract - but although we got a good fee for Ings it has set a high bar in terms of transfer fee and put prices up elsewhere.  Maybe a buyback deal like we did for Livramento would lower the price.

I not particularly enamoured by the Sorloth rumours given his failure at Palace - surely Hoppe from Schalke would be a cheaper and better long term bet.

I thought Obafemi, Long, Valery, Elynoussi and Djneppo would all have been moved on by now - either permanently or on loan - none of them are good enough. 

good new frankfurt and turkish teams interested

https://www.fussballtransfers.com/a3380950033216491609-bericht-eintracht-anfrage-wegen-soerloth

4 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

We had 12 fit first team players in January, in November we topped the league briefly, and in 2020 we had a top 4 points return. Of those things, you'd judge (and sack him) for the form with the injury ravaged squad? To each their own... 

So that was excuse for man utd 9v0, what about Leicester 9v0 or the other countless awful poorly managed games or the bizarre keeper swap idea or minimino and redmond have to play, sorry but he did it at leipzig and now us, really good season then got found out and doesn't have any tactical nous as well as being stubborn as f***

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

So that was excuse for man utd 9v0, what about Leicester 9v0 or the other countless awful poorly managed games or the bizarre keeper swap idea or minimino and redmond have to play, sorry but he did it at leipzig and now us, really good season then got found out and doesn't have any tactical nous as well as being stubborn as f***

And an absolutely woeful semi final where he preferred Redmond to Adams. He should be sacked for that alone. 

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

And an absolutely woeful semi final where he preferred Redmond to Adams. He should be sacked for that alone. 

Lolz right just focus on the lows. What a bunch of muppets

Edited by stevy777_x
  • Like 9

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The same manager and club holding the joint heaviest all time defeat is about as low as it can get up isn’t it?

No it isn't. Getting relegated in one of his three seasons would be lower. Kept us up 3 times, despite having little room for manoeuvre in the transfer market. To sack him for the 9-0s is reactionary. 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The same manager and club holding the joint heaviest all time defeat is about as low as it can get up isn’t it?

I think it may be showing the signs of rumination like many other posters

A lot of people sit at home, dwell on the negative and find themselves getting deeper and deeper in their depression. Psychologists call this style of repetitive negative thoughts "rumination."

• Like 3

Backing off from Armstrong 

could it be AA wants to join saints so backing off forces Blackburn to lower price?

you can’t force a player to sign for someone they don’t want to join

but then again not sure why Messi won’t sign for Barcelona the club he loves for ultra low wage considering he has made hundreds of millions

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John B said:

A lot of people sit at home, dwell on the negative and find themselves getting deeper and deeper in their depression. Psychologists call this style of repetitive negative thoughts "rumination."

I’ve already posted about all the positives we have so you’re aiming this at the wrong person pal

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, John B said:

Or just 'being a Saints fan when we're skint'

29 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

No it isn't. Getting relegated in one of his three seasons would be lower. Kept us up 3 times, despite having little room for manoeuvre in the transfer market. To sack him for the 9-0s is reactionary. 

True, plenty of teams get relegated not many can manage two record breaking results in two seasons.

1 minute ago, John B said:

Ok fair point you may not be fully ruminated but you are pretty close.

Incorrect. Any concerns I have about our prospects on the pitch have been balanced out by the stadium improvements and kit made from recycled bottles.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

True, plenty of teams get relegated not many can manage two record breaking results in two seasons.

This place really underestimates / refuses to understand how bad it actually is to lose 9-0, not once, but twice. 

Truly horrific. 

• Like 2

Not too worried about the Sorloth rumours. If he comes he might be a relevation.

Lukaku has just gone to Chelsea for £97 million. Don’t forget they ket him go. Also many thought he was poor at Man Utd hence his sale to Inter. Now he is on the up again. So its all a gamble.

I accept the pool we are fishing in. 

I’m probably in a minority but I am looking forward to this season. We have a really young side  and manager and they are only going to get better. We will replace Ings and I think we will be mid table but progressing. I’m happy with that. 

Try and enjoy it people. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SKD said:

This place really underestimates / refuses to understand how bad it actually is to lose 9-0, not once, but twice. 

Truly horrific. 

It's because it doesn't actually matter that much.

Like if we'd gotten relegated it could have cost the club hundreds of millions of pounds, it would mean all our best players would leave, the manager would leave, we would be watching Saints vs Millwall rather than Man city this season. Massive stuff. It would be a huge deal for the club. If we hadn't have lost 9-0 and had instead lost 3-0 it literally wouldn't have effected us in the slightest. Slightly better goal diff for a team which was safe by the 2nd of January. The net consequence of the 9-0 is a little bit of goal difference and people like you banging on about it.

• Like 8

Just now, TWar said:

Like if we'd gotten relegated it could have cost the club hundreds of millions of pounds, it would mean all our best players would leave, the manager would leave, we would be watching Saints vs Millwall rather than Man city this season. Massive stuff. It would be a huge deal for the club. If we hadn't have lost 9-0 and had instead lost 3-0 it literally wouldn't have effected us in the slightest. Slightly better goal diff for a team which was safe by the 2nd of January. The net consequence of the 9-0 is a little bit of goal difference and people like you banging on about it.

If it didn’t matter why did Ralph say it was the lowest moment of his career? Why does it get mentioned every single frigging time we’re on Telly? It may not matter in as much as it didn’t effect our final postion that much but we are in the record books, for the wrong reasons. 

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

In terms of impact on the club, of course relegation is bigger. 

However; as Turkish has said, relegation happens and it’ll happen to us eventually. 9-0 doesn’t. I don’t think any other managers would survive 1 9-0 defeat, let alone 2. For me, it highlights deep rooted issues with mentality of the squad and some fundamental issues with the manager tactically. 

18 minutes ago, SKD said:

Truly horrific. 

Still only loses us 3 points, and poss the equiv of a 4th for Goal Difference 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

If it didn’t matter why did Ralph say it was the lowest moment of his career? Why does it get mentioned every single frigging time we’re on Telly? It may not matter in as much as it didn’t effect our final postion that much but we are in the record books, for the wrong reasons. 

I don't care all too much about Ralph's career, nor do I care about a commentator occasionally saying "hey remember when these guys lost 9-0!?". Neither of those things really bother me, I don't have particularly thin skin.

If JWP left, that would bother me. If I had to see all our talented youngsters (Salisu, Tella, Adams, Diallo, Livramento, KWP, ect.) fulfilling their potential with Villa or Palace instead of us, that would bother me. If instead of watching my team go toe to toe with Liverpool and City I had to watch them take on the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, that would bother me. If we lost Ralph and brought in Pardew, Howe or someone like that, that would bother me.

Relegation matters more than one bad result as relegation completely changes a team, one bad result is a slightly tedious commentator talking point until they get bored and discuss something else.

• Like 3

Just now, TWar said:

I don't care all too much about Ralph's career, nor do I care about a commentator occasionally saying "hey remember when these guys lost 9-0!?". Neither of those things really bother me, I don't have particularly thin skin.

If JWP left, that would bother me. If I had to see all our talented youngsters (Salisu, Tella, Adams, Diallo, Livramento, KWP, ect.) fulfilling their potential with Villa or Palace instead of us, that would bother me. If instead of watching my team go toe to toe with Liverpool and City I had to watch them take on the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, that would bother me. If we lost Ralph and brought in Pardew, Howe or someone like that, that would bother me.

Relegation matters more than one bad result as relegation completely changes a team, one bad result is a slightly tedious commentator talking point until they get bored and discuss something else.

Why are you bothered about who your team plays against? You’ve mentioned it twice now. Do you go to watch your team or the opposition?

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

In terms of impact on the club, of course relegation is bigger. 

However; as Turkish has said, relegation happens and it’ll happen to us eventually. 9-0 doesn’t. I don’t think any other managers would survive 1 9-0 defeat, let alone 2. For me, it highlights deep rooted issues with mentality of the squad and some fundamental issues with the manager tactically. 

I think it highlights two very very poor goalkeeping displays and one instance of massively poor defensive depth. One is being addressed and the other is, infuriatingly, not. But will be next summer hopefully.

Just now, Turkish said:

Why are you bothered about who your team plays against? You’ve mentioned it twice now. Do you go to watch your team or the opposition?

I like good football. I want to see my team play the highest level football against the highest level opponent. I don't want us to play hoofball root one championship football against poor quality championship sides. Obviously seeing your team play and beat teams at the highest level is more satisfying, otherwise I'd go watch football down the park, it's a lot cheaper.

• Like 2

Two attacking players to replace him is absolutely what we need, similar to Villa replacing Grealish with 3 players.

I'm hoping we can get Armstrong and Edouard as my first choice, but would be okay with one of them and somebody else on loan with an option. I still think we desperately need another 6 as well.

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Anyone with an athletic subscription want to give the highlights?

Basically reads like this forum.

Says no one could believe the Aston villa offer that amount for ings (enquiries has been for half that). 

We won't meet the Blackburn valuation so have submitted a "final offer". 

Obafemi has returned in good condition and with a better attitude. 

Edited by Saint86

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Boom...

A vague article setting up some ifs, buts and maybes hardly justifies "boom". On the two main strikers we've been talking about it doesn't feel were anywhere near signing either.

Let's wait until we actually sign someone.

10 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Boom...

‘Hope’ is the main word here. We’ve been down this hope path before. I’ll Believe it when I see it.

My money is on one and a loan best case. 

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Anyone with an athletic subscription want to give the highlights?

Hoping to sign 2 strikers to replace Ings who club source says can't be replaced. Confident we'll get one before Everton. Ings was expected to be dropped from the starting line up anyway before a ridiculous bid came in from Villa. 

Armstrong - Take it or leave it offer made.

Sorloth - Manager likes him but non starter

Abraham - Not happening

Edouard - On the list but not expected to be our chosen one

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SKD said:

Truly horrific. 

Doesn't the fact that during the same period we started getting results against the Top 6 count for anything? Something that we hadn't done for a few seasons? Is it just the negative that you get off on?

Lookman, please…

Also interesting:  Southampton remain confident of adding two forward players to the squad, and there could also still be the possibility of another deal for a cheap deal academy player from a top side, similar to Tino Livramento’s transfer from Chelsea.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TWar said:

I like good football. I want to see my team play the highest level football against the highest level opponent. I don't want us to play hoofball root one championship football against poor quality championship sides. Obviously seeing your team play and beat teams at the highest level is more satisfying, otherwise I'd go watch football down the park, it's a lot cheaper.

So I guess you’re more of a premier league fan than a saints fan then, which explains a fair bit. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I remember when we hoped to sign Promes, Sessengon, Shaw, Theo after the sale of VVD.

We ended up with Carrillo.

That window was hilarious. Mawson was another name mentioned. Then when we ended up with Carillo we were told how hard it was to get the deal done, yeah right, probably one because Monaco thought it was a wind up

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Lookman, please…

Also interesting:  Southampton remain confident of adding two forward players to the squad, and there could also still be the possibility of another deal for a cheap deal academy player from a top side, similar to Tino Livramento’s transfer from Chelsea.

which article is that from, Please?

Referring to the two 9 - 0's - no one points out that the first one came after Bertrand got sent off by a VAR official who sitting in his warm office and thought a tackle, the ref ignored because of the shocking conditions was a sending off, (No prizes for the name of the VAR official). The team did go to pieces too quickly but the game was reasonably balanced before the sending off. The second was started by an abysmal tackle by a youngster against a top team so we started with ten then another extremely poor referring decision (reversed on appeal) left us with nine. Not all Ralph's fault ? Last season started great then we had the injuries which highlighted the lack of squad depth. The window is still open so there is a chance to change it. I cannot believe how many haters there are on this forum slagging the club off at every chance. Do you really think that you're opinions are going to change the ways that football men at the helm of this club are going to act, they know what they are doing and trying to achieve, so a bit of patience would help. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It feels like Armstrong prefers to go to Palace so whatever our "take it or leave it" offer is just the usual performative "we tried our best" routine.

It does feel like that tbh.

Money is still a massive issue, even with the fee from Danny Ings transfer, as seemingly these 'top' strikers are still going to cost £20m ish. We don't seem prepared to go anywhere near those values.

And to be fair, if Armstrong is out of contract next year then you can understand in that context. £22m they want, which is a bit insane. 

£10-15m and it would be a deal. 

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It feels like Armstrong prefers to go to Palace so whatever our "take it or leave it" offer is just the usual performative "we tried our best" routine.

Trying to throw your weight around with A ‘take it or leave it’ offer, when other clubs are interested, is hilarious. 

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Shame on you for forgetting Sturridge :) 

Good point.

That window was certainly an exciting window for rumours, but what an absolute mess Les and Wilson made of it.

They didn't help in the next summer window either when we started blowing £16m on Elyonoussi, 13 on Gunn, 22m on Vestergaard. And there was the end of the VVD 'fortune'.

Edited by S-Clarke