Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

2 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Dan Sheldon says we are pushing to make it permanent. Can't see it myself as he's only just signed new contract. Positive signing either way imo 

Exactly this.  Makes no sense for them to sell him.

13 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

In a backs-to-the-wall defensive set-up, Bednarek excels. No one better at last-ditch blocks and tackles.

It's when we're attacking and need to defend against a fast break that he's vulnerable.

Agreed. He’s great at defending in the box, pretty exposed playing in a high-line, high-pressing team. Unfortunately for us that’s how we’re set up to play. I like him, he’s just not right for these tactics

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

No we wouldn't. You only really need 4 senior centre backs. We'd have Salisu and Bednarek as first choice, Stephens as back up and then need another player. Plus have the likes of Simeu in the under 23 team.

Do you honestly think that’s a premier league standard CB partnership that won’t leave us scrabbling around at the bottom end?

This squad and preparation aren’t looking great and probably are down on quality on an already low quality squad from last year.

13 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

A fit Ox benches Redmond or Djenepo all day long. In fact he benches Long also.🤣

Would be one of the first names on the team sheet. Head and shoulders above anything we’ve got

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Would be one of the first names on the team sheet. Head and shoulders above anything we’ve got

Yep, 100%. 

Whenever we’re linked with squad players from big clubs some of our fans turn their noses up, but the majority walk straight into our team. 

6 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Hopefully Long and Obefemi

Exactly my thoughts.

LOVE the Ox rumour, BTW.  Absolute class, but those injuries...................................

6 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Ox good bit of news to throw into Little Mix of transfer rumours

WHHHEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Edited by SuperSAINT

His injury record at both Arsenal (11 injuries in 6 years missing 154 games) and Liverpool makes for pretty uncomfortable reading. Obviously he had the big ACL injury but there doesn’t seem a part of his body that he hasn’t pulled / tweaked / strained / torn / knocked or whatever. If that’s still the case then he won’t be much use to us in the treatment room. 

Ox would strengthen the squad. He doesn't have to play every match or even 90 minutes if we are deepening the squad that is exactly what's needed. I reckon the bad days of recruitment are over and the present Board are making realistic moves this summer.

2 minutes ago, Saint_dane said:

Am I the only one who would be pushing for Stephens/Salisu partnership this season?? Thought they looked great on Wed - This may be why I am not a football manager... 

stephens does this. He looks great for a few games then he reverts to his usual self, lapses in concentration have blighted his career. If he could consistently be the player he is when he comes back into the side we’d have a good player on our hands, sadly time after time he isnt.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Saint_dane said:

Am I the only one who would be pushing for Stephens/Salisu partnership this season?? Thought they looked great on Wed - This may be why I am not a football manager... 

I definitely there’s potential there. Stephens/salisu offers a bit more balance in terms of his ability to bring the ball out vs bednarek/salisu

• Like 2

Seems like Broja will happen. Could be a nice bench option as a but different to our other forwards but unless there is an option/obligation to buy it seems a bit odd in that it cannot be too difficult to find a young forward who we feel we can develop but who is actually our own player and one we can increase the value of.

On the flipside, if there is one PL club to become a favoured loan club for it is probably Chelsea.

With Armstrong, Edouard, Sorloth and Abraham unlikely it will be interesting to see which other names pop up. At this stage it would suggest that we will sign someone as yet unnamed...

2 hours ago, saint lard said:

Not sure I could cope with the nostalgia if we got the Ox linking up with Theo. 
I’d be moist whatever happens. 

Too much like the stunner who left you in your early twenties only to return following her divorce with three kids in tow at forty-five.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

stephens does this. He looks great for a few games then he reverts to his usual self, lapses in concentration have blighted his career. If he could consistently be the player he is when he comes back into the side we’d have a good player on our hands, sadly time after time he isnt.

I’d be interested to hear from those closer to the action if, as I suspect, communication at the back is an issue. I don’t see a defensive leader back there who could keep awareness and concentration levels up, and that’s a recipe for problems. It’s magnified if the keeper isn’t a strong communicator - and I’m certain that McCarthy isn't. Stephens needs someone like that but I haven’t seen it coming from - and don’t really see it coming from - KWP, Bednarek or Salisu.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

I’d be interested to hear from those closer to the action if, as I suspect, communication at the back is an issue. I don’t see a defensive leader back there who could keep awareness and concentration levels up, and that’s a recipe for problems. It’s magnified if the keeper isn’t a strong communicator - and I’m certain that McCarthy isn't. Stephens needs someone like that but I haven’t seen it coming from - and don’t really see it coming from - KWP, Bednarek or Salisu.

I think you are right, we’ve lacked a leader at the back for a long time. Stephens with Fonte or similar could have been a good pair, I don’t see any of our current defenders or keepers as the leader/organiser every defence needs. 

• Like 1

Borja looks like a unit and had a great loan spell at Vitesse Arneham with 10 goals last season. Could be good business that for us hopefully with an option to buy. Tom Leach said that we are currently working on two deals at the moment, so Borja is one, I wonder who the other one is. I really hope its Edouard. Chamberlain on loan too would be great. 

Edited by davefizzy14

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Borja, Chamberlain and Armstrong in, Obafemi and Long out….

Poss Vestergaard out and an older more experienced head in….Phil Jones?

Wouldnt be the worst window in the world…

Chamberlain and Jones would miss so many games through injury I doubt we'd really count them as squad members 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Greenridge said:

His injury record at both Arsenal (11 injuries in 6 years missing 154 games) and Liverpool makes for pretty uncomfortable reading. Obviously he had the big ACL injury but there doesn’t seem a part of his body that he hasn’t pulled / tweaked / strained / torn / knocked or whatever. If that’s still the case then he won’t be much use to us in the treatment room. 

Him in midfield; Phil Jones in defence. Add in Carroll to solve our striker worries and we're sorted. Can't see a downside.

Edited by stknowle
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

We don't need players in Oxlade-Chamberlains position and he would be an expensive loan.  Better than what we have got but we need a striker and a defensive midfielder.  Bit concerning that we're linked as it makes me wonder if we're about to sell JWP (which then makes AOC affordable)?

The manager has been on about signing a 'number 6' for weeks so it's not related to any potential JWP sale (which won't happen). An extra body in there would ensure that Armstrong is not having to move out of his best position to cover if/when we get an injuries to JWP/Romeu/Diallo. 

15 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

We don't need players in Oxlade-Chamberlains position and he would be an expensive loan.  Better than what we have got but we need a striker and a defensive midfielder.  Bit concerning that we're linked as it makes me wonder if we're about to sell JWP (which then makes AOC affordable)?

It's TalkSport FFS.

16 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

We dont need one in that we've got a lot of bodies but in reality Oxlade-Chamberlain would walk into the team ahead of anyone else in that position. If we can get him and have the money to do it then why not? I'd rather a season of him than Redmond passing in sideways and moaning at everyone else. 

15 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

Exactly it’s a bit worrying some of the players we are being linked with.. we don’t need oxo especially on loan,,

the young Chelsea striker if it’s only a loan is also a bit bizzare.. we need to replace ings ffs and not with a frikkin loan.. 

I’d still like us to go for Darwin Nunez