Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

4 hours ago, TWar said:

Made me think, how much is there in the non-penalty goals per 90 between our strikers so I made a table of non-penalty goals per 90 for our current forwards and four linked targets

image.png.20621829f546e1f4b07fb998ba4030e2.png

• As we can see Ings is way out ahead, even his weaker seasons either side of his prolific season are ahead of Adams average by a fair margin.
  • This shows Adams needs a good goal scorer next to him.
  • Long, Redmond, Tella are not the answer from the limited sample we have here.
  • Obafemi had a good season but the sample size was rather small of 661 minutes

Of the new guys to sign, Tammy would be ideal.

• Great numbers and also in the prem, actually a better prem average than Ings, so would be a super replacement. Unlikely though!
  • If one assumes that the Scottish premier league is a similar strength to the Championship then Edouard is clearly stronger than Armstrong, although Armstrong's most recent season is significantly stronger so has form on his side
  • Armstrong has a better championship season last year than Tammy did before he stepped up. His average is a bit lower but he was a little younger in his first season which brings it down a bit
  • Sorloth is poor and we should steer well clear, even with his stint in the turkish super lig pulling up his stats he is still the worst option of the potential signings. His average outdoes Adams but not by significantly enough as a target man, especially considering the weaker league, therefore him next to Adams would likely be a very poor idea.

I might make another stats post about signings soon, want to let us make a few more though first as suspect there may be action before the first day of the season.

EDIT: Note, there is an error in Austin's average in the table, it is, ofcourse, 0.18 which puts him above Tella and Long. I didn't set the divide properly so did it manually and must have missed Chaz.

Nice analysis buddy..

could you include that Uruguayan striker we were linked with a while ago darwin Nunez? 

He looked fantastic to me and like a prime torres from the you tube.. might be out of our range but not more unrealistic then Tammy :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Turkish said:

You know I was thinking the other day Gabbiadini is perfect for Ralph’s system. Hard working, great clever movement, good finisher would be perfect running the space behind Adams. 

another player we messed around and completely wasted his talent. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure why this £70m loan keeps being brought up. We haven't got that loan to buy players, it's to cover all sorts of losses over forthcoming years, not just year 1 or year 2.

It may help with a little bit of flexibility in the market in some situations, but I've never, ever seen that loan as a loan to help us buy players. It's to sustain the club in light of the enormous losses seen last year.

Has the club stated what the loan was for?

Did we lose £70m last year then? Is that how much match revenue we take? 

What do you mean losses for `forthcoming years'? Why should we lose money this year?

Just now, Chez said:

Has the club stated what the loan was for?

Did we lose £70m last year then? Is that how much match revenue we take? 

What do you mean losses for `forthcoming years'? Why should we lose money this year?

It was in one of the fans forums, or some sort of forum with Martin. The loan was explained has being taken out to cover losses which were heightened by the pandemic. The lack of income from 1 season will be felt for years to come for many clubs. 

Who knows, that loan may have already been eaten up. We don't know.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

It was in one of the fans forums, or some sort of forum with Martin. The loan was explained has being taken out to cover losses which were heightened by the pandemic. The lack of income from 1 season will be felt for years to come for many clubs. 

Who knows, that loan may have already been eaten up. We don't know.

The club lost £76m in 19/20, and no doubt a shit load last season too, so very good chance of that.

Just now, Chez said:

The club lost £76m in 19/20, and no doubt a shit load last season too, so very good chance of that.

Let's be fair, we are also paying for incredible mismanagement during the Kruger/Reed years. Financially they tied us up to some shit contracts and reinvested poorly. That's what we're paying for now.

1 hour ago, SKD said:

Both over priced, both because we missed out on first choice, both absolutely dog shit. 

Can't recall who our first choice was ahead of signing Carillo I thought he was Pelligrino's out and out 'must have' option.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Can't recall who our first choice was ahead of signing Carillo I thought he was Pelligrino's out and out 'must have' option.

Wasn’t it Theo (or was that a different window)? Pretty sure we were in for him and he chose Everton. 

Very late I know - but have just binged watched Sunderland Til I Die. I can’t help but feel I’m watching some kind of premonition of Saints future plight. It’s all incredibly similar. Anyway hope not but we are going to need some absolute top notch negotiation/scouting next couple of weeks. Maybe it’s just me but I can’t help but feel that for whatever reason it’s not a happy camp at the moment (either player or manager), really hope that isn’t the case as a split camp would spell certain relegation. Feel like Ralph’s solution to Ings is to try and split the goals amongst the squad - so a few others need to take responsibility.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I’ll reserve judgement but I really don’t want Sorloth. 
If he is the replacement I’d rather have kept Ings in his final year.

I’m no scout but there surely has to be someone better available.

You're right, you're not a scout.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/alexander-sorloth-who-is-rb-leipzig-striker-erling-haaland-king-of-north-12938

Reading more into it, he's quite highly praised by his peers. Works hard to improve his game, left footed, tall (which will help from JWP set pieces) and a good age at 25. I'd only known him from his spell at Palace but it looks as though he has improved. His goal rate for Norway is decent too, 1 in 3. 

It definitely sounds like he could be an asset. Him AND someone like Armstrong and we'd be in good shape in attack.

43 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Very late I know - but have just binged watched Sunderland Til I Die. I can’t help but feel I’m watching some kind of premonition of Saints future plight. It’s all incredibly similar. Anyway hope not but we are going to need some absolute top notch negotiation/scouting next couple of weeks. Maybe it’s just me but I can’t help but feel that for whatever reason it’s not a happy camp at the moment (either player or manager), really hope that isn’t the case as a split camp would spell certain relegation. Feel like Ralph’s solution to Ings is to try and split the goals amongst the squad - so a few others need to take responsibility.

Funny you should mention that you feel it’s not a happy camp. I too have a feeling something isn’t quite right.. Confusing though as from the outside Hasenhuttl looks like he is liked by the players and I thought the team spirit liked good didn’t. I like him and he certainly comes over well to me. My concern is that if the payers do not buy totally into his playing system it is not going to work and is this the issue.
I feel Ings going to Villa was as much about not fancying the club [whether that’s the manager, the system we play, who knows) as ambition. Could have felt differently if he had gone to one  the top 4 teams.                                                                   Is Hasenhuttl now seeing the reality of his situation regarding lack of funds and the players he has to work with and is feeling lost or even out of his depth. I am hoping I am over reacting and a few decent signings and wins and things will feel better but …….

45 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/alexander-sorloth-who-is-rb-leipzig-striker-erling-haaland-king-of-north-12938

Reading more into it, he's quite highly praised by his peers. Works hard to improve his game, left footed, tall (which will help from JWP set pieces) and a good age at 25. I'd only known him from his spell at Palace but it looks as though he has improved. His goal rate for Norway is decent too, 1 in 3. 

It definitely sounds like he could be an asset. Him AND someone like Armstrong and we'd be in good shape in attack.

Interesting read, but it was written (it says 45 weeks ago) before his poor season at Leipzig so I wonder if the updated version would be as promising.

In fairness all we know of him and can judge him on is his time at Palace, I don't think we can read too much into his time in Turkey in a fairly poor league. He might prove an asset but on the face of it this isn't one to get excited about. I'd prefer Armstrong but it looks as if we've shit the bed in that regard.

There is the unfortunate comparison with the misguided and desperate signing Carillo already, but thinking back it reminds me of another signing some years ago of a tall, fairly lumbering forward, Iain Dowie. Branfoot was at pains to point out he's experienced and a current full international, to which I think most Saints fans thought "yeh, but he's still shit..". That was without the benefit of youtube. 

Sorloth might offer something but I don't expect him to be the regular goalscorer we need. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hodgey said:

It’s a great watch.

But you’re right. There is every chance that could soon be us. Though their senior management team in League 1 were very David Brent….

• Like 1

To add a bit of perspective, the side that started today for Man City cost £380m and the subs that came on cost £300m.

Am I the only one who thinks that the ESL would have been good for the 14 or so clubs that would have been left in the EPL?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

I don't think we can read too much into his time in Turkey in a fairly poor league.

Poor league maybe but they got him to score at a rate way above anything else in his career, reminds me of that article about that Greek guy for VVV Venlo who we were also apparently linked with, is it fluke or is it maybe just a case of where a team plays to his strengths.

Maybe a bit of both, so might be clasping at straws but maybe there is something there to get the best out of him, maybe to not score that many goals in PL as he did in Turkey but a decent amount (say like 15). Interesting note on his wikipedia that says he broke some sort of instragram record or something for comments on a post and apparently is was fans from that Turkish club asking him back they loved him so much. 

Just now, ecuk268 said:

To add a bit of perspective, the side that started today for Man City cost £380m and the subs that came on cost £300m.

Am I the only one who thinks that the ESL would have been good for the 14 or so clubs that would have been left in the EPL?

It would be disastrous for Saints financially. The TV deal for the remaining clubs would be tiny in comparison to the current PL deal. 

Just now, tajjuk said:

Poor league maybe but they got him to score at a rate way above anything else in his career, reminds me of that article about that Greek guy for VVV Venlo who we were also apparently linked with, is it fluke or is it maybe just a case of where a team plays to his strengths.

Maybe a bit of both, so might be clasping at straws but maybe there is something there to get the best out of him, maybe to not score that many goals in PL as he did in Turkey but a decent amount (say like 15). Interesting note on his wikipedia that says he broke some sort of instragram record or something for comments on a post and apparently is was fans from that Turkish club asking him back they loved him so much. 

Fair points of course.

If it goes well, then excellent, but if not we should at least be able to loan him to a club in Turkey whilst subsidising his wages for the remaining three or four years of his contract.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard is on Southampton's list of options to replace Danny Ings, but a deal at this stage ‘looks unlikely - any move for Blackburn striker Adam Armstrong is not looking ‘particularly promising’ either #saintsfc [@TomBarclay_]

🚨| Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray has confirmed that there is a 'cut-off date' for Adam Armstrong's possible exit, if interested clubs go past this then ‘he’ll be staying’ #saintsfc [@lancstelegraph]

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨| Southampton have been ‘in contact’ with Liverpool regarding centre-back Nat Phillips, the 24-year-old defender is available for £12-15million #saintsfc [@TheAthleticUK]

Definitely available.  Had a decent season last season & good in the air (if Vesty goes).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨| Southampton have been ‘in contact’ with Liverpool regarding centre-back Nat Phillips, the 24-year-old defender is available for £12-15million #saintsfc [@TheAthleticUK]

I don’t really see the sense in it. There seems to be much more pressing areas.

• Like 1

I like this deal.

Vestergaard is too slow and Leicester are good for him at 20M.

This should leave us to get either Eduardo or Sorloth and possible 2 good loan deals if we keep the wages down.

I don’t see why we can’t get Brandon Williams/Delaney and Abraham on loan.

2 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I like this deal.

Vestergaard is too slow and Leicester are good for him at 20M.

This should leave us to get either Eduardo or Sorloth and possible 2 good loan deals if we keep the wages down.

I don’t see why we can’t get Brandon Williams/Delaney and Abraham on loan.

I think we need to forget about Abraham.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

I would be happy with Sorloth + Armstrong or Edouard or another striker. But Sorloth alone would leave us much weaker in the striker dept compared with last season and would be worrying

We won’t be getting both. All of those 3 are valued at c15m. It’ll at best one of those 3 with a cheap (Greek geezer) or loan player (like Origi) as second. It’ll be most likely just one or cheap fella plus loan.