Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

I did not say that. You are twisting my words yet again! Saying they are 'fine for what we need', is not the same as saying an improvement shouldn't be signed. Try not twisting sentences to say things they don't say! 🙄

So to be clear, you now are saying we should buy an "improvement" on Salisu and Bednarek but that Salisu and Bednarek are fine for what we need as first choice.

So you want us to sign an  "improvement" but they shouldn't get selected ahead of your first choices. 

Crystal fucking clear.

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So to be clear, you now are saying we should buy an "improvement" on Salisu and Bednarek but that Salisu and Bednarek are fine for what we need as first choice.

So you want us to sign an  "improvement" but they shouldn't get selected ahead of your first choices. 

Crystal fucking clear.

I didn't say that either. 

Stop imagining I've said things I haven't said!

We have a choice of Three fit players who play in DM.

We have a choice of Three fit players who play in CM 

Seeing as Ralph has said we need two players for each position. we need to fill the squad.

Given as we looked lost while taking set pieces today, we need someone who is big in the box who can be the target for JWP's balls

80pc of fans know our cbs weren’t good enough last season and we’ve just lost the best of a bad bunch. I genuinely think if we don’t solve that we will have an almighty relegation battle on our hands. Salisu will make mistakes like the rest - need an experienced campaigner there. And the keeper situation should have been solved too. You have to invest if your players and youth aren’t good enough - we’ve decided not to and it’s a false economy as £100m loss from going down is much more than say £30m. I know the response will be ‘we have to live within our means’ - fine, but be prepared for our means to drop £100m a year. That line up today had a huge whiff of championship about it (and yes some of that is due to selection - but certainly not all). On the plus side if we do drop we have a decent championship team !

6 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Desperately need some quality in at centre back, despite some thinking what we have is "fine for what we need". 

Leadership, organisation, a bit of steel.

We're as soft as shit and going down as it stands.

We really do need a quality CB pronto.  As someone pointed out, there was a distinctly Championship look about the starting lineup today. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

I’d rather see us get in a quality keeper. Having someone capable back there would galvanise the back line. I think it’s total folly that we persist with the two we have. Could prove really costly if we drop. 

Careful, i posted about the exact same thing this week, but the hipsters disagreed. Evidently I needed it spelling out to me. Because we’re paying FF & AM we can’t sign another keeper. Mind you, their  not quite so vocal tonight, perhaps it’s starting to sink in. 

Personally I’ve thought we need new wingers. Decent wingers or attacking midfielders who perform consistently. 

Djenpo and Walcott were useless yesterday and were for much of last season. Would happily see them and Redmond leave if replaced with some PL quality players.

• Haha 1

All the reports suggest we are after one more signing at CB. Am I missing something but do we have another loan slot free? If so why would we not use it when the squad is so limited? We have sold over 50m of players and spent around 30, surely we can’t be that skint.

19 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

All the reports suggest we are after one more signing at CB. Am I missing something but do we have another loan slot free? If so why would we not use it when the squad is so limited? We have sold over 50m of players and spent around 30, surely we can’t be that skint.

I’m not sure it matters who we sign, Wreck it Ralph will continue with  his bizarre team selections, persist with his unsustainable game plans and fail to react when he needs to, that’s the way he is.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I’m not sure it matters who we sign, Wreck it Ralph will continue with  his bizarre team selections, persist with his unsustainable game plans and fail to react when he needs to, that’s the way he is.

Probably right but when you sell circa 55m of players and start the season only spending c32 plus the team that finished last season was fucking shit anyway kind of makes it impossible to compete.

happy with who we have signed but we are still in a worse place than last season.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I thought last year for West Brom Semi Ajayi looked quite decent, and big and strong. Looks like he's not in their team this year. Wonder if he could be an option.

Talking of West Brom I always thought Kyle Bartley was a decent centre half. Big lad, leader, organiser and better defender than any we’ve got. Although I’ve just read he’s signed a new deal at West Brom.

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Caleta-Carr ticks a lot of boxes. Saw a link to him earlier, but can't remember where.

Experience in a top league, experience at International level, a very tall, commanding, powerful and ball playing centre back. Not particularly slow. 24 years old, 1 year left on his contract.  Available for around £15m. Experience of the 'RB' programme from Salzburg. He'd be an upgrade on Vestergaard in every way.

If we've not at least tried then we're failing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Caleta-Carr ticks a lot of boxes. Saw a link to him earlier, but can't remember where.

Experience in a top league, experience at International level, a very tall, commanding, powerful and ball playing centre back. Not particularly slow. 24 years old, 1 year left on his contract.  Available for around £15m. Experience of the 'RB' programme from Salzburg. He'd be an upgrade on Vestergaard in every way.

Yeah would love to be surprised with his signing.

Would be a huge upgrade and also a positive signing which might in essence boost a bit of morale to our squad and fans.

Another young player would simply be another ‘preparation to not fail financially’.

We need a marquee CB signing.

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Why didn't Leicester go for him then?

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Yeah would love to be surprised with his signing.

Would be a huge upgrade and also a positive signing which might in essence boost a bit of morale to our squad and fans.

Another young player would simply be another ‘preparation to not fail financially’.

We need a marquee CB signing.

He's exactly the type of player we should be going for. Also young enough that he fits the resale value criteria.

Careful though, because he's foreign and has never played in the Premier League people will accuse anyone who has heard of him as being hipsters and demanding we sign Cahill instead.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

Why didn't Leicester go for him then?

I dunno, best check with their scouts. I imagine the main reason is because they weren't looking for a starting CB, they were looking for a squad option to cover for the next 10 months or so.

• Sad 1

Hoping we are in for Milenkovic or Caleta-Carr. Also Cahill on a free would be good business too.

I also feel like me are missing some creativity for our forwards. Maybe another option as a number 10. We have got one more domestic loan up our sleeve. 

Edited by davefizzy14

1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

Hoping we are in for Milenkovic or Caleta-Carr. Also Cahill on a free would be good business too.

Either of these I think would be very good business and exactly what we need. Cahill not so much IMO, his legs are gone, in and around the squad maybe as a good influence in the squad, but actually playing regularly I can't see him adding very much. 

9 minutes ago, Wiggles31 said:

Cahill is 36 so would need to be 1 of 2 CB signings. He’s only played around 20-25 games a season in the last 2-3 years. Good leadership qualities which this team lacks. 

I agree, if he's signed in addition to another 'younger' CB then I'd be snapping it up. Experience would be invaluable, even if it's only the occasional appearance he makes over 1 year. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I agree, if he's signed in addition to another 'younger' CB then I'd be snapping it up. Experience would be invaluable, even if it's only the occasional appearance he makes over 1 year. 

We’ve already got young centres Backs though? Salisu is 22 and then Simeu is highly rated at 19. Even Bednarek is only 25. I don’t think there is any point signing another young one. We need someone to come in and make difference now. Ideally someone who has been there who can organise them even if it’s a loan or free transfer for a season. 

28 minutes ago, Wiggles31 said:

Cahill is 36 so would need to be 1 of 2 CB signings. He’s only played around 20-25 games a season in the last 2-3 years. Good leadership qualities which this team lacks. 

Anyone know what Martín Cáceres is doing........?

Seriously though, we're gonna need a bit of a leader at CB for more than just one season.

12 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Anyone know what Martín Cáceres is doing........?

Seriously though, we're gonna need a bit of a leader at CB for more than just one season.

Playing regularly for Fiorentina. Such a strange going on with that. 

edit correction he was, he’s feeling agent again, bring him home!

Edited by Turkish

I am guessing we are looking at Caleta-Car - at 23 he fits the profile of the young players with sell on potential we want to sign. 

Closer to home Tosin Adarabiyo at Fulham would also fit the profile at 23 - and at 6ft 5 in would replace some of the height we are missing. Supposedly he was available for a £10M buyout clause earlier in the window - but that has passed now.   

Another would be Ethan Ampadu would fit the remit of someone who can play DM or CB - but at only 6ft lacks the height needed.

Still think we need 2 CBs - a younger one with potential and a more experienced player with experience to provide some leadership.

Surely Ralph, Crocker and Semmens were expecting Vestergaard to leave for a better offer this summer having not signed a contract extension - and given their policy of selling any player with only a year left I am surprised we didn't replace with someone like Kristoffer Ajer or Adarabiyo  before he was sold.

I am still hoping we will sell Elyounoussi, Djenepo and Redmond and upgrade in the AM/No10/Winger positions. Surely we brought Minamino in last season as we didn't think what we had already was good enough. 

I wouldn't have brought Walcott back for the same reason.  

Surely we don't need to be replacing £15m Vestergasrd with a free agent who is without a club for a reason.

Sure we could use a player who has some experience in a top league and shows leadership qualities but that doesnt need to be a 35 or 36 yo.

We should be able to find someone decent with the £15-£20m that we have from the Vestergaard and Ings sales.

The lack of concrete links suggests things are still being worked on.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 3