Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

7 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Bednarek shouldn't be first choice. We need a partner for Salisu. 

Bednarek is absolutely fine as first choice for a team looking to finish about 10th at best, he is an established international and gets a lot of unfair criticism on this forum. I'd be surprised if the club looked to demote him to the bench this summer.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Bednarek is absolutely fine as first choice, he is an established international and gets a lot of unfair criticism on this forum. I'd be surprised if the club looked to demote him to the bench this summer.

I think the views are quite balanced really. In general terms he is a very average centre back, capable of having some decent games, backs against the wall etc. But then there are games where he simply forgets how to defend, they were quite common in the 2nd half of last season.

I don't think we'll replace him, he's certainly first choice. I'm hopeful that having some pace alongside him (Salisu) will help him a bit and stop leaving him so exposed. If we had aspirations of top 6 then yeah, for sure...needs to be replaced, but for mid-table, looking towards top 10...he's fine.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Bednarek is absolutely fine as first choice, he is an established international and gets a lot of unfair criticism on this forum. I'd be surprised if the club looked to demote him to the bench this summer.

He can't pass. Along with having GKs who can't pass, it kills our possession game. Lost count of how many times we played ourselves under pressure because of a few poorly weighted/directed balls between Bednarek and the rest of the defence.

42 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I wish it was anybody else reporting it but TalkSport saying we're looking at Oxlade-Chamberlain on loan as well.

Saw that myself, can't help but feel that's a pie in the sky rumour to be honest.

Liverpool will need him this year, they're a midfielder down with Gigi Wijnaldum gone.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I think the views are quite balanced really. In general terms he is a very average centre back, capable of having some decent games, backs against the wall etc. But then there are games where he simply forgets how to defend, they were quite common in the 2nd half of last season.

I don't think we'll replace him, he's certainly first choice. I'm hopeful that having some pace alongside him (Salisu) will help him a bit and stop leaving him so exposed. If we had aspirations of top 6 then yeah, for sure...needs to be replaced, but for mid-table, looking towards top 10...he's fine.

I'm in your camp overall that Bednarrk is no more than average but I so think that him and Vestergaard were both shown up by the absence of Romeu for so many games in the 2nd half of the season. More protection in front and he should be fine. I like Salisu alot and if we could possibly find someone of his ilk again that would be great.

43 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I wish it was anybody else reporting it but TalkSport saying we're looking at Oxlade-Chamberlain on loan as well.

He's a shadow of his pre-ACL-injury self. Pace gone. Can't stay fit. Played 90 minutes once since Feb 2018.

Not sure what he'd bring other than a bit of nostalgia.

Just now, Instant Classic said:

In for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain according to TalkSport:

All these moves got me thinking about when Saints participated in some kind of academy gathering with teams across Europe. They then talked about signing local players with a connection to the club as well as bringing through the ranks. I’ve no doubt someone else will recall it better than I but it feels like we’re heading in that direction 

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Saw that myself, can't help but feel that's a pie in the sky rumour to be honest.

Liverpool will need him this year, they're a midfielder down with Gigi Wijnaldum gone.

Surely it shows ambition which according to most is sadly lacking at the club

Perhaps you are right it is Pie in the Sky just like ambition

2 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I'm in your camp overall that Bednarrk is no more than average but I so think that him and Vestergaard were both shown up by the absence of Romeu for so many games in the 2nd half of the season. More protection in front and he should be fine. I like Salisu alot and if we could possibly find someone of his ilk again that would be great.

For me it’s a season in which Bednarek can become a decent CB, but the key is confidence. Most of last year it was undermined by things going on around him - losing Romeu, always having to defer to Stephens (who would carry the ball for 20 yards before giving it away), covering Vest’s brain farts, losing KWP and being asked to mark Saint-Maximin, the debacle at Old Trafford, and so on. He looks much more assured with Poland.

I think there’s a much better player in there, and we have to find a way to bring him out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

What does that actually mean when used as a description of a footballer? 🤔

I did a quick google and came up with "having qualities that are seen as typical of a particular person, group, or thing."  So I guess he means that bednarek has qualities fairly typical of a centre back that are neither particularly poor or particularly good either.  Somewhere in the middle if you will.  I don't think he means average in the statistical sense of the word (you know like mean, median and average). 

Anyway, words are tricky aren't they?  Sometimes I struggle with the really complicated ones and even a few of the supposedly easy ones.  I find google is pretty good for those types of things but don't worry - sometimes asking is the better route and don't you ever feel ashamed for asking even if it turns out to be fairly simple.  Everyone needs to start somewhere and no one will think any the less of you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

I did a quick google and came up with "having qualities that are seen as typical of a particular person, group, or thing."  So I guess he means that bednarek has qualities fairly typical of a centre back that are neither particularly poor or particularly good either.  Somewhere in the middle if you will.  I don't think he means average in the statistical sense of the word (you know like mean, median and average). 

Anyway, words are tricky aren't they?  Sometimes I struggle with the really complicated ones and even a few of the supposedly easy ones.  I find google is pretty good for those types of things but don't worry - sometimes asking is the better route and don't you ever feel ashamed for asking even if it turns out to be fairly simple.  Everyone needs to start somewhere and no one will think any the less of you.

Unless you state the level you are comparing him with that doesn't work as a definition. If he is an average centre back for the entire Premier League, then that is fine, as a 10th place season would be a very good outcome for Saints.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It seems that Chelsea/Tuchel think we’ll have a much better season than some of our fans. They wouldn’t be throwing talented youngsters like this into a confidence killing shitshow.

• Like 3

Unless you state the level you are comparing him with that doesn't work as a definition. If he is an average centre back for the entire Premier League, then that is fine, as a 10th place season would be a very good outcome for Saints.

Which if you read my post, is exactly what I said at the end. You go round the houses to prove points that are of no benefit what so ever.

We're on here to debate football.

• Like 6

Doesn't that assume that everyone else in the squad is average though? Or are you saying having one average player guarantees you 10th?

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

10th isn't the average place in the PL.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

Broja And the ox would be very shrewd business on loan.

With the Vestergaard sale, that would leave us spending 45 million on a CB and a permanent striker signing.

And we get one of our academy players back again after Theo.

Agree with this. 

i Don’t know anything bout Broja, but a loan seems pretty low risk, Ox would offer us some more quality in the 10 and leave us a decent budget to improve other areas we need improving, as you say, CB and ST. We should have a decent chunk to spend on a player in each position. 

45 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Bednarek is absolutely fine as first choice for a team looking to finish about 10th at best, he is an established international and gets a lot of unfair criticism on this forum. I'd be surprised if the club looked to demote him to the bench this summer.

I don’t rate him at all. Has a touch of Yoshida about him, came in as cover and found himself as first choice by default. 

Wouldn’t read much into him being an international considering he only plays for Poland. 

He’s good at throwing his body on the line, but concentration is shocking, which leads to him losing his man far too often. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

You realise what you say isn’t gospel and a lot of people think he’s garbage and lacks concentration? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Agree this could be exciting, but more if we are buying him, not keen on a straight loan with no option on them.

The lad isn't likely to make the Chelsea team while lukaku, havertz, pulisic, werner, etc, are there. He's on a very long contract and if we does well here and his path is still blocked there, everyone might want the loan extended. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

The lad isn't likely to make the Chelsea team while lukaku, havertz, pulisic, werner, etc, are there. He's on a very long contract and if we does well here and his path is still blocked there, everyone might want the loan extended. 

Yeah that makes sense, and the long contract suggests he won’t join perm, maybe it is a 2 year loan, I’ve seen some of those more across Europe. 

8 minutes ago, Appy said:

You realise what you say isn’t gospel and a lot of people think he’s garbage and lacks concentration? 

"A lot" 🤣

He's not been in the starting line up only 6 times since Hassenhuttl became manager.

Hes a £25mil+ CB at the moment.

Just now, Billy the Kidd said:

Yeah that makes sense, and the long contract suggests he won’t join perm, maybe it is a 2 year loan, I’ve seen some of those more across Europe. 

Yep, possibly a loan with an option...of another loan. Chelsea will like their players here on loan, Tuchel and Ralph's teams play in a similar way. 

Just now, egg said:

Yep, possibly a loan with an option...of another loan. Chelsea will like their players here on loan, Tuchel and Ralph's teams play in a similar way. 

Yeah I thought that, and loved the Chelsea game when Tuchel first joined when we played them. 

It makes sense for us to use clubs like Chelsea to almost be a uk feeder for some of their talent, ones where we can buy young and cheap, even if they buy back for £20-30m more in a few years, helps with our total lack of investment and sustainable model. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

No we wouldn't. You only really need 4 senior centre backs. We'd have Salisu and Bednarek as first choice, Stephens as back up and then need another player. Plus have the likes of Simeu in the under 23 team.

Yes we would. Stephens and Bednarek just aren’t good enough.

4 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Yes we would. Stephens and Bednarek just aren’t good enough.

Yep, can’t disagree with that. Bednarek has been a first team regular for a side that finished 16th, 11th, and 15th. If we’re saying that staying up is the benchmark then yes, he’s probably good enough. If the benchmark is to break the top ten, then no he isn’t. And if that isn’t the benchmark aim, then what’s the point at all?

12 minutes ago, Nolan said:

"A lot" 🤣

He's not been in the starting line up only 6 times since Hassenhuttl became manager.

If anyone offered that I’d drive Jan there myself. Ings, JWP, Romeu, KWP, Armstrong and arguably Adams we’re our better players last season and the reason we finished 15th and not relegated. A whole team of Bednarek’s standard would go down.

I sometimes wonder if some of you ever watch other games than ours. Or even take notice of how opponents line up against us. We need a good strong and agile defensive midfielder. This would add cover to our back 3/4. I have not seen a CB that makes no mistakes. Ours may do so more often because they have no cover from our midfield.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nolan said:

"A lot" 🤣

He’s better than Stephens, wow, get the bunting out. 

Don’t really see the we should be aiming higher than a young cb who plays regularly for Poland. More importantly the club and manager clearly rate him as the former always plays him and the later gave him a new long term contract.

as for oxlade chamberlain link. Where would he play? We seem loaded with 10’s, but our mid is very settled.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Don’t really see the we should be aiming higher than a young cb who plays regularly for Poland. More importantly the club and manager clearly rate him as the former always plays him and the later gave him a new long term contract.

as for oxlade chamberlain link. Where would he play? We seem loaded with 10’s, but our mid is very settled.

The Ox wouldn't play he'd be in the treatment room.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Given that this time last year many of our fans were championing Stephens in centre midfield I’m amazed Ralph thinks we need a player who can play centre back and defensive midfield, we already have one.

He’s the front sweeper we’re clearly crying out for.

• Haha 3