Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

Messi to Barca apparently confirmed according to Fabrizio Romano.

What a squad PSG have assembled, to be managed by Poch!!! So many egos that nothing would be more satisfying than to see them lose a CL semifinal. 

Ramos, Winjaldum, Donnarumma and Messi all without spending a penny on transfer fees. Strong rumours Pogba will run down his contract and join them next summer. This is going to be the future i think. Top players signing on free transfers for big wages only staying for the duration of their contract.

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Even worse is that i can remember when Kerry Dixon was good so quite excited when we signed him!!

In fairness, there was a time when he was probably just abut the best striker in the country. Had Speedie and Pat Nevin supplying him and he couldn't stop scoring. I remember him scoring quite a few on an England tour to the US just as Lineker was starting to make a name for himself. Was never the same after a hamstring injury against Liverpool in the FA Cup, but was definitely a busted flush by the time he came to us.

Edited by Viking Saint

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ramos, Winjaldum, Donnarumma and Messi all without spending a penny on transfer fees. Strong rumours Pogba will run down his contract and join them next summer. This is going to be the future i think. Top players signing on free transfers for big wages only staying for the duration of their contract.

It highlights even more than ever the importance of a good academy system too. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I’m surprised it’s taken this long for the penny to drop with them TBH. It does not bode well for a club like us that needs to get transfer fees in.

2 hours ago, TWar said:

I actually am based just outside Birmingham at the moment and most of the people are lovely. I have a lot of Villa fans on my football team and they are a very pleasant and humble bunch. The internet just seems to bring out the worst in people.

I'm in Redditch but work in Edgbaston and all the Villa fans i work with are doing my head in all convinced JWP is going to sign. They've been unbearable all summer with their love for Jack Grealish. i thought once he'd gone they'd quieten down but with Ings signing & JWP talk I cant cope lol 

11 minutes ago, westmidlandsaint said:

I'm in Redditch but work in Edgbaston and all the Villa fans i work with are doing my head in all convinced JWP is going to sign. They've been unbearable all summer with their love for Jack Grealish. i thought once he'd gone they'd quieten down but with Ings signing & JWP talk I cant cope lol 

Oh fair enough, I'm over in Tile Hill but I play football twice a week in Solihull. They all seem pretty negative about Grealish being off but no one seems to really believe they will get JWP, they were amazed they got Ings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TWar said:

I actually am based just outside Birmingham at the moment and most of the people are lovely. I have a lot of Villa fans on my football team and they are a very pleasant and humble bunch. The internet just seems to bring out the worst in people.

That's the key part of this. I know lots of villa fans and people from around Birmingham, they're all pretty nice decent people, and i actually couldn't say a bad word about a single villa fan that I know in real life... but that all changes as you venture into the city proper 😨 😛

55 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

Just a thought, do Chelsea have any good keepers in their academy?

If we sign anymore players from chelsea and we're going to start getting ridiculed 😅 - But then, if they're all good, who cares?

• Like 1

Anyone got the time and skill to put together a depth chart?

I suspect it will show that, for most positions, we have fairly quietly developed much more depth than we had last year - especially as some of the new arrivals can play in several positions.

It should also show that some of the more unreliable/inconsistent players (Redmond, Djenepo, even Theo) will be under more pressure to deliver this year, and that we have more options for adapting our style to the opponent and/or the game situation.

Of course, the glaring exception is GK.

34 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

Anyone got the time and skill to put together a depth chart?

I suspect it will show that, for most positions, we have fairly quietly developed much more depth than we had last year - especially as some of the new arrivals can play in several positions.

It should also show that some of the more unreliable/inconsistent players (Redmond, Djenepo, even Theo) will be under more pressure to deliver this year, and that we have more options for adapting our style to the opponent and/or the game situation.

Of course, the glaring exception is GK.

image.png.06e9f62ae9dfbb059284bc4e9febfa9e.png

Something like that, I imagine Vest will be off and replaced by someone else, with any luck they'll bench Bednarek. Also hopefully a back up LB comes in with a back up CM so Smallbone and Djenepo can be taken off those roles.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TWar said:

Something like that, I imagine Vest will be off and replaced by someone else, with any luck they'll bench Bednarek. Also hopefully a back up LB comes in with a back up CM so Smallbone and Djenepo can be taken off those roles.

Smallbone doesn't even appear to be back in training yet, so going to be a long time before he is back up to speed. Putting Djenepo as backup LB is just papreing over the cracks. We are still weal in DM and LB, and if Vest goes at CB, oh and GK where we are even weaker than before now that Gunn has departed. I think attacking wise we are in a better position accepting that Ings has gone, we have more strength in depth.

Thanks TWar. That looks quite encouraging to me, and certainly better than last season. Hopefully we'll focus more on getting the ball wide early, rather than farting around at the back, and Ralph will be able to quell his obstinate loyalty to wide players who are too quick to turn back.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Smallbone doesn't even appear to be back in training yet, so going to be a long time before he is back up to speed. Putting Djenepo as backup LB is just papreing over the cracks. We are still weal in DM and LB, and if Vest goes at CB, oh and GK where we are even weaker than before now that Gunn has departed. I think attacking wise we are in a better position accepting that Ings has gone, we have more strength in depth.

Yeah I'd be surprised if we don't get an LB in and we will definitely replace Vest if he goes, if atleast with a depth option and start Bed/Sali. I think with regards to Smallbone, I think our real 3rd/4th choice CM is Stuart Armstrong given we have so much depth in attacking mid. He probably just drops back and we see one of Walcott, Redmond, or Djenepo take his place.

3 minutes ago, iansums said:

Yes, it says that clearly at the top of the post, but thanks anyway :facepalm:

In all fairness, it didn't when I initially posted it. I just got so excited that I didn't bother checking for stupid details like that. I'd like to say that it will teach me...But it won't. So when I saw the poor photoshop, I put the disclaimer in the post :D

1 minute ago, Instant Classic said:

In all fairness, it didn't when I initially posted it. I just got so excited that I didn't bother checking for stupid details like that. I'd like to say that it will teach me...But it won't. So when I saw the poor photoshop, I put the disclaimer in the post :D

Easy thing to do, I got all excited when I saw it too haha

19 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I understand that Livramento can play well on the left, so might also cover for/challenge Perraud to save Djenepo having to get involved...

39 minutes ago, TWar said:

dan sheldon has recently written about how ralph is an admirer of ryan finnigan. we might see him at some point this season in the role jankewitz filled last season

https://theathletic.com/2758767/2021/08/09/the-premier-league-2021-22-breakthrough-stars/

Just now, Maya's Dad said:

dan sheldon has recently written about how ralph is an admirer of ryan finnigan. we might see him at some point this season in the role jankewitz filled last season

https://theathletic.com/2758767/2021/08/09/the-premier-league-2021-22-breakthrough-stars/

That's interesting, thanks! Does he mention if he is more of a box to box midfielder or a pure DM?

Won't be too much more time of guessing as I'd assume/hope we'll find out if we can expect any more arrivals during the fans forum.

Expecting something along the lines of 'we're always active in case a new possibility comes up' leading to no new arrivals. Hopefully someone asks directly about Delaney so I can stop getting my hopes up on that one.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Are we still interested in Oxlade-Chamberlain? Or was that just some made up gossip.

Made up gossip I'd have thought. Felt like a pie-in-the-sky rumour as soon as I saw it.

Our focus now needs to be on a defensive utility player.

Edited by S-Clarke

I know people have talked about Livramento being able to play on the left but I'd like another left back in before anything else.  The idea of relying on someone out of position if anything happens to Perraud doesn't fill me with confidence and we still don't know what Perraud will be like with any great certainty either.  If we can do that then it's a reasonably decent squad that should be able to handle injuries to an extent.