Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

6 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Given Ralph has only not selected Bednarek six times in 110 Premier League games. Once through injury, I think Hassenhuttl has a differing opinion of Bednarek than most here.

I get that, but has he really had an alternative? We all saw how he got murdered for pace many times. 

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Phillips wouldn't be an exciting signing but having thought about it, we probably need reliable and competent more than exciting at this point, and he does have a few things going for him:

- Experience of PL football, no adaptstion time unlike many of our signings

- Experience of a similar style at Liverpool and Klopp likes him

- Confidence from a really good finish to last season, and I am sure a desire to keep playing games now he had a taste of it

- English player where we have lost a couple, also meaning it would be easier to shift him if it didnt work out

- Height both defending and attacking set plays

I don’t know much about him but we ain’t signing a squad player at Liverpool for £15m for him to be 3rd or 4th choice here. He’ll be coming here to be first choice presumably with Salisu.

seems like Liverpool fans aren’t too happy he’s going. Read they’d rather keep Him and sell Matip

seems like he’s good in the air, a talker and leader we need and a proper warrior centre half which is what we need.

obviously not made that many appearances so far in his career but at 24 a good age. 

On paper at least given we’re not going to get anyone experienced looks like a good signing 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Nolan said:

For these five games where we earned 13 PTS from 15. The two centre backs were Bednarek and Stephens.

Vestergaard and Yoshida were on the bench.Screenshot_2021-08-12-20-55-10-99_df198e732186825c8df26e3c5a10d7cd.thumb.jpg.a8018bbbbb18fb52387ff94e10a9a9ca.jpg

It would be tragic over 38 games.  We all know it, hence why we will buy someone

I think Vestegaard is better than Nat Phillips, or else at that price Leicester would have gone for him. 

I’m slightly underwhelmed because I think Nat mainly only stood out due to playing with excellent players around him and a great GK.

I think if he joins us he won’t be as good. I was really hoping our scouts would be identifying something special here based off the way we sounded so casual and laid back about the Jannik situation.

Plus, bar Ings, Liverpool have made some decent money selling their fringe players.

I’d rather we banked the money and attempt to persuade Zouma or Dier to come on loan if a better alternative comes up.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nolan said:

For these five games where we earned 13 PTS from 15. The two centre backs were Bednarek and Stephens.

Vestergaard and Yoshida were on the bench.Screenshot_2021-08-12-20-55-10-99_df198e732186825c8df26e3c5a10d7cd.thumb.jpg.a8018bbbbb18fb52387ff94e10a9a9ca.jpg

We average 1.5 goals conceded per 90 minutes across the last 2 seasons when Bednarek plays. Admittedly that is better than Stephens or Salisu ( last season ), ( Vesty is slightly better ), but it isn't really good enough for a player that is our first choice..

Edited by badgerx16

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Leicester made £63m on Macguire 😃

If Saints are in a position to sell Philips for £78million in 2 years time I will hug SOGgy and tell him I personally apologise for every perceived sin the British Empire is accused of ever committing..

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

If Saints are in a position to sell Philips for £78million in 2 years time I will hug SOGgy and tell him I personally apologise for every perceived sin the British Empire is accused of ever committing..

It’s almost worth getting a second mortgage out to buy him for £78m myself just to witness that! 😉

What's with all the Phillips talk? I can't find any reliable links, the closest I can find is James Pearce about a week ago naming us alongside several others as being interested. What am I missing here?

Also, when did Vestergaard become so highly rated among fans of other clubs? The way some people are talking about him you could be forgiven for thinking that had more agility than a beached cargo ship in the Suez.

• Like 2

The disappointing thing about the potential Phillips signing is that I thought we might spend some of the Ings money on a genuine improvement at centre back, rather than just the exact amount we get for Vestergaard.

If it turns out to be this kid from Liverpool it's potential, fine, but it is interesting that this is a player demonstrably "for sale". Very much available.

I'd like us to buy someone less "for sale" - someone a club wants to actually keep.

Who is the Harry Maguire equivalent in the Championship now? A bit like Matty Cash to Villa last summer. Highly rated defender. We’ve done it with Armstrong fair enough but let's spend £20m on someone with two solid seasons in a tough league, not a little cameo and half a year in the German second tier.

Basically I am writing this Nat person off right now to save time later. Shit mate.

• Like 1

Interesting article about Phillips here: www.thisisanfield.com/2021/08/nat-phillips-still-not-in-training-as-options-open-up-for-15-million-move

Personally I think he sounds like an alright buy even if he is very similar to Vestergaard. I remember one match last season wheer the pundits were heaping praise on him for his performance, so let's hope that if we do sign him we see some of that!

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth

Just now, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Interesting article about Phillips here: www.thisisanfield.com/2021/08/nat-phillips-still-not-in-training-as-options-open-up-for-15-million-move

Personally I think he sounds like an alright buy even if he is very similar to Vestergaard. I remember one match last season wheer the pundits were heaping praise on him for his performance, so let's hope that if we do sign him we see some of that!

Dont forget the "Liverpool premium" when it comes to praise/hype for their players

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cartman said:

Also, when did Vestergaard become so highly rated among fans of other clubs? The way some people are talking about him you could be forgiven for thinking that had more agility than a beached cargo ship in the Suez.

He had a good Euros and a good 1/2 season for us so for many recency bias has kicked in.

Edited by nta786
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Given Ralph has only not selected Bednarek six times in 110 Premier League games. Once through injury, I think Hassenhuttl has a differing opinion of Bednarek than most here.

And how many goals have we conceded with Bednarek being a mainstay in the defence? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

He's toilet. If he was playing for Luton or Stoke no one would bat an eyelash. Has no outstanding attributes, is thoroughly average and was propped up by Liverpool's megastars last season. Pull the other one Saints!

Yep, in a nutshell. Far better options being mentioned earlier in the Vestergaard thread for £15m. I don’t know how Liverpool manage to mug clubs off for such big fees for their unwanted dross - Ibe, Solanke, Brewster and now Phillips. It was bad enough when Les was in awe of them like a starstruck boy but since we binned the stupid twit, how about we buy a decent player for that money from someone else? Before someone says we did well out of Ings, we did, but Liverpool probably didn’t think he’d do as well as he did, and he was still injured regularly. 

• Like 2

People seem overly harsh on Nat Phillips IMO, seems well rated by Liverpool fans, was well rated by pundits and well rated by stats sites. Klopp also seems to like him and wants to keep him. 

By pretty much any estimation the guy had a good season, and the few times I saw him I thought he looked good.

Fair enough questions about his pace and I doubt he has the long pass ability of Vestergaard, but he doesn't look like an obvious downgrade to me and at 24, has potential to improve and as others have said he's English so knows the league and should have no issue with settling. Also got to give the guy credit for handling the pressure IMO, dragged from their U23s and 2nd division in Germany to basically be their mainstay centre back to ensure a giant club like Liverpool doesn't miss out on the Champions league, many other a player probably would have folded. 

But as others have said I am not seeing the links aside some random ones on twitter, we were linked back in June with other PL clubs and as far as I can see that article has been re-hashed, and Liverpool fans have jumped to conclusions with us selling Vestergaard. 

• Like 1

My view is a CB is as good as the CB pairing he is part of…I.e. Phillips could link really well with Bednarek or Salisu and be much better than the Vestergard pairing. We just wouldn’t know until it was coached and tried. On that basis and the fact that Phillips has Prem experience I think it could be a good signing.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

My view is a CB is as good as the CB pairing he is part of…I.e. Phillips could link really well with Bednarek or Salisu and be much better than the Vestergard pairing. We just wouldn’t know until it was coached and tried. On that basis and the fact that Phillips has Prem experience I think it could be a good signing.

fair point but im more of the opinion that if you have one stand out cb he can carry the whole defensive line. vvd for a while was that for us

for me i rather we look around for a 20m caibre cb - whether we find a bargain for 15m or pay over the odds. i feel we need a real leader who can come in and partner bednarek or salisu. i havent seen much of this lad from liverpool, but i cant imagine he is much of an upgrade from vest or any of our current defenders

• Like 1

Couldn’t tell you anything about Nat Phillips, although the only “sources” I have seen are random Twitter idiots.

My guess is the CB we bring in will be completely out of the blue. But whoever it is I hope it is a a solid, tried and tested CB, not someone we can “mould” or consider “one for the future”. The experience at the back is vital to us staying up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sir Ralph said:

My initial reaction was Phillips would be a bad move. However, read this on the Liverpool Fans Forum - maybe we are underestimating him.

https://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/404968-Nat-Phillips/page42

£15m would be too much

They claimed Virgil was/is the greatest CB ever to play in the prem, when they won the league.

Remember, the hype around their players at the best of times. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Not really, Romeu had only made 34 does team appearances aged 23 when we signed him and Bertrand only 43 appearances aged 24 when we signed him. 

not sure where you get these figures from SC. Romeu had over 100 appearances and Bertrand nearly 200

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

not sure where you get these figures from SC. Romeu had over 100 appearances and Bertrand nearly 200

Indeed - both of them had played actual seasons of football (as you should have done by the age of 24).

This kid has hardly played anywhere, at all and not comparable to Bertrand or Romeu.

A little cameo for injury ravaged Liverpool is not evidence that this kid is any good.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

Bertrand had played for England as well as in and won a champions league final when we got him!

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Vincent Kompany, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry and Nemanja Vidic then maybe VirgilVan Dijk but I'm probably missing some.

Not for me. Van Dijk is as good defensively as all of them, quicker than all, and the better footballer bar perhaps Rio. I think some people's judgement of him can be influenced by the way he left us. 

Regardless, and back on topic, Philips is unproven, looks a bit agricultural, and is not a £15m player. 

10 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I'd like us to buy someone less "for sale" - someone a club wants to actually keep.

I always think like this. Buy players on the rise, the best of the league below (or abroad)...players teams desperately want to keep but need the cash, rather than players on the way down, ageing, not good enough.

However, we've bought a few from big clubs that have done pretty well like Romeu and Bertrand. Buying `young' players from big clubs that have yet to play/not played a lot is different ball game. Hope it works out for us.

When it comes to CB, it has become one of the hardest positions to find anyone decent. Pace, ball player and great in the air, is a hell of a skillset to find. 

Just now, egg said:

Not for me. Van Dijk is as good defensively as all of them, quicker than all, and the better footballer bar perhaps Rio. I think some people's judgement of him can be influenced by the way he left us. 

Regardless, and back on topic, Philips is unproven, looks a bit agricultural, and is not a £15m player. 

I think leadership is a key quality for any top centre half and the players I listed trump VVD in that regard. They have also won a lot more so had that experience at their peaks although VVD obviously has time to catch up in both these regards.

9 hours ago, Sir Ralph said:

My initial reaction was Phillips would be a bad move. However, read this on the Liverpool Fans Forum - maybe we are underestimating him.

https://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/404968-Nat-Phillips/page42

£15m would be too much

Given the position he finds himself in after doing well deputising, I suspect he’ll want a move to a club where he’ll be first choice. As he plays on the same side as Bednarek this could be an issue as I reckon Ralph rates Bednarek highly and will be loathe to promise Phillips a consistent starting place. Not sure this is going to happen on that basis although all other factors seem favourable.

Can someone tell me what's wrong with Phillips? I haven't seen enough of him but Liverpool fans think he's decent and don't really want to lose him. Sounds like he's a bit of a leader which is exactly what we are missing at the back. What do they know that we don't? 

Edited by hypochondriac

22 minutes ago, egg said:

Is £15m anywhere near a sizable transfer fee these days for a properly contracted player?  Crazy to think that Alan Shearer went to Newcastle for that size fee 25 years ago now!