Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

9 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

And if we get relegated his asset becomes significantly devalued

Gao will still want £250m if we went down ;) 

I do hate the lack of communication coming from him about what he wants beyond the rubbish of "I am treating Saints as a child not to be fattened" or some rubbish like that

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We're all assuming that the loan is for player transfers. Do we know exactly what that's paid for? Nope....

I assume it was to cover the enormous shortfall of almost a year without match-day revenue or hospitality revenue, that is massive. And that shortfall will be felt over many years to come and that loan will help cover that over numerous years.

I think it's naive and daft to think ''Oh, we have an 80m loan - just spent £40m on Abraham' - that is EXACTLY the mentality that gets you relegated and in League 1 with Wigan and no money.

At least with this approach, whilst we may still go down, we're not going to be suffering from having spent over our means in the recent years. 

Let's also revisit some of those mega signings we've made in the past that were supposed to propel us:

£18m Boufal - Fail

£20m Carillo  - Fail

£17m Hoedt - Fail

£16m Lemina - Fail

£18m Osvaldo - Fail

Our best value has come from the Armstrongs, KWP's, Bednareks, Tadic's, Mane's - that £10-15m bracket. Yes, values have changed over the last few years, but they're still out there if the scouting is good enough.

I'm desperate for us to improve the squad and invest, but as we are today the answer isn't just spending £40m on one player when as a club we clearly cannot sustain that under the current ownership model.

Quite. No words for the ones trying to dress up a £40m panic bid for tammy Abraham as "Leadership" and anyone who disagrees with them as lacking it and wrong 😄

Amazing how some fans think we have that kind of money, and that football is so black and white 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Trouble is the players that were in the 10/15m bracket two seasons ago, are now in the 20/25m bracket now. The vast majority of clubs, both home and aboard cannot sell at those prices anymore unless they are absolutely desperate for the cash. Not knocking the club, but we are shopping at the absolute bargain basement of world football. It can be done, but as others have said our recruitment and scouting needs to be the dogs bollocks. 

• Like 1

Could we get Tino Wener or Pelle to come back?

In all seriousness what about the bundesliga or french leage or spanish league 

Any cheap strikers that could do a job i.e scored 15 goals last season? must be somebody out there. 

My own thoughts break the bank and get Tammy Abraham don't care what it takes buy back, loan just get the damm thing done that is the calibre of player we need.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Just read that Armstrong wants to go to Palace and that he's due to have a medical this weekend.

Origi on loan seems to be a strong rumour on Merseyside.

Until we realise we have to pay a loan fee and start haggling over £100k

Look away @Charlie Wayman

was going to post this in this tread but......

Updated post-Grealish deal. Varane would take Manchester United back to number one spot but Kane would swing it back City's way.

zzLUdMO.png

Xa8zLZF.png

Man City officially into vile Billion Pound territory :dead:

Christ Arsenal have been poorly managed

Pep spent a billion euros in 5 years at city, OGS 390ml euros in 3 years and Klopp 600ml EUR in 6 years.  LvG 350ml and Mourinho 400ml.

Man U Incredible spending for 1 top four finish.

City have won 4 leagues, 6 Carabao cups and 2 Fa cups in that time.

United have won 1 league, 1 carabao cup, 1 fa cup and 1 europa league

No question over who's spent the money better. 

2021 Summer Transfers

Arsenal - 3 - £75.2m - Tavares (£8m), Lokonga (£17.2m), White (£50m)
Aston Villa - 4 - £83m - Buendia (£33m), Young (free), Bailey (£25m), Ings (£25m)
Brentford - 3 - £25.6m - Onyeka (£8.6m), Ajer (£13.5m), Peart-Harris (£3.5m)

Brighton - 1 - £18m - Mwepu (£18m)
Burnley - 2 - £12m - Collins (£12m), Hennessey (free)
Chelsea - 1 - £0 - Bettinelli (free)
Crystal Palace - 4 - £40.9m - Olise (£8m), Matthews (free), Guehi (£18m), Andersen (£14.9m)
Everton - 3 - £1.7m - Townsend (free), Begovic (free), Gray (£1.7m)
Leeds - 2 - £24m - Harrison (£11m), Firpo (£13m)
Leicester - 3 - £39m - Daka (£22m), Soumare (£17m), Bertrand (free)
Liverpool - 1 - £35m - Konate (£35m)
Man City - 1 - £100m - Grealish (£100m)
Man Utd - 2 - £73m - Heaton (free), Sancho (£73m)
Newcastle - 0 - £0 
Norwich - 6 - £32.4m - Rashica (£9.4m), Gunn (£5m), Gilmour (loan), Lees-Melou (£3.5m), Gibson (£8m), Giannoulis (£6.5m)

Southampton - 2 - £11m - Walcott (free), Perraud (£11m)
Tottenham - 2 - £21.6m -  Gollini (loan), Gil (£21.6m)
Watford - 7 - £13.5m - Louza (£10m), Fletcher (free), Rose (free), Dennis (£3.5m), Etebo (loan), King (free), Mebude (free)

West Ham - 2 - £2m - Dawson (£2m), Areola (loan)
Wolves - 4 - £20.8m - Mosquera (£4.5m), Trincao (loan), Ait-Nouri (£9.5m), Sa (£6.8m)

Total Signings: 53
Total Spend: £628,700,000

Transfer Window SLAMS Shut: 11pm, 31 August

9 minutes ago, John B said:

I think you are slightly negative we did OK last season until the horrific run of injuries to key players and the congested fixture list culminated in our Semi Final at Wembley

Our ambition over the last fifty years has been to be as competitive as possible in the top flight and I think that has been achieved as we are a well established member of the PL but not one of the top ten on a regular basis

As a fan over those years I have of course had ups and downs but the ups including being at the top of the PL only for a short time last season have been worthwhile 

The only way for a team to regularly successful is to be in a large city with a large fanbase and a billionaire owner

I have two friends one a Man City supporter and the other a Chelsea one who never believe that thirty years that they would be supporting major clubs in europe.

I am fairly confident that we will be OK this season as we have some decent players who should improve to be top class players in the next couple of years

Losing Ings is not the end of the world as we have £28m to invest 

I hate to think what I would be feeling if I had been born in Portsmouth instead of Southampton especially as Pompey we one of the top clubs in my early childhood

I am slightly negative because we haven’t recruited what we needed to. Where is Romeu replacement? The position we couldn’t cover at all in those games post Leeds? 
I liked Perraud from what I saw the other night. We have signed a good academy player for right back but should we be relying on that 68 goals conceded and nothing done to improve that has me negative you are correct

Just now, ally_uk said:

Any cheap strikers that could do a job i.e scored 15 goals last season? must be somebody out there. 

My own thoughts break the bank and get Tammy Abraham don't care what it takes buy back, loan just get the damm thing done that is the calibre of player we need.

I don't want Tammy Abraham at all - rumoured to be £40m and also rumours he wants £130k a week +, and his goalscoring record with better players around him at Chelsea wasn't the greatest last season

Just now, ally_uk said:

I'm not sure Abraham is all that. Sure he is a decent player, but I don't think he is what we need. Villa were credited with an interest in him, and he even spent time on loan with them, I would have thought they would have been more likely to go for him rather than Ings.

26 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Just read that Armstrong wants to go to Palace and that he's due to have a medical this weekend.

Origi on loan seems to be a strong rumour on Merseyside.

With an option to buy?  Not sure about Origi but he’s got to better than Schlong! 

39 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

But you need an owner who is willing to accept that risk first and foremost, we don't. He's invisible, doesn't get involved, not inputting at all.

I doubt he's going to want debt saddled on his purchase either, so we are fully constrained because of the ownership. We cannot spend above our means because we have no way of getting money that we don't have. Other clubs with ownership that is engaged have that bit of flexibility where there is sometimes the approach to speculate to accumulate, which is what I think you're referring to, but without ownership engaged then we're stuffed. We literally have to generate every penny ourselves.

I've never heard of that happening before, but it's happening here.

You've never heard of a club having an owner who can't put in their own money so it has to be self-sustaining? 🤷

In fact you could argue we have spent above our means because we've taken out that loan to get us through covid.

Your thing about Gao not being engaged is a red herring. He just doesn't speak to the public. It's in his interest as much as ours that the club doesn't get relegated, there's no way he's just ignoring us. What he has done is delegated a lot of decision making to people he trusts

I wonder how much Graziano Pelle would cost now - when we purchased him, he had scored 50 goals in 57 league games for Feyenoord in the Dutch league.

These days if someone had that sort of record it would be £20m+ surely. 

Anyone we do buy, I just hope that it is someone who has a knack of scoring, someone who has found the back of the net or has shown a 15+ season at least once before - not a Carrillo for example!

I was keen on Armstrong for that reason, but obviously I am aware that having one, or even two good seasons in other leagues doesn't translate into proficiency in the PL - see Adams at Birmingham or Werner at Leipzig

Edited by nta786

37 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Always worry about one season wonders at that age....

If he's available for under £5m as is rumoured it seems like a pretty low risk bet.

Weird he's not more hyped to be honest, Daka gets 27 goals in the Austrian league and is linked with Liverpool and Chelsea, eventually ending up at Leicester for £25m. This guy gets 26 goals in a stronger league as part of a weaker team and no one seems interested. Granted he is 4 years older and his history before this season isn't exactly inspiring whereas Daka has two good seasons instead of one but £5m still feels very very cheap.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TWar said:

If he's available for under £5m as is rumoured it seems like a pretty low risk bet.

Weird he's not more hyped to be honest, Daka gets 27 goals in the Austrian league and is linked with Liverpool and Chelsea, eventually ending up at Leicester for £25m. This guy gets 26 goals in a stronger league as part of a weaker team and no one seems interested. Granted he is 4 years older and his history before this season isn't exactly inspiring whereas Daka has two good seasons instead of one but £5m still feels very very cheap.

i don’t know if he’s any good, but at 5m, as you say it’s a low risk signing. It’d also allow us to explore the option of a second, more expensive, striker (Armstrong, that lad from PSV etc.).

Edited by SKD

22 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Would be a good signing.

I know it doesnt always play out this way, but Alireza Jahanbakhsh was the top scorer in Eredivisie 3 years ago. He went on to score 2 goals in 50 appearances for Brighton.
But yeah, if he really is available for £5m then worth a punt :)

4 hours ago, craig said:

Ollie Watkins went to Villa for about £30 million. Great first season for Villa. 

Indeed, I meant that I think 20m is way too high for a champ striker with a year left

3 minutes ago, St Louis said:

I know it doesnt always play out this way, but Alireza Jahanbakhsh was the top scorer in Eredivisie 3 years ago. He went on to score 2 goals in 50 appearances for Brighton.
But yeah, if he really is available for £5m then worth a punt :)

huge gamble if he is our only striker signing. 

Just now, Turkish said:

You reckon?

I can’t see it. I could see him and a loan though. 

I’m not a huge fan as an ings replacement, but it’d be a real kick in the teeth if Armstrong rejects us (or we try playing hard   Ball and miss out). 

He’s clearly very high up our list and I must admit, I felt like there was a deal to be done with Blackburn in a part ex with obafemi. 

Still hopefully we’ll be in for Eduoard

Just now, SKD said:

I’m not a huge fan as an ings replacement, but it’d be a real kick in the teeth if Armstrong rejects us (or we try playing hard   Ball and miss out). 

He’s clearly very high up our list and I must admit, I felt like there was a deal to be done with Blackburn in a part ex with obafemi. 

Hate to be the one to fuel your negativity but GFFN just came out and said Brighton hoping to wrap up Edouard deal within the next week.

We've done some decent business this window, in getting rid of some deadwood, and new signings. Tino was a unexpected surprise that came from nowhere; although we'd been in discussions since March I don't recall any rumours about him.

I am much more confident in our transfer dealings this window than in past years.

Surely the Greek guy would be brought in as an option (i.e. not the main man)? Adams/Tella/Greek guy + another? (Long/Obi out; Redmond nowhere near a CF role).

Wonder if we'd go for a buy/buy-back option for the young guy at Arsenal (don't remeber his name....the one who was out of contract this summer, but re-signed)?

14 minutes ago, SKD said:

This Greek fella and Origi on loan. People will applaud what great business it is, how we've replaced Ings with a proven premier league striker and a player who could be amazing for £5m plus a loan fee.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

This Greek fella and Origi on loan. People will applaud what great business it is, how we've replaced Ings with a proven premier league striker and a player who could be amazing for £5m plus a loan fee.

Certainly worth a punt if that's the level we have set for ourselves. If we can spread Ings' goals around a bit a new striker only needs to be at the 10 goals a season level for his first season. A much bigger gain to be made in strengthening the defence and conceding 10 to 12 fewer goals.

7 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Giakoumakis's CV is remarkably depressing for a 26 year old. One good season in Holland throughout his entire career is something we shouldn't even be thinking about.

Agreed. There simply has to be better options.

9 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Giakoumakis's CV is remarkably depressing for a 26 year old. One good season in Holland throughout his entire career is something we shouldn't even be thinking about.

When Graziano Pelle was 26 years old he had not even had a good season at Feyonoord (his two good years came after 26). His best season was 10 goals in Serie B on loan at Cesena.

Edited by Matthew Le God

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Surely even you realise how stupid that point is right? 

You gave a reason for not wanting him due to his career record... I highlighted an extremely successful signing Saints have made that had an even worse record at a comparable age.

Edited by Matthew Le God

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

You gave a reason for not wanting him due to his career record... I highlighted an extremely successful signing Saints have made that had an even worse record at a comparable age.

How do you not realise how irrelevant that is?

We didn't sign Pelle due to how he was whilst he was shit?