Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

Apparently PSG need to reduce squad size or wage bill to facilitate Messi, wouldn't mind seeing if any loan deals available there.

Perhaps Diallo's older brother as a Vestegaard replacement, or Idrissa Gueye if possible over Delaney as a short-term fix.

It might be pie in the sky stuff but I wonder if there is anything there. 

If we can upgrade on Vest and maybe bring in a quality attacking mid with the money from Vest plus the remaining £15m and any extra from Oba ect. then I think we have definitely improved our starting 11. If the season starts right now I think our depth is better with a new back up forward and rightback.

An easy win to improve the squad/starting 11 would be a new GK, really puzzles me why that isn't higher up our priorities list.

A lot of focus on replacing Ings' goals, which of course is important - but if we cut down the amount we conceded by say, 15, then surely that would be an easier solution to help bridge the gap.

Would be great if we could find our 'Dawson / Evans' style signing at CB, think that would majorly help out. Delaney at CM would be great too. All for signing excellent young talents, but have to be offset by some experience too. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

An easy win to improve the squad/starting 11 would be a new GK, really puzzles me why that isn't higher up our priorities list.

A lot of focus on replacing Ings' goals, which of course is important - but if we cut down the amount we conceded by say, 15, then surely that would be an easier solution to help bridge the gap.

Would be great if we could find our 'Dawson / Evans' style signing at CB, think that would majorly help out. Delaney at CM would be great too. All for signing excellent young talents, but have to be offset by some experience too. 

Agreed, a new goalie, Fraser on the bench and Alex gone would do wonders to our ability to keep the ball out of our net.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Where is the Sam Johnstone the West Brom keeper going? I notice he was on the bench when they played Bournemouth at the weekend.

21 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Not signing Evans was criminal, we should have been all over that. Available for less than £10million if I remember correctly.

Just now, Saint_clark said:

At the time, possibly. Granted they were league winners but if we'd got in early enough we might have been able to swing it.

Not sure about that, but anyway, maybe we did speak to his agent early and didn't get any encouragement. Maybe he didn't want to move down south. Hard to know what happened really

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Not signing Evans was criminal, we should have been all over that. Available for less than £10million if I remember correctly.

3 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Would he have chosen us over Leicester?

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

At the time, possibly. Granted they were league winners but if we'd got in early enough we might have been able to swing it.

When he signed for WBA it was reported he wanted to stay in North, wouldn't have changed with his next transfer. Same for Maguire I thought.

24 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

We seem to really lack leadership and communication at the back. It should come from both the keeper and a CD, but with us it comes from neither, especially when the quiet McCarthy is in goal. I'd trade youth for aging legs and leadership in a heartbeat because I think it will make those around him better than we've seen so far. The Vestergaard replacement is pivotal for our season.

My pet peeve with the club is the multi-year inability of the academy to develop a keeper who can challenge the Top 2. Spending big money on a keeper is something clubs like us just can't afford to do, given all the other priorities, which makes the academy failure all the more galling.

Just now, CanadaSaint said:

We seem to really lack leadership and communication at the back. It should come from both the keeper and a CD, but with us it comes from neither, especially when the quiet McCarthy is in goal. I'd trade youth for aging legs and leadership in a heartbeat because I think it will make those around him better than we've seen so far. The Vestergaard replacement is pivotal for our season.

My pet peeve with the club is the multi-year inability of the academy to develop a keeper who can challenge the Top 2. Spending big money on a keeper is something clubs like us just can't afford to do, given all the other priorities, which makes the academy failure all the more galling.

The 3rd goal Saturday could have been avoided if McCarthy had shouted to Bednarek and came for it was no danger really

49 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I still think we need a starting quality CB to be brought in.  Salisu is very inexperienced and the others; well, errr, a NO from me.

We will get a vestergaard replacement. I can't see us getting two new cbs, we may get a dm who can also provide cover at the back possibly? 

1 minute ago, CanadaSaint said:

In the 50 years plus I have watched Saints we have never produced a high quality keeper. It seems strange when we can just churn out left backs.

• Like 2

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

The 3rd goal Saturday could have been avoided if McCarthy had shouted to Bednarek and came for it was no danger really

I didn't see the third goal, but the first was also a communication failure. The ball was going out but there was no call so we headed it out for the needless corner from which they scored.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

In the 50 years plus I have watched Saints we have never produced a high quality keeper. It seems strange when we can just churn out left backs.

Very few clubs in the top leagues produce their own quality keepers. Most drop down the leagues and then work their way back up, making it back to the Prem once they have a decent chunk of experience.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CanadaSaint said:

I didn't see the third goal, but the first was also a communication failure. The ball was going out but there was no call so we headed it out for the needless corner from which they scored.

McCarthy is far too passive as a 'keeper. He needs to realise part of his job is to shout clear warnings and instructions to his defender as all decent goalkeepers do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

And it's not just that we don't seem to produce any good keepers. It's also that we don't do well at correcting the glaringly obvious faults in the senior keepers. Forster's slow feet, vulnerability to low shots, and reluctance to dominate the box aerially, and McCarthy's piss poor communication and distribution.

This weakness in goalkeeping coaching is either going to cost us a lot of goals or a lot of money. Right now we're settling for the goals.

• Like 1

Just got this from the Rovers fans. The prevailing opinion is this

1 When you are the underdog playing the big boys (City, Liverpool, Man U etc) with their high backlines, I think he will be a great outlet for you.

Ball over the top on the break, his pace will get him in, and he is clinical in those situations. 

However, when you are up against the Crystal Palace/West Ham types, and you do your possession based tactics,  not sure how well he will perform there. Link up play isn't brilliant, and he often gets frustrated and tries potshots from 30 yards, when laying it off to the winger is by far the better option. 

2 I think you’re right to be unconvinced about Armstrong at the top level. At our level he needs about 4 good chances per goal scored and I don’t think he’ll get that many chances at top level. He’s not shot shy in any way, in fact he pulls the trigger from distance too often.  Heading ability is ordinary. Pretty quick pace wise but not lightening fast. One on one with the keeper, I could be wrong ,but I can’t remember him ever scoring. If I had to put my house on him being a success in the prem I’d say no but I hope he proves me wrong as he always did his best for Rovers.

Just passing on their thoughts

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I think there was some expectation about Gerry Gurr in the late 1960's (just outside your 50 years though) but he was finished by injury at a young age. 

Other than that I can't think of too many coming through the ranks. Steve Middleton (mid-70's), and Keith Grainger (1980's) who received a couple of understandable drubbings when pitched in too early due to injuries.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

1 When you are the underdog playing the big boys (City, Liverpool, Man U etc) with their high backlines, I think he will be a great outlet for you.

Ball over the top on the break, his pace will get him in, and he is clinical in those situations. 

However, when you are up against the Crystal Palace/West Ham types, and you do your possession based tactics,  not sure how well he will perform there. Link up play isn't brilliant, and he often gets frustrated and tries potshots from 30 yards, when laying it off to the winger is by far the better option. 

2 I think you’re right to be unconvinced about Armstrong at the top level. At our level he needs about 4 good chances per goal scored and I don’t think he’ll get that many chances at top level. He’s not shot shy in any way, in fact he pulls the trigger from distance too often.  Heading ability is ordinary. Pretty quick pace wise but not lightening fast. One on one with the keeper, I could be wrong ,but I can’t remember him ever scoring. If I had to put my house on him being a success in the prem I’d say no but I hope he proves me wrong as he always did his best for Rovers.

I watched a fair bit of Armstrong last season and think this a very fair assessment 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I watched a fair bit of Armstrong last season and think this a very fair assessment 

Ings was pretty prolific in that he didn't need many chances to hit the back of the net... Armstrong sounds like the opposite of that!!

22 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Seems to be contradicting himself there. Clinical with the ball in behind but never scored a one on one.

Maybe I've misunderstood.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Even in the YouTube video, he scored a few one on ones.  Not buying totally in top what they are saying.

When judging strikers you need to take into account when they score their goals & the outcome of those goals. There’s stats for everything so there’s got to be stats around how many winning goals they scored, how many saved a point. I’ve seen plenty of blokes who score in easy wins or score in 3-1 loses. Off the top of my head, Danny Ings scored at important times, & scored when we really needed a goal. He was pretty ruthless at big moments. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

When judging strikers you need to take into account when they score their goals & the outcome of those goals. There’s stats for everything so there’s got to be stats around how many winning goals they scored, how many saved a point. I’ve seen plenty of blokes who score in easy wins or score in 3-1 loses. Off the top of my head, Danny Ings scored at important times, & scored when we really needed a goal. He was pretty ruthless at big moments. 

Romelu Lukaku was the ultimate flat track bully in the Prem. Would rack up 20 goals a season for Everton, normally spread over about 12 games, in comfortable wins. So I agree, it’s very important.

6 hours ago, Badger said:

Ditto.

Armstrong easily the best 'baldie' we've had, ahead of (if you'll excuse the term) Chris Marsden , and according to older members of my family better than Jimmy Melia.

Pleased with prospect of AA joining. Slight concern is whether he's too short but he's actually the same height as Keegan and Steve Moran, so lofty expectations already set. Plus hopefully also bring in the Chelsea youngster.

Just the CB situation, back up FB, DM, and please a GK to sort out now (now that would be greedy).

Don’t have a go at Jimmy Melia - I remember one match, when finding himself centrally 6 yards out from goal, he stroked a beautiful ball out to John Sydenham on the left touchline.

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Armstrong (if it happens) - great news!

Would love us to buy a solid CB though. Bednarek has never filled me with confidence.

Surprised a GK isn’t higher on our list to be honest, a light breeze would blow the ball calmly past McCarthy, never thought I’d see a keeper so easy to beat.

Generally when funds are limited it's a good idea to focus on where you are weakest, I too am surprised that having conceded 66 goals last season we haven't gone for a keeper and a centreback.

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Generally when funds are limited it's a good idea to focus on where you are weakest, I too am surprised that having conceded 66 goals last season we haven't gone for a keeper and a centreback.

TBF I think that now ings has gone we are weakest in attack now. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

TBF I think that now ings has gone we are weakest in attack now. 

Still not so sure. Only one team conceded more than us last season, but we scored more goals than 8 others and even the same amount as Everton up in 8th. 

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Agree, we could do with offloading Vestergaard and getting in a decent centre back with more mobility plus a goalkeeper.

1 minute ago, Pat from Poole said:

Still some way to go before Armstrong signs.

Still has to agree personal terms.

Adam Blackmore’s tweet today hinted this may not be a formality.

He’s said goodbye to everyone at Blackburn and is coming for a medical tomorrow. Sounds pretty much done to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, angelman said:

Are we writing him off before he's even signed? 

No not at all. He’s probably as good as we could get/afford but he will take a bit of polishing and patience. He needs to be more aware of others in better positions. 
I am basically pleased though. 

• Like 2