Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

12 minutes ago, TWar said:

We made a massive profit on our previous deals, we have something like £25-30m left over, why are we wasting our time with bargain deals in the championship?

I doubt we have that much left over. I know they say we reinvest what we get, but not every penny.

Some of that money will obviously go towards offsetting other losses in light of our non-owner.

We'll be shopping in the 10-15m bracket for a CB as frustrating as that may be to hear.

2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

We should have a poll.

Are we:

a) Being astute in signing upcoming, domestic players from the championship. Or,

b) Preparing for life after relegation?

C)  buying the cheap option and praying we don’t get relegated. 
but if we do…so be it. 

• Haha 1

I just struggle to see how since VVD left, we've struggled to bring in someone who is better than:

• Yoshida
  • Hoedt
  • Vestergaard
  • Stephens

We're still scrapping around for a CB, with all of these being part of a poor defensive side. Hopefully this guy might be a bit better, but I think it would be a shame if we can't upgrade on the current lot....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I doubt we have that much left over. I know they say we reinvest what we get, but not every penny.

Some of that money will obviously go towards offsetting other losses in light of our non-owner.

We'll be shopping in the 10-15m bracket for a CB as frustrating as that may be to hear.

Yeah i'm expecting near the 15M bracket. Even with my very rough calculations i don't see any chance of their being any more than £20M available.

2 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

He’s a former Rangers loanee. That’s why he’s asking his friend’s opinion. 

Apparently has gotten a tonne better since his loan at Rangers, fans on twitter are bigging him up quite a lot, calling him one of the stand out players in the championship

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Apparently has gotten a tonne better since his loan at Rangers, fans on twitter are bigging him up quite a lot, calling him one of the stand out players in the championship

Yeah, after looking through the #NFFC hashtag on Twitter, the majority of them seem to rate him quite highly.

Understandably they've been met with a lot of Saints fans asking about his leadership qualities, which they believe to be an area he excels within.

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Yeah, after looking through the #NFFC hashtag on Twitter, the majority of them seem to rate him quite highly.

Understandably they've been met with a lot of Saints fans asking about his leadership qualities, which they believe to be an area he excels within.

Still feel like we should be aiming higher though. Caleta-Car would be much better imo

• Like 1

After a bit of research Forest conceded the 5th least in the championship despite finishing 17th so that is pretty impressive. They didn't score many so hopefully they aren't just a hyper defensive side and that makes Worrall look better.

I'm personally happy that we're not ignoring the Championship anymore, like we seemingly were when we were signing Boufal, Hoedt, Lemina, Elyounoussi, Carrillo, etc. given our previous success with Adams, Rodriguez and Clyne and seeing players like Maddison and Eze make the step up. 

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

After a bit of research Forest conceded the 5th least in the championship despite finishing 17th so that is pretty impressive. They didn't score many so hopefully they aren't just a hyper defensive side and that makes Worrall look better.

Their manager is Chris Hughton... Whenever I've watched them under him, their primary focus is defending.

If we buy the best of the Championship, then when we go down we have a team ready to back up. 
Gao sells at cut price after it happens and then we get promoted and we can be competitive in the PL again under some more ambitious owners ;););) 

Yes I’m dreaming... although I’m not sure it can be classified as a dream if it means we get relegated :( 

9 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

I'm personally happy that we're not ignoring the Championship anymore, like we seemingly were when we were signing Boufal, Hoedt, Lemina, Elyounoussi, Carrillo, etc. given our previous success with Adams, Rodriguez and Clyne and seeing players like Maddison and Eze make the step up. 

Their manager is Chris Hughton... Whenever I've watched them under him, their primary focus is defending.

can he bring the manager too then please?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

If we buy the best of the Championship, then when we go down we have a team ready to back up. 
Gao sells at cut price after it happens and then we get promoted and we can be competitive in the PL again under some more ambitious owners ;););) 

Yes I’m dreaming... although I’m not sure it can be classified as a dream if it means we get relegated :( 

As the poster above said I've been wanting us to go for the better young championship players for a while, there is good quality to be had there. I mean Robinson, Maguire (I think), Maddison, Clyne, Jay Rod, Eze etc. plus half our team that got promoted did all right stepping up from the Championship.

I think the Championship is better quality than many top leagues in Europe, I'd say getting one of the better players in the Championship is probably less risky than getting the better players in Scotland, Holland, Belguim, Switzerland, Portugal etc. and there is less worry about them acclimatising if they are British. 

Also Villa and Leeds, most of their team are mainstays from the Championship and they have done ok. Not sure there is a huge difference between bottom PL and the Championship. 

• Like 2

West Ham were looking at Worrall, now they're not getting that guy from Italy I can imagine them coming back in for him. 

Highly rated, part of the same England setups (u17's, under 20's world cup etc) as Armstrong. And Crocker would have been part of the England setup when he was breaking through and making an impact in the young sides.

This video is 'interesting', WHU fans debate on signing Worrall.  

JOE WORRALL BATTLE HEATS UP | WEST HAM'S NEW TARGET | WEST HAM TRANSFER NEWS - YouTube

To quickly summarise it - he's a two footed centre back, primarily left sided. Plays balls from the back into midfield to help build up the play. He's a man mountain, huge centre back. Reads the game well, plays it well etc. Only 24, but plays older. Leads etc.

Ticks a lot of our boxes, sounds a similar profile to Caleta-Carr in attributes. Shouldn't' turn your noses up at Championship players, lots of good players snapped up from that league have gone on to be consistent PL players for years to come.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Hopefully we can get the cb signing sorted by midweek.

Maybe controversial but I'd rather we wait for the end of the window and see if any of Milenkovic, Tomiyasu, Kouyate, or Caleta-Car end up without a club to go to and we can pounce. If not I'm sure we can pick up one of Tosin, Kabak, Worrall then but I think waiting till players/clubs get a bit more desperate means we might end with a bargain.

26 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Another "A" to add to the collection. Just Googled and his full name is Abdul-Nasir Oluwatosin Oluwadoyinsolami Adarabioyo. I dare anyone to say that when drunk!

Fits our agenda: young, can improve, tall, Premier League experience and, you know, a fucking CENTRE BACK! 😋 Him and, say, Ampadu would do for me this window. GK and AM too and I would literally sputz in my pantaloons.

I just hope it happens soon, whoever we sign.

Just now, TWar said:

Maybe controversial but I'd rather we wait for the end of the window and see if any of Milenkovic, Tomiyasu, Kouyate, or Caleta-Car end up without a club to go to and we can pounce. If not I'm sure we can pick up one of Tosin, Kabak, Worrall then but I think waiting till players/clubs get a bit more desperate means we might end with a bargain.

To be fair those European players you list will have their sights set much, much higher than Southampton. It's probably a 'thanks, but no thanks' as soon as we express an interest. These guys have aspirations of continuing to compete in Europe, they'll look at us and see that we're nowhere near. It's not just about what we can offer the clubs, it's about the players apatite as well.

I'd expect us to at least put the feelers out on them, we should do given the value they're at, but I wouldn't expect positive responses from the players. I don't think we're that attractive a proposition.

• Like 1

Would imagine Caleta-Car would have better options than Saints, plus I am sure Marseille are not the easiest club to deal with!

Championship is a good place for us to shop, players are used to English football, and if it doesn't work out there is a much easier exit route than for the likes of Hoedt, Lemina, Clasie etc.

Just need to pick the right ones. Personally I don't think we will sign a player who goes straight into the team anyway. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Hopefully we can get the cb signing sorted by midweek.

Why? They aren't going to be thrown into a debut after 2 days training.

Most important to get the right player, no need to panic buy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

To be fair those European players you list will have their sights set much, much higher than Southampton. It's probably a 'thanks, but no thanks' as soon as we express an interest. These guys have aspirations of continuing to compete in Europe, they'll look at us and see that we're nowhere near. It's not just about what we can offer the clubs, it's about the players apatite as well.

I'd expect us to at least put the feelers out on them, we should do given the value they're at, but I wouldn't expect positive responses from the players. I don't think we're that attractive a proposition.

Yeah it's pretty unlikely I'll admit but you never know. I think Spurs and West Ham have courted multiple of them and will likely only buy one each which means the remaining players will be looking for somewhere to land, not sure Saints will be favourable but you never know!

Just now, Dusic said:

Why? They aren't going to be thrown into a debut after 2 days training.

Most important to get the right player, no need to panic buy.

Well we signed Armstrong on a Tuesday and he played on a Saturday.

Even if they aren't ready to play, it would be benefificial to get them in and training with others asap. Ideally have them be able to play in the Newport game.

The vestergaard deal has been sorted since towards the end of last week(and we knew he was likely off all summer and must have had target list identified) so i don't see why we should delay.

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Does Worrall count as a hipster signing or is it ok to like him because he plays in England even if it's not in the Premier League?

Please advise.

If he's not started for a premier league side regularly he's a hipster signing, otherwise how else would people have heard of them? Through the playstations I imagine!

Does Worrall count as a hipster signing or is it ok to like him because he plays in England even if it's not in the Premier League?

Please advise.

He's named after a village near Sheffield, not a Peruvian village, so he's as non hipster as a mug of tea. 

He'd make a bloody good signing though, and I've prefer a proven championship performer to a hipster who'll need a season to adapt. 

• Like 2

Just now, egg said:

He's named after a village near Sheffield, not a Peruvian village, so he's as non hipster as a mug of tea. 

He'd make a bloody good signing though, and I've prefer a proven championship performer to a hipster who'll need a season to adapt. 

I always wondered this, why would a player stepping from the Championship to the Premier league need less time to adapt than someone from the Spanish/French/German league to the premier league?

Do you think the prem is more similar to the English second tier than the German first tier, for example? Quality-wise it is certainly closer to the German first tier. I'm not necessarily saying I think the opposite as I don't know, I just think it's an interesting thing people tend to say quite often and wanted to know what was behind it.

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Please advise.

As no one has quoted his fifa stats or claimed to watch forest everyweek and let me tell you this guy is quality we have to sign him. It’s a no

Just now, TWar said:

I always wondered this, why would a player stepping from the Championship to the Premier league need less time to adapt than someone from the Spanish/French/German league to the premier league?

Do you think the prem is more similar to the English second tier than the German first tier, for example? Quality-wise it is certainly closer to the German first tier. I'm not necessarily saying I think the opposite as I don't know, I just think it's an interesting thing people tend to say quite often and wanted to know what was behind it.

Interesting one, because while the quality of strikers in another top league will be better than the championship, they style of football in that league will be more similar to the Premier League.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Not having to move countries might be a small factor 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

As no one has quoted his fifa stats or claimed to watch forest everyweek and let me tell you this guy is quality we have to sign him. It’s a no

Isn't Chez always banging the drum for us to sign Forest players? We might have to wait until he posts to get a true evaluation.

Also, what it Worrall is an actual hipster? He obviously earns decent money so not beyond the realms of possibility that he listens to music on a restored gramaphone and eats breakfast at a cereal restaurant.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

I'm not sure why, but it happens that way. Take Adam Armstrong, makes his move and comes straight into the team. Adamo Del Armstrongo from some foreign league wouldn't have done that. Cash at Villa did well last season, Watkins too, ditto most of the Leeds players after promotion, etc. 

• Like 1

Isn't Chez always banging the drum for us to sign Forest players? We might have to wait until he posts to get a true evaluation.

Also, what it Worrall is an actual hipster? He obviously earns decent money so not beyond the realms of possibility that he listens to music on a restored gramaphone and eats breakfast at a cereal restaurant.

Come to think of it Chez did suggest him the other day. 

Maybe he drinks in gin bars and speaks very slowly and loudly about left wing politics after all 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Not having to move countries might be a small factor 

I imagine so, plus a language barrier. On the other hand does that offset the fact that the jump in quality between top 5 leagues is significantly smaller than that between the Championship and the premier league?