Jump to content

Summer Transfer Window 2021


Dusic
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Top ones on there would be Caleta-Car, Kouyate, Tomiyasu (already gone though), Diop (not happening imo), and Tarkowski (never happening). Don't want Cahill, Phillips, Jones. Don't know about a few others.

Tomiyasu hasn't been signed by Spurs yet.

 

It's likely, but Levy is also a thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Same, Chambers is a decent player and versatile too. I dunno if he'd be an improvement on Bednarek but I wouldn't be actively against it as a depth option unlike Dier.

Was quite glad to get shot of Chambers so hope we don't bring him back.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

Tomiyasu hasn't been signed by Spurs yet.

 

It's likely, but Levy is also a thing.

 

1 hour ago, TWar said:

If we could pinch him that would be a lovely deal

Would it be right for us though ? He wasn't interested when we made an approach in January/February wanting to see if bigger things were available, and probably they will be. But if he was available to us are we looking for good signing with potential, or someone to fill the void and do the job now ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

 

Would it be right for us though ? He wasn't interested when we made an approach in January/February wanting to see if bigger things were available, and probably they will be. But if he was available to us are we looking for good signing with potential, or someone to fill the void and do the job now ?

Earlier on in the window Ralph said we would like to make some business early but also hold onto some money for the back end of the window as some deals might fall through and suddenly you might get an opportunity you don't expect. I don't think players like Tomiyasu, Caleta-Car, or Milenkovic would be thinking of saints as their ideal next move but if they find themselves without a prem suitor then maybe the appeal of the league and the sales pitch from Ralph might be able to punt above our weight a bit.

With regards to your second question, he'd be both imo. Better than Vestergaard and probably good enough to start immediately while also being young and full of promise.

Edited by TWar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Appy said:

Christ, our fans are deluded, both would walk into our side. 

Not sure Chambers would. Not been a fan of Dier for England at CB but perhaps he might just be the right choice (IF actually possible) given his ability to play CM too. He might just be a good option as might stay for a few years. 

 

But not seen any links....wondering where the link has come from. Or has someone just suggested him? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hoping we get Milenkovic in at centre back, he's an absolute unit and well within our budget. We could get him for about 15m-17m. We would then still have one domestic loan left to bring in before deadline day - so can use that to strengthen in another area like at fullback. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, davefizzy14 said:

Hoping we get Milenkovic in at centre back, he's an absolute unit and well within our budget. We could get him for about 15m-17m. We would then still have one domestic loan left to bring in before deadline day - so can use that to strengthen in another area like at fullback. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/12380548/tottenham-in-talks-to-sign-nikola-milenkovic-after-west-ham-move-stalls

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, TWar said:

Earlier on in the window Ralph said we would like to make some business early but also hold onto some money for the back end of the window as some deals might fall through and suddenly you might get an opportunity you don't expect. I don't think players like Tomiyasu, Caleta-Car, or Milenkovic would be thinking of saints as their ideal next move but if they find themselves without a prem suitor then maybe the appeal of the league and the sales pitch from Ralph might be able to punt above our weight a bit.

With regards to your second question, he'd be both imo. Better than Vestergaard and probably good enough to start immediately while also being young and full of promise.

Yeah, Tomiyasu is on Spurs' shortlist but there seem to be other players like Pau Torres ahead of him. Could be one that falls on our lap and he may well be the one at the top of our shortlist considering that we apparently tried to sign him in January.

16 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I doubt we'll be gazumping Spurs, West Ham or Wolves for a transfer any day soon.

I would exclude Wolves from that list, the money tap looks shut.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TWar said:

Same, Chambers is a decent player and versatile too. I dunno if he'd be an improvement on Bednarek but I wouldn't be actively against it as a depth option unlike Dier.

Seconded. Getting the band back together...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Appy said:

Christ, our fans are deluded, both would walk into our side. 

Unbelievable isn’t it?  Good enough for Jose & England but not for our play station kings. 
 

They don’t “rate” him because everyone’s heard of him and they don’t get to show of their player knowledge. If he was an unknown from FC Back of Beyond from Uzbekistan they’d be raving about him. 
 

He’s not top quality, but he’s better than most of the shite we’ve got. 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. I'd have Dier or Chambers in a heartbeat. 

Not Chambers. He's barely considered a CB these days. Played most of his football at RB or DM in the last three years.

Arsenal signed him from us as a RB and tried to convert him into a CB and I don't think it's unfair to say that's been a failure.

Why would we sign him back as a CB? Makes no sense.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Unbelievable isn’t it?  Good enough for Jose & England but not for our play station kings. 
 

They don’t “rate” him because everyone’s heard of him and they don’t get to show of their player knowledge. If he was an unknown from FC Back of Beyond from Uzbekistan they’d be raving about him. 
 

He’s not top quality, but he’s better than most of the shite we’ve got. 

You're just raging you cant wind the clock back to the 70s so we can buy some hard man who doesnt wear shinguards and smokes at HT. Modern day game must really annoy you

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Unbelievable isn’t it?  Good enough for Jose & England but not for our play station kings. 
 

They don’t “rate” him because everyone’s heard of him and they don’t get to show of their player knowledge. If he was an unknown from FC Back of Beyond from Uzbekistan they’d be raving about him. 
 

He’s not top quality, but he’s better than most of the shite we’ve got. 

LOL, yes this probably true. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

Can’t believe people turning their noses up at Dier.

A 27 year old with over 200 games for a top premier league side and 40 plus international caps.

WTF 

 

He's not going to sign for us anyway so it's a completely pointless argument.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dier would be a great addition for us, better than any of our current CB's. He can cover midfield and full back too (at a push) so it covers all elements. Is he available though? I've not seen anything suggesting he is.

I'm not sure why fans are turning their noses up to him. Fair enough, if we were looking to win the league or finish Top 4 and we'd signed Dier I'd be a bit underwhelmed....but we're just here to stay in the league and maybe have a flirt with the top 10 if all goes to plan, so on that basis he'd be a massive coup let's be honest.

Personally I think he'll cost too much in both wages and fee, so it's probably a no go. Same with Caleta-Car, they're talking £20m for him. I imagine we've got £15m tops to use. That serb who was off to West Ham, but now isn't, would have been a good option - but if Spurs want him then we have about as much chance as no chance.

The other one on my radar is Kamara who is linked with Newcastle, not over the line yet to my knowledge and they're just about to splurge £25m on Willock...so maybe he has just become available to nab.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Exactly that and I’m not arguing, it’s just unbelievable 

 

Yeah, I didn't think you were.

It's football. I don't know why people are still surprised by others have funny opinions on all sorts of players. I heard fans laying into Le Tissier at the Dell on occasions FFS. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Yeah, I didn't think you were.

It's football. I don't know why people are still surprised by others have funny opinions on all sorts of players. I heard fans laying into Le Tissier at the Dell on occasions FFS. 

Le Tiss like Hoddle was seen by the old school as lazy players , I remember his “goals from nowhere” rather than his work rate !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

You're just raging you cant wind the clock back to the 70s so we can buy some hard man who doesnt wear shinguards and smokes at HT. Modern day game must really annoy you

Not sure what your point is other than to have a pop? I totally agree with Lord D in this instance. We are deluded, I’ve said it before. Apparently the only players good enough for us are players I’ve never heard of.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dier a few years ago yes, but he is not the player he was. As for Chambers, I still can’t believe we got £16m for him. I don’t think he would walk into our side. I think he would just be a squad player if he came back. Hopefully we are looking for something better.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think people have forgotten how many players Poch’s system has made look better than they are. Almost all of Eric Dier’s ‘good’ period in his career was under Pochettino. He’s always looked well out of his depth for England. Ryan Mason, Danny Rose, both looked good for Poch when they weren’t.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Dier a few years ago yes, but he is not the player he was. As for Chambers, I still can’t believe we got £16m for him. I don’t think he would walk into our side. I think he would just be a squad player if he came back. Hopefully we are looking for something better.

At fault for Brentford goal poor defending 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I think people have forgotten how many players Poch’s system has made look better than they are. Almost all of Eric Dier’s ‘good’ period in his career was under Pochettino. He’s always looked well out of his depth for England. Ryan Mason, Danny Rose, both looked good for Poch when they weren’t.

How can you look good when you aren’t,  at elite level? Quite an achievement. Poch the alchemist 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I think people have forgotten how many players Poch’s system has made look better than they are. Almost all of Eric Dier’s ‘good’ period in his career was under Pochettino. He’s always looked well out of his depth for England. Ryan Mason, Danny Rose, both looked good for Poch when they weren’t.

Danny Rose looked good because he was good...and long before Poch was his manager.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I think people have forgotten how many players Poch’s system has made look better than they are. Almost all of Eric Dier’s ‘good’ period in his career was under Pochettino. He’s always looked well out of his depth for England. Ryan Mason, Danny Rose, both looked good for Poch when they weren’t.

Nonsense 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I think people have forgotten how many players Poch’s system has made look better than they are. Almost all of Eric Dier’s ‘good’ period in his career was under Pochettino. He’s always looked well out of his depth for England. Ryan Mason, Danny Rose, both looked good for Poch when they weren’t.

That's not true at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Chez said:

Danny Rose looked good because he was good...and long before Poch was his manager.

Danny Rose was off the back of an unsuccessful loan to Sunderland, and was about to be let go by Spurs before Poch gave him the chance to stay and prove himself. Poch’s system which relied heavily on the physical attributes to press and movement was able to cover up a lot of the technical deficiencies of players like Rose. His career has nosedived since Pochettino left Spurs, and it wasn’t up to much before him. Systems can make players, Klopp’s Liverpool are another great example - many of the players he has signed, other big clubs would’ve turned their nose up at, but they fit his system perfectly. In the same way that I don’t think Nat Phillips would fit ours, he may suit Burnley, Newcastle, even maybe Brighton. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Danny Rose was off the back of an unsuccessful loan to Sunderland, and was about to be let go by Spurs before Poch gave him the chance to stay and prove himself. Poch’s system which relied heavily on the physical attributes to press and movement was able to cover up a lot of the technical deficiencies of players like Rose. His career has nosedived since Pochettino left Spurs, and it wasn’t up to much before him. Systems can make players, Klopp’s Liverpool are another great example - many of the players he has signed, other big clubs would’ve turned their nose up at, but they fit his system perfectly. In the same way that I don’t think Nat Phillips would fit ours, he may suit Burnley, Newcastle, even maybe Brighton. 

2 of the 3 you mentioned already have very good defensive records for the level they’re at. We don’t. Maybe it’s us that’s the issue?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

I think people have forgotten how many players Poch’s system has made look better than they are. Almost all of Eric Dier’s ‘good’ period in his career was under Pochettino. He’s always looked well out of his depth for England. Ryan Mason, Danny Rose, both looked good for Poch when they weren’t.

I agree with this. Poch has always got players overachieving, he's a class manager. Look at what Lovren, Chambers, Schneiderlin did after us. Even Shaw, Lallana, Lambert didn't really reproduce at their new clubs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I agree with this. Poch has always got players overachieving, he's a class manager. Look at what Lovren, Chambers, Schneiderlin did after us. Even Shaw, Lallana, Lambert didn't really reproduce at their new clubs

Shaw who starred for United and England this year. Lallana was always a tad lightweight and the year we sold him he was injured before the transfer. Lambert was too old when Liverpool bought him but even then he scored for both Liverpool and England.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, SFC Forever said:

Shaw who starred for United and England this year. Lallana was always a tad lightweight and the year we sold him he was injured before the transfer. Lambert was too old when Liverpool bought him but even then he scored for both Liverpool and England.

Shaw obviously went on to fulfill his potential but it has taken him years to get back to where Poch had him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Turkish said:

2 of the 3 you mentioned already have very good defensive records for the level they’re at. We don’t. Maybe it’s us that’s the issue?

I’m not saying it’s not, but it doesn’t mean if we sign Nat Phillips we’re going to suddenly become Burnley defensively. It means more likely he’ll end up looking like Jan Bednarek, whilst maybe Jan Bednarek in Burnley’s defence would look more like James Tarkowski? Get the players who suit the system, otherwise they’ll just look shit, whether they are or aren’t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})

{{comment