Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

I think this too. Diallo could be an absolute star. Cant wait to watch him live.

I really like him and feel very uncomfortable about him being pushed down to fourth choice, but I'm not sure he can play with JWP. We struggled so badly without Romeu

I've always liked the Delany links - but thinking about it, would he swap the bench at Dortmund for the bench here? 

I imagine any versatle CB/CM will likely be in the Theo mould - happy to accept their place as a rotation player while passing on experience to Diallo, Salisu etc. I'm not sure who that would be though. 

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I feel like Stu Armstrong is our midfield creative force now, just with a different style of play. 

A quick look at Transfermarkt shows there are a few potentially good options out of contract, including a 29 year old centreback I'd never heard of but who has played for Napoli for the last 5 years, Jetro Willems who whilst unspectacular at Newcastle would provide decent backup at left back and is only 27, and other decent possibilities like Mustafi, Mangala, Ntcham. 

Did chuckle to see that Gaston Ramirez is without a club still.

I’ll probably get some shit for saying this and it won’t happen but I’d take Gaston back actually. Think he’s better then the majority of our tens bar Armstrong.

he always looked creative to me and was probably a tad unlucky we had lallana lambert and jrod all firing at the same time which reduced his chances..

always liked him personally and was superb for boro too 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I think the challenge with Hussenhuttle-ball, is that it's so intense, intricate and attacking that it relies on high levels of confidence across the team to pull it off.  When it works, we're brilliant, as we were during 2020, when it doesn't and heads drop it's catastrophic.  I've no problem with continuing to play like that, but there has to be a plan B to reverse fortunes when things aren't going well.

If things are going badly, I want to see Koeman style changes. He reverted to a back five (I am not calling for a back five by the way) and we booted it down the channels for Long to chase, turning the opposing back four and basically getting us on the front foot against the top teams. We looked much more solid, gained confidence and got our season going. From there he was able to revert back to a back four. 

When teams change their shape against us within a game and take charge, I want to see us change shape too.  The manager can prance about on the touchline all he likes to get attention and parity in terms of player wages, but its what he does to the shape of the side during a game that matters. Ralph has made changes that have worked...but not very often.

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

If things are going badly, I want to see Koeman style changes. He reverted to a back five (I am not calling for a back five by the way) and we booted it down the channels for Long to chase, turning the opposing back four and basically getting us on the front foot against the top teams. We looked much more solid, gained confidence and got our season going. From there he was able to revert back to a back four. 

When teams change their shape against us within a game and take charge, I want to see us change shape too.  The manager can prance about on the touchline all he likes to get attention and parity in terms of player wages, but its what he does to the shape of the side during a game that matters. Ralph has made changes that have worked...but not very often.

Agreed. His game management is often questionable. Even during the latest 9-0 I saw very little reaction, tactically. One can hope that he doesn't persist with the 'Djenepo is great as a defender, just not at the defending bits' mentality. Build a strong spine, from the back. Make us hard to beat. Add goals. About time we had this, to be honest...

50 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I really like him and feel very uncomfortable about him being pushed down to fourth choice, but I'm not sure he can play with JWP. We struggled so badly without Romeu

I often argue that it should take top footballers no time at all to settle into a new side. I think the one position that takes the longest is centre midfield. Understanding your role, how to work with your partner in the middle etc. So maybe he can get that right this season. The other option is for us to play all three. I don't see why we can't try that in certain games. Sticking with this 4222 religiously is stupid, especially when you are losing every week.

8 minutes ago, DT said:

Agreed. His game management is often questionable. Even during the latest 9-0 I saw very little reaction, tactically. One can hope that he doesn't persist with the 'Djenepo is great as a defender, just not at the defending bits' mentality. Build a strong spine, from the back. Make us hard to beat. Add goals. About time we had this, to be honest...

Money is tight, that must be the single reason why he would ever rely on Djenepo as cover at left back. Lee Buchanan is available for buttons from Derby. Id' hope if we have a few quid we would spend it as Perraud could get injured in the first game and then what? We cant have what happened last season when KWP got injured happen again.

• Like 1

If we can push them to about £18 million for Vestergaard, which is basically what we paid for him, I'd take that.

That would give us around £25 million (maybe a bit more) to add to the squad. Nat Phillips on a loan to buy, with like £12 ish million fee, and then go get someone like Delaney for £10-12 million.  Should also leave funds to maybe go get a B team left back for £5 million or so. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Viking Saint said:

Fair, balanced and hard to argue with

Yeah I think it's very reasonable. 14th is a good prediction too. If we get a bit of luck we might be a top half challenger, if we get bad luck we could be in a relegation battle but I think we will be the definition of midtable mediocrity this year. I'm fine with this, we need to slowly build ourselves up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Not at all. Said specifically we would sign a replacement if Vest leaves.

Ahhh.

Must admit I haven't listened to it; the 'no more signings' seemed to be the message I picked up here.

(I generally try to get my news second hand, and based on rumour and hearsay. It gives me the chance to make assumptions and get nice and angry without the effort of doing my own research).

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Ahhh.

Must admit I haven't listened to it; the 'no more signings' seemed to be the message I picked up here.

(I generally try to get my news second hand, and based on rumour and hearsay. It gives me the chance to make assumptions and get nice and angry without the effort of doing my own research).

That sounds like about 95% of us on here ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

But we won a shed load of games before that playing the formation. So is it not more likely the injuries/compressed schedule were behind that not the unsuitability of the players to the formation.

We've brought in cover at fullback. We're told that Livramento can play there. While that & the notion of perhaps someone being brought into u23 setup might not be perfect it is considerably better than last year.

Yes, the injuries killed us and who knows where things might have gone without them. But what about when everyone (except Romeu) was fully fit?

We haven't bought left back cover.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I often argue that it should take top footballers no time at all to settle into a new side. I think the one position that takes the longest is centre midfield. Understanding your role, how to work with your partner in the middle etc. So maybe he can get that right this season. The other option is for us to play all three. I don't see why we can't try that in certain games. Sticking with this 4222 religiously is stupid, especially when you are losing every week.

We didn't stick with it rigidly toward the end of last season. Several times we played a different formation, people argued it wasn't 3 or 5 at the back (fair enough to an extent), but it was a flexible formation with 5 at the back without the ball and 4 with the ball, one of the FBs getting forward when we were attacking and the rest of the back line shuffling over. We were definitely play 3 CBs, but you could argue that they weren't operating as CBs all of the time (Salisu and Stephens specifically). It is why I am very sceptical of the stuff coming out of the Forum that we are done in the transfer market, whether Vest leaves or not I'm sure that Ralph wants the flexibility to play this way again this season and not the rigid 4222.

Incidentally if Vest leaves people seem to be missing an important point, without him we are a team of (relative) midgets, I am not his greatest fan, but he gives us an awful lot in the opposition's area when we are attacking (set pieces). Bednarek, Salisu and Stephens are not that big and have no overwhelming presence when up for corners/free kicks. We will certainly need to replace Vest, and I think another CB is needed as well, but it is no good getting a young inexperienced CB in for this, we need an experienced, big man. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Incidentally if Vest leaves people seem to be missing an important point, without him we are a team of (relative) midgets, I am not his greatest fan, but he gives us an awful lot in the opposition's area when we are attacking (set pieces). 

Could not agree more. He caused a lot of problems offensively and obviously scored goals in the first half of the season. Defensively, off a standing jump he was never beaten. We must add height if he leaves. Getting pace and ball skills too is the holy grail of centre backs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Could not agree more. He caused a lot of problems offensively and obviously scored goals in the first half of the season. Defensively, off a standing jump he was never beaten. We must add height if he leaves. Getting pace and ball skills too is the holy grail of centre backs.

The holy grail is totally out of our price range unless mr Croker et al have found an undiscovered gem.

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Very much this his inability to react to other teams changes costs us so many points, cannot afford, at this level, to stick so stubbornly to one system.

18 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

A 29 year old with one year left on his contract who most people aren't too worried about leaving, is worth how much?

International defender with suitors from more than one club. Methinks our overdraft is quite high. Very quick to accept IMO 

Now just to shift JWP for a realistic £35-40m and we march on.

I would not be unhappy with that; talk of £50/60/70m for him is ridiculous. Another player who doesn't really suit the Hasenhuttl play-book (he is simply too ponderous, accepting his dead-ball ability) but who may well better fit a different system. Hojbjerg was mourned by few here, but seems to suit Spurs well.

Edited by SaveloyMush
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

this dude can play cb and defensive midfield.

1yr left on his contract

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2021/newcastle-offer-e14m-for-marseille-midfielder-boubacar-kamara/

Also honourable mention in evan ndicka at frankfurt whose a cb who can cover left back

That's the fella I was thinking of - fits our profile, like you said...1 year left, should be available for around 14/15m.

CB/CM....ticks a lot of boxes. Be interesting to see how we replace Vestergaard, although I do feel that the club see Salisu as the immediate replacement.

• Like 1

Some Liverpool analysis just after VVD got injured on Phillips - https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/10/rhys-williams-billy-koumetio-nat-phillips-liverpools-three-centre-back-options-assessed/

Suggestion that Liverpool might be open to buy now pay later deal https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/08/liverpool-open-to-2nd-buy-now-pay-later-deal-for-nat-phillips/

The lack of passing range I can cope with but the lack of pace with it is a killer. Sounds like an English Bednarek. A couple of posters have mentioned Kamara, much more the type of player that suits RH’s system.

Edited by saint1977

We really don't need another centre-back with a lack of pace, whatever their other qualities. Speed is becoming ever-more important in an attacker's list of attributes (which helps to make the game of football more exciting); going against the grain and taking yet another technical but sluggish defender would be a horrific mistake.

Edited by SaveloyMush
  • Like 1

The chat has been we want a CB who can also play #6. If that is still the same then Phillips is out the question.

Personally I would avoid Phillips. He did ok but had low expectations given Liverpool's injuries and he isnt good on the ball. We already have Bednarek and Salisu who are uncomfortable in possession.

Annoying timing as Guehi would have been ideal.

Edited by Dusic