Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Jesus, the lads made 39 career appearances, kudos to those of you who have seen enough of them to make an informed decision. I know almost nothing about the guy but I'll be prepared to give him a go, certainly over Bednarek. The only player from the back line last season I wanted us to keep was KWP.

Not concern you he's made that many at 24? He looked dreadful for Liverpool, Stephens is not the best but he looks exponentially better for me, and in a much worse team

• Like 1

The Phillips stories won't go away, he seems our 'Armstrong' type target for CB. So expect this to be done for the weekend I reckon. And that will be us done transfer wise.

Struggling to get on board with it though if I'm honest. He's the opposite of what we actually lack at CB.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Not concern you he's made that many at 24? He looked dreadful for Liverpool, Stephens is not the best but he looks exponentially better for me, and in a much worse team

Not really, Romeu had only made 34 does team appearances aged 23 when we signed him and Bertrand only 43 appearances aged 24 when we signed him. 

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

He's played so rarely it's hard to judge him, but from what i saw he could head the ball well but not much else looked impressive. I think Stephens is massively underrated tbh, just lacking a bit of concentration at times and he could be better in the air. 

Personally I'm not convinced we can't do better for £15m.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, egg said:

He's played so rarely it's hard to judge him, but from what i saw he could head the ball well but not much else looked impressive. I think Stephens is massively underrated tbh, just lacking a bit of concentration at times and he could be better in the air. 

Personally I'm not convinced we can't do better for £15m.

Kamara and milenkovic are linked with Newcastle and West ham respectively for around that money and I think both are much better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Salisu and Bednarek are fine for what we need as 1st choice.

It would be a bit niave to go in with those two as first choice. I think we need to take this opportunity to get a new CB who will be first choice, then it's up to Bednarek or Salisu to stake their claim as 2nd.

That's my view anyway. Although It probably won't play out like that.

We'll sign Phillips and we'll have Phillips and Bednarek as our primary pair of slow centre backs.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

How is being 'fine for what we need' = fucked?

I love that you saying we're fine = we're fine and you have completely disregarded any notion that maybe, just maybe, someone else has a different opinion which is as equally as valid. 

• Like 1

Seems we might be getting the Bolton baresi to join our Cornish Maldini.

Not sure about him, not writing him off completely as really hasn’t played enough to have a full judgement.

He was a somewhat feel good story of showing up Klopp and Showing him he should have played the cb he didn’t rate, whilst he farted about with cm’s there. 

He seemed committed/good in the air, very limited with the ball. Not sure about his pace but didn’t look speedy. Maybe good organizer?

Still to me you could go to any warnock/McCarthy team and get someone who’ll go after headers. Unsure at moment what makes him worth the money quoted other than Liverpool branding. Doesn’t seem to offer the really needed ability to play dm as far as I can see either. So i’d Be very worried if he was the final move.

Edited by Baird of the land

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

How is being 'fine for what we need' = fucked?

Because your opinion is not fact. 

You think Salisu and Bednarek are "fine" for us as 1st choice. Many don't agree, and if someone thinks we're "fucked" with that as our first choice pairing, they can have that opinion. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The Phillips stories won't go away, he seems our 'Armstrong' type target for CB. So expect this to be done for the weekend I reckon. And that will be us done transfer wise.

Struggling to get on board with it though if I'm honest. He's the opposite of what we actually lack at CB.

It's definitely not a sexy signing and absolutely doesn't fit the DC/DM combi-player Ralph spoke about.

But, it's almost like the qualities we were looking for are purely aerial.

We don't know what Salisu's ceiling is, I am pretty sure we now experience Bednarek's - the issue is our team is so chaotic that we need very good centre halves to deal with all thrown their way and when we don't we concede the amount of goals we did last season.  I feel sorry for our CB's in some respects, but in others you always get the feeling that a very good CB would make a world of difference.

56 minutes ago, TWar said:

Eric Dier is shit, dreadful suggestion. Have you even watched him? He's fully incompetent. 

I’ve watched him plenty of times, for Spurs and England. I agree with Jose Mourinho, who regularly played and praised him. I don’t know where you get this “fully incompetent “ opinion from, maybe your controller was playing up that day. 

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I was.

So what leads you to your conclusion that we'll be "fine" with Bednarek and Salisu as our first choice CB? What did you see as positives about that partnership? 

There are a lot of Liverpool fans up my way and they all rate Phillips. General consensus is that it’s a shame he’s going but they understand he wants first team football. He was there player of the month in March or April apparently so this idea he was rubbish for them clearly isn’t true. He was a part of the team that went on a great run to seal Champions League football.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TWar said:

Kamara and milenkovic are linked with Newcastle and West ham respectively for around that money and I think both are much better.

I've never heard of either to be fair, but I'm not convinced by Phillips. It's a shame Chalobah has stepped out of the shadows at Chelsea. 

16 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Bednarek is not remotely as bad as some on this forum make out. I'd be happy with him and Salisu as a 1st choice pairing.

I assume that, for you, a lot of this is about defending the verdicts you've passed on our players in FM (a game I haven't played in fifteen years).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikey88 said:

There are a lot of Liverpool fans up my way and they all rate Phillips. General consensus is that it’s a shame he’s going but they understand he wants first team football. He was there player of the month in March or April apparently so this idea he was rubbish for them clearly isn’t true. He was a part of the team that went on a great run to seal Champions League football.

Klopp didn’t pick him much until the end of the season apparently but he put in a few reasonable performances which they judged him on . Vest came back with a new hair cut and seemed to get stuck in for a bit then dropped off a bit for us .

25 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Because as a preferred starting CB pairing they are not good enough.

How do you know that, time may prove you right, it might not. Cannot base that view on one friendly game. I have seen lots of great partnerships get torn to bits in odd games. 

22 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

It's definitely not a sexy signing and absolutely doesn't fit the DC/DM combi-player Ralph spoke about.

But, it's almost like the qualities we were looking for are purely aerial.

If his name was Nathaniali Phillipe people would have a different view 

15 minutes ago, richardc said:

if you were and you still think they are good enough for a 1st choice pairing in the prem then ive lost a bit of the respect that i had of your footballing knowledge

I'm not saying it'll get us challenging for Europe. But it is good enough for a lower mid table team.

4 minutes ago, Bob76 said:

How do you know that, time may prove you right, it might not. Cannot base that view on one friendly game. I have seen lots of great partnerships get torn to bits in odd games. 

I don't rate Bednarek as good enough to be the 'senior' starter of the pair and Salisu has played 50 first team games in his career to date.

Edited by badgerx16

I get that partnerships and individual ability is important but our best defensive unit is well balanced and more than good enough for mid table.

————JWP-Romeu————

Peraud-Salisu-Bednarek-KWP

Two key injuries away from being concerning but would expect one signing soon and one late on in the window to help address that. Think we’ll be looking at similar style deals to Romeu/Bednarek when they were first signed.

23 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’ve watched him plenty of times 

Yeah but we've seen what your knowledge of football amounts to. Sure he let's in a bunch of goals and is a liabity but he once yelled at the left back and it got you all excited

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I don't rate Bednarek as good enough to be the 'senior' starter of the pair and Salisu has played 50 first team games in his career to date.

Fair enough, we all have opinions, I think with a different partner Bednarek could grow into the role, he has, in my opinion been hampered by playing alongside Vesty.

Phillips wouldn't be an exciting signing but having thought about it, we probably need reliable and competent more than exciting at this point, and he does have a few things going for him:

- Experience of PL football, no adaptstion time unlike many of our signings

- Experience of a similar style at Liverpool and Klopp likes him

- Confidence from a really good finish to last season, and I am sure a desire to keep playing games now he had a taste of it

- English player where we have lost a couple, also meaning it would be easier to shift him if it didnt work out

- Height both defending and attacking set plays

• Like 5