Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

55 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's the fella I was thinking of - fits our profile, like you said...1 year left, should be available for around 14/15m.

CB/CM....ticks a lot of boxes. Be interesting to see how we replace Vestergaard, although I do feel that the club see Salisu as the immediate replacement.

It really is.  Do we replace the aerial power? Or are we going for a utility player to cover 2 positions?  Or do we go for somebody to come in as a starter?

I hope whoever we replace vestergaard with we for once aren’t obsessed by how much we can sell him for in 3 years time. We need strength, leadership and experience as well. I’d like to see us bring this in even if it’s Gary Cahill for a year as a stop gap. Sadly I think we’ll go for another inexperienced player and hope it works. Crap goalkeepers and an inexperienced back 4 is not a good combination.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I hope whoever we replace vestergaard with we for once aren’t obsessed by how much we can sell him for in 3 years time. We need strength, leadership and experience as well. I’d like to see us bring this in even if it’s Gary Cahill for a year as a stop gap. Sadly I think we’ll go for another inexperienced player and hope it works. Crap goalkeepers and an inexperienced back 4 is not a good combination.

We need to replace with someone with a bit of big league experience and seniority. 26, not 21.

Basically someone like the Vestergaard we Hughes signed three years ago. Hopefully the one we do sign starts a bit better.

Edited by CB Fry

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Ozan Kabak seems to being touted around the Prem.  Didn't really take notice of him at Liverpool.

Anyone know if he was any good?

21 years old.  Fits our criteria of young (& hungry) cc: @Turkish

He was alright I thought, did a job for them. Used the ball well/played out well from what I can remember.

He was quite a comedy signing because of the mess Schalke were in defensively whilst he was there. They must be keen to ship him out, given they were relegated.

21 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Spurs signed Romero, West Ham signing Milenkovic.

I really don’t think there has been much other serious interest.

You can buy more than one player. Shocking I know

Pretty nervous about our defence again now. And the keeper. If we ship goals how long will Ralph be given? All season? Come on saints. Surprise us again with some good business. Not convinced about Phillips. 

45 million for two older players entering the final years of their contracts is fantastically good business. I have high hopes for Salisu this season. Hopefully we'll get at least one CB in before the window is shut.

Edited by mcbendy
Typo
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, mcbendy said:

45 million for two older players entering the final years of their contacts is fantastically good business. I have high hopes for Salisu this season. Hopefully we'll get at least one CB in before the window is shut.

45? More likely it’s nearly to 30 plus some add ons if Villa or LCFC win anything in the next x years. 

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We need to replace with someone with a bit of big league experience and seniority. 26, not 21.

Basically someone like the Vestergaard we Hughes signed three years ago. Hopefully the one we do sign starts a bit better.

Yep, dunno about 26, I'd be happy with 36 rather than 21. We need some proper experience back there. As it is, we're going into the season with Bednarek as our senior defender. 

7 minutes ago, Pancake said:

45? More likely it’s nearly to 30 plus some add ons if Villa or LCFC win anything in the next x years. 

£25m potentially rising to £30m for Ings, £14m rising to £17m for JV.  Way more than £30m

• Like 1

Hijacking Newcastle's move for Kamara makes too much sense. Equally comfortable at CB and DM like Ralph said he wanted, fee of the kind we can pay, currently on his I think 2nd contract at Marseille and sort of player who would probably be sold for a profit after 3 years which fits with what Semmens said yesterday.

Would prefer to spend the money on a proper GK and sign a backup CB on loan with Bednarek and Salisu as first choice but looks like that's not happening.

45 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The talk on Twitter is already about how much we can sell them for in the future, before they’ve even signed FFS  

1 minute ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

He's a midfielder. 

Still an ideal candidate for us.

Didn't realise the previous comment was specifcally about CB's in which case I hang my head in shame having only skim read the previous post or so.

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

this dude can play cb and defensive midfield.

1yr left on his contract

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2021/newcastle-offer-e14m-for-marseille-midfielder-boubacar-kamara/

Also honourable mention in evan ndicka at frankfurt whose a cb who can cover left back

Are we officially setting this in motion, compadre?  #BoubacarWatch

Ndicka was linked to us last year, IIRC.

27 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

£25m potentially rising to £30m for Ings, £14m rising to £17m for JV.  Way more than £30m

Probably 10% "loyalty" fee to the outgoing players as they haven't asked to leave, a big chunk to the new guys as signing on fees, agents fees on all the deals. £39m fees isn't £39m in real money. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

£30m spent

vestergaard makes it c£55m in (less Liverpool £2m)

plus a lot of the big earners off the payroll now. 

Shouls be looking at two to three additions with that 

DL / DC / DM, please.

(We clearly aren't going for a left-back though as we're seemingly going the Djenepo route)

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

DL / DC / DM, please.

(We clearly aren't going for a left-back though as we're seemingly going the Djenepo route)

We need someone for all those positions for me. Djenepo at LB is baffling. Absolutely baffling. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Probably 10% "loyalty" fee to the outgoing players as they haven't asked to leave, a big chunk to the new guys as signing on fees, agents fees on all the deals. £39m fees isn't £39m in real money. 

Would like to think we've negotiated that off in order for them to accomplish a 'quick' and convenient move.

8 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

DL / DC / DM, please.

Didn’t redmond fill in at left back at Norwich? Surely even he would be a better option than Djenepo?

My mate who supports Marseille raves about Kamara and says he is worth more than the rumored 15m fee.

I don t really know if we can get him though as there are clubs in Spain who are playing in europe that are after him.

We ll see but its defo someone we should be looking at with huge resale value.

As for his qualities: he is a central defender with the ability to play the 6 position.

he reads the game very well, makes good tackles, is neither slow or fast.

the quality of his passsing is very good and always plays on the front foot.

Time will tell if he is a target.

1 minute ago, stevy777_x said:

I don t really know if we can get him though as there are clubs in Spain who are playing in europe that are after him.

Well, we still have a bit of cash left from the Ings sale… plus the Vestergaard money & the Obafemi £6m might be a pretty handy cherry on top.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

LB would be nice, but as Tino, KWP and Djenepo can also play there it's not urgent. A CB is urgent, a CDM a must before the end of August.

I agree with this 100%. 

The issue we had last year is we had nobody outside of Bertrand/KWP who was competent. Ralph said yesterday that Tino has played plenty on the left so you'd assume he'd be first choice to come in both sides. If we have two injured at the same time then that's seriously bad luck.

12 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I agree with this 100%. 

The issue we had last year is we had nobody outside of Bertrand/KWP who was competent. Ralph said yesterday that Tino has played plenty on the left so you'd assume he'd be first choice to come in both sides. If we have two injured at the same time then that's seriously bad luck.

You say that but Ralph ball is pretty demanding on full backs. If we want to do well in the cups then we’re potentially looking at 45-50 games a season relying on two players. I’d say a decent left back as cover is a priority. Maybe another youngster but someone other than Djenepo as him playing there ever would be a disaster.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

Stop fucking around and get Gary Cahill in, even if we have to eat his wages in the second year of a two year deal. We've managed to lose three of our best players and we've gotten no-one who is tried and tested in the Premier League.

I don't know why we act like we are too good for an old fashioned free transfer. Jeremy Pied and Cuco Martina were pretty shite, granted, but a signing like that at CB or LB would be much better than playing Rubik's cube every time we get an injury (Djenepo at LB - really?). 

Get Cahill on a free, back him up with someone like that Tosin fella from Fulham who can learn a lot under Cahill's wing. Jetro Willems also available on a free in the left back position. We need some experienced bodies through the door, for fuck's sake.

We need a goalie, badly, as well. Looks like Sam Johnstone's list of suitors is dwindling so a loan with an obligation if we stay up would be a great deal if it gets to the end of the window and he wants PL football - we could even chuck West Brom a bone in the form of one of our shite spare shot-stoppers.

Edited by SambaMaverick

28 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Stop fucking around and get Gary Cahill in, even if we have to eat his wages in the second year of a two year deal. We've managed to lose three of our best players and we've gotten no-one who is tried and tested in the Premier League.

I don't know why we act like we are too good for an old fashioned free transfer. Jeremy Pied and Cuco Martina were pretty shite, granted, but a signing like that at CB or LB would be much better than playing Rubik's cube every time we get an injury (Djenepo at LB - really?). 

Get Cahill on a free, back him up with someone like that Tosin fella from Fulham who can learn a lot under Cahill's wing. Jetro Willems also available on a free in the left back position. We need some experienced bodies through the door, for fuck's sake.

We need a goalie, badly, as well. Looks like Sam Johnstone's list of suitors is dwindling so a loan with an obligation if we stay up would be a great deal if it gets to the end of the window and he wants PL football - we could even chuck West Brom a bone in the form of one of our shite spare shot-stoppers.

Cahill is 35 and theres a reason hes been released by Palace. Only played half of their games last season (missed 15 through injury). We missed the boat on him two years ago, would have been a great signing at the time but not now, even on a free transfer (although not really free as he would be demanding hefty wages/signing on fee).

Also dont know why you think we have nobody tried and tested in the PL. The majority of our first team squad have 2+ years PL experience.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

There's experience and then there's a player whose legs aren't what they were. There's a reason he only played 20 Premier League games last season and made no cup appearances and apparently his wages are very high and he wasn't going to agree to a pay cut. He'll be nearly 38 by the end of a two year, £60k a week contract. I agree we would do well with some experience alongside Bednarek and Salisu but there are better options out there. That'd be worse than giving Long a two year contract.

I don't think the club are shy to bring in free transfers, for example we've brought in Walcott, but usually there's a good reason why players are free agents. Jetro Willems would be OK as back up, he did well at Newcastle but then got a really serious injury so it depends on how fit he is. I'd sign him based on the fact his middle name is Sexer.

There are a number of good players in the Championship which IMO we should be interested in, and it's a market we seem to be using in recent years. Bournemouth and Fulham alone have a handful of decent players we should be looking at.

I don't think it is the time to panic though, we have ample players in the squad to start the season with. The issue remains the strength in depth in some positions (CB, LB, CM, and IMO AM) which is more of a long term issue as the season progresses, and we still have 3 weeks of the transfer window to run and money in our pocket. We'll bring players in. We even have another loan slot to use if we want to.

GK though - we will have to make our peace with that this season. Until next summer when we can ship one or both of Forster and McCarthy out the door, I do believe they are our options. Neither have so far got us relegated, so there is a crumb of comfort I guess!

25 minutes ago, negium said:

Diallo's brother kind of fits our brief. Central defender who can play at full back or dm. And psg rumoured to be willing to sell. Would happily take him here

I've never seen him play but a quick stat check (age, height, qualities) makes it look like he'd be a decent signing. Left footed though so he'd be competing for Salisu's slot and I feel like we need someone to better Bednarek on the right. Also TransferMrkt have his value at £22 million so he'd probably be out of our price range.