Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So I guess you’re more of a premier league fan than a saints fan then, which explains a fair bit. 

You guess wrong. I supported saints in league one, I supported them in the championship, and I support them in the premier league. But while I supported them in the lower leagues I was wanting them to get promoted, get better, and eventually be a team that could stand toe to toe with Englands best. Now they are here I realise how much work went into getting here and how much better we play than we did back then. I don't want my side to go back to being a championship level football team. If I was "more a fan of the premier league" then why would I care, I'd just support a different prem side if we got relegated?

I couldn't give a fuck if some overpaid pundit brings up the 9-0, just like I didn't care when they banged on about liverpool taking our players, I don't really care what they think.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 6

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Good point.

That window was certainly an exciting window for rumours, but what an absolute mess Les and Wilson made of it.

They didn't help in the next summer window either when we started blowing £16m on Elyonoussi, 13 on Gunn, 22m on Vestergaard.

I was going to post the telegraph screen-grab of the Sturridge headline but realised people would go absolute mental and think it was now 😂😂

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

I was going to post the telegraph screen-grab of the Sturridge headline but realised people would go absolute mental and think it was now 😂😂

Do it! I'd be interested in the flash back to the days when we actually did have money!

13 minutes ago, John D said:

Article also says fee is the issue for Edouard and that we may go for a cheap option from top club academy

Pretty depressing read really

Depending how you read the academy player bit, that might not be a forward. 

Edited by SuperSAINT

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

Trying to throw your weight around with A ‘take it or leave it’ offer, when other clubs are interested, is hilarious. 

Depends on the size of the offer I guess. Sounds like Palace are offering about £12m plus addons and Norwich aren't interested, according to their local press. If we offer £16m or so then they need to decide if they think Palace will eventually go past that because we are walking away if it doesn't get accepted.

5 minutes ago, Saints4Prem said:

Referring to the two 9 - 0's - no one points out that the first one came after Bertrand got sent off by a VAR official who sitting in his warm office and thought a tackle, the ref ignored because of the shocking conditions was a sending off, (No prizes for the name of the VAR official). The team did go to pieces too quickly but the game was reasonably balanced before the sending off. The second was started by an abysmal tackle by a youngster against a top team so we started with ten then another extremely poor referring decision (reversed on appeal) left us with nine. Not all Ralph's fault ? Last season started great then we had the injuries which highlighted the lack of squad depth. The window is still open so there is a chance to change it. I cannot believe how many haters there are on this forum slagging the club off at every chance. Do you really think that you're opinions are going to change the ways that football men at the helm of this club are going to act, they know what they are doing and trying to achieve, so a bit of patience would help. 

How many other teams go down to 10 and lose 9-0? Remember when we played Newcastle and we absolutely battered them after they had two players sent off? Oh wait 

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

The Athletic article MLG posted above. 

Reads to me that they want two forwards, one of which could be a Livramento type deal. Not two plus an academy signing.

Armstrong - basically not happening

Sorloth - not an option

Eduoard - too expensive 

Abraham - only after a loan, Chelsea want sale so not happening

Fck knows who our main target is then.

Just now, ErwinK1961 said:

Reads to me that they want two forwards, one of which could be a Livramento type deal. Not two plus an academy signing.

Sorloth - not an option

Eduoard - too expensive 

I think we give a take it or leave it offer to Blackburn and if they accept we buy a decent second forward, if they don't we get Edouard and an academy option.

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I can’t think of too many academy forwards from big sides who would be permanent & cheap.  Even young ones who have gone out to lower leagues like Morgan Rogers at Man City are priced at £10m. 

Just now, Chapel End said:

Christ this thread is depressing, thank you will be at the games and not have to read this stuff as much.

Is it that surprising? Lost probably our best player whose basically kept us up for two seasons and haven't replaced him as yet. Of course there's going to be some negativity we look likely candidates for relegation at this stage. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

You guess wrong. I supported saints in league one, I supported them in the championship, and I support them in the premier league. But while I supported them in the lower leagues I was wanting them to get promoted, get better, and eventually be a team that could stand toe to toe with Englands best. Now they are here I realise how much work got into getting here and how much better we play than we did back then. I don't want my side to go back to being a championship level football team. If I was "more a fan of the premier league" then why would I care, I'd just support a different prem side if we got relegated?

I couldn't give a fuck if some overpaid pundit brings up the 9-0, just like I didn't care when they banged on about liverpool taking our players, I don't really care what they think.

That’s the point though isn’t it. You seem very concerned about who saints are playing. It’s all about watching them against Man United and you name check Sheffield Wednesday as someone you don’t want us to play against. Sheffield Wednesday a hysterically big club with a famous old stadium and a cracking away day. I guess that’s where we differ, I’m only interested in watching one team, who the other side are is pretty irrelevant. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Sorloth - not an option

Eduoard - too expensive 

They were the four that only Friday the athletic said were 🤣

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

That’s the point though isn’t it. You seem very concerned about who saints are playing. It’s all about watching them against Man United and you name check Sheffield Wednesday as someone you don’t want us to play against. Sheffield Wednesday a hysterically big club with a famous old stadium and a cracking away day. I guess that’s where we differ, I’m only interested in watching one team, who the other side are is pretty irrelevant. 

Only watching one team would be pretty boring, a lot of goals though since there would be no one in the nets.

So are you hoping for relegation then? We'd win more in the Championship no doubt. If a win against Liverpool is no more impressive to you than a win against has-beens like Sheffield Wednesday maybe you'd be more happy watching us go down a league.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Only watching one team would be pretty boring, a lot of goals though since there would be no one in the nets.

So are you hoping for relegation then? We'd win more in the Championship no doubt. If a win against Liverpool is no more impressive to you than a win against has-beens like Sheffield Wednesday maybe you'd be more happy watching us go down a league.

Hilarious. What I mean is I’m only going to watch saints, who the opposition is makes no odds. In fact games against big clubs are usually hideous. We usually lose, on the wrong end of refs decisions and have cocky away fans giving it large with them often in the home areas. So whilst it’s nice to beat them now and again and the semi final at anfield was one of the best nights I’m not really a big fan of plucky little saints upsetting the odds now and again. Id certainly rather we won against Sheffield Wednesday than lost against Liverpool. You also don’t get any more points for beating a big club

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

How many other teams go down to 10 and lose 9-0? Remember when we played Newcastle and we absolutely battered them after they had two players sent off? Oh wait 

When we play teams that have a player sent off the excuse usually starts with “ it’s hard playing against 10 men”.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TWar said:

You guess wrong. I supported saints in league one, I supported them in the championship, and I support them in the premier league. But while I supported them in the lower leagues I was wanting them to get promoted, get better, and eventually be a team that could stand toe to toe with Englands best. Now they are here I realise how much work went into getting here and how much better we play than we did back then. I don't want my side to go back to being a championship level football team. If I was "more a fan of the premier league" then why would I care, I'd just support a different prem side if we got relegated?

Those 9-0s will be an unwanted stain on our history for many years. However, I do agree with you, I've always wanted Saints to dine at the top table, even if it's a struggle a lot of the time.  I have a mate who supports Coventry, a club that were basically our twin sister back in the 90's.  They were relegated from the Prem 20 long years ago and following them has, quite frankly, been pretty dire ever since. 

Not looking for an argument with anyone, I just have my view and respect that others have a different one.  I just think our glass is at least half full.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

A vague article setting up some ifs, buts and maybes hardly justifies "boom". On the two main strikers we've been talking about it doesn't feel were anywhere near signing either.

Let's wait until we actually sign someone.

Like most Saints articles in The Athletic it doesn’t really tell most fans much that they didn’t know already 

Wouldn’t be surprised if the main forward we sign hasn’t been mentioned in any of these ITK articles. 

Of the names that are out there I still think Armstrong is the most likely. But that’s just a hunch. 

“Southampton remain confident of adding two forwards to the squad, one of whom could be another cheap deal for an academy player from a top side — similar to full-back Tino Livramento’s recent transfer from Chelsea.”

So what promising forwards do the big clubs have that we might look to??

1 minute ago, EBS1980 said:

“Southampton remain confident of adding two forwards to the squad, one of whom could be another cheap deal for an academy player from a top side — similar to full-back Tino Livramento’s recent transfer from Chelsea.”

Delap?

2 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

1 minute ago, Nolan said:

Delap?

If we assume it’s permanent, I doubt he’d be cheap. 

3 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Troy Parrott?

36 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I can’t think of too many academy forwards from big sides who would be permanent & cheap.  Even young ones who have gone out to lower leagues like Morgan Rogers at Man City are priced at £10m. 

Yup me neither. I think your Broja shout is probably the nearest I can think, but it won’t be £5m!

Would love Delap, but he would cost way more than we’d be willing to pay, especially if we want 2.

8 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

4 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Troy Parrott?

On a season loan in League 1.

https://www.mkdons.com/news/2021/july/troy-parrott-joins-on-loan

Plus is not good enough to be around our first team like Livramento is.

Edited by Matthew Le God

37 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Is it that surprising? Lost probably our best player whose basically kept us up for two seasons and haven't replaced him as yet. Of course there's going to be some negativity we look likely candidates for relegation at this stage. 

Why be negative about our current situation when we know we are going to bring players in?

45 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think we give a take it or leave it offer to Blackburn and if they accept we buy a decent second forward, if they don't we get Edouard and an academy option.

The problem with Venkys is they're so incompetent they may reject a bid that they ought to accept. But hopefully we've made a decent offer now and they'll take it

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

Just now, skintsaint said:

Will be that ex Millwall trialist 1 chap then.

He does not fall into the category of "deal for an academy player from a top side — similar to full-back Tino Livramento".

He is out of contract, not from a top academy and not good enough to go straight into our 1st team. If he signs it'll be to play in our B team.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

He does not fall into the category of "deal for an academy player from a top side — similar to full-back Tino Livramento".

He is out of contract, not from a top academy and not good enough to go straight into our 1st team. If he signs it'll be to play in our B team.

Kazaiah Sterling 

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Is the 'top club' limited to England?

Wondering if we may take advantage of the dire Inter situation to snap up one of their young players.

Eddie Salcedo? I swear I saw us linked with him in the past.

The Celtic defender? Hjelde?

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I doubt it, he is not remotely good enough to be in our first team.

A 22 year old striker released by Spurs after not scoring in 3 loan deals in League 1 or the Scottish Championship.

I am just spamming random names out there to keep you busy on google tbh.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Lol, are you serious? Can't watch the other 11 players on the field? Your childish digging at twar is very immature. Most on here see you and company as negative Nancy,s. Twar had bested you with grace and intelligence,  yet your retorts are petty and infantile. You look to denigrate him at every chance  why? Because his opinions are better, more liked, challenges your opinions with sense not gibberish.  And if he is wrong will admit it. 

Heil SKD, wanna jump in?

I applauded you SKD, you have been better with your posting style, there was some positive things and acceptance of others opinions that did not go unnoticed. Not perfect but the change was welcome! Saints warriors prepare for battle!

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Hilarious. What I mean is I’m only going to watch saints, who the opposition is makes no odds. In fact games against big clubs are usually hideous. We usually lose, on the wrong end of refs decisions and have cocky away fans giving it large with them often in the home areas. So whilst it’s nice to beat them now and again and the semi final at anfield was one of the best nights I’m not really a big fan of plucky little saints upsetting the odds now and again. Id certainly rather we won against Sheffield Wednesday than lost against Liverpool. You also don’t get any more points for beating a big club

So your opinions on other teams players or who we buy is irrelevant because you don't watch other teams, got it!

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

A 22 year old striker released by Spurs after not scoring in 3 loan deals in League 1 or the Scottish Championship.

How good does a player need to be in your criteria to be good enough for our first team.

Michael Obafemi and Shane Long have just spearheaded our attack in our last pre season friendly which is ludicrous.

They may not be in our first team squad at the end of August but they are now and could well be for our first game of the season.

The same applies to Moi, maybe he too will be shipped out before the window ends but signs are he will be staying.

Yan Valery also another one ?

Ralph also wanted to keep Lemina who was deemed not good enough for the last 3 years.

Bit of a trend going on with all these players not good enough for our first team but now possibly staying.

17 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

the benchmark to be in/around our first team is as low as it has been since our return to the premier league.

We are woeful

2 words - Shane & Long

Why on earth we gave him another deal a couple of years ago, will remain one of lifes great unsolved mysteries.  I know of fans who applauded the contract.  Madness

Edited by AlexLaw76

1 hour ago, TWar said:

When we went down I enjoyed some of my best years as a fan. Away days at some new grounds where the fans were real fans, seeing us win regularly, the joy of promotion. The home games were great too. Fans knew who the players were, they didn't go after 80 mins to beat the traffic. I wanted us to do well as a club, but having watched us cheat relegation many times, seen the money men take any sense of real competition out of the game, I knew we'd never actually be able to go toe to toe with the big boys. 

Whilst I'm happy we're a premier league club, I'd still spend my money going to watch us play whatever league we're in. Salford City or Man Utd are both a 200 ish mile drive to watch my team play and have day out. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Lol, are you serious? Can't watch the other 11 players on the field? Your childish digging at twar is very immature. Most on here see you and company as negative Nancy,s. Twar had bested you with grace and intelligence,  yet your retorts are petty and infantile. You look to denigrate him at every chance  why? Because his opinions are better, more liked, challenges your opinions with sense not gibberish.  And if he is wrong will admit it. 

Heil SKD, wanna jump in?

I applauded you SKD, you have been better with your posting style, there was some positive things and acceptance of others opinions that did not go unnoticed. Not perfect but the change was welcome! Saints warriors prepare for battle!

Have you been drinking?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, egg said:

When we went down I enjoyed some of my best years as a fan. Away days at some new grounds where the fans were real fans, seeing us win regularly, the joy of promotion. The home games were great too. Fans knew who the players were, they didn't go after 80 mins to beat the traffic. I wanted us to do well as a club, but having watched us cheat relegation many times, seen the money men take any sense of real competition out of the game, I knew we'd never actually be able to go toe to toe with the big boys. 

Whilst I'm happy we're a premier league club, I'd still spend my money going to watch us play whatever league we're in. Salford City or Man Utd are both a 200 ish mile drive to watch my team play and have day out. 

Spot on. Which was exactly the point I was trying make, you said it better than I did. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Papers are still talking about Lookman for Burnley or Palace.

He scored more goals under Hassenhuttl at RBL in 11 games than under Scott Parker at Fulham in 35. We've got to be in for him, surely? 

He may fancy working with Hassenhuttl again?, some extracts below from a Guardian article from an interview in Feb this year. Hussenhuttl left Leipzig at the end of the 2018 season only 4 months after Lookman joined though.

“Ralph Rangnick [Leipzig’s director of football] had been to watch a few of my games at Charlton. He’d known of me for a long time. So I spoke to him and to Ralph Hasenhüttl [then Leipzig’s manager] and they were confident I would do well in the Bundesliga. I had that same belief.”

He stresses that Hasenhüttl “helped me a lot. I remember there was a time where he told me I needed to be more selfish. I looked at my game and I was like: ‘Yes, he’s right.’”