Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

47 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I agree with this. Poch has always got players overachieving, he's a class manager. Look at what Lovren, Chambers, Schneiderlin did after us. Even Shaw, Lallana, Lambert didn't really reproduce at their new clubs

Exactly. Drinkwater at Leicester was brilliant, because the system suited him perfectly as well as playing alongside a world class CM partner. He’s been terrible ever since. But i’m sure someone on here would say how on earth could we turn our noses up at a player like that because he’s played 5 games for Chelsea so he must be better than all our players.

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

Danny Rose was off the back of an unsuccessful loan to Sunderland, and was about to be let go by Spurs before Poch gave him the chance to stay and prove himself. Poch’s system which relied heavily on the physical attributes to press and movement was able to cover up a lot of the technical deficiencies of players like Rose. His career has nosedived since Pochettino left Spurs, and it wasn’t up to much before him. Systems can make players, Klopp’s Liverpool are another great example - many of the players he has signed, other big clubs would’ve turned their nose up at, but they fit his system perfectly. In the same way that I don’t think Nat Phillips would fit ours, he may suit Burnley, Newcastle, even maybe Brighton. 

Sunderland fans raved about Danny Rose. They think he’s one of the best left back they’ve ever had.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

So who do we think are the shortlisted players for the CB position?

Not the Liverpool player supposedly. 

Tomiyasu is likely one since we apparently tried to sign him in January.

Boubacar Kamara and Jerry St. Juste would fit the description of what we are after, we haven't been linked but other clubs have for the sort of fee we would pay.

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

Danny Rose was off the back of an unsuccessful loan to Sunderland, and was about to be let go by Spurs before Poch gave him the chance to stay and prove himself. Poch’s system which relied heavily on the physical attributes to press and movement was able to cover up a lot of the technical deficiencies of players like Rose. His career has nosedived since Pochettino left Spurs, and it wasn’t up to much before him. 

His loan spell at Sunderland was that unsuccessful that he won their young player of the year. Villas-Boas was equally `unimpressed' and made him first choice left back the following season. He fractured his ankle, but when fit was selected by then manager Sherwood. During the summer he was given a five year contract. Poch obviously wanted to give him plenty of time to `prove himself'. You can rewrite history all you want, but no one is going to tell me Rose was not a good player. He would have had a decent career with or without Pochettino. Poch may well have got the best out of him, he and his system were tremendous for us, but the idea he wasn't any good is not something I agree with. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

Good question! No real CB links, Ralph says JWP is expected to stay, Obafemi doesn't want to go Blackburn. That's your lot I think. 

Crap day so far then as Tottenham seem to be joining Leicester in chasing JWP the club really need to resist all but the most stupid offers for him.  The CB situation is baffling it’s been obvious he was going for weeks and we had shown how it should be done with Armstrong lined up to join as soon as Ings left.  Not what obafemi is thinking as I don’t see home getting a lot of game time this season and when the club have made it clear they don’t want you surely you are better off going!

FAO the RH and the Saints Board:

You see what happens when you deliver us a decent transfer window? You see? Without moaning over shit signings or links to crap players the forum falls apart. Disagreements, infighting, a general absence of peace, love and constructive debate. Staples that we have all come to know and respect in this 'ere baliwick.

Ralph, Martin: I'm not asking for an apology, simple a club statement about how you admire the qualities of Phil Jones will suffice. Oh, and the Five Pledges: we still want those. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Suhari
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

Crap day so far then as Tottenham seem to be joining Leicester in chasing JWP the club really need to resist all but the most stupid offers for him.  The CB situation is baffling it’s been obvious he was going for weeks and we had shown how it should be done with Armstrong lined up to join as soon as Ings left.  Not what obafemi is thinking as I don’t see home getting a lot of game time this season and when the club have made it clear they don’t want you surely you are better off going!

I'd have thought a season at Blackburn playing under Mowbray would be ideal for Obafemi. Can't understand his thinking at all - he's in danger of being another Hesketh or Sims if he's not careful. 

JWP I'd have been relaxed about leaving if it was earlier in the window, but this late is an issue in terms of a replacement. 

CB wise, I'd have loved Chalobah from Chelsea but he's suddenly appeared in their team so he ain't happening. I'm satisfied that we'll get someone in, I'm just hoping it's a starter not a back up. 

14 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

The best deals (i.e. value for money) are often done much closer to the window end as the market becomes more fluid and clubs are more willing to take offers.

Waiting 1-2 weeks might be frustrating, but in reality it will only mean the new player missing 2 premier games. Sometimes it pays to wait - of course there are dangers - last minute deals fall through, key targets go elsewhere before we are ready to move, but I believe that this is the right strategy. So far the window appears to have been well managed although I remain concerned that our team is currently weaker than last season - so getting the right replacements in the next few weeks is critical - I still think that we need a CB (starter), DM (competing for starting place), LB (backup).   

We'll see. 

5 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

The best deals (i.e. value for money) are often done much closer to the window end as the market becomes more fluid and clubs are more willing to take offers.

Waiting 1-2 weeks might be frustrating, but in reality it will only mean the new player missing 2 premier games. Sometimes it pays to wait - of course there are dangers - last minute deals fall through, key targets go elsewhere before we are ready to move, but I believe that this is the right strategy. So far the window appears to have been well managed although I remain concerned that our team is currently weaker than last season - so getting the right replacements in the next few weeks is critical - I still think that we need a CB (starter), DM (competing for starting place), LB (backup).   

We'll see. 

I agree with that, although there's something to be said for paying a premium and getting what you want early on. If not its a dangerous game of whether no other bids brings the price down, or other bids driving it up. I'm of the if you want something go and get school of thought. 

Defo with you on needing a starter CB, another DM, and a LB option. Djenepo at LB is a frightening prospect, and we've not even got Will Ferry or Vokins an emergency options. 

10 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Shaw obviously went on to fulfill his potential but it has taken him years to get back to where Poch had him

I agree that Pochettino is a great manager and forged an attractive yet combative Saints team. However, I don't think that he had much to do with Shaw's footballing ability. Shaw's prodigious talent was spotted incredibly early within the Saints Academy, and he was regularly playing for the U-18s at the age of fifteen before becoming the youngest Saints player to play in the PL at the agre of seventeen under Nigel Adkins.  Man United bought him because of his potential not as the finished article.  I think that the delays to his progress were more down to the fact that when he went to Man United, with all the expectations, at the age of just 18 and was then poorly managed by Mourinho.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Suhari said:

FAO the RH and the Saints Board:

You see what happens when you deliver us a decent transfer window? You see? Without moaning over shit signings or links to crap players the forum falls apart. Disagreements, infighting, a general absence of peace, love and constructive debate. Staples that we have all come to know and respect in this 'ere baliwick.

Ralph, Martin: I'm not asking for an apology, simple a club statement about how you admire the qualities of Phil Jones will suffice. Oh, and the Five Pledges: we still want those. Thanks in advance.

I do legitimately wonder if people on the board take a look at this place every now and then. I think it'd be way too tempting.

If the last page doesn't suggest we need another signing then I'm not sure what will.

15 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You’ve got to wonder what the stat obsessed posters would make of Bobby Moore. 

“Not particularly strong in the tackle, very one paced & not great in the air. It’s a no from me. What  about this guy from The Christmas Islands”. 

I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday.  Great point.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You’ve got to wonder what the stat obsessed posters would make of Bobby Moore. 

“Not particularly strong in the tackle, very one paced & not great in the air. It’s a no from me. What  about this guy from The Christmas Islands”. 

1) What do you think he was good at?

2) Do you not think there are stats for those things?

🤔

• Like 1

On 13/08/2021 at 12:36, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So, what are the potential options for Saints to replace Vestergaard? Here are some of the possibilities including some of the names that have been mentioned and a couple that haven't:

• Nat Phillips, Liverpool - Age 24 - Strongly linked over recent days but rumours now say he is not currently of interest.
  • Duje Caleta-Car - Age 24, Croatian international. Plays for Marseille. Two years left on current contract.
  • Ozan Kabak - Age 21, Turkish international. Plays for Schalke 04.
  • Nikola Milenković - Age 23. Plays for Fiorentina; Serbian international. One year left on contract.
  • Boubakar Kouyate, Metz - age 24 - linked with Saints recently. Also linked with Newcastle and Norwich.
  • Flavius Daniliuc - 20 years old and plays for OGC Nice in France. Has been linked with Saints and West Ham.
  • Thomas Delaney - age 29, Borussia Dortmund. Defensive midfielder. Now linked with a move to Sevilla.
  • Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Arsenal - Age 23, usually left back or central midfield - flexible to play in a range of positions.
  • Rob Holding - age 25, has dropped down the pecking order at Arsenal following the signing of White. Had been linked to Leicester.
  • James Tarkowski - age 28, only one year of contract left at Burnley.
  • Phil Jones - still on the books at Man Utd and only 29 but has had a career blighted by injury.
  • Issa Diop, West Ham - age 24, we were linked with him a few weeks ago.
  • Japhet Tanganga, Spurs - Age 22, he has been mentioned as possible acquisition, but has also been linked with a loan to Galatasaray.
  • Omar Colley - Sampdoria centre back aged 28 yrs and reportedly of interest to Brighton, West Ham and Leeds at present.
  • Philippe Sandler - Man City reserve centre back, aged 24 and Dutch, with only a year left on his contract. Has been training with first team following return from injury sustained on loan at Anderlecht last season.
  • Erik Palmer-Brown - Man City reserve centre back, aged 24 and US international, with only a year left on his contract. Potentially about to move to Serie A side Venezia.
  • Jason Denayer - Belgian International, age 26, only a year left on contract with Lyon.
  • Andreas Hanche-Olsen - Age 24, Norwegian International, playing for Gent in Belgium. Two years left on contract with Gent.
  • Gary Cahill - age 35 and available for free. Surely he is too old??
  • Takehiro Tomiyasu - Age 22, plays for Bologna and Japan. Apparently about to be signed by Spurs.

Any others that I have missed?

Excellent post. Would love us to go for Caleta-Car based on FIFA, but aside from that Tomiyasu, Holding or Tarkowski I’d take.

Tanganga would be good but again it’s the inexperience which would be a worry for me.

I came here to find the latest on who our new CB will be, nothing further on that.

However, I have learnt that a number of our more frequent posters are insecure middle aged men, internally questioning their value in the modern world.

Who knew....

• Like 4

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

If you can't notice the difference between the two sentences I can't help you. They are not remotely the same! 🙄

Implies the same outcome.  Do you believe our defence (throw in the GK for a laugh) are "fine for what we need as first choice"?

Trouble is one Centre back is not enough even in the unlikely event he is any good.

We will still have one of the other clowns making mistakes next to him.

Having watched JWP today and his average dead ball delivery I now believe we should sell and reinvest as we need more.

Djeneppo, Walcott should not be starting games.

Unless Stuart Armstrong was injured he should not have been on the bench and should never be behind those two.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Implies the same outcome.  Do you believe our defence (throw in the GK for a laugh) are "fine for what we need as first choice"?

No, it does not 'imply the same'. 🙄

You really are hard work! Please see below...

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Are you going to pretend you didn't say this?

1) "Please do not ever tell me that our defence (and GK) are "fine" for this season"

2) "Salisu and Bednarek are fine for what we need as 1st choice."

I said a central defence of Bednarek and Salisu are fine for first choice. I did not say the whole defence and goalkeeper are fine for first choice. McCarthy is a liability and Bednarek and Salisu were not playing together today.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

1) "Please do not ever tell me that our defence (and GK) are "fine" for this season"

I said a central defence of Bednarek and Salisu are fine for first choice. I did not say the whole defence and goalkeeper are fine for first choice. McCarthy is a liability and Bednarek and Salisu were not playing together today.

You obviously do not believe a new starting CB is required/essential.  To improve our defence, where should we (if at all) upgrade?

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

You think Bednarek in that team and we end up with a different outcome today?

Jan Bednarek? The Bednarek that plays for us?

Just now, CB Fry said:

You think Bednarek in that team and we end up with a different outcome today?

Jan Bednarek? The Bednarek that plays for us?

I think Forster and Bednarek starting would have helped. I'm not saying it would have won the game or got a draw, but I prefer them to McCarthy and Stephens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I think Forster and Bednarek starting would have helped. I'm not saying it would have won the game or got a draw, but I prefer them to McCarthy and Stephens.

But you are saying that those two are "fine" as first choice.

So we only need to buy a back up centre back, according to you.

Or are you going to pretend you did not say that, as is your usual style.

Edited by CB Fry

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

But you are saying that those two are "fine" as first choice.

So we only need to buy a back up centre back, according to you.

Or are you going to pretend you did not say that, as is your usual style.

I did not say that. You are twisting my words yet again! Saying they are 'fine for what we need', is not the same as saying an improvement shouldn't be signed. Try not twisting sentences to say things they don't say! 🙄

I want a Wanyama type figure for defensive midfield (I worry if Romeu is on the decline as a footballer), a Monkou type figure for centre back (tall and no-nonsense with few mistakes in him) and another left back in case Perraud doesn't adjust to the Premier League. (A moldable youngster.)

Then we can worry about attacking midfield and the fact we will have to watch Walcott, Redmond, Djenepo and Elyounoussi comically try to be attacking midfielders this season. I know I said I was against it but I'd be bringing Minamino back as something different. 

We are at least 4 first choice players away from being anywhere close to our best in the last ten years. 

Well done to Armstrong for scoring so early on though. Must be great for confidence. 

• Like 1